The Lone Ranger (2013)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Re: Disney preps 'Lone Ranger' remake

Post by PatrickvD »

dvdjunkie wrote:I never say "I told you so"!!! But I will make a special case for this. PG-13 was the death-knoll for this film. The Lone Ranger never used foul language or cursed. He never killed a man, he always shot to wound. Tonto never wore warpaint for one-minute in the television series or the three movies based on the legendary television show. The Lone Ranger never dallied with the opposite sex, and he was never seen without his mask, even in the three early episodes of the television show that told how he became the Lone Ranger.

I am loving this: I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!
No one outside of 60+ even remembers the TV show so how could changes from the show be the reason it tanked? You're kidding yourself if you think that's why it flopped. The reason it tanked is because Bruckheimer is a lousy producer and the script was bland. Disney would do best to cut ties with him once they wrap up Pirates... 8....

Also 'foul language'?.... I'm sure you're a great guy, but I can't help picturing Clint Eastwood sitting on his porch when you post such funny stuff. :) :up:
Scamander
Special Edition

Post by Scamander »

disneyboy20022 wrote:Let's use another scenario. Harry Potter 8 beat Winnie The Pooh. Let's say someone says it's because Winnie the pooh is dumb and there's not enough plot and the original voices aren't back. That's the reason it falied to Harry Potter 8. No Harry Potter 8 was going to beat any movie that weekend. The only reason Pooh didn't do well was because they put it against a movie that had momentum. This is the same for Despicable Me 2. It has more momentum than The Lone Ranger did.
Can you explain then please, why Winnie the Pooh made not even $10 Mio. in international territories, although the movie started in most important markets between April and June and didn't even compete there with Harry Potter? And yes, Winnie the Pooh is huge here, too.

In case of 'The Lone Ranger' I thought from the beginning, that Disney dropped the ball with this one and wouldn't even watch it in the cinemas, if there'd be no competition, whatsoever. And Johnny Depps well-rehearsed wannabe loony characters are super annoying at this point, just like the ones of Henea Bonham Carter. And both are actually good actors. I just don't want to see them any time soon together in one film, but I'm sure Tim Burton will find another perfect film he can make to keep them busy. :roll:
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Scamander wrote:
disneyboy20022 wrote:Can you explain then please, why Winnie the Pooh made not even $10 Mio. in international territories, although the movie started in most important markets between April and June and didn't even compete there with Harry Potter? And yes, Winnie the Pooh is huge here, too.
It received a limited release overseas. Don't let the box office figures fool you. Disney simply didn't bother to properly release it.
Scamander
Special Edition

Post by Scamander »

PatrickvD wrote:
Scamander wrote:Can you explain then please, why Winnie the Pooh made not even $10 Mio. in international territories, although the movie started in most important markets between April and June and didn't even compete there with Harry Potter? And yes, Winnie the Pooh is huge here, too.
It received a limited release overseas. Don't let the box office figures fool you. Disney simply didn't bother to properly release it.
According to imdb it didn't (except for the Czech release) and I know for sure it wasn't limited in Germany. It was shown in every multiplex for several weeks, here.
disneyftw1
Gold Classic Collection

Post by disneyftw1 »

dvdjunkie wrote:I never say "I told you so"!!! But I will make a special case for this. PG-13 was the death-knoll for this film. The Lone Ranger never used foul language or cursed. He never killed a man, he always shot to wound. Tonto never wore warpaint for one-minute in the television series or the three movies based on the legendary television show. The Lone Ranger never dallied with the opposite sex, and he was never seen without his mask, even in the three early episodes of the television show that told how he became the Lone Ranger.

I am loving this: I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!
... first of all, this is 2013, not the 1940's or whatnot, so changes bound to occur. I did see the film last night with a friend of mine, and here's a few responses from your quote... okay, I didn't really see the old "Lone Ranger" series, so I'll say how turned out on its own.
Here's the thing: PG-13 wouldn't always mean that it would do bad in box office (but wow, did I not expect this amount of violence to be shown in a PG-13 Disney flick. ... kind of strange considering that some kids might end up seeing this regardless of the rating.), the foul language from Lone Ranger was PG-language, so no huge harm done, Tonto might as well have the warpaint cause of what just happened, and I'm okay with the Lone ranger shown without the mask, 'cause that was BEFORE WHAT WOULD HAPPEN THAT WOULD TURN HIM INTO THE LONE RANGER.
Overall, I find the film okay. Some good scenes, but boy did I not expect Tonto to be the better character than The Lone Ranger.
This is DisneyFTW1, a former Youtube account that was terminated by Disney themselves. My current Youtube Account is FilmFTW2 (FilmFTW1 was terminated). Youtube sucks when it comes to film uploads, and it sucks even more when major corporations are following your channels. But what can I do?
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

The Lone Ranger's Lonely Defenders: Critics Ride to the Maligned Blockbuster's Rescue
The reviews for The Lone Ranger are in, and by and large they're pretty dire: Criticwire's C average is the only place the movie musters a passing grade. But a small handful of prominent critics have made a strong case for the movie's virtues, going so far as to suggest that those who pounced on the film this week will be eating their words in the not-too-distant future.
http://blogs.indiewire.com/criticwire/l ... od-reviews
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

In 3 days of Thursday, Friday, And Saturday it's made $30 million, now true the Sunday's count isn't in yet, but I don't those crtics will be eating their words unless it brings in another $40 million today which to me is doubtful

Whether it's a good film to me, I'll find out later today
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Scamander wrote:
PatrickvD wrote: It received a limited release overseas. Don't let the box office figures fool you. Disney simply didn't bother to properly release it.
According to imdb it didn't (except for the Czech release) and I know for sure it wasn't limited in Germany. It was shown in every multiplex for several weeks, here.
It was released in only a handful of theaters in The Netherlands and was gone within a few weeks. It only played in the morning. And I saw no posters or TV spots. Yes it was released in every country. But with every intention of it leaving theaters as quickly as possible.
Scamander
Special Edition

Post by Scamander »

PatrickvD wrote:
Scamander wrote:
It was released in only a handful of theaters in The Netherlands and was gone within a few weeks. It only played in the morning. And I saw no posters or TV spots. Yes it was released in every country. But with every intention of it leaving theaters as quickly as possible.
Okay, I see. Maybe Germany was an exception then. I can only judge how they managed the German release and here they were actually advertising the release. They had huge posters and cardboard stand-ups in cinemas and the trailer was included on many blu-rays. I don't know about TV spots (because I rarely watch TV), but I know for sure it was shown in almost all multiplex cinemas across the country for several weeks and not only in the morning. Sure, there were no late night showings, but they did screen it in late afternoon, here.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

I liked it. It was very enjoyable. To me it's performance in theaters relates to John Carter

FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

disneyboy20022 wrote:I liked it. It was very enjoyable. To me it's performance in theaters relates to John Carter
Apparently it's doing even worse then John Carter.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

There are multiple factors behind a movie's success or failure. One is the demand. Then there's word of mouth. Quality sometimes has something to do with it, as does competition from rival studios. Etc.
FigmentJedi wrote:
disneyboy20022 wrote:I liked it. It was very enjoyable. To me it's performance in theaters relates to John Carter
:jawdrop:

Also, I liked John Carter. Really liked it.
disneyftw1
Gold Classic Collection

Post by disneyftw1 »

FigmentJedi wrote:
Yeah, kind of sad despite the fact that it's competing against a sequel to a very popular Universal CGI animated film. Seriously, Despicable Me 2's marketing was crazy! (to the point where you can pre-order a personal copy in various formats BEFORE hitting theaters.) ... by the way, I haven't seen Despicable Me 2 yet. Oh dear I'm behind...
For the Lone Ranger's Marketing... different and kind of slim compared to Desp. Me 2. (also, PG-family film vs. PG-13 that's not so family friendly... actually, not for the young kids... see the difference?) On top of that, many critics were not fond of the film, which kind of damaged its reputation on being a huge hit compared to Despicable Me 2.
... but the good news is, at least my money went into seeing this in theaters, so I don't feel guilty. (probably the opposite for not seeing Desp. Me 2 right away.) To admit, similar to what I've posted earlier, the film does have many flaws, but it's thankfully entertaining at times.
Also, I liked John Carter. Really liked it.
Am I the only one around here that thinks that the praise and hype of that film was a bit overrated?
This is DisneyFTW1, a former Youtube account that was terminated by Disney themselves. My current Youtube Account is FilmFTW2 (FilmFTW1 was terminated). Youtube sucks when it comes to film uploads, and it sucks even more when major corporations are following your channels. But what can I do?
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

The BIGGEST reason films like John Carter and The Lone Ranger fail is because of this monster money using 250 million dollars to make a summer blockbuster

PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Lone Ranger is 15 million ahead of John Carter. Why do people make up Box Office numbers around here? Just go to BoxOfficeMojo.com and look it up to prevent false information spreading.

Oh and both did horribly either way. :P
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

I've seen both the original 1950's show and the 1981 film. From what I've read, I'm ok with The Lone Ranger taking his mask off so far as that this is an origin story. Had they made more, I'd hope it would have stayed on. I'm not as happy with Tonto however, and feel that having Johnny Depp play him might actually have been one of the bigger factors into why it did not do very well. As for the violence, from what I've heard, it may be the most violent film to bare the Disney name. Now, it seems to me that outside of the "Pirates" film, Disney has yet to release a PG-13 "Disney" film and have it do very well. Could it maybe be that families are trying to tell them something and the powers at be at Disney are simply not listening?

I for one am getting tired of see the "Disney" brand name draged thru the mud, and I think "The Lone Ranger" is just the latest in a long line of DIsney films that are not really appropriate as Disney films. This same thing happend in the late 1970's/early 1980's with films like "Trenchcoat,' but thankfully was ended before it could go more down hill. Will the powers that be right now learn that lesson is the question?
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

milojthatch wrote:As for the violence, from what I've heard, it may be the most violent film to bare the Disney name. Now, it seems to me that outside of the "Pirates" film, Disney has yet to release a PG-13 "Disney" film and have it do very well. Could it maybe be that families are trying to tell them something and the powers at be at Disney are simply not listening?
I've seen LR and all four Pirates movies and it's less violent than any them. Maybe you should actually see it for yourself instead of passing judgement on it based on hysterical house wives? The movie's a plain old regular PG in Canada, which you should you a hint over how bad the violence actually is. I've read reviews from those concerned and then leaving the theatre fine with it.

Saving Mr. Banks will also have a PG-13 rating too so it sounds like Disney PG-13 ratings will not be going away any time soon.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Looks like Disney has thrown in the towel with "The Lone Ranger". According to Boxoffice Magazine, with only $52 million dollars in gross, Disney is giving theater owners permission to bail on their once solid four week minimum contract.

Here in Wichita, all four theaters are bailing on this loser flick next Thursday, July 18.

Boxoffice says that Disney tried to sell this to a younger audience than their ill-fated "John Carter" but failed miserably. This is the third time Disney has reneged on the "hard" 4-week booking for a movie.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Johnny Depp blames critics for 'Lone Ranger' flop
http://www.nbcnews.com/entertainment/jo ... 6C10856386
Johnny Depp is blaming the messenger. Now that "Lone Ranger" can pretty much be considered a flop (made for $250 million, it's only taken in $87 million at the domestic box office), he's turning his ire on critics for its failure.

"I think the reviews were written seven to eight months before we even released the film," he told Yahoo! Movies UK and Ireland. "I think the reviews were probably written when they heard that Gore (Verbinski) and Jerry (Bruckheimer) and I were going to do 'The Lone Ranger.' They had expectations that it must be a blockbuster. I didn't have any expectations of that. I never do."

Producer Bruckheimer was equally miffed at the reviewers. "I think they were reviewing the budget, not reviewing the movie. The audience doesn't care what the budget is — they pay the same amount to see the movie if it costs a dollar or $20 million."

He added, "It's unfortunate because the movie is a terrific movie, it's a great epic film. It has lots of humor. Its one of those movies that whatever critics missed in it this time, they'll review it in a few years and see that they made a mistake."

Star Armie Hammer was equally disappointed. "While we were making it we kind of knew that people were gunning for it. I think it was the popular thing when the movie hit rocky terrain to jump on the bandwagon to try and bash it. They tried to do the same thing with 'World War Z'; it didn’t work, the movie was successful. Instead they decided to slit the jugular of our movie.”

Currently, "The Lone Ranger" holds a low 28 percent on Rotten Tomatoes' Tomatometer, indicating percentage of positive reviews. Compare that with Depp's "Dark Shadows" (38 percent) and "Rango" (88 percent), along with Bruckheimer, who hasn't had a Tomatometer score go above 55 percent since 2004