Official Enchanted Thread-Part 2

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Ktrek
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Ktrek »

I think it mildly resembles her but if I did not know it was supposed to be her I would have had no clue whatsoever. Sorry but that's the truth!

Kevin
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Post by slave2moonlight »

Ktrek wrote:I think it mildly resembles her but if I did not know it was supposed to be her I would have had no clue whatsoever. Sorry but that's the truth!

Kevin
Ha, chill. No prob. Like I said, I've mostly gotten the opposite opinion.
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition
Location: beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment

Post by Ariel'sprince »

I just got the mobile game!.
In the mobile game you don't play as Giselle at all (which is kinda disappointing) but still it's a fun game.
The game is about Giselle tells her animales about her prince but she's starting to forget how he looks like so Pip and some animales (a bunny,a deer and a pig) make the statue for her (and they forgot lips,the only thing that touch) and in the end Giselle thanks him (after they forgot the lips) and she's wondering what if she meets a real prince... and they show us a picture of Giselle with Edward.
But overall it's a good game.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Disney's Enchanted

Post by Disney Duster »

Ariel'sprince wrote:Disney Duster,what place is Giselle in your Disney Princess rank?.
Hmm...well, to be honest, I don't know if I can consider her an official Disney princess in my own mind, the one reason being because she's supposed to be a culmination of all the princesses before her (and she's not in a fully animated film).

She seems like she's imitating the Disney princesses, and she did such a good job she feels like a real one, just one that's a lot like all the others.

So, I suppose I might just have to rank her after Cinderella, Aurora, and maybe Ariel. So I guess she'd be after all those. Her high place before the rest of the princesses has a lot to do with her design and dresses, actually.

By the way, where did you get your new avatar? It looks like the most art nouveau picture of Giselle ever, in her beginning stages when they decided to use art nouveau in the first place.
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

slave2moonlight wrote:Saw it last night, finally! It was fantastic! I'm sure a lot of people who knew me in school think I had something to do with this film, since it was widely known that my greatest fantasy was that Ariel would become REAL one day and end up staying with me, and we'd eventually get hitched, ha.

I went to the Disney Store right after, hoping to pick up some sort of item to commemorate the movie, but most everything seemed to be for little girls. There wasn't even a snowglobe or a vinyl bank or figure, or anything. The most appealing things right now are the soundtrack, the Giselle poster at Wal-Mart, and the plushes they have of Giselle. I might end up getting one of those or a combination eventually. Gotta get something! Totally loved it and Giselle! Incidentally, some time back I added her to my Disney Girls drawing. Hadn't seen the movie yet though, but I still think it came out okay:

http://slave2moonlight.deviantart.com/a ... s-67020662
Wow, when you are finished (if ever, since they keep making new girls, lol), I would so love to buy a print of that for my daughter's room. And I LOVE the addition of the animals. Often they are so forgotten when people think of Disney Heroines and Princesses.
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Siren wrote:
Wow, when you are finished (if ever, since they keep making new girls, lol), I would so love to buy a print of that for my daughter's room. And I LOVE the addition of the animals. Often they are so forgotten when people think of Disney Heroines and Princesses.
Thanks. I need to add more animals soon. :)
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition

Post by Ariel'sprince »

Disney Duster wrote:
Ariel'sprince wrote:Disney Duster,what place is Giselle in your Disney Princess rank?.
Hmm...well, to be honest, I don't know if I can consider her an official Disney princess in my own mind, the one reason being because she's supposed to be a culmination of all the princesses before her (and she's not in a fully animated film).

She seems like she's imitating the Disney princesses, and she did such a good job she feels like a real one, just one that's a lot like all the others.

So, I suppose I might just have to rank her after Cinderella, Aurora, and maybe Ariel. So I guess she'd be after all those. Her high place before the rest of the princesses has a lot to do with her design and dresses, actually.

By the way, where did you get your new avatar? It looks like the most art nouveau picture of Giselle ever, in her beginning stages when they decided to use art nouveau in the first place.
Oh,i still consider her :D it's like saying that Aurora or Ariel are not a Disney Princesses (if they were not a real princesses) and i don't think she's making fun of them :) (also about the anger-she just asked naively,she also didn't saw extreme anger and i think that extreme anger was the point).
About my avater-it's a concept art i found in the Enchanted thread with the pictures (the first thread,not the old one with the trailer).
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Ha, it was kinda funny when she learned about anger. It was like, great, this guy has found a girl who really believes in love and who will never leave him like his ex. Then she learned about anger and I was like, "okay, forget that. The potential for divorce or abandonment has returned."
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

I know it's too late, but I FINALLY saw it today, and it was AMAZING!!!!!!!!! I was never bored; and I had a smile on my first through the whole thing. The songs were appropriate and didn't stop the plot. I thought Jodi Benson's part was really good. It felt like more than just a cameo. I also felt that there should have been room for Illene Woods & Mary Costa to have a plausible cameo. Julie Andrews as the narrator was perfect. It was also pretty funny. There were many laugh out loud moments, which I did.
As for the main actors and actresses, they were all GREAT! All of them were perfect for their parts. I loved Robert's daughter. She was really sweet. I liked both Robert and Edward, but I can see why Giselle chose who she chose. I also LOVED Nancy. There was something about her that I liked. I also liked Nancy's outcome, but I felt she chose so fast. If it was me, I would have thought for a moment before I went along.
The battle scene was fantastic. Many people on here felt it was lacking, but I thought it was just perfect. The theatre I was in was very loud, so during the scene, I was freaked a little.
Amy Adams was wonderful!!! Words aren't enough to describe her performance. The same goes for Susan Sarandon, Patrick Dempsey, and James Marsden. Like I've stated, they were all cast perfectly.
The only thing I didn't like was the ending montage. I felt it was rushed.
As for the plot, I loved it. I saw a combination of previous Disney films and other musicals in the story. Giselle reminded me of a modern Maria Von Trapp.
I would recommend this movie to anybody. It makes you happy and you forget about your troubles. When watching it, you feel like you are in a fairy tale. When I left the theatre, I was thinking "wow, the real world sucks." It truly makes you believe in love and Ever After. I am usually as optimistic and happy as Giselle, but if I took it to the extreme like she did, I think people would think I'm crazy.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Disney's Enchanted

Post by Disney Duster »

Ariel'sprince wrote:Oh,i still consider her :D it's like saying that Aurora or Ariel are not a Disney Princesses (if they were not a real princesses) and i don't think she's making fun of them :) (also about the anger-she just asked naively,she also didn't saw extreme anger and i think that extreme anger was the point).
About my avater-it's a concept art i found in the Enchanted thread with the pictures (the first thread,not the old one with the trailer).
It's not like saying Aurora or Ariel aren't Disney Princesses. There's things they have Giselle doesn't, such as being animated by Disnet themselves, being in fully animated classics, and not trying to imitae the princesses before them (though that is arguable). I never thought Giselle was making fun of the princesses, but she is supposed to be like all the ones that came before her. Even though she is a seperate princess, she's supposed to be a lot like all the ones before her. She's like a representation of the Disney princesses.

Can you direct me to the thread you found the picture in? I couldn't find it.
slave2moonlight wrote:Ha, it was kinda funny when she learned about anger. It was like, great, this guy has found a girl who really believes in love and who will never leave him like his ex. Then she learned about anger and I was like, "okay, forget that. The potential for divorce or abandonment has returned."
All Giselle said was sometimes he made her so angry. She still believed in love and never leaving someone who you love. Giselle was getting her anger out. If you bottle it up and never let someone know you're angry at them, I think that would cause more potential for divorce.
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Disney Duster wrote: All Giselle said was sometimes he made her so angry. She still believed in love and never leaving someone who you love. Giselle was getting her anger out. If you bottle it up and never let someone know you're angry at them, I think that would cause more potential for divorce.
Well, while I think you're taking my comment in a more serious tone than it was intended, I'm not disagreeing about bottling up anger. What I meant was that it seemed to me that as a toon Giselle didn't even have any anger in her to bottle up. Like, somehow she couldn't feel angry inside or out.
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition

Post by Ariel'sprince »

Disney Duster wrote:
Ariel'sprince wrote:Oh,i still consider her :D it's like saying that Aurora or Ariel are not a Disney Princesses (if they were not a real princesses) and i don't think she's making fun of them :) (also about the anger-she just asked naively,she also didn't saw extreme anger and i think that extreme anger was the point).
It's not like saying Aurora or Ariel aren't Disney Princesses. There's things they have Giselle doesn't, such as being animated by Disnet themselves, being in fully animated classics, and not trying to imitae the princesses before them (though that is arguable). I never thought Giselle was making fun of the princesses, but she is supposed to be like all the ones that came before her. Even though she is a seperate princess, she's supposed to be a lot like all the ones before her. She's like a representation of the Disney princesses.

Can you direct me to the thread you found the picture in? I couldn't find it.
I think that's what good about her-she's both a classic and a morden princess,Tiana also sounds very much like Cinderella,Belle,Jasmine and Pocahontas.
Here you go:
The thread:
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/vie ... c&start=80
The picture:
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p208 ... 006/17.jpg
(how's the avater by the way? also i made Giselle's Unenchanted Tale and i can also make one for Nancy altought she's not a heroine (She's like Nakoma)).
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition

Post by Ariel'sprince »

Harald blog just add concept art of the Troll,animales and Pip,Edward and Giselle.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Ariel'sprince wrote:Harald blog just add concept art of the Troll,animales and Pip,Edward and Giselle.
can you please post a link.
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition

Post by Ariel'sprince »

Flanger-Hanger wrote:
Ariel'sprince wrote:Harald blog just add concept art of the Troll,animales and Pip,Edward and Giselle.
can you please post a link.
Here we go:
Troll:
http://haraldsiepermann.blogspot.com/20 ... final.html
Pip and Animales:
http://haraldsiepermann.blogspot.com/20 ... imals.html
Edward:
http://haraldsiepermann.blogspot.com/20 ... dward.html
Giselle:
http://haraldsiepermann.blogspot.com/20 ... -back.html
My favorite concept arts were:
http://bp2.blogger.com/_VBhCWRP4MM8/R02 ... le_126.jpg
http://bp1.blogger.com/_VBhCWRP4MM8/R00 ... 0-h/13.jpg
http://bp0.blogger.com/_VBhCWRP4MM8/R00 ... 00-h/2.jpg
http://bp2.blogger.com/_VBhCWRP4MM8/R02 ... le_132.jpg
and:
http://bp3.blogger.com/_VBhCWRP4MM8/R02 ... le_172.jpg
(She looks like TinkerBell here).
My opinion-
Edward-he's kinda ugly in those concept arts.
Pip and Animales-nice but still (and it's not cute) and Pip (why he called him Chip?) is... werid here.
Troll-really ugly (especially the one in which he's wearing a cow,just horrible).
Giselle-very nice,but... why is she wear a bra? (and in one concept art posted she look like TinkerBell) also i liked that she looks like a nymep insted of the useual Disney Princess.
akhenaten
Anniversary Edition

Post by akhenaten »

this weekend's estimates r up..looks like enchanted made as much as hairspray after all..hooray! i hope it will exceed bee movie's financial takings.
do you still wait for me Dream Giver?
Billy Moon
Special Edition

Post by Billy Moon »

Disney Duster wrote:I never thought Giselle was making fun of the princesses, but she is supposed to be like all the ones that came before her. Even though she is a seperate princess, she's supposed to be a lot like all the ones before her. She's like a representation of the Disney princesses.
I have to disagree with you there.

I Finally saw the film recently and I must say I wasn't that impressed. The animated sequence almost made me feel sick. It (and the character of Giselle in general) felt like a representation of how the classic Disney animated films look and feel like to a person who hates them. It was pink. It was cute. It was naive. It was all sugar and syrup. It was discusting. To a devoted fan like myself, it felt nothing like Sleeping Beauty or Snow White. It felt like an annoying, forced parody.

The live action part was more tolerable. There were some funny moments and it was fun to catch all the Disney references - but that's all they were; references to previous films ad pointless in relation to the story of this film.

I thought it was an OK comedy film you can watch a couple of times and have a few moderate laughs, but nothing more. I give Enchanted 2 stars out of 5.
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition

Post by Ariel'sprince »

What? i disgree,Billy Moon,the film wasn't making fun of Disney,it was a tributh.
It felt very like Sleeping Beauty and The Little Mermaid and i don't understand what's worng about it and Giselle's was like all the Princesses,not a parody.
Besides-why Disney whould make fun of themselfs and their films and make a bad image on them? it's silly,they whouldn't do that.
Kossage
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Kossage »

Well, I finally managed to see the film, and surprisingly enough it turned out better than I expected.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS AHEAD!*

So, let's start with the opening. The whole narration/storybook aspect as well as the classic font and the zooming into the castle surprised me in a positive way. It was earnest and reminded me of the Disney classics from the past. The animated portion looked better in motion than in the stills. Although it processed quite quickly, I nevertheless enjoyed its humour and over-the-top romance. By the time Edward rode his horse and sang a reprise of "True Love's Kiss", I was immersed into the film's world. All in all the animated characters looked alright, the backgrounds were quite detailed at times, almost ethereal if I might say, and some nice effects were used.

As the film moved into the real world, the film didn't lose its magic. The events that took place varied between dramatic and bittersweet to cheerful and naïve, and in general the mood of all the scenes invaded the movie theatre I was in, and everyone was having a good time. The comic stuff that happened between Edward, Nathaniel and Pip worked quite well, and Narissa was quite alright although I would've wanted a bit more screentime for her. I was amazed by the sheer emotional intensity of the ballroom sequence, and it turned out to be one of my favourite moments as things turn both bittersweet and dark for Giselle.

The dragon looked alright except for the eyes and the unaltered voice (I would've preferred a bit more demonic eyes and a booming voice, but I suppose it was deemed too scary for kids or something). Also, it appears that some portions of the final battle were cut due to some intense stuff, so I wouldn't mind seeing the uncut battle in its entirety, because the battle that was in the film was simply way too short.

I felt that the middle portion suffered from a lot of cut&paste stuff. It seemed as if a lot more scenes had been shot but had been left out of the film, because sometimes scenes were disjointed and advanced in too fast a pace (especially the finale). Thus some characters such as Nancy weren't given enough screentime although at least the characters worked well for the most part. Nevertheless, more character development and more danger should've been there, but then again this is a Disney romantic comedy, so I wasn't expecting anything like Citizen Kane as I watched the film. However, I do hope that some deleted scenes surface on the DVD, because the film suffered a bit from its disjointed nature.

Cinematography was neat in the way how various sets were used and how camera movements and positioning helped to set the mood for the film. It was also great to try to spot all the Disney references, and I really enjoyed noticing hints at future Disney films (Rapunzel and The Princess and the Frog). The actors were wonderful, but Amy Adams shone more than any other cast member in her sincerity and full grasp of how to portray a character like Giselle. Her positivity was the force that kept Enchanted going, and she never let go. Although praise has been given to other cast members, I feel Timothy Spall was wonderful as Nathaniel in the way how he combined comic stuff to "sweet hostility" and actually had quite a bit of character development.

However, the main thing I loved about Enchanted was the music. No, the score and the songs aren't Menken's best by any means, but they're certainly very good and work quite well in the film. The songs served their purpose, and I really liked how "True Love's Kiss" worked in the animated world. "Happy Working Song" was quite hilarious and very sweet, and "That's How You Know" was a good show number albeit a bit too disjointed at times.

"So Close" didn't sound that good on the OST at first, but when I saw it in the context where it was played, it became my favourite song from the film because of its emotional weight and bittersweet feel in the ballroom scene. "Ever Ever After" was the weakest song, but I think the blame is on Carrie Underwood's underachieving performance which hurt my ears. The melody of the song is alright (although I would've preferred a more classical approach instead of the pop style), and the lyrics were interesting.

As for the score, it was simply magnificent. As I've stated in the previous Enchanted thread, Menken uses a lot of themes and makes the leitmotivic approach work. Not only are there instrumental themes for the songs, but there are at least three distinctive themes that can only be heard in the score itself (e.g. Narissa's theme). Menken uses the orchestra well and makes the instruments play in sweet counterpoint, and the choral bits reach majesty which I haven't heard from him since the epic choral finale of Hercules.

The score has cheerful, sugary tunes for most of its duration, but some of the darker moments (whether they are sad or evil) bring some fresh air to the otherwise sugary feel of the score. Particularly the climactic "Storybook Ending" worked really well with its multitude of leitmotifs, and it also had one of the darkest action cues from Menken since The Hunchback of Notre Dame. The suite played during the credits was very sweet and clearly established all the themes, but in true Menken fashion the themes actually matured to their truest, full form in the suite (if you don't believe me, just go listen to the "So Close" bit from the suite where the orchestra swells and the choir sings in a triumphant yet romantic way, and you'll see how it mirrors the true love Giselle and Robert found at the end of the film).

*SPOILERS END*

So, although some of the scenes from Enchanted felt a bit forced (particularly some scenes with comedic stuff) and although much of it was maybe a bit too sweet for its own good, I nevertheless enjoyed the film and its way of looking at things in both an innocent as well as a tongue-in-cheek way. The film was certainly parodic to the highest degree, and yet I felt it was more of a tribute to Disney than an actual parody, because everything just 'clicked' and made sense in the film. If anything, it's the kind of film that is likely to make people smile, and although it maybe doesn't have as much substance as some of Disney's best animated classics, it's nevertheless a fine film for most people and definitely worth a watch at least once. :)

If I had to give the film a rating, I suppose it'd be close to 4- stars out of 5.
Some things you see with your eyes, others you see with your heart.
Poody
Anniversary Edition

Post by Poody »

I keep forgetting to as about this..... The way the opening animation is presented. I believe it's called an aspect ratio. All of the opening animation isn't as wide on the screen as the rest of the film, even the other animated parts are full wide screen.

My concern is..... how will they put that on DVD? :?