Beauty and the Beast (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Kram Nebuer
Anniversary Edition

Post by Kram Nebuer »

SpringHeelJack wrote:I repeat- there's several differences. There's many characters cut, plot points changed (act three of the film is almost entirely different from the end of the stage show). Amber's father is gone, Tracy doesn't hide with a beatnik, Velma doesn't attempt to use a bomb hidden in Amber's hair, no scenes at an amusement park, etc.
Quite right! I was so surprised at how different the original movie was to the musical and the movie musical. I saw the latest version of Hairspray (Movie musical) first and loved it and was quite surprised at how much was changed between the original and the musical despite the involvement of the original creators. I guess some of the ridiculously funny things and other aspects from the 1980's movie (e.g. Velma hiding a bomb in Amber's hair) probably wouldn't really fly well with a 2007 movie about the same story and time period. I don't know how seriously I could take the movie if Michelle Pfieffer's Velma were to pull the same stunt. Also, I read that some of the characters from the original movie didn't make it to the Broadway Musical (and thus the movie musical) because the actors who portrayed them had passed away (e.g. Amber's father, the two television station producers).

Sorry for such a tangent! Back on topic:

I feel that "A Change in Me" is a terrific and powerful song and necessary for those not very perceptive in the storyline of the change in Belle's character (i.e. me, haha). I'm really dumb when it comes to analyzing literature and understanding story elements (yay for science majors!), just ask Escapay when we watch movies with complicated storylines. I thought "A Change in Me" was a great wake-up call for the audience members who didn't really catch the fact that Belle had really gone through a change. Belle realizes she's not really having those "adventure[s] in the great wide somewhere." She's realizing that the person she's become is different than she wanted to be and that's ok.

Though I can understand how it may seem to "stop" the show. It doesn't totally have to do with the meaning of the song, but for those who aren't really into or accustomed to the full out musical, having a long ballad by one character can get tiring that late in the show. Wicked was the first Broadway Musical I ever saw and I got really really bored with the Wizard's song in the 2nd act.

If I needed to choose, I'd keep "A Change in Me" over "Home" as I feel it accomplishes more to have Belle's big number in the 2nd act. Don't get me wrong, I love "Home" too and it establishes the emotions Belle is going through when she first stays at the castle, but I like the effect "A Change in Me" has over that of "Home."

And "If I Can't Love Her" is ABSOLUTELY necessary to really show the torture and torment that the Beast is enduring and put's a whole new level and appreciation for the character. It's a very powerful and moving ballad and I was very disappointed that the actor who played the Beast when I saw the show didn't do well in conveying it.
<a href=http://kramnebuer.dvdaf.com/>My ºoº DVDs </a>
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Kram Nebuer wrote:Also, I read that some of the characters from the original movie didn't make it to the Broadway Musical (and thus the movie musical) because the actors who portrayed them had passed away (e.g. Amber's father, the two television station producers).
Actually, the reason Marc Shaiman gave for cutting Amber's father was that he didn't serve enough purpose as a character. Aspects of him were grafted onto Velma, like making her the owner of the television station. Not to mention it's just good economic sense to not have to hire another actor when another character can fulfill the same purpose.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Disney's Beauty & the Beast Live-action Remake

Post by Sotiris »

Alan Menken was in Milan for the premiere of the musical Beauty and the Beast and various Italian media did a series of questions about his future at Disney.
Alan Menken wrote:Now I am preparing the soundtracks of two Disney animated features: Rapunzel and The Snow Queen, and in addition a live-action musical film about Beauty and the Beast, plus a new musical that will debut in Fall 2010: Leap of Faith.
Source: http://www.lastampa.it/redazione/cmsSez ... girata.asp

Now we have more news confirming this.
According to Sir Tim Rice's listing in the "Who's Who in the Cast" in the cast section of this program: "Tim Rice is currently working with Alan Menken on songs for a new film version of 'Beauty and the Beast'..."
Source: http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief ... eview.aspx
Last edited by Sotiris on Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

I don't know about this... It could be interesting, but then again, it could turn out to be a complete flop. All in all, I'm not really liking this idea.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Well, it depends how it all plays out in the end.

Ironically, I do recall Michael "Scrooge" Eisner talking about a live action Beauty and the Beast in the credits of the making-of documentary of the animated movie on the 2002 Platinum Edition DVD.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I'm excited for this, but I just fear how they're going to make the enchanted objects not look awkward on screen...
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Live-action movie, yes. Musical, no.

Seriously, what would be the point of making yet another musical version of "Beauty and the Beast"? After the original movie (and the Broadway musical), it would just feel redundant. I'd rather see them work their magic on the story and character relations without the use of songs - something like "Ever After", but not so toned down in the fantasy department.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I dont think this is a good idea. Couldnt they just do a fabulous version of the musical, film it, and release it to DVD ? That would be something I would love to see.

And is it just me, or are Disney really pimping out BATB ?! We have had, to date :

1. Original film

2. Two sequels

3. Sing Me a Story with Belle

4. Planned section of Enchanted Tales

5. Broadway / West End production

6. Platinum Edition DVD, with 3 verisons of the film

7. Constant place in theme parks world over

8. First Disney Animated Classic to be converted to 3D, for 20th Anniversary

9. Diamond Edition Blu Ray, 2 Disc DVD

10. Live action film ?!

Is it Disney's favourite animated movie !?
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:And is it just me, or are Disney really pimping out BATB ?

Is it Disney's favourite animated movie !?
it's their biggest cash cow. :)
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

I don't really support this, there's already a perfectly good live-action version out there and there has been for 64 years. Directed by Jean Cocteau.
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

I love the idea of a live action version. New songs by Alan Menken? Bring it on I say!
Margos
Anniversary Edition

Post by Margos »

They could use a lot of CG for the enchanted objects. I think it would look neat if they used the same CG/Motion-Capture/Live-Action ratio that Alice in Wonderland did.
http://dragonsbane.webs.com
http://childrenofnight.webs.com

^My websites promoting my two WIP novels! Check them out for exclusive content!
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

PatrickvD wrote:it's their biggest cash cow. :)
Do you think so ? Is it really that beloved ?
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:
Well...Disney's BATB did get an SNL sketch in March of 2009....that's saying something....when's the last time a DAC got a SNL sketch after it in the past 2 years...??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihAz-aaG7Ts
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Margos
Anniversary Edition

Post by Margos »

Aladdin did. And even though it's not a DAC, so did Mary Poppins.
http://dragonsbane.webs.com
http://childrenofnight.webs.com

^My websites promoting my two WIP novels! Check them out for exclusive content!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Margos wrote:They could use a lot of CG for the enchanted objects. I think it would look neat if they used the same CG/Motion-Capture/Live-Action ratio that Alice in Wonderland did.
I've thought of that, but I think that would defeat the whole purpose of this film though. I hope they stay away from pure CGI. I would prefer live-action humans (although, they you're right they could possibly get away with it done Alice style) for the enchanted objects and in the case of the Beast, top notch make-up!
atlanticaunderthesea wrote:
I don't think so. It just happens to *BE* one of the cashcows on the Great Disney Ranch. Here, let's compare and contrast things to your list-

1. Original film- Well, all DACs have to start somewhere...

2. Two sequels- Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, Cinderella, The Lion King...

3. Sing Me a Story with Belle- This failed, but before "SMASWB" there was a similar TLM project planned.

4. Planned section of Enchanted Tales- Aladdin and Sleeping Beauty actually got this, SB had 2 different ones planned, actually! Cinderella and Mulan had a section planned, as well, which would have come out before BATB.

5. Broadway / West End production- Obviously, TLK (success), The Hunchback of Notre Dame (neither B'way or West End, but success in Germany), Tarzan (failure in US, success in Netherlands), Mary Poppins (success), and The Little Mermaid (failure, but hopefully the tour will tighten things up!)

6. Platinum Edition DVD, with 3 verisons of the film- I don't have to list all the Platinums, but in the case of the 3 versions- only the CAPs films can have things reinserted and as of now that's only BATB, TLK, and Pocahontas. The Work-in-Progress version is unique to BATB, because it was screened at a NY convention I believe, and previously had been released on a laserdisc.

7. Constant place in theme parks world over- TLM, I think has an even bigger place at the theme parks, but as well you have Cinderella, Mickey Mouse and co., and other big family favorites.

8. First Disney Animated Classic to be converted to 3D, for 20th Anniversary- Good timing! And before Aladdin proved it unprofitable all Platinums were to be reissued to IMAX theatres.

9. Diamond Edition Blu Ray, 2 Disc DVD- Once again, I don't have to provide the list of DACs on the Diamond line.

10. Live action film ?!- This goes back to the successful B'way play (although, TLK is arguably more successful, but I don't ever see them turning that into a film).
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Post by slave2moonlight »

What I would like to see, is a film version of the Broadway show. That's all. If that's not what they're doing, I'd rather they didn't bother. I will say though, that I think it's the best of Disney's animated features.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

yamiiguy wrote:I don't really support this, there's already a perfectly good live-action version out there and there has been for 64 years. Directed by Jean Cocteau.
There's also perfectly good live-action versions of movies like Great Expectations, Wuthering Heights, Oliver Twist, Pride and Prejudice, etc. but that doesn't stop them from being made again every once in awhile. Besides, Disney is not making a remake of La Belle et la Bête, they're making a live-action version of *their* Beauty and the Beast. Multiple interpretations of the same idea can exist, you know. That's the beauty of storytelling, and in this case, filmmaking.
slave2moonlight wrote:What I would like to see, is a film version of the Broadway show. That's all. If that's not what they're doing, I'd rather they didn't bother.
I'm actually hoping for the opposite. I want an entirely new (well, new enough) approach to the original Leprince de Beaumont tale, but utilizing the familiar characters and songs from the Disney versions. That way it's not a word-for-word shot-for-shot remake of the 1991 movie or 1994-2007 musical. It's something that stands on its own, but has roots in some of the earlier versions of the story.

One thing I can do without, and it may not sit well with many, is the Enchanted Objects. I want the movie to focus much more on Belle and Beast (for god's sake, give him a name in the new movie!). Surely they can figure out how to fix the second act's "two people having dinner day after day" problem without having to resort to adding subplot filler like "Human Again." The problem with the 1991 movie is there's too many characters and not enough time to develop them all.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

If they do this, I hope they make it an entirely new film rather than the musical.
BelleGirl
Anniversary Edition

Post by BelleGirl »

I answered 'no' to the poll, but maybe a live-action version of B&B could work with a fresh new script. I wonder how Disney will make the enchanted household object look convinsing and not stupid. But as Avatar and Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland have recently demonstrated again, wonderful things can be achieved with the aid of CGI.
Either way, If it turns out to be just a carbon-copy of the animated feature, I'm not interested.

Some questions for my fellow UDers:

How did you like the live-action version of 101 Dalmatians? Did it add anything to the orginal 1961 animated version?

How do you feel about a live-action version of "The Lion king"? :lol:

Or a Disney animated version of "Great Expectations"? :wink:
Last edited by BelleGirl on Mon May 17, 2010 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

See my growing collection of Disney movie-banners at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78256383@N ... 651337290/