101 Dalmatians (1996)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
gl2686

101 Dalmatians (1996)

Post by gl2686 »

is there any news about a re-release of the 1996 version with Glenn Close?
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

No. It's about 7 years overdue. Maybe now that Disney's confident that today's families are familiar with the animated film, they'll get around to re-releasing the live-action one in the Special Edition it would seem to deserve. Though I suppose we'd be more likely to see a 101/102 2-Movie Collection, possibly even with the bizarre mix of aspect ratios that the old 2-pack had.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I would love a re-release of this film. I remember loving it when I saw it in theaters, but sadly I havn't seen it since...
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

I am actually very surprised and upset that they haven't re-released this movie in a special edition! It's waaaaay over due! You can give or take 102 Dalmatians, but I love this one! How do they get away with releasing a special edition of the animated sequel, but not this?

Come on Disney! You have a hugely wasted opportunity here, take advantage of it!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Maybe they're afraid the public will get confused with two 101 Dalmatians on the shelf? I'd like to see this one get a release though, but as we know, Disney's not good at taking opportunities.
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

UmbrellaFish wrote:Maybe they're afraid the public will get confused with two 101 Dalmatians on the shelf?
Oh God I hope not! It makes me feel so much better Disney has barely any confidence in me that I can tell which movie is which from a cover on a shelf.
kbehm29
Anniversary Edition

Post by kbehm29 »

I, also, am anxiously waiting for this re-release. I missed out on it the first time around.
I do have 102 Dalmatians. Can't wait to hear any news on this!
Disneyland Trips: 1983, 1992, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, Aug 2018
Walt Disney World Trips: 1999, 2007, 2011, 2014, 2016, ~Dec 2018~, ~Apr 2019~
Favorite Disney Movies: Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians, Tangled, The Princess and the Frog, Enchanted, FROZEN
Mason_Ireton
Banned

Post by Mason_Ireton »

I agree this film could use a possible 2 disc special editon. I'd include a commentary, full length documentary, all the laserdisc's specials. Trailers too.

I remember growin up with this film and thought it was a new disney film, cause I never heard/seen the animated verison, so I thought this was the orignal *chuckles* I was in 3rd grade at the time.

It would cause confusion/frustation for customers who bought the ORIGNAL verison then hearin bout the live action being re-released, they just handed $20 for the platinum and giving another $20 for a live action remake seems kinda distraught. Even parents would be suckered into buying 2 verisons of this Disney classic.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

magicalwands wrote:Oh God I hope not! It makes me feel so much better Disney has barely any confidence in me that I can tell which movie is which from a cover on a shelf.
Let us note that this is the same Disney that recently issued the press release The Disney Classic You Think You Own - But Do You?? Walt Disney's Original Animated "101 Dalmatians".
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

It just gets sadder and sadder.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I can't actually belive Disney has the balls to include that in their press release. It's like when they announced that Captain Hook 'was the original Captain Jack Sparrow' in Peter Pan's Press Release :roll:
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

Luke wrote:Maybe now that Disney's confident that today's families are familiar with the animated film, they'll get around to re-releasing the live-action one in the Special Edition it would seem to deserve.
The only thing Disney is currently confident in is that nothing of theirs will sell well unless a Princess or Hannah Montana is on it.
Last edited by Timon/Pumbaa fan on Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daydreamer22010
Limited Issue

Post by daydreamer22010 »

Mason_Ireton wrote:I agree this film could use a possible 2 disc special editon. I'd include a commentary, full length documentary, all the laserdisc's specials. Trailers too.
I agree that this movie could benefit from a 2 disc SE release. I loved Glenn Close in this film. Her portrayal of Cruella de Vil was amazing! :)
rougescrooge

Post by rougescrooge »

Hello, I'm freshly new here,

Even in the later parts of career as this was, and even if the material wasn't his own John Hughes still could write a better story than half the industry. Makes it a little disappointing the Eisner-Wells team never brought him on board when he was at his peak; they would have killed for the rights to Home Alone.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: 101 Dalmatians (1996)

Post by D82 »

Glenn Close reveals unexpected inspiration for Cruella de Vil in 101 Dalmatians
https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a3479 ... spiration/

The article is based on a video by Vanity Fair in which Glenn Close breaks down her career. This is the moment from the video where she talks about playing Cruella.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I like this movie.
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

I would say the first half of this movie is the best live action remake they have made so far.

They lose me once it becomes all about pratfalls and animal antics...
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

7 Biggest Surprises From Pete Davidson and Glenn Close's Incredible Interview for Actors on Actors
https://variety.com/2021/film/news/pete ... 234891186/
5. Close kept all her costumes from playing Cruella de Vil in “101” and “102 Dalmatians.”

Davidson tells Close that one of his favorite performances of hers growing up was in the 1996 live-action “101 Dalmatians” and its 2000 sequel “102 Dalmatians,” where she played the puppy-hating villain Cruella De Vil.

“There’s just so many questions,” Davidson says. “Cruella is amazing.”

“I asked to get some of the original dialogue from the animated feature because she said, ‘Chloroform them! Drown them!'” Close says. “It’s really horrible stuff. I realized the meaner she was, the better she was. I loved that character

Close reveals that she kept all her costumes, although Disney tried to renege on a deal they’d made with her. “I got in my contract that I got to keep all my costumes that I wore in the movie,” Close says. “Then when they found out how expensive they were, they were unhappy that it was in my contract. They wanted to make another copy, another set, for me. I said no.”
Here's the video of the full conversation about 101 Dalmatians: https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1353817420385890304
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Glenn Close Talks Wanting to Play Cruella Again and Her New Jazz Album (EXCLUSIVE)
https://variety.com/2021/film/columns/g ... 234966635/
Emma Stone may be taking on the role of Cruella de Vil in Disney’s “Cruella,” but that doesn’t mean Glenn Close is done playing the Disney villain. “I have a great story to make another Cruella with my Cruella,” Close tells me. She’s tightlipped about details but teases, “Cruella comes to New York and disappears down the sewers.”
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Glenn Close Breaks Down Her Most Iconic Costumes
https://variety.com/lists/glenn-close-b ... -costumes/
Cruella de Vil
Costume Designer: Anthony Powell

He and Ann are the people that I’ve worked with the most in my career and Anthony had such an
amazing twinkle in his eye and he would challenge me with costumes.

Those Cruella costumes were not always easy to move in but you have to because the heels were high and the furs were very heavy. You couldn’t have them wear you, you had to wear them. I was really happy and I think it was important that I’d had a career on stage and knew how to move around and in various costumes.

But it was fun to maneuver those furs. My entrance in “101 Dalmatians” when I come out of the car, those heels were made out of nails. When we finally got to shooting me going down what is the runway my feet were on fire. I finally got these boots with very high soles that I could wear when my feet weren’t on camera. Every time I see that I remember how sore my feet were.

I had a very tight corset measured every morning – 21 inches. The costumes had to fit like a glove. I had a corset, and that was very important to have that fabulous shape.

I had just finished the original run of “Sunset Boulevard” and I had worn fake nails glued on my hands for over a year and a half and my nails were really thin. Anthony said, ‘We’ll just put them outside the gloves,’ and that’s the reason why Cruella has nails outside the gloves because my fingernails were very fragile.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage