Beauty and the Beast (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Beauty and the Beast (Live-Action)

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Thumper_93 wrote:
I've heard from sources online that Disney is very embarrassed about the dress and how they basically gave Emma Watson completely freedom to overhaul it.
It's normal...The dress looks like a cheap prom dress. In "The art of Disney costuming" book you can see some details of the dress and It's a shame. I also have a magazine that was released with the film and the Shoes have more details than de dress.

It says that the dress has 2160 crystals, 12.238 hours of filming, 55 meters of organza fabric and that 1000 meters of thread was used. The bodice is designed with a shape that remembers an eagle feathers and it reprensets Belle's free spirit. The shoes also wears feathers and tbe necklace represents "the tree of life".

In my opinion an eagle doesn't have anything to see with Belle. But if they believe so it's ok.

I think that they should not have chosen Emma for the role. She doesn't have Belle's spirit. In the movie She doesn't look comfortable in the role and She doesn't have chemistry with Dan. She was the worst choice in the film.
In that promo pic they used in that magazine scan, it even looks like an advertisement for a generic prom dress.

There's nothing at all about Belle's dress that would make me think it has 2160 crystals. I don't remember how many crystals Cinderella's dress had but it was very apparent in that one. I don't get the eagle feathers except for trying to represent Belle wanting to fly away and escape from her prison but the symbol doesn't work because of how anachronistic it is. The bald eagle is an American symbol, most certainly not a French one let alone a European one. I don't think they even exist in Europe if I'm correct. I have no idea where this "tree of life" stuff comes from. Sounds like they realized how bare and simple her ensemble was so they just snatched up the first necklace they saw. Belle was never very inclined with nature like the classical princesses so this symbol works even less and this is hardly the Animal Kingdom.

I have to agree about Emma even though I'm a huge Harry Potter fan. I love her as a human being and for her philanthropy work but I don't think she's an amazing actress and she has a tendency to play every character the same, hence why live-action Belle is often referred to as Hermione 2.0. When the song Belle was first released before the movie in this thread, I remember I watched it and felt almost uncomfortable from Emma's performance. In the beginning there's a part where she's walking with this smirk almost like she feels she is too good for this. I remember I didn't comment on it because I wanted to remain positive and hoped that her performance would carry through for the rest of the film but sadly it didn't.

Dan Stevens was better than Emma but I didn't really like him much either. In part because we never get much of him since he's all CGI and I didn't like his take on the Beast with him being more learned but also stereo typically against romance.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

JeanGreyForever wrote:I don't know where you got this idea that the castle is magically enchanted to give Belle dresses. That's certainly not the case in the animated film and even in the live-action film, the Wardrobe offers whatever dresses she has inside of her. There's no talk about conjuring up a dress. The ridiculous scene where the gold flakes became a part of the dress was just an attempt to replicate the Cinderella transformation sequence and it failed...miserably. No one remembered or cared about it. I'm assuming that scene is why you think the castle could create dresses for Belle though. If something else made you think that way, I'd love to know what. And in the animated film, Belle had no issue wearing more "festive" dresses like her golden ballgown or the utterly opulent fur-trimmed winter cloak.

I've also read the Marvel comics for the animated film that came out in the 90s and the Wardrobe provides a pink ballgown for Belle and there was nothing about her sticking her nose up at being dressed like a lady or a princess, let alone the castle magically providing clothes.
I got the idea that the castle gave her clothes from the wardrobe making her the princess dress and later the gold decorations "transformation" scene. My friend's boyfriend actually loved that scene, and he loved the Cinderella transformation, too. But I agree, it was not nearly as good as the Cinderella equivalent.

I also said that Belle in the live-action version is different from the animated Belle. This one prefers to wear humble clothes until occasionas demand a fancier dress. I didn't have a problem with that aspect but I'm guessing both you, JeanGreyForever and Thumper_93 do, which would be fine, too.
JeanGreyForever wrote:She did complain about the corset and how one of her conditions for doing this film is that she wouldn't wear one. I wonder if she wore one in Little Women. All the concept art for her ballgown had sleeves and was a lot more frilly with more layers and we all know that Emma Watson was instrumental in creating the dress design so the safe assumption is that she got rid of all those more historically accurate elements. I think she was a bit defensive about the boots she wore as part of her village dress ensemble as well although that may have been one of the costume designers.
It would be very interesting to know what she had to or wanted to wear for Little Women. I thought she was the one who chose the boots fro Belle but it could have been something the costume designer came up with when Emma told her what she wanted her character to be like.
Thumper_93 wrote:It says that the dress has 2160 crystals, 12.238 hours of filming, 55 meters of organza fabric and that 1000 meters of thread was used. The bodice is designed with a shape that remembers an eagle feathers and it reprensets Belle's free spirit. The shoes also wears feathers and tbe necklace represents "the tree of life".

In my opinion an eagle doesn't have anything to see with Belle. But if they believe so it's ok.

I think that they should not have chosen Emma for the role. She doesn't have Belle's spirit. In the movie She doesn't look comfortable in the role and She doesn't have chemistry with Dan. She was the worst choice in the film.
I have read many different sayings of how many crystals were in Cinderella's gown, but the first source I Googled today said more than 10,000 which would make sense since you really see them like JeanGreyForever said. The tree of life thing was meant to represent that the castle was alive, which I still think is a very stupid way to try and say that the castle is alive. Why not just a rose since roses have to do with Belle, beauty, and the story as well as they are alive? The eagle thing is stupid to me, too, like JeanGreyForever also seems to think. Just make her a free spirit with the freedom to breathe and move like she already has in the dress.

I thought Emma Watson would have been a good choice as Belle had she just been better at acting. I didn't like Dan Steven's Beast. He didn't touch me, he came off as just a jerk. And a stupid one at that, who thinks flower pickers need to be imprisoned and a girl who came to the castle couldn't end up as the one to break the spell if he tried to be nice. But the main reason he didn't touch me was probably the CGI.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Well the castle isn't really a sentient being to give her clothes from the wardrobe. If anyone is giving Belle clothes from the wardrobe it's Wardrobe herself.

It's yet another inconsistency between animated Belle and how Emma Watson portrayed her. There's a reason Emma is being lambasted even now on social media for her performance, whether it was her singing, her acting, or her choice in clothes.

I remember reading about the boots and how they were more practical than the ballet flats she wore in the animated film and I'm pretty sure it was Emma talking about them but I can't remember for sure. I'm not sure if that was a decision she made when it came to formulating the character.

Oh lol, the tree of life was meant to represent the castle? I don't get that at all especially since the castle is hardly a natural creation of existence. The tree of life thing would have worked in the 2014 live-action French film since that actually was nature oriented. I'm sure there must have been a French symbol or bird or animal that could represent freedom, something that wasn't an eagle. Next we'll be told that Belle always wanted to go to America and see an eagle on her travel atlas so that's why she wore one.

I've never seen much of a resemblance between Belle and Anne Hathaway anyway but because of Harry Potter, I was fine with her being cast especially since for years I'd heard people online wanting her to get the part. But my first choice was always Anne Hathaway or Emmy Rossum. The CGI for Beast really didn't serve him well and when I look at the BTS pics of the ballroom scene, it looks ridiculous for Dan Stevens to be in that mocap suit and look like some entity from Tron dancing with Emma Watson in her gown. Totally takes the magic away so no wonder Emma couldn't act very well dancing with whatever that was.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Well the castle isn't really a sentient being to give her clothes from the wardrobe. If anyone is giving Belle clothes from the wardrobe it's Wardrobe herself.
But the magic of the enchantress that made her a wardrobe could have given her clothes. The magic also added her dress decorations. I actually think it would be better if Belle got actual princess dresses that already existed, but I'm saying there's the possibility magic gave her her clothes and I also like that.
JeanGreyForever wrote:I remember reading about the boots and how they were more practical than the ballet flats she wore in the animated film and I'm pretty sure it was Emma talking about them but I can't remember for sure. I'm not sure if that was a decision she made when it came to formulating the character.
Yes, I remember Emma saying she wanted the boots, I'm just not sure if she was the one who came up with the idea or not.
JeanGreyForever wrote:Oh lol, the tree of life was meant to represent the castle? I don't get that at all especially since the castle is hardly a natural creation of existence. The tree of life thing would have worked in the 2014 live-action French film since that actually was nature oriented. I'm sure there must have been a French symbol or bird or animal that could represent freedom, something that wasn't an eagle. Next we'll be told that Belle always wanted to go to America and see an eagle on her travel atlas so that's why she wore one.
The tree was meant to represent that the castle was living, even if it wasn't made of nature, because trees are alive. I think the metaphor still sucked, I'm just explaining their thinking. We know eagles existed in Germany because of the double-headed eagles that represented royalty that the one girl who was an expert on that kind of thing said (side note on that, people use the double-headed eagle for many fairy tale adaptations so I don't think for instance King Stephan's kingdom really was German), but I don't know about eagles in France. LOL about your joke though.
JeanGreyForever wrote:I've never seen much of a resemblance between Belle and Anne Hathaway anyway but because of Harry Potter, I was fine with her being cast especially since for years I'd heard people online wanting her to get the part. But my first choice was always Anne Hathaway or Emmy Rossum. The CGI for Beast really didn't serve him well and when I look at the BTS pics of the ballroom scene, it looks ridiculous for Dan Stevens to be in that mocap suit and look like some entity from Tron dancing with Emma Watson in her gown. Totally takes the magic away so no wonder Emma couldn't act very well dancing with whatever that was.
Anne Hathaway would have been an incredible Belle! OMG I wish, I wish! But maybe she was too good/expensive for it?! LOL
DisneyBluLife
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyBluLife »

When 2017 Beauty and the beast came out all the teenage girl magazines did articles about Emma Watson as Belle.

I think Emma Watson brings that teenage girl audience that Disney wants.
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

I always have wanted Anne to being Belle. She's a good actress and She really looks like her.

About the teenage audience....That's ok for the release. But the people that are going to buy the merchandise and see the movie are the families and the people that grew up with the animated classic. The families used to stay happy with the live action but the actual fans are not so happy as they could be. In my opinion Disney should listen fan's wishes and try to make the LA as best as they can
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Thumper_93 wrote:I always have wanted Anne to being Belle. She's a good actress and She really looks like her.
Yeah, Natalie Portman and Anne Hathaway were other ideas I would’ve loved for Belle, but they were too old for the part at the time. Personally, Emma Watson was my first choice though similar to Jolie for Maleficent and I was happy when they cast her. (I remember being happy they cast Naomi Scott for Jasmine, too, since I’d seen her in the Power Rangers film and she was really good in that.) For a brief moment there, it looked like they were leaning towards Kristen Stewart for Belle, but I believe the controversy over her kissing the married director or whatever might’ve kept that from happening, thank God.

Since both Watson and Stewart come from hit franchises aimed at preteens / teens, DisneyBluLife’s probably right that it’s the audience they were aiming for with the choice. I wouldn’t have minded if they aged the characters up to allow someone like Portman or Hathaway though. I never would’ve predicted Emma Watson being as controversial and polarizing as she did, but I’m still glad she was cast even now. UD would’ve hated the re-make regardless, so at least I enjoyed it this way. :P Anyway, I think because Emma Watson is a feminist in her personal life, people assume any changes to Belle must’ve been on her part, but considering Disney has done the same thing with Jasmine (who definitely needed those improvements, imo) and likely with Ariel as well (for good reasons), those things would’ve happened no matter who was playing Belle. I guess if you hate the dress though, you can blame that on her to some degree, although Disney were the ones who allowed her to have a big part in it at the end of the day. *shrug* :lol:

I think my least favorite part of the re-make is still Beast’s CGI… They could’ve made the face look better than that. I never knew those details about the feathers and the necklace, Thumper_93, thank you.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

It's not about Emma being feminist. It's about how Emma talked about her character, making the audience believe that animated Belle is not feminist or talking bad about the "other princesses". She didn't want a wedding at the end of the movie, she said to a little girl that Belle is not a princess and she talked too much. She should have acted like She did in little woman and that's all. A woman is not less feminist because she get married at the end of the story or because she's a princess. Lots of princesses have done a great job in her life like Lady Diana and Grace of Monach. Emma thinks that she's the only one who knows everything and She talk more than she should do.

I've been reading this afternoon a book about Fashion History and I saw this photo of Elizabeth Taylor in a ceremony of the OSCAR. I'm sure that they get inspired with her to create Belle's animated dress.

https://www.ecestaticos.com/imagestatic ... 1579565836
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Thumper_93 wrote:It's not about Emma being feminist. It's about how Emma talked about her character, making the audience believe that animated Belle is not feminist or talking bad about the "other princesses". She didn't want a wedding at the end of the movie, she said to a little girl that Belle is not a princess and she talked too much. She should have acted like She did in little woman and that's all. A woman is not less feminist because she get married at the end of the story or because she's a princess. Lots of princesses have done a great job in her life like Lady Diana and Grace of Monach. Emma thinks that she's the only one who knows everything and She talk more than she should do.

I've been reading this afternoon a book about Fashion History and I saw this photo of Elizabeth Taylor in a ceremony of the OSCAR. I'm sure that they get inspired with her to create Belle's animated dress.

It seems like Emma has a superficial idea about princesses. They actually played an important political role and they have certain duties to hold. One example can be how Princess Margaret represented the Crown when she met President Johnson in order to get a loan for the UK.
I agree about the part where she shouldn't dismiss the original princesses. Dismissing them or female characters in general is not very feminist. It reminds me of the people who call themselves "feminists" but then go ahead and bash any woman who doesn't hold to their standards. I'm also not impressed with Disney's faux feminism they implement in their remakes.

Belle's dress was inspired by the dress worn by Audrey Hepburn in the film Roman Holiday. Hepburn herself was an inspiration for Belle.

Last edited by Farerb on Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disney's Divinity

Thumper_93 wrote: She didn't want a wedding at the end of the movie
The original doesn't have a wedding either. Well, I agree with most of what Emma said, actually. :lol: I understand we won't agree on that, it's okay. Standing for something always divides your audience in half, and it's worse with women's issues because women will eat their own. It's always been that way.
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

farerb wrote:
Thumper_93 wrote:It's not about Emma being feminist. It's about how Emma talked about her character, making the audience believe that animated Belle is not feminist or talking bad about the "other princesses". She didn't want a wedding at the end of the movie, she said to a little girl that Belle is not a princess and she talked too much. She should have acted like She did in little woman and that's all. A woman is not less feminist because she get married at the end of the story or because she's a princess. Lots of princesses have done a great job in her life like Lady Diana and Grace of Monach. Emma thinks that she's the only one who knows everything and She talk more than she should do.

It seems like Emma has a superficial idea about princesses. They actually played an important political role and they have certain duties to hold. One example can be how Princess Margaret represented the Crown when she met President Johnson in order to get a loan for the UK.
I agree about the part where she shouldn't dismiss the original princesses. Dismissing them or female characters in general is not very feminist. It reminds me of the people who call themselves "feminists" but then go ahead and bash any woman who doesn't hold to their standards. I'm also not impressed with Disney's faux feminism they implement in their remakes.

Belle's dress was inspired by the dress worn by Audrey Hepburn in the film Roman Holiday. Hepburn herself was an inspiration for Belle.

I know that they get inspired by Audrey's gown, I said it in other replay but they don't only get inspiration in one thing, they investigate so much to create the characters and the skirt of the gown that Liz worn is exactly as Belle's one while Audrey's bodice looks more similar to Belle's. However that kind of bodice were popular in the 80's. You can also watch one worn by Blanche Deveraux's character very similar in "Golden Girls" tv show.

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Thumper_93 wrote: She didn't want a wedding at the end of the movie
The original doesn't have a wedding either. Well, I agree with most of what Emma said, actually. :lol: I understand we won't agree on that, it's okay. Standing for something always divides your audience in half, and it's worse with women's issues because women will eat their own. It's always been that way.
But the end of the movie is a Wedding. I red in a interview that it was planned as a wedding but Emma said that She didn't want a wedding in the movie and that's why they called it "Celebration" :roll:
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

Thumper_93 wrote:
farerb wrote: It seems like Emma has a superficial idea about princesses. They actually played an important political role and they have certain duties to hold. One example can be how Princess Margaret represented the Crown when she met President Johnson in order to get a loan for the UK.

I know that they get inspired by Audrey's gown, I said it in other replay but they don't only get inspiration in one thing, they research so much to create the characters and the skirt of the gown that Liz worn is exactly as Belle's one while Audrey's bodice looks more similar to Belle's. However that kind of bodice were popular in the 80's. You can also watch one worn by Blanche Deveraux's character very similar in "Golden Girls" tv show.
And they don't only get inspired by Audrey, Mark Henn tried to gave Belle an "European look" inspired by other actress from hollywood like Vivian Leigh and from other actress non eruopean like Grace Kelly or Natalie Wood. They investigated lot of women so they could have take inspiration by all of them.

Disney's Divinity wrote:The original doesn't have a wedding either. Well, I agree with most of what Emma said, actually. :lol: I understand we won't agree on that, it's okay. Standing for something always divides your audience in half, and it's worse with women's issues because women will eat their own. It's always been that way.
But the end of the movie is a Wedding. I red in a interview that it was planned as a wedding but Emma said that She didn't want a wedding in the movie and that's why they called it "Celebration" :roll:
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Thumper_93 wrote: I know that they get inspired by Audrey's gown, I said it in other replay but they don't only get inspiration in one thing, they research so much to create the characters and the skirt of the gown that Liz worn is exactly as Belle's one while Audrey's bodice looks more similar to Belle's. However that kind of bodice were popular in the 80's. You can also watch one worn by Blanche Deveraux's character very similar in "Golden Girls" tv show.
And they don't only get inspired by Audrey, Mark Henn tried to gave Belle an "European look" inspired by other actress from hollywood like Vivian Leigh and from other actress non eruopean like Grace Kelly or Natalie Wood. They investigated lot of women so they could have take inspiration by all of them.
Yes, I saw your post now, I must've missed it earlier. I'm sorry.
And yes I agree about the multiple inspirations.
Disney's Divinity

Thumper_93 wrote:
But the end of the movie is a Wedding. I red in a interview that it was planned as a wedding but Emma said that She didn't want a wedding in the movie and that's why they called it "Celebration"
I meant the original doesn't end with a wedding either is all. That Audrey Hepburn dress is very pretty.
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Thumper_93 wrote:
But the end of the movie is a Wedding. I red in a interview that it was planned as a wedding but Emma said that She didn't want a wedding in the movie and that's why they called it "Celebration"
I meant the original doesn't end with a wedding either is all. That Audrey Hepburn dress is very pretty.
Yes! It is! She always looked fabulous. I think that she would have been a perfect belle in any adaptation of the story.

We haven't talked about the Cocteau version of the film. Does anybody know if they get inspiration of it for the LA?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:Well the castle isn't really a sentient being to give her clothes from the wardrobe. If anyone is giving Belle clothes from the wardrobe it's Wardrobe herself.
But the magic of the enchantress that made her a wardrobe could have given her clothes. The magic also added her dress decorations. I actually think it would be better if Belle got actual princess dresses that already existed, but I'm saying there's the possibility magic gave her her clothes and I also like that.
JeanGreyForever wrote:I remember reading about the boots and how they were more practical than the ballet flats she wore in the animated film and I'm pretty sure it was Emma talking about them but I can't remember for sure. I'm not sure if that was a decision she made when it came to formulating the character.
Yes, I remember Emma saying she wanted the boots, I'm just not sure if she was the one who came up with the idea or not.
JeanGreyForever wrote:Oh lol, the tree of life was meant to represent the castle? I don't get that at all especially since the castle is hardly a natural creation of existence. The tree of life thing would have worked in the 2014 live-action French film since that actually was nature oriented. I'm sure there must have been a French symbol or bird or animal that could represent freedom, something that wasn't an eagle. Next we'll be told that Belle always wanted to go to America and see an eagle on her travel atlas so that's why she wore one.
The tree was meant to represent that the castle was living, even if it wasn't made of nature, because trees are alive. I think the metaphor still sucked, I'm just explaining their thinking. We know eagles existed in Germany because of the double-headed eagles that represented royalty that the one girl who was an expert on that kind of thing said (side note on that, people use the double-headed eagle for many fairy tale adaptations so I don't think for instance King Stephan's kingdom really was German), but I don't know about eagles in France. LOL about your joke though.
JeanGreyForever wrote:I've never seen much of a resemblance between Belle and Anne Hathaway anyway but because of Harry Potter, I was fine with her being cast especially since for years I'd heard people online wanting her to get the part. But my first choice was always Anne Hathaway or Emmy Rossum. The CGI for Beast really didn't serve him well and when I look at the BTS pics of the ballroom scene, it looks ridiculous for Dan Stevens to be in that mocap suit and look like some entity from Tron dancing with Emma Watson in her gown. Totally takes the magic away so no wonder Emma couldn't act very well dancing with whatever that was.
Anne Hathaway would have been an incredible Belle! OMG I wish, I wish! But maybe she was too good/expensive for it?! LOL
As I said, I always thought the magic decorations to her dress was rubbish and clearly a cheap attempt to recreate the Cinderella transformation moment. They likely felt it might try and make Belle's dress more appealing after all the flack it got online but it didn't work. There's nothing else in the live-action or animated film that suggests magic created her dresses. This isn't a case of Cinderella or Aurora or even Ariel who had magic dresses thanks to a wand or trident. Even Jasmine had magic clothes in the form of her red slave outfit with Jafar's staff.

I think it was Watson although I didn't want to 100% confirm.

I don't consider the castle living though unlike its cursed inhabitants within its interior. Oh yes, I forgot about the double-headed eagle symbol so they must have existed in Europe although that makes me wonder why they are considered such an American symbol then.

Anne Hathaway I heard was also the original choice for Christine in The Phantom of the Opera movie alongside Hugh Jackman as the Phantom. Not sure why they weren't cast in the end.
DisneyBluLife wrote:When 2017 Beauty and the beast came out all the teenage girl magazines did articles about Emma Watson as Belle.

I think Emma Watson brings that teenage girl audience that Disney wants.
Yes, exactly. It did pull in the interest of all the Potterheads who long compared Belle to Hermione and wanted to see Emma Watson inhabit a similar role as Hermione.
ImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

farerb wrote:

Agreed.
Thumper_93 wrote: But the end of the movie is a Wedding. I red in a interview that it was planned as a wedding but Emma said that She didn't want a wedding in the movie and that's why they called it "Celebration" :roll:
I had no idea that occurred. Disney really seemed to bend themselves backwards to appease Emma on just about every decision on this film. No wonder it came across as a wedding to general audiences. BTW I had never seen that Elizabeth Taylor gown before and I definitely see the Belle parallels even if they weren't intentional.
Thumper_93 wrote: We haven't talked about the Cocteau version of the film. Does anybody know if they get inspiration of it for the LA?
The animated film definitely mentioned references to Cocteau's film but I don't recall anything from the live-action film ever doing the same. Which doesn't surprise me, the film was always going to pale in comparison to its animated counterpart so imagine placing it alongside a bonafide classic like the 1946 Cocteau film.
ImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Thumper_93 wrote: Yes! It is! She always looked fabulous. I think that she would have been a perfect belle in any adaptation of the story.
I've never thought of Hepburn as the beauty before, but, I agree, she probably would have been great in the role. I think I know what dress you were referring to that Blanche wears on TGG--the blue one on the midnight madness episode when Sophia is trying to stop a curse from killing Dorothy? I always thought that was one of the prettiest looks she ever wore on the show.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

JeanGreyForever wrote:As I said, I always thought the magic decorations to her dress was rubbish and clearly a cheap attempt to recreate the Cinderella transformation moment. They likely felt it might try and make Belle's dress more appealing after all the flack it got online but it didn't work. There's nothing else in the live-action or animated film that suggests magic created her dresses. This isn't a case of Cinderella or Aurora or even Ariel who had magic dresses thanks to a wand or trident. Even Jasmine had magic clothes in the form of her red slave outfit with Jafar's staff.
But the wardrobe makes her the first new gown she wears there. She makes it for her. So she could have made her other dresses, too.
JeanGreyForever wrote:I don't consider the castle living though unlike its cursed inhabitants within its interior. Oh yes, I forgot about the double-headed eagle symbol so they must have existed in Europe although that makes me wonder why they are considered such an American symbol then.
I thought the gold decorations going on to her dress was part of the castle being alive?
JeanGreyForever wrote:Anne Hathaway I heard was also the original choice for Christine in The Phantom of the Opera movie alongside Hugh Jackman as the Phantom. Not sure why they weren't cast in the end.
Wow! I would have loved that! But I liked Gerard Butler as the Phantom.
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Thumper_93 wrote: Yes! It is! She always looked fabulous. I think that she would have been a perfect belle in any adaptation of the story.
I've never thought of Hepburn as the beauty before, but, I agree, she probably would have been great in the role. I think I know what dress you were referring to that Blanche wears on TGG--the blue one on the midnight madness episode when Sophia is trying to stop a curse from killing Dorothy? I always thought that was one of the prettiest looks she ever wore on the show.
I don't remember which episode was but yes, I'm sure that it's this one! It had a flower or that's what I remember