Beauty and the Beast (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Beauty and the Beast Live-Action Discussion

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Will Barks wrote:So, no Golden Globe nomination for "Evermore". What's up with that?
Yes, it's a shame, I loved "Evermore." EDIT: Just realized I had a 'y' in there for some reason, lol

For the lazy, does anyone know how many nominations/wins Disney's other live-action re-makes have received the past few years? I'm pretty sure this isn't an exclusive club by any means.... :wink:
Last edited by Disney's Divinity on Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I thought for sure that 'Evermore' would get a nod ! Such a shame that it didn't, really is.
The costumes I would assume have gotten one, but personally I thought they weren't that spectacular enough to warrant one. The less said about her awful yellow dress the better quite frankly :roll:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Will Barks wrote:So, no Golden Globe nomination for "Evermore". What's up with that?
I can't believe they chose the songs from Ferdinand and The Star over it. A shocking, infuriating, and perplexing snub.
Disney's Divinity wrote:For the lazy, does anyone know how many nominations/wins Disney's other live-action re-makes have received the past few years? I'm pretty sure this isn't an exclusive club by any means.
The Golden Globes and Disney's remakes/reimaginings of their animated films/characters:

Into the Woods was nominated for Best Musical or Comedy, Best Performance by an Actress in a Musical or Comedy (Emily Blunt), and Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role (Meryl Streep).
Saving Mr. Banks was nominated for Best Performance by an Actress in a Drama (Emma Thompson).
Alice in Wonderland was nominated for Best Musical or Comedy, Best Original Score, and Best Performance by an Actor in a Musical or Comedy (Johnny Depp).
102 Dalmatians was nominated for Best Performance by an Actress in a Musical or Comedy (Glenn Close).
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Atlantica wrote:The costumes I would assume have gotten one, but personally I thought they weren't that spectacular enough to warrant one. The less said about her awful yellow dress the better quite frankly :roll:
The Golden Globes don't have a costume design category, but Beauty and the Beast's chances are pretty good in that category at the Oscars.

I think Evermore's Oscar nomination chances are still pretty good. The Academy's music branch loves Alan Menken, especially when he works with Disney and it's always worth remembering the Golden Globes and Academy membership do not overlap. I also think Beast will get an Oscar nomination for Production Design.

I don't begrudge Ferdinand's Best Song nomination, but I forget about Mariah Carey's song from "The Star" (I've seen the movie), so I listened to it again...only to forget it a couple of minutes later. But the Golden Globe voters tend to have star power in mind when it comes to the Best Original Song category. They just wanted an excuse for Mariah Carey to show up to the show.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Unfortunately, Golden Globes is all about the pop stars. Remember how Let It Go lost to a song from a rap group (who literally rubbed it in during the speech)
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:For Your Consideration Trailer.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfxAPzFBDkA[/youtube]
Well, regarding the headline of the trailer; If we come to the bare bones, guys, do you honestly think this remake could honestly receive a nomination for best picture? It may be superfluous to think so, but since it's so linked (and similar) to it's animated predecessor, do you think that it could seriously be nominated?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

DisneyFan09 wrote:
Sotiris wrote:For Your Consideration Trailer.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfxAPzFBDkA[/youtube]
Well, regarding the headline of the trailer; If we come to the bare bones, guys, do you honestly think this remake could honestly receive a nomination for best picture? It may be superfluous to think so, but since it's so linked (and similar) to it's animated predecessor, do you think that it could seriously be nominated?
Personally, I don't think it improves on the original at all, and just seems to justify its existence by trying to fill in plotholes, most of them unsatisfactorily, while still not answering the biggest question of all which is the prince's name. I don't think it will be nominated, especially since this year has had many Oscar worthy films already, but I'm a bit biased so I'd like to hear if others feel the same way. Critics seemed to feel as though there was no real reason for this film to exist either except to please casual moviegoers and earn huge box office profits and worthier movies than this have been snubbed when it comes to the awards.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I seriously doubt it. I will be very surprised if it gets nominated and shocked, if it wins. :lol: :lol:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

The thing is the original could have won Best Picture. But honestly this movie felt like a lifeless version of it and like it ruined it so I don't want it nominated. But if it did get nominated, I would also be a little happy at the same time as sad because at least it's like in a way the greatness of the original took it far enough to that.
Last edited by Disney Duster on Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disney's Divinity

I definitely don't expect it to be nominated.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:The thing is the original could have won Best Picture. But honestly this movie felt like a lifeless version of it and like it ruined it so I don't want it nominated. But if it did get nominated, I would also be a little happy at the same time as sad because at least it's like in a way the greatness of the original took it far enough to that.
At least it won the Golden Globe which most people either don't realize or don't find relevant since the Golden Globes aren't the Oscars at the end of the day.
ImageImage
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:At least it won the Golden Globe which most people either don't realize or don't find relevant since the Golden Globes aren't the Oscars at the end of the day.
Well said. If this board had the thumbs-up button, I've would've definitively given you one. The Golden Globe award seems to be forgotten by the majority.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

It did get the Golden Globe, but I guess when it only gets it for Musical or Comedy and not Drama, unlike the Oscars which gives the award in a "best picture, period" way, I do feel like it's not that signifigant. But it really is signifigant, so, you're right. Plus, The Silence of the Lambs is a better movie.

And we don't have a thumbs up button, but use this!: :up:
Disney's Divinity

Beauty and the Beast (2017)'s soundtrack comes in at #12 of 2017's best-selling albums this year with 390,000 copies sold. Moana's at #4 with 680,000 and La La Land's at 19 with 336,000 copies. The list accentuates how poorly albums are selling in general these days. :/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Disney's Divinity wrote:The list accentuates how poorly albums are selling in general these days. :/
Oh no. That sucks. :(
Disney's Divinity

estefan wrote: I don't begrudge Ferdinand's Best Song nomination, but I forget about Mariah Carey's song from "The Star" (I've seen the movie), so I listened to it again...only to forget it a couple of minutes later. But the Golden Globe voters tend to have star power in mind when it comes to the Best Original Song category. They just wanted an excuse for Mariah Carey to show up to the show.
I haven't heard The Star song either. But I do like Mariah, so I can understand their thinking. :lol: I hope it's something along the lines of "Almost Home" from Oz the Great and Powerful.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Original ‘Beauty and the Beast’ Script Included Sequel Tease for Luke Evans’ Gaston
https://www.thewrap.com/original-beauty ... ns-gaston/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

WHY THE FUCK DOES THIS MOVIE NEED A SEQUEL

SERIOUSLY

IT'S NOT EVEN ABOUT IT BEING BAD BUT WHY DOES "BATB" NEED A FUCKING SEQUEL THAT NOBODY WILL FUCKING EVEN WATCH EXPECT THE LUNATICS WHO WATCH EVERYTHING FOURCE.
Disney's Divinity

Not surprising when you consider Alice 2, TJB2, and Maleficent 2. They may still be considering B&tB2 after how much it profited. Remember that the re-makes are only happening for $$$, and if they see the potential for more $$$ in a sequel, it could happen. :|
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Technically, we never see Gaston die so they could still create a sequel with him as the Beast, having magically survived his fall because of the Enchantress. I know people have always wondered why the Beast gets a second chance from his curse, but Gaston never gets the same opportunity to possibly redeem himself. It certainly reminds me of the 1946 BATB since that ends with the Beast taking on the handsome suitor's looks, and the suitor turning into a Beast itself. Which I guess just goes to show how yet again this film would fail to reinvent anything and be original.

I wonder how they'd stick Belle into the story though, and frankly, I'd prefer a sequel without Emma Watson again, even though that would never happen. Luke Evans was one of the best parts of the film, so I wouldn't mind him in the lead.
ImageImage