Beauty and the Beast (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Beauty and the Beast (Live-Action)

Post by Sotiris »

I don't believe this photo has been posted here before. You can find more publicity photos here and here.

Source: http://disneycentralplaza.englishboard. ... 17#3376795
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Hideous... I really wish that dress had just been solid white.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I've never seen that picture before, so thank you! I actually really love the dress. With just a bit more work to make it slightly closer to historically accurate, it would be perfect. If the same were done with the yellow dress, I would love that, too. Just like one overskirt draped in the rippled way the original was with slightly longer 18th century-like sleeves.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I had never seen that picture before either so thanks as well for posting it!

Her final dress was the best dress she has in the film which isn't saying much. I agree that it would be better with some tweaks to make it more historically accurate especially since it looks out of place next to the prince's outfit. However, otherwise I quite liked her dress.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Does anyone wonder what the director of Beauty and the Beast thought of the 2017 live-action film?! Well, here I come in like an enchantress to tell you!!!

I found this site that discusses costumes in film. They have an article called "Burning Question: What's wrong with Belle's gown?". You can read it here. Now, honestly, even though they do a very extensive critique, I don't feel like they got to the plain reason it looks bad. I think it looks bad only because it the overskirts look like limp rectangles hanging off it. And sometimes I think the dress looks nice, particularly in motion and the back is personally gorgeous to me. I think it's like a neat modernization of a retroussée dress (I incorrectly thought the term was polonaise). But there's too many times the dress looks plain or ugly too me. To be honest, maybe if the dress did look a little more retroussée it would be better.

Anyway, here's what director Gary Trousdale said on the site:
Gary Trousdale
It's gratifying that the 1991 toon was so well liked and such a hard act to follow. Honestly, we weren't trying to consciously craft a "masterpiece"...we only wanted to make a movie that people would enjoy and would stand with the great Disney classics of the past without being embarrassed. I have to cut the live action crew some slack...I think they did a damn fine job. if it were me doing the 2017 version, I might have made some different choices, but I think they did good.
-Gary Trousdale
Director, Beauty and the Beast 1991
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Lindsay Ellis' video essay about Beauty and the Beast remake:
https://youtu.be/vpUx9DnQUkA
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

And she's just among one of the many haters this movie has.

However, she does makes a good point about the delineation between the live action remakes from Eisner's era to this era (it's surprising that she didn't mention Burton's Alice in Wonderland, perhaps she didn't see it as equal) and addresses that the movies from this generation are pretty much a result of the scrutinizing and criticism that has occurred online lately. And yes, it may be a shallow notion to claim this, but it's pretty much a relevant one.

With that said, it's pretty much fair to say that the plot of Favreau's remake of The Jungle Book was perhaps a direct response to Walt's classic, which at least plotwise was an improvement over the 1967 film. Regardless of what could be said about Walt's The Jungle Book, it's storyline is pretty slim, episodic and incongruous (despite that I've realized that I do have a fondness for Walt's version, despite it's fault). So Favreau's versions storyline was more satisfyingly done and was more intelligent and congruous.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I agree that the current live-action films based on more contemporary Disney films face more scrutiny than the older Walt era ones. Especially when it comes to "plotholes."

Favreau specifically remarked that he wanted his version of The Jungle Book to serve as a bridge between the original book and the Walt Disney film. After reading the book, I realized that the live-action film is very accurate which I enjoyed. It definitely has more of a plot structure than Walt Disney's animated film.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Yeah, Favreau's version was pretty much an amalgam of Kipling's original book and Walt's version.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow, I totally agree with Lindsay Ellis. She opened my eyes more to how terrible the film is.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I think she touched a more serious problem than the film itself. Disney has become too cynical about its legacy and it is in every product they produce, from changing Rapunzel to Tangled to parodying all their princesses in Ralph Breaks the Internet.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

I don't get where's all the praise coming for the Jungle Book remake. It's probably even more aimless than the original film or book, merging the two without understanding how both worked with different aims, and pulling out a lazy ending (so Mowgli doesn't leave for the man village even though that was the intended character development...Mkay).

If you guys think the BATB movie having so many subplots explaining the "plot holes" of the original film are bad, then get prepared for I feel it in my bones that the next films will be hurt of his treatment so much more. Hello Dumbo and "actually the circus are nice to him and we'll add some bs explanation as to why he can fly", hello Aladdin and "Jasmine will own the lamp at the end and give a wish to make Aladdin a prince before he turns into the Genie", and more and more.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I don't think she praised The Jungle Book but meant to say "hey at least they tried something different".
Disney's Divinity

Who cares if she praises TJB or not. One opinion doesn't stop it from being the one genuinely good-to-great film that's been made among the live-action remakes, B&tB being the next step down. If YouTube mouthpieces meant anything at all in the scheme of things, Disney's original hand-drawn B&tB and TLK--two of Disney's most universally beloved films--would be despised, too. They aren't because online nitpicking means very little.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Who cares if she praises TJB or not. One opinion doesn't stop it from being the one genuinely good-to-great film that's been made among the live-action remakes, B&tB being the next step down. If YouTube mouthpieces meant anything at all in the scheme of things, Disney's original hand-drawn B&tB and TLK--two of Disney's most universally beloved films--would be despised, too. They aren't because online nitpicking means very little.
She actually talks about how online nitpicking has contributed to the cynical changes in BatB's remake. She doesn't even talk about TJB except one line.
Disney's Divinity

farerb wrote: She actually talks about how online nitpicking has contributed to the cynical changes in BatB's remake.
I would contribute that more to professional critiques and analyses over the years (from perspectives of gender, race, etc.) than narcissists on YouTube, tumblr, and the like.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

To be honest, I thought that Lindsay were just nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking on this video. Though I don't always agree with all of her points, I think that she has enough substance and depth to make her points valuable (which makes her videos interesting). Here she wasn't and though I agree that Belle and Beast's relationship is more enhanced in the animated version (they fall in love for the sake of their own terms), her other points weren't as valuable enough.

But I wonder where she found the information for the supposedly opening letter for the movie.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

You do know that opening letter was fake, right?

The Beast doesn't seem so kind and interested and in love with Belle or vice versa in the live-action remake.

Cinderella is the best of the live-action remakes.
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

DisneyFan09 wrote:To be honest, I thought that Lindsay were just nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking on this video. Though I don't always agree with all of her points, I think that she has enough substance and depth to make her points valuable (which makes her videos interesting). Here she wasn't and though I agree that Belle and Beast's relationship is more enhanced in the animated version (they fall in love for the sake of their own terms), her other points weren't as valuable enough.

But I wonder where she found the information for the supposedly opening letter for the movie.
At least she does know more about what she's talking due to having more knowledge about this kind of thing than he from that internet review series that must not be named.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney Duster wrote:You do know that opening letter was fake, right?
OK. Bummer of mine. Sorry.
Tristy wrote:At least she does know more about what she's talking due to having more knowledge about this kind of thing than he from that internet review series that must not be named.
Who, Voldemort? :P

Agreed, that's why I consider her videos to be superior.