Beauty and the Beast (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Beauty and the Beast (Live-Action)

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow that's hilarious lol. Do you have a link to Dan Stevens singing for the film without the effect on his voice? I would love to hear it!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow, 100 pages!

Anyway, I decided to re-do how I wish the live-action gold Belle dress looked. I found a retrousse 18th century dress in a picture, that kind of looked like the animated ripples and folds, so, I used that. I also gave it longer sleeves than my previous attempt. Both things for JeanGreyForever. Here it is:

Here's 18th century sketch I used as inspiration:
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

What a gorgeous design. The sleeves make a huge difference imo and it makes me sad that they were in the concept art but not in the final design. I love how you made the skirt. It really does resemble the Venetian curtain design of her animated dress. I like how you kept the pattern at the bottom of her gown like in the 2017 movie one since that was something I actually didn't mind. I really wish the film had featured something like this over that tasteless prom dress used! They should have used you in costume design over Emma Watson's "contributions" anyday.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks for your opinion and kind words! I am so glad you like it, and yes, I had to use the pattern on her dress from the film because I actually do like that element.
Last edited by Disney Duster on Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I can see Luke Evans being one of those actors hollywood looks at a typical pretty boy until he does that one big dramatic role and take everyone by surprise by his talented.

He was very good Gaston. He fit the role.

I wonder when people will get tired of Josh Gad's usual stick.

Hw was good in this movie but i feel he will become perty one note after a while.

Kind of like Adam Salander just to be really well liked and now i never hear enything good about him at all or how Jim Carry used to be one of the biggest stars in Hollywood untill audinces beacome bored with his brand of comdey.

Ewan McGregor continues to show his versatility in this movie herr playing a very theatrical showman typ role.

McGreogor seems to be able to play many typs of roles.

Emma Thompson was just great in this movie and the original was played Angela Lansbury a legend in her entertainment. Not an easy act to follow.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

She seems to have come around from her previous criticism of the film.
While Woolverton has not worked on the recent and incredibly popular live-action versions of some of her animated hits, she’s not resistant to them. If anything, she sees the value in bringing her kind of magic to a new generation. “It’s interesting to the audience to see somebody they love, somebody like Emma Watson playing Belle. That’s cool, right?,” she said. “Let’s go see Emma Watson, or Beyonce playing Nala. It’s a sort of nostalgic thing, we’re going to get that feeling again, and we’re going to give it to our kids who didn’t get that original at the same time we got it, and we can share that. … I think that’s a really good reason to do it. It’s bringing it to life in a different way for a new generation.” Still, she conceded, “Some are more successful than others.”
Source: https://www.indiewire.com/2019/10/linda ... 202182354/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I wonder which films she's referring to with her statement of “some are more successful than others.”
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I like what she said. I mean, I've always wanted live-action versions of my favorite animated movies as a kid. I, too, do wonder what she means about which films are more successful and which are not.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Sean Bailey, the president of production at Disney Studios, talks about the remake in a new interview.
Sean Bailey wrote:We did recognize that from a gender perspective, it’s a complicated story. We really worked to sort of bolster and ballast parts of the story, such as, why does Belle live in the provincial town? And we gave a back story that the mother had fallen ill with the plague in Paris and they’d moved away and that the father Maurice was incredibly overprotective and why he didn’t want her to leave. We really worked on the idea that — why doesn’t Belle just leave?

So we worked hard on the scene where, for example, the Beast saves her from the wolf attack. And he’s in mortal peril. And so she stays with him because she’s such a good soul that her conscience couldn’t allow her to leave him to die, which gave them a little time to bond. And we also thought it was really important to, have her try to escape, have her not engage with him, and at a certain point in the movie — and I’m not going to get the dialogue exactly right — but he says, “Could you ever be happy here?” And she says: "Could anyone be happy if they aren’t free?"

One thing we’ve seen that I think is interesting and relevant is directors tend to be very visual, and I’m talking from both a gender and sort of inclusion and diversity perspective. If you send a script to a director, they’re going to read the script and envision things in their mind. And once a director has painted a picture in his or her head, it’s more difficult to sort of disavow them of that vision. We’ve started trying in our screenplays to more specifically call out gender, ethnicity, so that they can have a different opinion, but they aren’t starting from whatever their baseline bias and assumption may be.

The other thing we often find is — let’s talk in these fairy-tale movies as example — the filmmaker says, “I’m being true to the period of the film. I’m being true to the historical period.” To which we say, “Well, what on earth are you talking about? Because we have spells and magic mirrors and candelabras that used to be people. So there is no period. We can make the history as we would like it to be.”
Source: http://freakonomics.com/podcast/princess/
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

The backstory of moving to a small town because the plague hit Paris really doesn't make sense because they could have gone to any other big city in the area, even outside of France. At least the original fairy tale made sense because the family had lost all their wealth. And maybe Belle just doesn't leave, because she doesn't want to leave her father.

I'm not sure why he is speaking about the wolf scene like it was something they came up with just for the remake. The animated film is where Belle refuses to engage with the Beast, runs away when she feels threatened, but ultimately chooses to rescue him from the snow and return to the castle after he saves her. The remake just copied those scenes so it was hardly its own invention.

Interesting though how defensive he is about the colorblind casting of some of the characters and villagers. I don't remember that getting a lot of flack back in 2017 and earlier but maybe they felt the need to validate their choices publicly because of all the hysteria around the new Ariel's casting.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Saying things not existing in history is reason to conclude that their is no history and they don't have to be true to the period or historically accurate is bull. The freaking people in any work of fiction are not real, either, and even in historical dramas, dialogue and how the situations exactly happened are not always real either, does that mean you just disregard history for that? You can choose to do full fantasy if you want, but saying you don't need certain levels of historical truth for fairy tales is just wrong.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Interesting that they wanted to expound on why Belle doesn’t just leave the village if she hates it so much. Most modern Cinderella adaptations try to answer the same question with Cinderella. Rapunzel and Ariel do run away in their films (or at least temporarily in Rapunzel's case), for example.

I think that what he said about diversity / inclusion is true, that directors get wrapped up with their vision and can't see any other way.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Josh Gad on His ‘Beauty and the Beast’ LeFou Moment: “It Was My Pitch”
https://collider.com/beauty-and-the-bea ... ntroversy/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow, so LeFou's actor came up with it himself! Talk about building a character!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Another official artwork of animated Belle based on a pose from the live-action one.

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/B7oyCSNBHvl/
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Re: Beauty & the Beast Live-Action Prequel Series

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I wlll FINALLY buy the Live-Action Beauty & the Beast on Blu-Ray Today :D :D :D :D
Disney's Divinity

Good for you, DisneyFan97! :) I haven't watched this in a while. I might re-visit it myself.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Re: Beauty and the Beast Discussion

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Luck Evans was really good as Gaston and Josh Gad was a dlight.

Fun Fact: In the Swedish of this Le Fou hade a defrinet voice for singing than for speaking!
Disney's Divinity

DisneyFan97 wrote:Luck Evans was really good as Gaston and Josh Gad was a dlight.

Fun Fact: In the Swedish of this Le Fou hade a defrinet voice for singing than for speaking!
Are you referring to the Swedish version of the live-action re-make? That's interesting if it's the case. It's too bad they aren't willing to dub actors who can't sing very well instead of merely relying on autotune to fix everything in regards to the re-makes. That way they could have the best of both worlds--a strong soundtrack and a star cast.