Beauty and the Beast (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Beauty and the Beast Live-Action Discussion

Post by Disney Duster »

It reminded me of the 1946 film, too. I guess the enchantress isn't omniscient, so that's why she didn't know Gaston was going to die before she could test him like she does the Beast. Or she saw their was no chance for Gaston at all and so never bothered with him.

Hey I have a question. When the Beast picks Belle up and spins her around (you know, what's supposed to be the replacment for the amazing lift animation in the original with the incredible CGI camera shot), what is happening behind them? Is that just the lights going out? What makes everything so sparkly?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Beauty and the Beast was nominated for two BAFTAs; for Best Production Design and Best Costume Design. I'm disappointed Menken wasn't nominated for Best Film Music. He was only nominated twice (for Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin) and never won.

The BAFTAs and Disney's remakes/reimaginings of their animated films/characters:

Beauty and the Beast was nominated for Best Production Design and Best Costume Design.
The Jungle Book was nominated for Best Special Visual Effects (won).
Cinderella was nominated for Best Costume Design.
Into the Woods was nominated for Best Costume Design and Best Makeup and Hair.
Saving Mr. Banks was nominated for Best British Film, Best Costume Design, and Outstanding Debut by a British Writer, Director or Producer.
Alice in Wonderland was nominated for Best Film Music, Best Special Visual Effects, Best Production Design, Best Costume Design (won), and Best Makeup and Hair (won).
101 Dalmatians was nominated for Best Makeup and Hair.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks for all that cool info. I feel like Bladerunner's got Production Design in the bag but then again I haven't seen the others besides that and Beauty and the Beast. I would love if Beauty and the Beast won that one, though, as I loved that one's production design the most. But I also think Bladerunner's was so good it's so worthy.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I'm predicting Shape of Water for production design, but Blade Runner is definitely a good shot, too.

I think costume design will probably be between Beast and Phantom Thread. Beast is flashy and has the sort of historical costumes that do well in this category, while Phantom Thread is literally about a fashion designer.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Beauty and the Beast was nominated for four Critics Choice Awards but lost in every category. :(
Best Production Design

The Shape of Water (winner)
Murder on the Orient Express
Dunkirk
Blade Runner 2049
Beauty and the Beast
Phantom Thread

Best Costume Design

Blade Runner 2049
Phantom Thread (winner)
Beauty and the Beast
Wonder Woman
The Shape of Water

Best Hair and Makeup

Beauty and the Beast
Darkest Hour (winner)
I, Tonya
The Shape of Water
Wonder

Best Song

“Evermore” from Beauty and the Beast
“Mystery of Love” from Call Me by Your Name
“Remember Me” from Coco (winner)
“Stand Up for Something” from Marshall
“This Is Me” from The Greatest Showman
Source: http://ew.com/awards/2018/01/11/critics ... full-list/
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Coco... Bleh.

re:BAFTAs: Alice in Wonderland was nominated for so many things at all the awards events in comparison to the rest of the LA re-makes/misc. films.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Sotiris wrote:Best Song

“Evermore” from Beauty and the Beast
“Mystery of Love” from Call Me by Your Name
“Remember Me” from Coco (winner)
“Stand Up for Something” from Marshall
“This Is Me” from The Greatest Showman
I'd easily rank "Mystery of Love," "Evermore," and "This Is Me" above "Remember Me."
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Personally, if I was a voter, I would have probably only voted for Beauty and the Beast in Costume Design. Not that the other elements aren't worthy, but I think there were better options in those categories. The Shape of Water's production design is excellent, "Remember Me" is a beautiful song that ties so well thematically to the film and Darkest Hour did succeed in transforming Gary Oldman into Winston Churchill (although I would have voted for The Shape of Water in the best makeup category). And Phantom Thread certainly isn't an undeserving winner as the costumes are excellently designed and also key to the central character. It is about a fashion designer, after all.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

TheSequelOfDisney wrote:I'd easily rank "Mystery of Love," "Evermore," and "This Is Me" above "Remember Me."
I couldn't agree more. "Remember Me" is not even the best song from its own movie ("Proud Corazón" is), let alone compared to those three. It's better than most Pixar songs, sure, but that's a pretty low bar. I get the feeling that "Remember Me" is getting noticed because of the film's critical success. The voters are influenced by that and feel compelled to give it an additional award like they did with Toy Story 3 and "We Belong Together". (Honestly, did anyone actually like that song? No one seems to even remember it now.)
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I agree about Proud Corazón.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Or it's because "Remember Me" is played multiple times in the movie and is thematically important to the film. For many people, it's also played at the emotional highpoint of the film. When the film was released, I saw many Tweets from people about how that song made them cry. I think it's as simple as that.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Emma Watson Brought Up A Potential Beauty And The Beast Sequel Idea Again
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/183051 ... idea-again
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Oh good Lord no. That would be so unnecessary...
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I find it interesting that she keeps bringing it up. She must have realized that with Harry Potter over, this is the only other big break she's going to get as of now. Which I also find interesting because I think in the past she's talked about not wanting to do big franchises again after Harry Potter.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

What makes the background sparkle in spin shot in the film?

And I would say that's exactly it estefan about "Remember Me"
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

estefan wrote:Or it's because "Remember Me" is played multiple times in the movie and is thematically important to the film.
The strength of a song isn't determined by its repetition, and none of the songs nominated would be thematically unimportant to their respective film.
For many people, it's also played at the emotional highpoint of the film.
As are "Mystery of Love" and "Evermore." I haven't seen Marshall or The Greatest Showman, though, so I cannot comment on how effective those songs are within the context of those films. However, the placement of a song within a film does not necessarily determine its effectiveness, especially when one considers that there can be, and often is, more than one significant emotional point--that would be a lazy story structure.
When the film was released, I saw many Tweets from people about how that song made them cry.
I didn't know crying equaled greatness and determined strength.
I think it's as simple as that.
What a simple answer...
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

TheSequelOfDisney wrote:
estefan wrote:For many people, it's also played at the emotional highpoint of the film.
As are "Mystery of Love" and "Evermore." I haven't seen Marshall or The Greatest Showman, though, so I cannot comment on how effective those songs are within the context of those films.
I saw all five films in question, but honestly, after re-listening to "Stand Up for Something," I cannot remember where they used it in Marshall. Fairly certain it was an end credits song.

If I had to pick the song that is strong in and of itself, and then used most effectively in its film, I'd give it to "This Is Me." While not my favorite song from The Greatest Showman (that honor goes to "Rewrite the Stars"), it basically functions as the film's anthem. It moves the plot forward even when it's a show-stopping dance number, it carries an emotional resonance for the characters that help audience empathize with them, and its lyrics and melodic structure are that damn good. That's not to say the other four aren't any of those things (lord knows I'd spend many a drive to work singing "Evermore" in Spring 2017), but much like Highlander, there can be only one.

"Remember Me," for the most part, is a very good plot device. It has nice lyrics, and yes, it brings people to tears at the right moment. But are we crying because the song is that good, or because of how the characters are using the song? The use of "Remember Me" within the narrative ultimately becomes more important than the actual song itself, so I'm not afraid to say I would not vote for "Remember Me" as Best Song. After all, the category is called "Best Song" and not "Best Use of a Song." Otherwise we'd get people asking for nominations of "Unchained Melody" in Ghost even though that song written thirty-five years before Ghost.

Truthfully, I would have picked Sufjan Stevens' "Visions of Gideon" as the better song over "Mystery of Love." Talk about making people cry in the theatre...

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

It's already been eloquently stated above, but I agree that Remember Me, while a nice song, is better in the context of the film for the emotions it invokes. If someone who hadn't watched the film heard it, they would not be as emotionally affected.

This is Me, on the other hand, is a great song both in the film, and outside of it. Especially considering how political the Oscars are, I can't imagine it not winning and it deserves the award compared to the rest of the songs that are nominated. Although my personal song preference from The Greatest Showman is also Rewrite the Stars. I wasn't expecting much from Zac Efron and Zendaya but both give incredible vocal performances and they've really grown as actors and singers. No wonder people are clamoring for Disney Channel to pair them together in a future project.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

The Last Jedi has finally surpassed Beauty and the Beast as the top film of 2017 internationally too.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmende ... 6b843c1159
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh yes, it's true "Remember Me" isn't the actual best song, well, except perhaps that it's meaning is perhaps the best of the film, but I thought me and estefan were just saying why they were nominating and voting for it.