Maleficent

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Billy Moon
Special Edition

Post by Billy Moon »

Disney's Divinity wrote:In movies like Disney's, there's gotta be a dark and creepy side.
Yes, but not in the way Super Aurora suggested. Killing babies in their christening party. Please.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Super Aurora wrote:I admit I did love that scene alot but one problem with it. If it was a curse, then Aurora should of been going to it on it's own. Fact that Malificant had to lure Aurora to a spinning wheel and even crate the spinning wheel defeat the purpose of the curse as an mystical force.
Very good point. But how do you know the exact effects of the curse? I don't think anyone in the audience did. So I think most people just accepted that she was going to have to find it. And you saw her, she was under a spell. The curse had her in a partially hyponotized state. It's not something Maleficent pulled out of her hat at the last minute. And it made a truly amazing visual sequence, her following the green sort-of orb up the stairs.

Super Aurora wrote:lol, the story seems to be all about the faries. Title should of been "The Three Little Fairies and the Big Bad Fairy"
True. Did you like the fairy characters?
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Maleficent

Post by Disney Duster »

Disneyfreak1990 wrote:you know what scene scared me the most with Male? the whole leading Aurora to the spindle because of the music, the lights going out and Male just appearing in the fireplace and dissappearing.
one thing that's always got me about her. how is she a fairy? she doesn
t have wings or a wand,though the staff could count, and she doesn't really have that fairy flare, not even the dark fairy flare. she seems more like a witch/enchantress than an evil fairy.
Well, I think there are some official Disney sources that say Maleficent is a fairy, but I know for sure in the original fairy tale it was an evil fairy at the christening party who cursed the princess.

As for no wings, the fairy godmother in Cinderella had no wings, but she was still a fairy.

And as for the fairy flare, I don't know exactly what you mean by that. Did you mean flare or flair? A flare is like a glow or burst of light, and flair is like a style. So do you mean she doesn't have fairy style? Well, she may look different from most fairies, but that's how she breaks stereotypes and is unique! Disney occasionally calls her a witch or scorceress, but that's because they are either being careless or they are using witch to just mean "any magical woman", because every fairy is still a magical woman (or guy, there are some guy fairies).
Super Aurora wrote:I admit I did love that scene alot but one problem with it. If it was a curse, then Aurora should of been going to it on it's own. Fact that Malificant had to lure Aurora to a spinning wheel and even crate the spinning wheel defeat the purpose of the curse as an mystical force.
A curse is a curse, a prophecy is a prophecy, regardless of how the prophecy is fulfilled. If the curse was placed on her by magic, what's so contradicting if magic also fulfills the curse?
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Billy Moon wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:In movies like Disney's, there's gotta be a dark and creepy side.
Yes, but not in the way Super Aurora suggested. Killing babies in their christening party. Please.
Oh, yeah. That is a little extreme...
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disneyfreak1990
Special Edition

Re: Maleficent

Post by Disneyfreak1990 »

Disney Duster wrote:
Disneyfreak1990 wrote:you know what scene scared me the most with Male? the whole leading Aurora to the spindle because of the music, the lights going out and Male just appearing in the fireplace and dissappearing.
one thing that's always got me about her. how is she a fairy? she doesn
t have wings or a wand,though the staff could count, and she doesn't really have that fairy flare, not even the dark fairy flare. she seems more like a witch/enchantress than an evil fairy.
Well, I think there are some official Disney sources that say Maleficent is a fairy, but I know for sure in the original fairy tale it was an evil fairy at the christening party who cursed the princess.

As for no wings, the fairy godmother in Cinderella had no wings, but she was still a fairy.

And as for the fairy flare, I don't know exactly what you mean by that. Did you mean flare or flair? A flare is like a glow or burst of light, and flair is like a style. So do you mean she doesn't have fairy style? Well, she may look different from most fairies, but that's how she breaks stereotypes and is unique! Disney occasionally calls her a witch or scorceress, but that's because they are either being careless or they are using witch to just mean "any magical woman", because every fairy is still a magical woman (or guy, there are some guy fairies).
thanks for explaining Disney Duster. and i did mean Flair but i wasn't really thinking of the word at the time. and i didn't think of Fairy Godmother for the wing thing since i was only thinking of The Three Fairies, the Blue Fairy, and Cosmo and Wanda from Fairly Oddparents.
members i like:Jasmine1022, Lazario(when he's in a good mood), Escapy, Prudence, Blackcauldron85, Anthony, and Mason Ireton.
Members i dislike: Lazario(when he's in a bad mood).
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Lazario wrote:
Super Aurora wrote:lol, the story seems to be all about the faries. Title should of been "The Three Little Fairies and the Big Bad Fairy"
True. Did you like the fairy characters?
Hell NO! those three little imps took away Aurora's screen time dammnit!
Disney Duster wrote:
A curse is a curse, a prophecy is a prophecy, regardless of how the prophecy is fulfilled. If the curse was placed on her by magic, what's so contradicting if magic also fulfills the curse?
Usually curse are done by scene of ocurence. The fact Mali had to lure her to do it make you wonder, why don't she just keep quit and do the same damn thing with out having to announce it to the public as a curse?
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Super Aurora wrote:
Hell NO! those three little imps took away Aurora's screen time dammnit!
I don't mind much. When I was younger, I usually fast-forwarded through her scenes.

:lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Super Aurora wrote:Usually curse are done by scene of ocurence. The fact Mali had to lure her to do it make you wonder, why don't she just keep quit and do the same damn thing with out having to announce it to the public as a curse?
Well, that may be how things are usually done, and maybe Disney's being different. It also makes you wonder, can a curse be unfulfilled? Can it be avoided? Were the fairies' plans futile from the start?

Anyway, the reason Maleficent announced it, as I said, was she is very evil, and it's more evil to have them raise their daughter and love her but all time in the back of their minds think, "She's not living past 16. She'll prick her finger and fall down dead."
Disney's Divinity wrote:I don't mind much. When I was younger, I usually fast-forwarded through her scenes.
I'm guessing because her in the forest was kind of...boring? I used to think as a child "Nothing's going on here! Just walking, singing, dancing, picking berries!" But now that I'm older, I actually LOVE all the scenes in the woods. Aurora's voice is gorgeous and I love the operatic qualities. The backgrounds are fantastic and perhaps this detailed forest is the most beautiful location in the film. And the animation, of course, is fantastic. I especially like the way Briar Rose's dress swirls.
Last edited by Disney Duster on Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Disneyfreak1990
Special Edition

Post by Disneyfreak1990 »

i've loved her scenes when i was little and still do. espesially her song. here's an alternate title, Aurora And The Four Fairies :lol:
members i like:Jasmine1022, Lazario(when he's in a good mood), Escapy, Prudence, Blackcauldron85, Anthony, and Mason Ireton.
Members i dislike: Lazario(when he's in a bad mood).
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Super Aurora wrote:
Lazario wrote: True. Did you like the fairy characters?
Hell NO! those three little imps took away Aurora's screen time dammit!
So you're saying... you're Super Aurora because of the Aurora character...in the fairy tale / story? But not Disney's movie? Or are you an Aurora fan because of the movie? The movie that didn't give her enough screen time...

I liked them. I don't know how much they had to do with the story, but I don't watch Disney to see what kind of adaptation they give to these stories. I don't care what they take from, it's what they give that matters to me. I don't think anyone took away from anyone else's screen time. I figure this is the way it was fated to be.

Super Aurora wrote:Usually curse are done by scene of ocurence. The fact Mali had to lure her to do it make you wonder, why don't she just keep quit and do the same damn thing with out having to announce it to the public as a curse?
I'm not sure I understood everything you just said / asked... but I think you may be reading more into what Disney did than they intended you to. And that will always detract you away from the movie.

Not that I don't do it myself, obviously, with films like Lion King, Fox and the Hound, and Bambi. :D The fantasy / fairy tale / magic powers, castles, Kings and Queens story just appeals to me more than the natural-life hardships, survival of the fittest, circle of life, so-and-so's pregnant and isn't it a miracle, my son will grow up and be dominant...
Billy Moon
Special Edition

Post by Billy Moon »

Curses aren't "usually" anything, because they don't exist. Thus they can work differently in different kind of fictional stories, IMO.
As for the public announcement, it makes a great dramatic scene. Maleficent (and the whole film, for that matter) like to get a bit dramatic at times. And there's nothing wrong with that. :)

I'd say you simply read too much fantasy fiction and take it too seriously.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Lazario wrote:
Super Aurora wrote: Hell NO! those three little imps took away Aurora's screen time dammit!
So you're saying... you're Super Aurora because of the Aurora character...in the fairy tale / story? But not Disney's movie? Or are you an Aurora fan because of the movie? The movie that didn't give her enough screen time...
I became a fan due to Disney verison. I know her development sucked in the movie and hardly had many speaking line, But like her for her cute design. The three little imps did most of the talking and took most of the screen time in the movie in the movie. Technically the faries were the one who kill Malificant instead of Phillip. When watching the movie that what I saw for first time. The three little faries vs big bad fairy.
Lazario wrote:I liked them. I don't know how much they had to do with the story, but I don't watch Disney to see what kind of adaptation they give to these stories. I don't care what they take from, it's what they give that matters to me. I don't think anyone took away from anyone else's screen time. I figure this is the way it was fated to be.
I'm not talking about how well they did from the adaption, but how well they did with the movie as a whole.

Lazario wrote:I'm not sure I understood everything you just said / asked... but I think you may be reading more into what Disney did than they intended you to. And that will always detract you away from the movie..
Again you said you do too with other Disney mvoies. Part of the fun you can do with anyentertainment media is the fact to watch/read story into couple different ways.

like watch it like really fun movie with nothing in your mind to it. I do that alot.

Then you can watch it or rewatch the movie to exammine more indepth and possible tthemes, symbols, flaws, merits, pros, cons, etc. With this, your now seeing the movie as closer understand the movie better. Critic do it all time, and I do it to help myself when I become a comic artist and create my comic so I learn aspect and different type of stories produced or what's good or what's bad to have.

It's all part of an experience that make you more involved.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Super Aurora wrote:The three little faries vs big bad fairy.
See- I don't like that. I think it belittles how good the movie is.

Super Aurora wrote:I'm not talking about how well they did from the adaption, but how well they did with the movie as a whole.
Really? Because this whole time it sounds like you've been describing a different movie.

Super Aurora wrote:Again you said you do too with other Disney mvoies. Part of the fun you can do with any entertainment media is the fact to watch/read story into couple different ways.

like watch it like really fun movie with nothing in your mind to it. I do that alot.

Then you can watch it or rewatch the movie to examine more indepth and possible tthemes, symbols, flaws, merits, pros, cons, etc. With this, your now seeing the movie as closer understand the movie better. Critic do it all time, and I do it to help myself when I become a comic artist and create my comic so I learn aspect and different type of stories produced or what's good or what's bad to have.

It's all part of an experience that make you more involved.
Yes, but for most of us, our Disney movie-watching experience is so tightly tied into who we were as children and what we wanted to see - I think you really can watch many of their animated movies and just appreciate it based on how it made the child inside you happy.

On that level, for me, there are truly no serious weaknesses to be found anywhere in Sleeping Beauty. At all.
Disney Villain
Special Edition

Post by Disney Villain »

Quite the little dicussion we have going on here, royalty, nobility, and oh even the rebel. I've felt quite distressed not being able to post in this thread. It was due to an oversite I'm sure. And to show I bare no ill will, I too have a thought to share.....

As you can tell I am a huge Maleficent fan. I've always thought that she had unresolved problems. Like there was more to her than what we saw in the film. She obviously had a relationship with the Royals and 3 good fairies prior to Aurora's christening. I would just love to know what went wrong. How did she become evil? Why was she so upset that she was not invited to a party? There was obviously allot more to her curse. I doubt she cursed Aurora just because she was not invited to a party. There had to be more to the story. And that's what makes her so evil. The fact that you don't know her story she's just there in a mysterious way lurking and plotting.
Billy Moon
Special Edition

Post by Billy Moon »

Disney Villain wrote:Quite the little dicussion we have going on here, royalty, nobility, and oh even the rebel.
You don't mean rabble, do you?
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

I always wondered that myself. Well... not always. But often. Well...

Now people, don't let other members here talk you into asking more questions than perhaps need to be asked about this character. Do you still really enjoy the movie? Isn't that what matters?

If nothing else, Maleficent's excellence was all in her way, her style, her presence. And that's something that can't be taken away.
Disney Villain
Special Edition

Post by Disney Villain »

Billy Moon wrote:
Disney Villain wrote:Quite the little dicussion we have going on here, royalty, nobility, and oh even the rebel.
You don't mean rabble, do you?
Yes I did lol. Sorry, it was late, I just finished doing my Enchanted Tales website, and I was tired. Which is also the reason for such a lackluster post on my part.
SpellWovenNight
Limited Issue

Post by SpellWovenNight »

Maleficent is my favorite Disney villian and not just because what made her mad and go curse a baby. She's such a picture perfect villian from her appearance to her power. I think its the appearance that is so key for a villian though. I mean they all have power, and htey've all been defeated, appearance is the one thing that stands out.

I think Maleficent was an evil fairy, the only other thing for her to be, looking back on Disney, is a witch, but because its set in Sleepy Beauty's world its more key for her to be a evil fairy and then that's what she's been in past stories.

I think the reason she announced the curse in front of the entire kingdom is fear, it makes more people fear her and give a uprise to what had happened, and creats a mess. If it wasn't made public in the first place the King and Queen would have probably tried to solve in privatly and the entire kingdom probably wouldn't have known all that was going on.
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition
Location: beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment

Post by Ariel'sprince »

She's my favorite Disney villain :D.
I was thinking-I saw in YouTube a show in DisneyLand called Dream Along With Mickey,it's pretty,and she said that her powers grows from nightmare,maybe that's why she cursed Aurora? she tried to blow up her parent's dream? and Aurora's own dreams?.
Disney Villain
Special Edition

Post by Disney Villain »

Ariel'sprince wrote:She's my favorite Disney villain :D.
I was thinking-I saw in YouTube a show in DisneyLand called Dream Along With Mickey,it's pretty,and she said that her powers grows from nightmare,maybe that's why she cursed Aurora? she tried to blow up her parent's dream? and Aurora's own dreams?.
Although it’s a good theory, you have to remember how the Disney Parks operate. First of all Dream Along With Mickey is only at the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida, not Disneyland. I have seen Dream Along With Mickey, in person probably over 50 times. I’ve also seen the other two previous castle stage shows, Cinderellabration and Cinderella’s Surprise Celebration. These types of shows are known as “Castle Stage Shows”. Every few years Disney will produce a new show, based on the current status of the park.

Right now the Walt Disney World Resort is in the middle of a huge marketing campaign, The Year of A Million Dreams. In October 2006, Dream Along With Mickey premiered. I was fortunate enough to be there for the first public production. The show was created for the sole purpose of The Year of A Million Dreams. Disney took the parks two most popular franchises; Pirates and Princesses, and threw them into a new stage show. The only reason Maleficent says, “starting today this kingdom will change to the place where nightmares come true!” , is to play against the theme parks slogan “the place where dreams come true”. You have to remember that if it’s in the parks, then it’s only for the parks. Hope that made some sense.

Also, in the show, Maleficent never says that her powers grow from nightmares. I think you may have misheard.