Aladdin (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Aladdin (Live-Action)

Post by D82 »

Footage descriptions from CinemaCon:
Disney also teased a sequence from “Aladdin,” featuring Will Smith putting a hip-hop spin on “Friend Like Me,” the antic Robin Williams song that became synonymous with the late comedian. The elaborate number featured Smith’s genie fighting off sword-carrying thieves and turning his hand into a marionette, before instructing audiences that they could “clap now” while miming a mic drop.
Source: https://variety.com/2019/film/news/lion ... 203179960/
The footage provided an extended look at Will Smith’s “Friend Like Me” song and dance number, which included the actor rapping. The special effects were not completely done in the scene. While some found the footage to be childish, others were won over by its energy and visual flair.
Source: https://www.indiewire.com/2019/04/aladd ... 202055505/
"A clip from Aladdin plays. In it, the oil lamp in the cave is shown as the request for it to be retrieved is narrating. Abu wants to touch treasures but Aladdin reminds him they are not to touch anything here. Aladdin climbs up the rock to find the lamp. Abu instinctively catches a falling gem. The entire cave starts to collapse and the Magic Carpet catches theme. Aladdin rubs the lamp and slowly the Genie emerges like a blue tornado. “Oh, great one who summons me, terrible one who commands me, I stand by my oath loyalty to wishes three!” he says in a deep voice. He is just kidding though. He makes the monkey play the jumos and bursts out in song. It turns into a dance number where Genie transforms, grows, shrinks, and goes in and out of the lamp. He sends Aladdin to imaginary locations like amazing dinners, he multiplies himself, and sings “You ain’t never had a friend like me!” It’s a colorful, extravagant music video of sorts. Aladdin ends up dancing on puppet strings manipulated by the Genie, then Genie doe some circus tricks, dance moves, and sends the Magic Carpet in circles before breaking into a beatbox. He zips around, puts them both on a couch, appears again behind them five times over and adds background tone to the song. He explains himself and introduces himself through the song. They burst into a secret handshake of sorts before becoming synchronized in their dance moves. As the camera pulls out, fireworks, giraffes, elephants, and all sorts of extravagant colors and animals are in the cave.

Cut to the village, Jasmine and Aladdin are developing their relationship, dancing, he asks her to trust him and get on the Magic Carpet. Chases ensues, action flashes by, and it’s all very colorful."
Source: https://comicbook.com/movies/2019/04/03 ... cinemacon/
During the CinemaCon presentation, the audience got to watch a scene set in the Cave of Wonders. After being sent into the cave by Jafar, who instructs the street urchin to only retrieve an oil lamp and nothing else, Aladdin and his monkey Abu end up in trouble. Why? Because that damn Abu can’t help but touch a ruby that causes a whole lot of destruction.

During the course of all this, Aladdin gets the lamp, and of course, Will Smith’s CGI-enhanced Genie appears. This turns into a big musical number where Will Smith hams it up big time, putting on different voices, and forcing Aladdin to dance like the big, blue jerk he is. In short, it’s creating a scene from the animated film, but in live-action. And yes, the Will Smith Genie raps.

This gave way to a series of shots, including a magic carpet ride with Jasmine, and the still-unexplained scene where Iago the parrot becomes humongous and chases characters through the street. If you assumed this chase is shot exactly like a typical Guy Ritchie action sequence, you’re correct, baby.
Source: https://www.slashfilm.com/aladdin-footage-reaction/
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Thanks for the updates, D82. The Friend Like Me sequence is pretty much what I expected based on the footage in the trailer.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^No problem. :)

Will Smith has shared a video where he surprises Mena Massoud and Naomi Scott with their first look at the Hasbro dolls of their characters. Here are also some photos of the dolls.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Thanks for posting a link to the dolls. I like how the Genie can be transformed. However, Jasmine's stomach being printed on is incredibly cheap, even for Hasbro.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

That is actually part of her costume JeanGreyForever; they have done away with Jasmine baring her tummy, but have instead pulled her top further down and made it a flesh colour.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

^Which is a horrible costume design choice, IMO. If you didn't want her midriff exposed, fine. Just keep the rest the top turquoise too. But having it flesh-colored is idiotic and completely defeats the purpose.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Absolutely agree with you, can’t fathom why they changed it in the first place. She keeps more or less the original costume in the stage show, but she has now been covered up in the parks for a few years. I believe this was due to Disney wanting to be more politically correct ?
Pumpkin Pasties

Post by Pumpkin Pasties »

D82 wrote:^No problem. :)

Will Smith has shared a video where he surprises Mena Massoud and Naomi Scott with their first look at the Hasbro dolls of their characters. Here are also some photos of the dolls.
They're hideous. Like everything in this film, I guess.

I thank God Mattel made the 'Mary Poppins Returns' dolls.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

yep typical Hasbro with its printed on details and molded plastic everywhere, still I might get some of the Jasmine dolls to give her outfits to my Hasbro animated Jasmine dolls.

so the more Ive seen of this film the better its looking to me. The 2nd trailer was such an improvement, talk about damage control! Too bad Jafar still looks meh. My favorite posters have actually been those individual character posters. I like the main characters(except Genie) portrayed with their animal sidekicks. Oh my that parrot, lol! :lol: (Large parrots are notoriously capable of being complete a-holes, they've captured that so well in the Jafar poster.) I think he's gonna be lotsa trouble for our heroes. :twisted:
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Atlantica wrote:That is actually part of her costume JeanGreyForever; they have done away with Jasmine baring her tummy, but have instead pulled her top further down and made it a flesh colour.
That's true, but at least it's sheer material in the actual move. In the doll, it looks 10x more ridiculous.
ImageImage
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Okay....why do some things in this trailer make me think it's for cut-scenes from Once Upon a Time vs the official live action remake?
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I hadn't seen the paper doll book before so thanks for posting. It gives us a clearer look at Jasmine's purple outfit that we saw in the trailer. The back of the book also features a completely different purple outfit that I don't think we've seen at all before. I read somewhere that Jasmine has 9 costumes for the film so I guess this is another one of those.
ImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sneak Peek of Disney’s ‘Aladdin’ Coming Soon to Disney Parks and Disney Cruise Line (includes a video)
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/ ... uise-line/
NeverLand
Gold Classic Collection

Post by NeverLand »

NeverLand
Gold Classic Collection

Post by NeverLand »

Last edited by NeverLand on Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

NeverLand wrote:Image
This is not official, it's a fan-edit. Jasmine doesn't have an outfit like that.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I don't know why, but the costumes for Jasmine are coming over as really Bollywood ? Maybe that's the design aesthetic they were going for. She is absolutely beautiful though, quite breathtaking.

Aladdin's wig is dreadful up close, blimey :lol:
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

This has my interest...still hate genie though..everything Will Smith touches is worser for it
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool