DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1395 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 70  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:20 am 
Platinum Edition

D82 wrote:
The "Prince Ali" clip in English:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxd96_p47o0

The English version is oddly not as good as the German one. The German singer has a more powerful, booming voice whereas Will seems to be struggling a bit. He clearly doesn't have the vocal chops to pull off the songs as intended. It's still decent but not as satisfying.

By the way, "Prince Ali" is trending on Twitter and it's not because people are loving the clip. I hope this doesn't negatively affect the movie's box office numbers.

D82 wrote:

More scenes with the blue Genie? Considering how poorly he looks in his blue form, you'd think the filmmakers would have noticed that and tried to limit his appearances. They shouldn't have depicted him in his blue form beyond the scenes at the Cave of Wonders.

D82 wrote:

I like the image they used for the billboard. It's conceptually sound despite Jasmine looking a bit off. Her expression and pose are unflattering and she isn't facing the same way as Aladdin.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:32 pm 
Platinum Edition

New TV spot with lots of new footage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYBffkTfzLY

Original song for the Indian release of Aladdin titled "Sab Sahi Hai Bro" written and performed by Badshah.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_u3wwTeRUU

The English/Spanish version of "A Whole New World" for Latin America featuring Becky G.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HaESWljzP8

The English/Spanish version of "A Whole New World" for Spain featuring Aitana.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdv1Haxkixc

The Korean version "A Whole New World" for South Korea by John and Lena Park.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hciKh0pIJM

The music video for the Korean version "A Whole New World" by John and Lena Park.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zElaRL8LJ70

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:24 pm 
Platinum Edition

lord-of-sith wrote:
Pasek and Paul just can't help themselves writing generic lyrics that could apply to literally any character.

I thought it was just me who thought the lyrics were a little basic.... But, lbr, so are the lyrics to AWNW, too, pretty as it is. The vocals could lift "Speechless" a great deal, considering Naomi Scott sounds great on AWNW in all the advertisements.

UmbrellaFish wrote:
Exactly! Ugh... Pasek and Paul— they write powerful pop songs but good musical theatre it ain’t.

I agree. That's why the songs from The Greatest Showman sound much better on that re-imagined album they put out sung by pop stars than they ever did in film. That movie was like Mamma Mia except the songs weren't sung by somebody on the radio first. :lol:

David Archuleta ~ "OK, All Right"
Troye Sivan ~ "Take Yourself Home"

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:41 pm 
Platinum Edition

Cinemark poster.

Source: https://twitter.com/Cinemark/status/1128310246257119234

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:31 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Lol, the Prince Ali sequence is being dragged online and for good reason. A popular complaint (besides Will Smith's abysmal and monotone singing) is how the parade resembles one of Disney's at the parks or the Macy Thanksgiving Parade. It feels so small-scale and absolutely loses the frenetic nature and manic energy that Robin Williams injected into the original. Will Smith looks and sounds so bored or like he's struggling to get through every line. Really wish Disney favored talent over big names, especially since Will Smith doesn't even have the box office clout anymore that he used to. Too bad we couldn't have gotten James Monroe Iglehart or even a CGI version featuring Robin Williams' library of countless outtakes recorded for the original. If they wanted Will Smith, they should have dubbed his singing which would have helped a little.

Makes me worried about the full Friend Like Me sequence which probably will fare similarly to this.

"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:07 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

This does not loog good at all. Like, they kinda started to redeem themselves a bit after the first trailer, but this kinda puts it back into "skip the theatrical release" category for me.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:45 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Another snippet of "One Jump Ahead" in this new promo:
https://twitter.com/disneyaladdin/statu ... 1600403458

Domestic versions of the character posters:
https://twitter.com/disneyaladdin/statu ... 3829402631

Extended version of the clip with Aladdin and Jasmine at the ball:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ-oG-nS7sY

Another promo that was already posted but is now in better quality:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDi9F5NQtH4

And full Paris press event with Alan Menken at the piano:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6fDd-mMiC8

Sotiris wrote:
More scenes with the blue Genie? Considering how poorly he looks in his blue form, you'd think the filmmakers would have noticed that and tried to limit his appearances. They shouldn't have depicted him in his blue form beyond the scenes at the Cave of Wonders.

I agree, I was hoping his appearances in his blue form would be limited to the Cave of Wonders scenes and the third act when he has to obey Jafar.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:51 pm 
Gold Collection

JeanGreyForever wrote:
Lol, the Prince Ali sequence is being dragged online and for good reason. A popular complaint (besides Will Smith's abysmal and monotone singing) is how the parade resembles one of Disney's at the parks or the Macy Thanksgiving Parade. It feels so small-scale and absolutely loses the frenetic nature and manic energy that Robin Williams injected into the original. Will Smith looks and sounds so bored or like he's struggling to get through every line. Really wish Disney favored talent over big names, especially since Will Smith doesn't even have the box office clout anymore that he used to. Too bad we couldn't have gotten James Monroe Iglehart or even a CGI version featuring Robin Williams' library of countless outtakes recorded for the original. If they wanted Will Smith, they should have dubbed his singing which would have helped a little.

Makes me worried about the full Friend Like Me sequence which probably will fare similarly to this.

Yes, by this point in special effects things should reflect all of the possible magic. Including the parade scene. I would say I understand how you feel, but at least one big star helps to secure a film as a blockbuster movie, and not a small art-house film.

I'd say just wait and see how it will all go, but go in with a hopeful heart to seeing something new. Remember that it is a different adaptation, so it's open to a new interpretation. That is what I keep telling myself when it comes to classic myths like these.

Last edited by WarriorDreamer on Wed May 15, 2019 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:29 am 
Platinum Edition

[quote="Kyle"]This does not loog good at all. Like, they kinda started to redeem themselves a bit after the first trailer, but this kinda puts it back into "skip the theatrical release" category for me.[/quot]

Honestly, Prince Ali and other scenes from the trailer looks like it was made on a budget for Once Upon a Time than an actual theatrical release.

Actually....never mind based on watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee4FcdVTmMU

Looks a bit more cinematic than scenes I've watched in the trailers.

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:43 am 
Special Edition

Sotiris wrote:
The English version is oddly not as good as the German one. The German singer has a more powerful, booming voice whereas Will seems to be struggling a bit. He clearly doesn't have the vocal chops to pull off the songs as intended. It's still decent but not as satisfying.

Yeah I have to agree. I'm thinking part of it might be Will doing his thing whilst the German dub is more classic/Broadway vocal style. The lyric changes threw me the first time as well! I don't want to judge it just on a clip but there doesn't feel like there's enough power behind it. The Art & Making of Aladdin says it builds so I'll try and reserve judgment until I see the full thing. But right now this is how I'm feeling;

JeanGreyForever wrote:
Too bad we couldn't have gotten James Monroe Iglehart

I know I'm crazily bias towards the stage cast but James would have been perfect. I'm still hopeful for Will Smith as I've liked the chemistry I've seen between him and Mena so far, I was just hoping for a bit more on the singing.

WarriorDreamer wrote:
I would say I understand how you feel, but at least one big star helps to secure a film as a blockbuster movie, and not a small art-house film.

I'm 50/50 on this. From a studio perspective you are 100% right. They were always going to want a big name as Genie (and we're probably lucky it was just Genie). But I would argue that you could say Disney's Aladdin and people would assume big budget blockbuster regardless of the cast. I can't imagine many are going to this just to see Will Smith, just like I'd argue that the very few people went to Beauty and the Beast because it starred Emma Watson. They went because it was Disney's Beauty and the Beast in live action. The brand name is the big draw here over the star power. I wish they'd realize this and go with best for the job over name recognition (and I know that's ironic when Robin Williams' Genie was arguably the first big name casting in Disney animation).

WarriorDreamer wrote:
I'd say just wait and see how it will all go, but go in with a hopeful heart to seeing something new. Remember that it is a different adaptation, so it's open to a new interpretation. That is what I keep telling myself when it comes to classic myths like these.

This is definitely the best approach. For the live action adaptations I always hope for something that keeps the heart of the original story and characters but brings something new to the mix so it stands on its own rather than just being a straight up remake. It looks like they're trying to do that here so, whilst I'd like a stronger vocal in some places, I'm still optimistic.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:58 am 
Platinum Edition

Two new TV spots:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BxdzKT1jVNc/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bxd2I99jl1t/

JeanGreyForever wrote:
A popular complaint (besides Will Smith's abysmal and monotone singing) is how the parade resembles one of Disney's at the parks or the Macy Thanksgiving Parade. It feels so small-scale and absolutely loses the frenetic nature and manic energy that Robin Williams injected into the original.

That may had to do with budgetary constraints. They couldn't have Will constantly transforming into other things and people like in the original 'cause for each new transformation they would have to build a CG model and rig it and animate it from scratch. And considering the poor job they did with the blue genie and Raja, this actually may be for the best.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:36 am 
Special Edition

They also said (I think in the Art & Making of but might have been an interview) that there are less Genie transformations because they looked freaky/off in live action. They'd never admit it but I do agree with Sotiris that budget was likely a big factor as well.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:51 pm 
Platinum Edition

I would've liked Iglehart as Genie, too.

I'm still confident I'll like the film for what it is--it was never going to be as good as the original and I never expected it to be. Mena Massoud, Will Smith, and Naomi Scott all look great. Jafar looks much weaker than the animated film, but I can at least understand the direction they're going with the character; they wanted him to be more threatening in a realistic way rather than all the cackling and mustache-twirling. I'm sure Ursula will be less OTT crazy in the TLM remake, too. It's hard to make that work in live-action, imo. I don't think it'll top The Jungle Book to be my favorite of the re-makes, but I expect I'll enjoy it around the same level as B&tB. I still need to see MPR and Dumbo.

David Archuleta ~ "OK, All Right"
Troye Sivan ~ "Take Yourself Home"

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:14 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

ChrisLyne wrote:
The Art & Making of Aladdin says it builds so I'll try and reserve judgment until I see the full thing.
That makes me feel a little bit better because maybe it becomes more energized towards the end, building to a crescendo.

ChrisLyne wrote:
I know I'm crazily bias towards the stage cast but James would have been perfect. I'm still hopeful for Will Smith as I've liked the chemistry I've seen between him and Mena so far, I was just hoping for a bit more on the singing.
I've liked the chemistry between Smith and his co-leads as well and from early audience reactions, people have been surprised at how he shines in this role. Still think his singing could have been dubbed though.

WarriorDreamer wrote:
I would say I understand how you feel, but at least one big star helps to secure a film as a blockbuster movie, and not a small art-house film.
Like ChrisLyne said, a Disney film with a big-budget and endless amounts of promotion like this will never be considered a small art-house film, regardless of the cast. It was always going to draw audiences with or without Smith and considering that all the bad press this film has gotten so far revolves around his character (the bad Genie effects, the lackluster singing), maybe it would have been better without him.

Sotiris wrote:
That may had to do with budgetary constraints. They couldn't have Will constantly transforming into other things and people like in the original 'cause for each new transformation they would have to build a CG model and rig it and animate it from scratch. And considering the poor job they did with the blue genie and Raja, this actually may be for the best.
ChrisLyne wrote:
They also said (I think in the Art & Making of but might have been an interview) that there are less Genie transformations because they looked freaky/off in live action. They'd never admit it but I do agree with Sotiris that budget was likely a big factor as well.
I don't understand the issues with budget since clearly they have no issues in that regard with Star Wars or Marvel films. Disney should consider their budget a little more carefully for a live-action remake like this because the entire reason that Aladdin got so much bad press in the beginning was because of its awful effects. And now the second controversy, over the Prince Ali sequence, is getting similar criticism because of how mundane and localized it all looks. Clearly pumping in more money will yield more money.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:51 am 
Special Edition

Disney budgets are likely determined by what they think the reward is. Using Aladdin as an example I don't think anyone expects it to make the same amount as Beauty and the Beast did (or that they think Lion King will) so it probably got a smaller budget in comparison. Not saying it's a small budget by any means, just smaller than those two.

Now, they definitely have the money to fix stuff if things are going wrong. They threw money at Solo for the reshoots. Honestly, I wouldn't be very surprised if it one day comes out that the Genie backlash brought a bit more money into Aladdin to make sure he looked better in time for release. But even if that's the case it wouldn't help Prince Ali as that was already shot and isn't just a case of touching up the CGI if they wanted to increase the scale/spectacle.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:59 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

New featurette and article about the film's production design.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:22 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

More reactions from early screenings. The actuals reviews won't be published until May 22, two days before the release. And it seems the movie has an end-credits scene.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:08 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Sounds like people are pleasantly surprised with the film and enjoying it after all, with the major unanimous criticism being Jafar. A pity Disney decided to revamp his character like this.

BTW, this Twitter user speed up the Prince Ali song and I have to say, that it sounds so much better this way. Disney should consider increasing the tempo themselves because it makes a world of a difference.
https://twitter.com/LeviAtkinz/status/1 ... li-song%2F

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:27 am 
Platinum Edition

Do you guys think budget was the reason for no snake-Jafar?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:36 am 
Collector's Edition

Disney Duster wrote:
Do you guys think budget was the reason for no snake-Jafar?

Nah, I read the end of the novelization and it’s pretty clear they wanted to do something different to separate this from the original. Giant Iago is just as costly if not more so because it’s such an extended sequence with him. It’s a much bigger scale ending, which I think will work better in a live action setting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1395 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 70  Next