The Black Cauldron special edition?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Re: The Black Cauldron special edition?

Post by DC Fan »

Sicoe:

I´d suggest you get the DVD first. Just in case.

Question:

Does this mean that movie will eventually be sold as BD or we´ll have to wait until the live action?
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Cause it would be easier to get than the Blu-ray (seeing that it's an exclusive to the Movie Club), and if I do enjoy it, there's the HD version on Disney+?
bean:therio
Gold Classic Collection

Post by bean:therio »

I love this movie but if you live in Europe, haven't seen the movie before and have to import the blu-ray from the US I wouldn't recommend getting it. It is always going be expensive.

The DVD is relatively easy to get in most European countries and in some there is the option to watch it on Disney+. For a first time viewer these seem like better options.
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Thanks for your suggestions, guys. I think I will just wait for Disney+ to be available in Romania, and I will just watch it there. :D
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

I suggested the DVD because the movie is very flawed. And I don´t think if it would be worth it for you to get it on BD beofre you watch it. While on DVD you can get it for 10 euros or less and give it a try.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

The DMC just sent out an email announcing the release of Black Cauldron and Valiant with text saying, “Stay tuned— more are on their way!” So fingers crossed Make Mine Music and Melody Time will make their BD debuts very soon!

Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

I really hope they fix the transfer for 'The Sword in the Stone'.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Whenever Melody Time / Make Mine Music come, I hope they move on to a proper restoration of TSITS as well as finishing TV series like Gummi Bears, if not ones they haven't touched like TLM, Aladdin, Hercules, New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Bonkers, etc. Maybe re-release the Disney Treasures on Blu-ray? These are all things that to me sound tailor-made for a niche fan-club like DMC, things that wouldn't really merit wide release.

The thing about their TV series releases that I never understood is why they never just made one-time jumbo sets with all the episodes of a series (at a higher price of course) so that everything's done in one go rather than this weird multi-volumes strategy they've always went with which rarely reach completion because "low sales." They should know by now that casuals and mom shoppers aren't interested in picking up some random $10 DVD at Walmart of most of those old shows, only fans.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

UmbrellaFish wrote:The DMC just sent out an email announcing the release of Black Cauldron and Valiant with text saying, “Stay tuned— more are on their way!” So fingers crossed Make Mine Music and Melody Time will make their BD debuts very soon!
That's very promising!
Old Fish Tale wrote:I really hope they fix the transfer for 'The Sword in the Stone'.
I hope so too. They owe it to the fans.
Disney's Divinity wrote:The thing about their TV series releases that I never understood is why they never just made one-time jumbo sets with all the episodes of a series (at a higher price of course) so that everything's done in one go rather than this weird multi-volumes strategy they've always went with which rarely reach completion because "low sales." They should know by now that casuals and mom shoppers aren't interested in picking up some random $10 DVD at Walmart of most of those old shows, only fans.
Yes, exactly. Why didn't they do that?
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

You guys-- a GREAT making-of video was just posted to YouTube by Yesterworld!!

"Yesterworld: The Troubled History of The Black Cauldron & The Lost Cut Scenes (Revealed)"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIuK4OZ ... e=youtu.be

I'm only halfway through it, and the info isn't new so far, but even just seeing the concept art on the TV is BEAUTIFUL!

*EDIT* YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The last part of the video has ACTUAL STORYBOARDS from the film, with things that did not make the film! This is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still have a few minutes left to watch...
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^Thanks for posting! I'll watch it.
Disney's Divinity

I've been planning to watch that video you posted blackcauldron85 (and another from another thread). I still will, I never forget, but I haven't got to it yet.

I watched The Black Cauldron Blu-ray a couple of days ago and, just, WOW~! It was so much more impressive than my Fantasia Blu-ray. I think that's only because Fantasia has been taken care of over the years, so even though it was an upgrade from my DVD, it never looked so bad. TBC, on the other hand, never received this kind of care and the jump in quality is enormous. In one of the bonus features (the deleted scene), the way the film looked prior to this restoration looked almost like a TV show. I had just watched a few episodes of Gummi Bears before the film came in the mail--since I mentioned Gummi Bears on here one day, I got a desire to watch it :P --and I was already thinking how similar the aesthetic of that show is to TBC. Something about the colors and designs. The princess and the human protagonist remind me a great deal of Eilonwy and Taran.

But, yeah, TBC looks amazing on Blu-ray. I've always liked this film although it feels distinctly different from other Disney films--it has the feel almost of a JRPG. Plus, to me, you can't help but see this film as a critical stepping stone to The Little Mermaid. The witches here are so similar to Ursula, only they were combined all into one character with her. Orwen's lustiness and figure, the others' ugliness, Orgoch's desire to transform and consume people, Orddu's laugh and trickster nature--Taran having to give up what is most precious to him to get what he wants (Ariel and her voice), the competing yonic and phallic symbols. I wonder if Taran's hair being red, even if a little bit more orange than Ariel's, may have played a role in the choice for that character's hair color?
blackcauldron85

While I would *think* that they did NOT use TBC as a blueprint for anything in TLM, lol, because so many people that worked on it didn't think highly of the experience, you definitely bring up good points, good similarities. Both films are my absolute most favorites (+ Aladdin) and I didn't ever think about the themes being the same, but I mean, you are not wrong! TBC is such a good-looking film, so I'm glad that Disney cared enough to take care of it!
Disney's Divinity

Yes, I understand what you mean. What I was thinking is that maybe they took things they learned from making that film--since most of them were so new--on into their future experiences. I think the witches are the part of the film that "works" the most, and Taran has the best design of the characters to me. *shrug*
blackcauldron85

Oh yeah, I agree with you 100%. It surely was a learning experience for them.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Divinity, I really don't think they looked at The Black Caulron when making The Little Mermaid, but you did a really good job finding similarities, so who knows!
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Well, I finally watched it. I liked the art style, the animation, the score and the way the characters were drawn, but I totally understand why it's so rarely mentioned in the Disney canon. To me, it was pretty forgettable. And it's pretty disturbing...I mean, the Horned King is super freaky, and so is the whole feel of the movie. If I'll ever add it to my collection, it will definitely be on DVD.
blackcauldron85

I'm glad that you finally saw it and found things to appreciate!! It is definitely a "darker" film...
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

The Horned King and Amalthea are my dream ship :up:
blackcauldron85

(Welcome back!!!) I had to Google Amalthea...do you mean the goat version, or the goat-keeping nymph version?!