Beauty and the Beast (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Beauty and the Beast (Live-Action)

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Disney Duster wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:As I said, I always thought the magic decorations to her dress was rubbish and clearly a cheap attempt to recreate the Cinderella transformation moment. They likely felt it might try and make Belle's dress more appealing after all the flack it got online but it didn't work. There's nothing else in the live-action or animated film that suggests magic created her dresses. This isn't a case of Cinderella or Aurora or even Ariel who had magic dresses thanks to a wand or trident. Even Jasmine had magic clothes in the form of her red slave outfit with Jafar's staff.
But the wardrobe makes her the first new gown she wears there. She makes it for her. So she could have made her other dresses, too.
JeanGreyForever wrote:I don't consider the castle living though unlike its cursed inhabitants within its interior. Oh yes, I forgot about the double-headed eagle symbol so they must have existed in Europe although that makes me wonder why they are considered such an American symbol then.
I thought the gold decorations going on to her dress was part of the castle being alive?
JeanGreyForever wrote:Anne Hathaway I heard was also the original choice for Christine in The Phantom of the Opera movie alongside Hugh Jackman as the Phantom. Not sure why they weren't cast in the end.
Wow! I would have loved that! But I liked Gerard Butler as the Phantom.
The wardrobe made that gown out of the materials she had in her and that was the wardrobe, not the castle itself. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree no this.

That would imply the film had a sense of continuity or logic but the scene was just thrown in as a "crowd-pleasing" moment much like the enchanted book and the backstory of Belle's mother was intertwined even if it makes no sense why Belle doesn't use that book to reach her father at the end.

I liked the cast we ended up with but I would have liked the original choices as well.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

JeanGreyForever wrote:The wardrobe made that gown out of the materials she had in her and that was the wardrobe, not the castle itself. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree no this.
Ok. I mean, I see what you mean, but I also have my theory.
JeanGreyForever wrote:That would imply the film had a sense of continuity or logic but the scene was just thrown in as a "crowd-pleasing" moment much like the enchanted book and the backstory of Belle's mother was intertwined even if it makes no sense why Belle doesn't use that book to reach her father at the end.
True.
JeanGreyForever wrote:I liked the cast we ended up with but I would have liked the original choices as well.
True!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Someone did a fan-edit of a publicity still. What do you think?

Original

Fan-Edit
Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/CAOHRQ-nHvR/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

It’s not perfect, but it’s an improvement. It’s amazing what a disappointment that dress was.

I was just reminded of this dress Sarah Silverman wore... https://m.eonline.com/photos/9891/worst ... mys/314729 . Apparently she gave the designer many suggestions (it’s inspired by Disney’s Cinderella) and Silverman was totally in love with it. The designer told her she could say it was her own design on the red carpet! :lol: Silverman tells the story now because she realizes it was actually really awful.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

UmbrellaFish wrote:It’s not perfect, but it’s an improvement.
I like what they did with her hairstyle and makeup more than anything else.
UmbrellaFish wrote:The designer told her she could say it was her own design on the red carpet! Silverman tells the story now because she realizes it was actually really awful.
:lol: No wonder. That dress is hideous.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I like her hair and sleeves in the fan-edit.

I actually like that Sarah Silverman dress. I liked it before even knowing it was inspired by Disney's Cinderella. Make fun of my taste all you want.
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

I still to this day am in disbelief of how bad this dress was. It’s arguably the most famous dress in cinema history. When she walks down the staircase, jaws should have dropped. The fact that Disney approved it, and allowed such a flimsy, prom dress-looking concoction with such tacky modern day, could’ve been bought at any department store jewelry... it’s mind boggling. Especially when the rest of the film had such a strict adherence to the time period.

Don’t even get me started on how awful the cinematography is during that scene. It may be some of the worst in cinema history in my books.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Disney Duster wrote:I like her hair and sleeves in the fan-edit.

I actually like that Sarah Silverman dress. I liked it before even knowing it was inspired by Disney's Cinderella. Make fun of my taste all you want.
Well, I might make fun of the dress but I wouldn’t make fun of your taste. Besides, very often I agree with your takes on dresses- not here though!
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

That's cute, Sotiris.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

UmbrellaFish wrote:It’s not perfect, but it’s an improvement. It’s amazing what a disappointment that dress was.

I was just reminded of this dress Sarah Silverman wore... https://m.eonline.com/photos/9891/worst ... mys/314729 . Apparently she gave the designer many suggestions (it’s inspired by Disney’s Cinderella) and Silverman was totally in love with it. The designer told her she could say it was her own design on the red carpet! :lol: Silverman tells the story now because she realizes it was actually really awful.
You're not alone Duster, I don't think this dress is really that bad either. It may not be something that I would look at once and feel the need to own but I would never put it on the worst dressed list either. Now that Lena Dunham outfit on the next page...yikes.
nomad2010 wrote:I still to this day am in disbelief of how bad this dress was. It’s arguably the most famous dress in cinema history. When she walks down the staircase, jaws should have dropped. The fact that Disney approved it, and allowed such a flimsy, prom dress-looking concoction with such tacky modern day, could’ve been bought at any department store jewelry... it’s mind boggling. Especially when the rest of the film had such a strict adherence to the time period.

Don’t even get me started on how awful the cinematography is during that scene. It may be some of the worst in cinema history in my books.
I'd probably give most famous dress in cinema history to Cinderella's ballgown (or maybe one of Scarlett O'Hara's outfits) but Belle's ballgown is certainly one of the most iconic. Disney wanted to keep Emma Watson happy so they gave her free range and creative control of the character, probably to ensure that Emma would feel comfortable with a more liberated version of Belle so that online, Belle couldn't be criticized as regressive or a victim of Stockholm Syndrome. The necklace was really awful and I just found out recently that she's wearing a ring as well which is so bland and generic.

And honestly, the quality of the cinematography becomes clear when you see the production shots of the scene and realize that Dan Stevens was in a full mo-cap suit so no wonder there was no magic in the performance. Who could possibly feel into their performance dancing alongside this in one of the most romantic scenes in cinema?
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Hey guys! I suffer from depression, but I wanted you to know, I actually like this movie and a lot of things about it, but I also enjoy talking about what I think was bad and could be changed, and I love talking about dresses. I just love talking to you guys and it's perfect for a depressed guy!
nomad2010 wrote:I still to this day am in disbelief of how bad this dress was. It’s arguably the most famous dress in cinema history. When she walks down the staircase, jaws should have dropped. The fact that Disney approved it, and allowed such a flimsy, prom dress-looking concoction with such tacky modern day, could’ve been bought at any department store jewelry... it’s mind boggling. Especially when the rest of the film had such a strict adherence to the time period.

I am unsure whether Belle's dress or Cinderella's (and JeanGreyForever brought up Scarlett O'Hara's) dress is the more famous one in history. I really don't know. Yes, I am biased towards Cinderella, and I also know that I think more people in the world actually think Belle's dress is the more impressive one, but Cinderella's is so famous for the whole movie kind of being about the dress, and it's the transformation scene that is once again about that Cinderella dress, not the dance in it, that is most famous from that movie. But I would not be surprised if we polled the world and Belle's dress won, lol. I just pick Cinderella's form as much as I know.

The cinematography in the film, or the direction, I really don't know which to blame, was really awful. There were like no good shots of anything!!! If you want to see how a live-action remake dance between to people falling in love should be done, watch the Cinderella live-action remake.
UmbrellaFish wrote:Well, I might make fun of the dress but I wouldn’t make fun of your taste. Besides, very often I agree with your takes on dresses- not here though!
Oh, it's ok. In fact, I thank you for saying that!
JeanGreyForever wrote:You're not alone Duster, I don't think this dress is really that bad either. It may not be something that I would look at once and feel the need to own but I would never put it on the worst dressed list either. Now that Lena Dunham outfit on the next page...yikes.
Thanks for saying that about Sarah Silverman's! I don't know how to see the Lena Dunham outfit. Link?
JeanGreyForever wrote:I'd probably give most famous dress in cinema history to Cinderella's ballgown (or maybe one of Scarlett O'Hara's outfits) but Belle's ballgown is certainly one of the most iconic. Disney wanted to keep Emma Watson happy so they gave her free range and creative control of the character, probably to ensure that Emma would feel comfortable with a more liberated version of Belle so that online, Belle couldn't be criticized as regressive or a victim of Stockholm Syndrome. The necklace was really awful and I just found out recently that she's wearing a ring as well which is so bland and generic.

And honestly, the quality of the cinematography becomes clear when you see the production shots of the scene and realize that Dan Stevens was in a full mo-cap suit so no wonder there was no magic in the performance. Who could possibly feel into their performance dancing alongside this in one of the most romantic scenes in cinema?
AGREED!!!! You know, I didn't realize it, but maybe that's why they gave Emma so much freedom. To keep her in their movie. By any chance, was it written into her contract she had a right to change things about her character, even down to what she wore?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

The cinematography was awful indeed. I would even say that the framing is awful as well. What comes to my mind is the West Wing scene after Belle flees, there's a baffling wide shot that doesn't let us have a clear view on his facial expression, like in the original where we could see that he has an expression of regret. This actually might be a good thing cause in the remake it seems like he cares more about the rose than the fact that he's messed up, which doesn't surprise me cause he views Belle as beneath him anyway - "a daughter of a theif" or insulting her literally taste. What does surprise me is that he went after her. All the changes to the remake Beast makes him a different character so to me it doesn't really make sense character-wise other than "it happened in the original". I don't even understand why he was upset at her at all cause he never told her not to go into the West Wing. Lumiere and Cogsworth did and only because they suddenly remembered it, it wasn't even planned.
This is what I mean when I say that they kept plot points the same but gave them an a different illogical context. It's like they made a check list, did it without actually putting effort into the set up that actually made these scenes work in the first place, and then added a bunch of unnecessary crap cause the film needs to be longer while the original used its 84 minutes so effectively.

This turned out to be longer than I anticipated.
Anyway, Disney Duster, I think you said something about the original Belle not having sleeves as well in another thread, but to me it's not about it being sleeveless that makes it seem awkward, it's the fact that her entire arms are completely bare. Original Belle had that thing, I guess I'm gonna call it "sleeves" covering part of her upper arms and she had the gloves, which make it more elegant.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:Hey guys! I suffer from depression, but I wanted you to know, I actually like this movie and a lot of things about it, but I also enjoy talking about what I think was bad and could be changed, and I love talking about dresses. I just love talking to you guys and it's perfect for a depressed guy!

I am unsure whether Belle's dress or Cinderella's (and JeanGreyForever brought up Scarlett O'Hara's) dress is the more famous one in history. I really don't know. Yes, I am biased towards Cinderella, and I also know that I think more people in the world actually think Belle's dress is the more impressive one, but Cinderella's is so famous for the whole movie kind of being about the dress, and it's the transformation scene that is once again about that Cinderella dress, not the dance in it, that is most famous from that movie. But I would not be surprised if we polled the world and Belle's dress won, lol. I just pick Cinderella's form as much as I know.

The cinematography in the film, or the direction, I really don't know which to blame, was really awful. There were like no good shots of anything!!! If you want to see how a live-action remake dance between to people falling in love should be done, watch the Cinderella live-action remake.
UmbrellaFish wrote:Well, I might make fun of the dress but I wouldn’t make fun of your taste. Besides, very often I agree with your takes on dresses- not here though!
Oh, it's ok. In fact, I thank you for saying that!
JeanGreyForever wrote:You're not alone Duster, I don't think this dress is really that bad either. It may not be something that I would look at once and feel the need to own but I would never put it on the worst dressed list either. Now that Lena Dunham outfit on the next page...yikes.
Thanks for saying that about Sarah Silverman's! I don't know how to see the Lena Dunham outfit. Link?
JeanGreyForever wrote:I'd probably give most famous dress in cinema history to Cinderella's ballgown (or maybe one of Scarlett O'Hara's outfits) but Belle's ballgown is certainly one of the most iconic. Disney wanted to keep Emma Watson happy so they gave her free range and creative control of the character, probably to ensure that Emma would feel comfortable with a more liberated version of Belle so that online, Belle couldn't be criticized as regressive or a victim of Stockholm Syndrome. The necklace was really awful and I just found out recently that she's wearing a ring as well which is so bland and generic.

AGREED!!!! You know, I didn't realize it, but maybe that's why they gave Emma so much freedom. To keep her in their movie. By any chance, was it written into her contract she had a right to change things about her character, even down to what she wore?
I hate to give the idea that I hate this film because there are a lot of things I really love about it (and we should totally discuss the things we love about this film too) and I was super hyped for this film when it came out. But after several years I can more clearly see the faults and frankly that puts this down as one of the more middling remakes. Not nearly as bad as Maleficent but definitely not the best like Cinderella and from what I've seen online, that's the general consensus.

And I like I said to Duster earlier, I live to hear shade thrown at the dress.

Cinderella's ballgown is much older for starters so you have 41 years of nostalgia and generations growing up with it. And like you said, the film and story is known for the dress. Belle's ballgown only became famous because of the Disney film. It's possible that Belle's dress is more popular than Cinderella's gown in terms of people preferring it but I'd say that in terms of being better known and more iconic, that would still be Cinderella's dress. Not to mention, Cinderella is the face of the Disney Princess franchise and at least she used to be the most popular princess by far. She's also the face of the Disney Parks with her castle and anyone in any country knows who Cinderella is.

The Cinderella live-action dance sequence is considered absolutely beloved in England. When Lily James got a role in the BBC adaptation of War and Peace shortly afterwards, everyone in England was hyped about it comparing it to the dance scene in Cinderella because of how iconic that became. I've never heard anything even remotely similar be used to describe the BATB dance sequence from the remake.

The Lena Dunham outfit was in the same link as the Sarah Silverman one. You just click the next button and her dress popped up. I clicked on it by accident so that's how I saw it.

I don't know how much Emma Watson was contractually given besides the fact that if the film made a certain amount of money, Emma Watson would get a huge bonus and the film did make way more than that so Emma surely did get that bonus. Disney clearly wanted to hire her for a while since she was a choice for Cinderella (I don't remember if she was the original choice or just a potential choice) and she thankfully turned that down.
farerb wrote:The cinematography was awful indeed. I would even say that the framing is awful as well. What comes to my mind is the West Wing scene after Belle flees, there's a baffling wide shot that doesn't let us have a clear view on his facial expression, like in the original where we could see that he has an expression of regret. This actually might be a good thing cause in the remake it seems like he cares more about the rose than the fact that he's messed up, which doesn't surprise me cause he views Belle as beneath him anyway - "a daughter of a theif" or insulting her literally taste. What does surprise me is that he went after her. All the changes to the remake Beast makes him a different character so to me it doesn't really make sense character-wise other than "it happened in the original". I don't even understand why he was upset at her at all cause he never told her not to go into the West Wing. Lumiere and Cogsworth did and only because they suddenly remembered it, it wasn't even planned.
This is what I mean when I say that they kept plot points the same but gave them an a different illogical context. It's like they made a check list, did it without actually putting effort into the set up that actually made these scenes work in the first place, and then added a bunch of unnecessary crap cause the film needs to be longer while the original used its 84 minutes so effectively.

This turned out to be longer than I anticipated.
Anyway, Disney Duster, I think you said something about the original Belle not having sleeves as well in another thread, but to me it's not about it being sleeveless that makes it seem awkward, it's the fact that her entire arms are completely bare. Original Belle had that thing, I guess I'm gonna call it "sleeves" covering part of her upper arms and she had the gloves, which make it more elegant.
The next time I rewatch this film (although I have no plans to do so anytime soon lol) I'll have to pay specific attention to the West Wing scene. I honestly don't even remember how it went in the remake which shows how much of an impact it left on me. I didn't remember that the Beast never tells Belle to go to the West Wing either which I agree doesn't gel well with that scene. And I wasn't a fan of the Beast's characterization either. He's very snobbish and constantly looks down on Belle and I'm assuming this was done to make him seem more like a gentleman like in the fairy tale but even that Beast, as scholarly and refined as he was, never looked down on Belle or taunted her for her class or station.

Belle's lack of sleeves wouldn't be an issue like you said had it not been for the absence of gloves. The bare arms seem really odd especially because this dress is already simple enough as it is so the whole concept is just so plain. It doesn't help that her jewelry is so minimal that it's barely noticeable.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow, farerb, you make VERY GOOD POINTS!!!! I didn't even realize that Beast didn't forbid Belle about the West Wing! This remake didn't set up or use the scenes well. Did you also catch how the argument of "Well you shouldn't have been in the West Wing!" "And you should learn to control your temper!" turns into "Why do you enchanted objects like him?" instead of a bonding moment and realization they are a match that was way better in the original? Anyway, it's true that the original Belle dress had a better covering for Belle's shoulders, and then the gloves for that dress were perfect, but...gloves would actually hurt, not hinder, this live-action remake dress. Gloves do not fit the dress at all.

JeanGreyForever, maybe you are right and that is why the Beast treats Belle snobbily and even worse than in the original film, because of his education and status from the original fairy tale.

Yes, when I first saw the film I was hyped. Then after a few watches it went down, down, down lol.

I had to search for the Lena Dunham dress. That was frightening.

You have great points about Cinderella's original ball gown. But because Disney made such an iconic dance scene and dress in their animated Beauty and the Beast, even if not everyone knows Beauty and the Beast, it doesn't matter if most of the world knows Beauty and the Beast no more than that dress, because then that dress really does have that more iconic status. I even wonder if the world knows Cinderella or the general story of Cinderella. I really wonder if they know Disney's Cinderella is what I mean.

I had no idea about England and that Cinderella dance! I love that!

LOL well yes, Emma certainly got that bonus! She was not the first asked to be Cinderella. I believe Sairose Ronan was one of the first considered, along with two other girls who I forget. Yes, I'm glad Emma didn't do it.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I posted this in the BATB Revival thread, but it's probably better suited to here !

---

From having a look on instagram, I was reading some posts about how there are actually several gowns for the live action movie :

* The dress seen on all promo / posters / toys / dolls - pleats only at the bottom edge of the dress

* The dress where she initially walks down the stairs to Beast, is a lot longer and the ruffles go all the way up

* The dancing dress is a lot shorter, presumably as it was easier to dance in ? Again with ruffles all the way up

There was never an explanation as to why the dress on ALL the merchandise etc was swapped out to the film. I'd love to know the reason !

Its under a user called axelmalibu on instagram if you wanted to look them up, they post brilliant findings.
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

Let's have a few laughs. Look at the length of the Skirt in some different scenes rotfl

https://i.ibb.co/jwBgGXM/1.jpg
The skirt touches the floor. The fabric looks more natural.

The skirt in the second pic doesn't tocuh the floor. It's weird because it should touch it and it should be larger in the back.

The skirt in the third photo ends in her ankles. The fabric looks very weird, like if it would not have been ironed.

Surprise! The Skirt now touchs the floor even when She is twirling.

This scene is a whole disaster. In some scenes the gown looks like if they used CGI. They used at least 3 different skirts. If the gown would have had a structure under the Skirt She wouldn't have had problems to dance. This is a dissaster. It looks unreal and cheap. I always find new horrible things when I watch the movie again.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:Wow, farerb, you make VERY GOOD POINTS!!!! I didn't even realize that Beast didn't forbid Belle about the West Wing! This remake didn't set up or use the scenes well. Did you also catch how the argument of "Well you shouldn't have been in the West Wing!" "And you should learn to control your temper!" turns into "Why do you enchanted objects like him?" instead of a bonding moment and realization they are a match that was way better in the original? Anyway, it's true that the original Belle dress had a better covering for Belle's shoulders, and then the gloves for that dress were perfect, but...gloves would actually hurt, not hinder, this live-action remake dress. Gloves do not fit the dress at all.

JeanGreyForever, maybe you are right and that is why the Beast treats Belle snobbily and even worse than in the original film, because of his education and status from the original fairy tale.

Yes, when I first saw the film I was hyped. Then after a few watches it went down, down, down lol.

I had to search for the Lena Dunham dress. That was frightening.

You have great points about Cinderella's original ball gown. But because Disney made such an iconic dance scene and dress in their animated Beauty and the Beast, even if not everyone knows Beauty and the Beast, it doesn't matter if most of the world knows Beauty and the Beast no more than that dress, because then that dress really does have that more iconic status. I even wonder if the world knows Cinderella or the general story of Cinderella. I really wonder if they know Disney's Cinderella is what I mean.

I had no idea about England and that Cinderella dance! I love that!

LOL well yes, Emma certainly got that bonus! She was not the first asked to be Cinderella. I believe Sairose Ronan was one of the first considered, along with two other girls who I forget. Yes, I'm glad Emma didn't do it.
Nothing suits this dress at all lol, gloves or otherwise.

I think they took the Beast's background from the fairy tale and tried to mold it with the antagonistic behavior from the animated film's Beast but it was a weird meld because suddenly the Beast comes across as classist and snobby when he was anything but in any other BATB version. I still hate his stereotypical remark towards gender preferences when he said Belle would like Romeo and Juliet because it's a romance and he prefers "action" like King Arthur. So stupid. That line alone makes me want to cancel the film.

Lol, that's similar to what happened with you on Frozen 2 right? Although with Frozen 2 you weren't a big fan of it from the beginning and rewatches just made it worse, correct?

Were you not able to find the Lena Dunham dress in that same link as the Sarah Silverman one? Did you have to google search it?

Well with Disney's marketing I'm guessing they see Disney's Cinderella everywhere and she's one of the faces of Disney, even moreso than Belle, which is why even if you don't watch the films (a lot of children who buy the Disney Princess products don't even see the films and just go by which princess looks most appealing to them), you've certainly seen Cinderella somewhere.

Yes, I thought you would appreciate that. ;)

I wouldn't have minded Saoirse Ronan as Cinderella because I love her but I'm glad it was Lily James at the end.
ImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Thumper_93 wrote:Let's have a few laughs. Look at the length of the Skirt in some different scenes rotfl

https://i.ibb.co/jwBgGXM/1.jpg
The skirt touches the floor. The fabric looks more natural.

The skirt in the second pic doesn't tocuh the floor. It's weird because it should touch it and it should be larger in the back.

The skirt in the third photo ends in her ankles. The fabric looks very weird, like if it would not have been ironed.

Surprise! The Skirt now touchs the floor even when She is twirling.

This scene is a whole disaster. In some scenes the gown looks like if they used CGI. They used at least 3 different skirts. If the gown would have had a structure under the Skirt She wouldn't have had problems to dance. This is a dissaster. It looks unreal and cheap. I always find new horrible things when I watch the movie again.
Wow, that's all really damning. I did notice that her skirt didn't touch the ground a few times but I just used that as ammo for why the dress is so terrible. Didn't realize it was an inconsistency. This is why I don't rewatch this movie lol.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Atlantica wrote:From having a look on instagram, I was reading some posts about how there are actually several gowns for the live action movie :

* The dress seen on all promo / posters / toys / dolls - pleats only at the bottom edge of the dress

* The dress where she initially walks down the stairs to Beast, is a lot longer and the ruffles go all the way up

* The dancing dress is a lot shorter, presumably as it was easier to dance in ? Again with ruffles all the way up

There was never an explanation as to why the dress on ALL the merchandise etc was swapped out to the film. I'd love to know the reason !
It seems to me that they were still deciding what the dress should look like, and they thought they knew what they wanted when all the merchandise was made, but then they changed it again for the final filming of scenes.
JeanGreyForever wrote:Nothing suits this dress at all lol, gloves or otherwise.

I think they took the Beast's background from the fairy tale and tried to mold it with the antagonistic behavior from the animated film's Beast but it was a weird meld because suddenly the Beast comes across as classist and snobby when he was anything but in any other BATB version. I still hate his stereotypical remark towards gender preferences when he said Belle would like Romeo and Juliet because it's a romance and he prefers "action" like King Arthur. So stupid. That line alone makes me want to cancel the film.

Lol, that's similar to what happened with you on Frozen 2 right? Although with Frozen 2 you weren't a big fan of it from the beginning and rewatches just made it worse, correct?

Were you not able to find the Lena Dunham dress in that same link as the Sarah Silverman one? Did you have to google search it?

Well with Disney's marketing I'm guessing they see Disney's Cinderella everywhere and she's one of the faces of Disney, even moreso than Belle, which is why even if you don't watch the films (a lot of children who buy the Disney Princess products don't even see the films and just go by which princess looks most appealing to them), you've certainly seen Cinderella somewhere.

Yes, I thought you would appreciate that. ;)

I wouldn't have minded Saoirse Ronan as Cinderella because I love her but I'm glad it was Lily James at the end.
Lol about nothing suited that dress.

Hm...maybe. But what was different about his backgorund in the original fairy tale? A prince is a prince!

I thought the Beast was saying he didn't like romance, not that it was girly, and that he just thought Belle was into a "too sweet" thing and not a "girly" thing, but I do not know.

For Frozen II I was not hyped, but I did like the film very much when I first watched it. It was only after thinking about it, and then one repeat viewing, I thought it was awful.

Yeah, I had to Google the Lena dress.

Yes, I think you are right about Cinderella being a face of Disney.

Yes, I would have loved Sairose, and actually I'm not sure who I'd rather have since Sairose gets so much praise and awards attention. I think Lily James was the better fit, but people say she doesn't have "gravitas" which I must agree with.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

He was a prince but he had a long and complicated backstory with his mother and fairy drama that intertwined with Belle's family. And as the Beast, he could still read and was a perfect gentleman. His only fault was his appearance which he hadn't used as an excuse to get bitter and ferocious.

It came across as a masculine/feminine thing since Belle reminds the Beast that King Arthur has romance too, the implication being that the Beast avoids admitting to liking Romeo and Juliet because it's a romance and not tough enough.

I suppose your Frozen II experience is what I had with this film.

I'm not sure Cinderella is the type of gravitas role in general.
ImageImage