DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:48 am 
Gold Classic Collection

I picked this up today, going to watch it in a few hours. I always enjoyed this movie and I figure this is as good as it gets for us since I highly doubt a Blu-Ray will come out anytime soon.

Great price on it too. I got it for 12.99 from Wal-Mart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:16 am 
Platinum Edition

Judging by what I see of the film on YouTube, I will admit that this is probably the only "special edition" re-release that has ever gotten a spectacular restoration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:43 am 
Limited Issue

I'd never seen this film before, but I reckon that the DVD looks fantastic. A bit of a shame about the lack of features though. It seems to me, upon reading up on it, that Disney has always treated this film like dirt yet as an above poster has said, could make tons of money from it if they tried, especially if they restored the cut footage. O well........the film was good anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:01 pm 
Platinum Edition

King Louis 2010 wrote:
Disney has always treated this film like dirt yet as an above poster has said, could make tons of money from it if they tried, especially if they restored the cut footage.

They really wouldn't make "tons" of money. There'd be several other people like us who would have bought it if they had included the deleted bits, but is the average person more likely to plop down $20 on this because there's a scene of some guy melting? Not likely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:18 am 
Platinum Edition

I got the DVD yesterday at my local Target, and in terms of restoration, this movie's visual restoration puts the other so-called "special editions" to shame. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:39 pm 

I'm pretty annoyed that there is no slipcover. I complained to Disney about it through contactus@Disneystudiohelp.com

They should set up a website where you can order a slipcover. When all my other Disney DVD's have one, this really makes it stand out like a sore thumb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:24 pm 
Signature Collection

I still have yet to get this. Is the Wal-Mart price still $13? It seems pretty cheap, which is good for the price but it is also kind of cheap in the bonus features area (could've been much better from what I've read). Hopefully I'll be able to pick this up soon. I've only seen the film once and I don't really remember it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:33 pm 
Ultimate Collector's Edition

T-SoD wrote:
Is the Wal-Mart price still $13?

My Wal-Mart didn't even bother stocking it. No matter, I found out that all this month, it'll be on sale for $10.99 at Best Buy, and comes with a free Halloween bag. Going to pick it up tomorrow after class.

albert

WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:35 pm 
Signature Collection

Escapay wrote:
T-SoD wrote:
Is the Wal-Mart price still $13?

My Wal-Mart didn't even bother stocking it. No matter, I found out that all this month, it'll be on sale for $10.99 at Best Buy, and comes with a free Halloween bag. Going to pick it up tomorrow after class.

albert

Oh, really? Maybe I better stop by Best Buy when I go home next weekend... Thanks for the info, Al!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:49 pm 

No problem, T-SoD.

All this talk about Black Cauldron makes me want to revisit my old jokey idea of the Ten-Disc edition. :P

albert

WIST #60:

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:05 pm 
Signature Collection

Escapay wrote:
No problem, T-SoD.

All this talk about Black Cauldron makes me want to revisit my old jokey idea of the Ten-Disc edition. :P

albert

Haha! I think I made a five-disc set or a seven-disc set (I don't really remember). Plus, I don't even know how I made it considering I'd only ever seen the film once. Those were the good times, weren't they? Well, before at that drama and the copying of other people's ideas/organization of bonus features/bonus features in general. Maybe we should revisit that thread. I'm sure with Tron: Legacy coming out soon you could even re-re-revise your Tron multi-disc set! I remember that Hunchback was my first ever Ultimate Disney DVD and it was terrible! That brings back memories. Well, I went off on a tangent, didn't I? Back to your regularly scheduled discussion of The Black Cauldron: 25th Anniversary Edition DVD!

But, surriously, we should totally revive that thread. I don't even remember the last time I posted in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:09 pm 

T-SoD wrote:
Escapay wrote:

Haha! I think I made a five-disc set or a seven-disc set (I don't really remember). Plus, I don't even know how I made it considering I'd only ever seen the film once. Those were the good times, weren't they? Well, before at that drama and the copying of other people's ideas/organization of bonus features/bonus features in general.

They were indeed. I remember you even got excited when the Sleeping Beauty Platinum Edition press release came out, and one of the bonus features sounded similar to something you wrote for your own version! :lol:

T-SoD wrote:
Maybe we should revisit that thread. I'm sure with Tron: Legacy coming out soon you could even re-re-revise your Tron multi-disc set!

I wouldn't mind revisiting it again. Haven't contributed an Ultimate idea for it in years. Both the Disney and the non-Disney ones have become shells of their former selves, though.

I never did an Ultimate for Tron, but I did do one for The Black Hole! The current Tron DVD is perfect as-is, I can't imagine anything new they could add. (Though of course, now that I say that, Disney will likely knock my socks off when they release Tron to Blu-Ray with something new and Blu)

T-SoD wrote:
Well, I went off on a tangent, didn't I? Back to your regularly scheduled discussion of The Black Cauldron: 25th Anniversary Edition DVD!

Lol, yes.

albert

WIST #60:

WIST #61:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:14 pm 
Signature Collection

Oh, yes, how could I forget The Black Hole? I definitely should have remembered that one (which was your first I believe). Yes, come to think of it, I don't ever remember you creating a Tron Ultimate DVD...

Oh, look at me! I'm off on the same tangent, again! I need to stop doing that.

Aaaaaaaaaanyway, I hope to pick up The Black Cauldron some time during October.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:03 am 
Limited Issue

Is this the same restoration of the Black Cauldron that was used on the 16:9 anamorphic DVD that came out in France a few years ago?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:37 am 
Special Edition

I still haven't picked up my copy yet but I'm hoping to very soon. Disney has really been picking my pockets dry lately. It's not hard to keep up with all the latest releases, it's just hard to buy all of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:54 am 
Collector's Edition

Best Buy had this for $10 as of last night but I didn't get it because I figure it will be on Bluray at some point. What say you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:33 pm 
Signature Collection

^dont hold your breath. seriously, Disney's not gonna make blu-rays for their barely-advertised obscure films. At least, not until the production costs are lowered.

Anyway, I think it's safe to remove the question mark from the topic title now. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:08 pm 
Anniversary Edition

ajmrowland wrote:
^dont hold your breath. seriously, Disney's not gonna make blu-rays for their barely-advertised obscure films. At least, not until the production costs are lowered.

Anyway, I think it's safe to remove the question mark from the topic title now. :P

How is The Black Cauldron obscure? Bad Boy Bubby, that's an obscure title, and got a decent Blu-ray release, along with some worthwile supplements as well. But Disney would rather continue to re-release the dozen titles they think the public knows, rather than put some effort into creating a great special edition for the fans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:10 pm 
Signature Collection

^It's more obscure than, say, the dozen rereleased titles that the average moviegoer and not hardcore Disney fan always hears about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:37 pm 
Anniversary Edition

ajmrowland wrote:
^It's more obscure than, say, the dozen rereleased titles that the average moviegoer and not hardcore Disney fan always hears about.

Well, you're right about that. But what does Disney do about that? Do they try to combat it, release a well deserved SE? No, they just announce one, and then water it down until the only worthwhile thing about it is the fact that it's anamorphic. They only have 49 Classics. They're called 'Classics' for a reason. There's absolutely no excuse for Disney to treat any of them badly. They surely have the resources to make a stacked special edition for each of their Classics. The reason they don't is probably because it either sells anyway, or it wouldn't make as much as a profit as other titles do. Either way, I think it's sad. Disney used to produce so much great DVDs, like the many 2-disc sets their Classics have, and the Walt Disney Treasures. You would think that with Blu-ray around, they'd at least release the titles on the same formats, at the same time. Why they don't is beyond me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next