Alice in Wonderland (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
UncleEd
Banned

Post by UncleEd »

I always wanted to see a Tim Burton OZ film and it almost happened a few years ago. If you look at the original books OZ is far more Burton like than Alice.
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

Wow! This is really exciting news. I've never been a huge fan of Alice in Wonderland, but I think it is really interesting to hear that Tim Burton will be teaming up with Disney for a re-make. It should certainly be interesting to say the least.
Signature courtesy of blackcauldron85!!
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition
Location: beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment

Re: Tim Burton to Direct 3D Alice in Wonderland for Disney

Post by Ariel'sprince »

It's the dark version of Alice or a version of the original book?.
MagicMirror
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MagicMirror »

Hopefully, it's based on the (still rather dark in places) original book rather than the (dark for the sake of dark) American McGee version.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Disney's movie pipeline for the next 5 years is officially out of this world.

Alice is the one to watch out for. I consider the original Walt Disney version to be the weakest of the classic Disney flicks. This could be the definitive Alice in Wonderland.
purin
Gold Classic Collection

Post by purin »

Oooh! If there's anybody who can do a dark, twisted take on bizarre adventures and people, it's Tim Burton!
The "motion capture" part makes me a little nervous, but I'm sure he has the eye to make sure it's used well.
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition

Post by Ariel'sprince »

MagicMirror wrote:Hopefully, it's based on the (still rather dark in places) original book rather than the (dark for the sake of dark) American McGee version.
It will be nice if it will,maybe some like Charlie And The Chocolate Factory.
The American McGee version makes me laught by only watch screenshots.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

purin wrote:Oooh! If there's anybody who can do a dark, twisted take on bizarre adventures and people, it's Tim Burton!
The "motion capture" part makes me a little nervous, but I'm sure he has the eye to make sure it's used well.
motion capture can be done well.

like Davy Jones.

but it can also result into lifeless stuff like Beowulf or the Polar Express.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Wonderlicious wrote:
MagicMirror wrote:I'm very disappointed, though, that performance capture will be used.
Yes, I agree with this fully. If Tim Burton were to use stop-motion or to make it completely as a live-action film, I would be fine. But the fact that motion-capture is being used is making me feel kinda hesitant about this film. I will still probably end up going to see it, though. :p
I also agree. The little bit of "The Polar Express" that I've seen visually didn't look the way it probably should have- it looked 'weird'.
PatrickvD wrote:motion capture can be done well.

like Davy Jones.
I don't feel like I'm watching motion capture when I see Davy Jones. If "Alice in Wonderland" will be like that, then the only issue I'd have with "Alice in Wonderland" is the fact that it'll be a remake (well, sort of). I've seen the "Beowulf" trailer, and I thought, "Why did they bother making this in motion capture- it looks pretty much like live action, so they could've saved a lot of money and make it in live-action".
Dottie
Collector's Edition

Post by Dottie »

Nice. I like both Alice in Wonderland and Burton. Are we gonna get Johnny Depp and fabulous Mrs Burto as the Cheshire Cat and the Queen of hearts?
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

Awesome news! :D :D :D Can't wait to see what he does with it! Yeah for Disney bringing Burton back! Guess they got tired of seeing him making all that money for other companies. :P
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

MagicMirror wrote:Hopefully, it's based on the (still rather dark in places) original book rather than the (dark for the sake of dark) American McGee version.
Honestly, I don't think McGee's Alice was dark for the sake of it; anyone who played the game could see that it explored the concept of Alice within the mind of a not-so-average child.
Ariel'sprince wrote: The American McGee version makes me laught by only watch screenshots.
Not all games are privileged enough to have "perfect" life-like graphics. I think story more than makes up for it.

About the new movie, I might see it eventually, but I'm not ecstatic. There've been far too many [not-so-good] film versions of the stories that I don't see the need for another.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
jeremy88
Anniversary Edition

Post by jeremy88 »

Well Im ecstatic about this!

But wait...is it going to be like a completely new Alice in Wonderland? Or is it going to be remake related to the classic Walt Disney version?? I'm contemplating whether or not that was a stupid question...answers could be "NO! WHY THE HECK WOULD THEY DO THAT?" or "OF COURSE ITS GOING TO BE RELATED TO THE CLASSIC!"

It says its based on the Lewis Carroll classic...but Walt Disney's is based on the classic too (well kind of in a jumbled mixed of the two stories) so I'm really not sure...

If it is completely new...I wouldn't want people to start saying "oh forget that old Alice...lets watch the new one!" and then my beloved classic soon gets forgotten...
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

jeremy88 wrote:But wait...is it going to be like a completely new Alice in Wonderland? Or is it going to be remake related to the classic Walt Disney version??
It's a completely separate adaptation of the book, so things like the talking Doorknob or the Hatter and Hare celebrating their unbirthdays probably won't be in this film. It's possible that there may be some winks and nudges towards the animated film, but we really won't know for sure till we see photos. What I'm wondering is whether Linda Woolverton took the same approach that the animated film (and most other versions) did by combining Wonderland and Looking Glass. I'm hoping she didn't. I'd like to see Wonderland and Looking Glass as separate films. Hopefully if the first is successful, Burton will do a second. Then again, he didn't want to do Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator despite Chocolate Factory being a smash hit.

Re-reading the article, I find it curious how quickly Disney seems to be going forward with this after months of silence. It says production will begin early next year and end in May. That means they must be in pre-production right now coming up with designs and hiring the cast and crew. If production really wraps in May, does that mean the film will be released Christmas of 2008? That all seems awfully soon. I wasn't expecting it to come out till 2009, but I can't see the film having en eight-month-plus post-production schedule considering Alice isn't exactly an epic story. On the other hand, isn't Bolt (the next animated feature from Disney) coming in November of '08? I doubt Disney will want to release two family films so close together. I'll be keeping an eye out for an official release date announcement from Disney on this.
Skellington or Sparrow
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Skellington or Sparrow »

i could have sworn i once said i could imagine tim burton directing this film.
just the same, i find it a bit surprising. i don't know why.
it's good to see he's getting involved with disney again.

i'm sure it will likely be based more onto the book.
because i don't see tim burton doing a "remake."

i feel it will be in the spirit of burton's charlie and the chocolate factory.
i don't think it will be dark. or at least, not american mcgee-ish.
it will be light, but goofy.
any ideas when it will be released. think it will coinside with the animated version's platinum edition?
:ears: I heart Disneyland :ears:
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

I like Alice in Wonderland alot, so this is nice treat for me. Like Disney Kid said, Burton bound to do Alice. it fits his type of thing: goth, bizzare, loli, type.

I think they went with the CG like Beowulf because they want do something different. There been so many live action based movies on Alice so i's nice do something different for change.
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition

Post by Ariel'sprince »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Ariel'sprince wrote: The American McGee version makes me laught by only watch screenshots.
Not all games are privileged enough to have "perfect" life-like graphics. I think story more than makes up for it.
No,the grapich the is okay,i was talking about the fact that Alice,a cute little girl,is now an insane little murderer.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Ariel'sprince wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:Not all games are privileged enough to have "perfect" life-like graphics. I think story more than makes up for it.
No,the grapich the is okay,i was talking about the fact that Alice,a cute little girl,is now an insane little murderer.
Watching your parents burn alive and then subsequently being locked in an asylum by your aunt can do that to you. :wink:

Besides, it was only in her head and she was defending herself.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

:o Oh yeah! I'm am officially pumped for this! After such a long time of hearing rumors of an Alice remake, its great to finally get some real news And with Burton no less!

Here's to hoping he gives it his trademark dark-fairytale vibe.
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition

Post by Ariel'sprince »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Ariel'sprince wrote: No,the grapich the is okay,i was talking about the fact that Alice,a cute little girl,is now an insane little murderer.
Watching your parents burn alive and then subsequently being locked in an asylum by your aunt can do that to you. :wink:

Besides, it was only in her head and she was defending herself.
Well,i was talking from the book,altought she had her reason in the game.
Does she clean the knife from blood with her mouth? XDDDD.