Brother Bear DVD Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Paka
Anniversary Edition

Post by Paka »

"Very critical" review? Um, the guy didn't really like it, but he's understanding and apologetic about it. He explains his reasons coherently, and concludes with, "...different strokes to different folks." Doesn't sound harsh to me. Oy, so are we now gonna single out every slightly negative DVD review and stone them in the streets? Please. :lol:

Brother Bear didn't do much for me. Like some of the other recent animated Disney films, I think it's kind of forgettable, really. I don't blame the artists, though - they've taken enough punishment as it is, being out of a job now and everything. :evil: Like Atlantis and Treasure Planet - Brother Bear's real potential was ruined by too much executive tinkering and interference. I think if the artists in Orlando were left well enough alone during production, they could have turned out a real gem - possibly with more of the original King Lear angle, which I found an interesting concept.

I'll be getting the DVD, but it's more for completist's sake with the Disney full-length feature animation line than anything else. It's the only exception I make when it comes to my DVDs - usually I only buy titles I know will be watched several times over. But whatever. 'Tis the curse of being a Di$ney whore, I suppose. :wink:
Life often leaves us standing bare, naked and dejected with a lost opportunity. Over the bleached bones and jumbled residues of numerous civilizations are written the pathetic words: "Too late."

~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Jens
Special Edition

Post by Jens »

I agree with you that this review was pretty constructive but there is always something like stating your opinion against it. Nothing is wrong with just disagreeing with a review, even if it is VERY constructive. I have seen a lot of reviews, and all just have a negative side that is mainly about Disney not doing well the latest years. Of course they would pick out Brother Bear as their next victim :roll: I really didn't see anything wrong with this movie except for some plotholes, but isn't your opinion always personal? I see everyone and everything as seperate things, everyone has their own opinion and you can do 2 things. Agree with them or not agree with them. In this case, I don't agree :)
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

I can't wait to get Brother Bear just one more week!
I really love that movie because it has a good plot and great music by Phil Collins.
It's a must buy for all Disney fans.
Come on save 2-D animation.
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
Mermaid Kelly
Anniversary Edition

Post by Mermaid Kelly »

Yay!!! I got a shipment conformation email from Disneystore.com saying that my Brother Bear dvd, lithos, plush moose, and pin have all been shipped!!!! :D
Image Image
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

It seems "Brother Bear" turned out to be a huge money-maker for Disney. According to a poster from Home Theater Forum, it was April's biggest seller, selling more than 51.1 milion copies. :o

I'm sure a success as big as this deserved a better DVD release than what it got (picture quality, I mean)... And a few more 'serious' extras wouldn't hurt either.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Well at least that saved it from being called a flop. Too bad that same success wasn't there in the theaters, but I'm glad to see it got the $ somewhere. One less bullet for the Disney bashers. The only message it'll send to Eisner, though, is that theaters need CGI and traditional animation is only suited for DTV. :roll:

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
DreamerQ18
Anniversary Edition

Post by DreamerQ18 »

awallaceunc wrote:Well at least that saved it from being called a flop. Too bad that same success wasn't there in the theaters, but I'm glad to see it got the $ somewhere. One less bullet for the Disney bashers. The only message it'll send to Eisner, though, is that theaters need CGI and traditional animation is only suited for DTV. :roll:

-Aaron
Yeah I was thinking the same thing I wish this would have shown in movie theaters howvere there is a catch a difference I mean from this movie and DTV and thats quality so technically he should be working just as hard. Music and animation.

On Another Note : GO BROTHER BEAR :D :D :D * I love Koda*
DisneyQuack
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyQuack »

I haven't seen this Disney Film yet....Is it worth getting the DVD that's out? Or is it better to wait for another to come along?

MQ
stitch79

Post by stitch79 »

I thought the best part of the dvd was the Rutt & Tuke commentary. :D
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

DisneyQuack Wrote
I haven't seen this Disney Film yet....Is it worth getting the DVD that's out? Or is it better to wait for another to come along?

MQ
Yes, get Brother Bear it's worth it.
I saw it at the threater and on DVD and like it very much!!! :D
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
DreamerQ18
Anniversary Edition

Post by DreamerQ18 »

DisneyQuack wrote:I haven't seen this Disney Film yet....Is it worth getting the DVD that's out? Or is it better to wait for another to come along?

MQ
Saw this movie in theaters and bought it the first day it came out in my eyes it is an instant classic and think it is worth the money :) defintley buy it.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

It's not a bad movie. In fact, I enjoyed it, but it doesn't stand out as great, imo. A lot of people speculate that BB will see a new DVD release in the near future, but I just don't see it. Well, I didn't see it. With these new sales numbers, it's possible. But would people really re-buy it? I don't think so.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

DisneyQuack wrote:I haven't seen this Disney Film yet....Is it worth getting the DVD that's out? Or is it better to wait for another to come along?

MQ
It's pretty safe to say that the DVD is the best we'll get for Brother Bear on this format.

I think it's a very good movie, and worth getting even if you don't collect all the Disney animated classics. Sure it's got weaknesses, but they're overshadowed by the positives.
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
xxhplinkxx
Collector's Edition

Post by xxhplinkxx »

Ladies and Gentlemen, friends and acquaintances of UD, I have a confession to make...

I have never seen Brother Bear. :oops:

Am I missing much?

"Hip hop frightens you, doesn't it....Hmmm...Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate. Hate leads to endlessly posting threads about stupid white people. Hmmmmm....."

I love Siren!
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

xxhplinkxx wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen, friends and acquaintances of UD, I have a confession to make...

Am I missing much?
Me too.. :oops:

So you're not alone in that! :lol:
a-net-fan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by a-net-fan »

supertalies wrote:
xxhplinkxx wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen, friends and acquaintances of UD, I have a confession to make...

Am I missing much?
Me too.. :oops:

So you're not alone in that! :lol:
ME EITHER! Brother Bear, Lelo and Stitch and Home on the Range are the Disney animated movies I have never seen. Maybe someday if I find a copy for a steal of a deal....
JUST ANOTHER 27 YEAR OLD DISNEY BUFF.....
xxhplinkxx
Collector's Edition

Post by xxhplinkxx »

a-net-fan wrote:ME EITHER! Brother Bear, Lelo and Stitch and Home on the Range are the Disney animated movies I have never seen. Maybe someday if I find a copy for a steal of a deal....

I've definitely seen Lilo and Stich more times than I can count. As for Home on the Range, I've only seen bits and pieces of it, which is more than I can say about Brother Bear.

"Hip hop frightens you, doesn't it....Hmmm...Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate. Hate leads to endlessly posting threads about stupid white people. Hmmmmm....."

I love Siren!
Widdi
Anniversary Edition

Post by Widdi »

Am I missing much?
No.
gardener14
Special Edition

Post by gardener14 »

Am I missing much?
I LOVE Brother Bear and consider it a hidden gem among the last wave of 2d Disney animated films of its era. The music is fantastic, the scenery is gorgeous, and the story and characters have heart. You should definitely check it out. It's the first Disney movie that prompted me to buy the accompanying "Art of..." book, and I enjoy that as much as the movie itself.
Rudy Matt
Special Edition

Post by Rudy Matt »

Brother Bear isn't exactly awful, but the entire time you're watching it, you'll get a nagging feeling you've seen it all before, only better, in films like "The Lion King", "Pocahontas", "Tarzan" and "Bambi". The film seems mechanically assembled out of spare parts from other movies -- and like most of Eisner-era animated features, the tone is all over the map, from desperately unfunny comic relief to sudden brutal violence to supposed mystical whimsy. Unlike Eisner-era films, however, is the music, which is surprisingly bland and uninspired. Phil Collins penned the catchy tunes for Tarzan, but he is lacking inspiration here, and there isn't a memorable song in the bunch.

The best things about the film are the layout, backgrounds and art direction, which are all stunning. The film has impeccable production values, but like so many Eisner films, the film is doomed by its compromised, derivative screenplay. Its the hand-drawn equivalent of Dinosaur -- glorious visuals and woefully pedestrian writing.

So sure, see it. Just know going in its a lesser effort from the Mouse Houe in terms of story and dialog, and the best thing about the disc are the "outtakes" during the credits and the commentary track by "Bob and Doug" SCTV players Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas (who cheerfully roast the film -- sample dialog "See that? [The Shaman Woman] says to go to where the light touches the earth, but it looks more like where the light touches McDonalds.").
Last edited by Rudy Matt on Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.