Encanto on Broadway?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Encanto on Broadway?

Post by Sotiris »

Lin-Manuel Miranda Teases Possible Encanto Broadway Adaptation
https://www.eonline.com/news/1319055/li ... adaptation
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Re: Encanto on Broadway?

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I assumed Moana would be the next Broadway show simply because it was Miranda's film with Disney. But since Encanto's music made more of a splash than Moana's did, I can imagine they would just pick Encanto instead now. This is more about helping Miranda get another Tony, and he probably thinks that would be more feasible with Encanto than Moana considering all the fanfare around "We Don't Talk About Bruno" and "Surface Pressure."

EDIT: But I was thinking of the pros of a Broadway adaptation. I think there is more potential for a couple of new songs with Encanto than with Moana. Alma, for example, could use her own song. But I'd love a song that Bruno and Mirabel sing together, since Mirabel was being treated the same way as Bruno, just early stages. And hopefully they get an actor for Mirabel who can sing equally as well as they can act for the Broadway version. It's no surprise the film's most popular songs don't feature Mirabel singing... :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I thought Covid pretty much killed Broadway?
Im surprised Disney's even considering a new show when even Frozen supposedly underperformed.

well Encanto is practically a first draft for a live show already. Along with Alma and Bruno, Dolores and Camilo could use numbers too. I wonder who Lin would like to cast as Bruno. Hmm... :P
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

^ Do you mean he'd cast himself? John Leguizamo? I don't know!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The “Encanto” directors said they were open to the possibility of a sequel, stage show or spinoff series. “I would love for there to be continuing stories of these characters because they’re real people to us,” Bush said. “Ninety minutes is not enough time to spend with the Madrigals.”
Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/13/movi ... bruno.html
Lin-Manuel Miranda wrote:I do think there's an appetite to further explore the Madrigal family, given how many characters there are, and how many gifts there are. And also where we leave the story. Now there is sort of this more fully realized version of themselves. Which way can we go? I think it's a question of when and not if, and what form that will take. Is that another movie? Is that a series? Is that a stage adaptation where we have a little more time, because stage shows are generally an hour longer than movies? And we haven't had conversations as to what form that will take, but I mean, yeah, I'd be down to continue to explore that. I love writing for Dolores and Camilo. I'd love to write more for them. I'd love to write more for Isabela. So I'm not sure what the next form of that will be, but we haven't had specific conversations about it's this or it's this.
Source: https://collider.com/encanto-2-movie-se ... l-miranda/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

They need to get to work on this ASAP. I mean, it was already a done deal, but with it having an Oscar, feels like there needs to be more urgency about hitting it while it's hot. The added benefit is a musical would keep Miranda busy and (God-willing) let somebody else do the music for WDAS' next films.

I really hope Olga Merediz plays Alma in the show, too, and they give her a big number!! I love her. I just got the In the Heights soundtrack the past couple of weeks (used, $6-ish), mostly because of her song--but also for "Breathe" and Anthony Ramos. As an aside, that song ("Paciencia y Fe") randomly makes me think of Anastasia for some reason. Perhaps the song is one of reminiscing (she even talks about December at one point) and deciding which way to go or the fact that her voice is incredibly expressive, much like Liz Callaway's.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"