DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1403 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 71  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:59 am 
Limited Edition

I'm of Middle Eastern descent, and I'm in no way offended about the choice, he could definitely make a good Aladdin (provided he can sing if this is gonna end up as a musical), physically I always thought Toby Sebastian who plays Trystane Martell in Game of Thrones would eventually be cast as Aladdin.http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4514519/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:00 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

I mean he looks the part, but come on, Disney! You were doing great!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:43 pm 
Platinum Edition

Jack Skellington wrote:
physically I always thought Toby Sebastian who plays Trystane Martell in Game of Thrones would eventually be cast as Aladdin.http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4514519/
I agree, he'd be a wonderful Aladdin. :up:

Dolly Parton, Jordin Sparks, Sara Evans, Monica, Rita Wilson ~ "Pink"
Sara Evans ~ "Anywhere"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:22 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

People should stop being so ridiculous about ethnicity.

My boyfriend who is Persian was constantly addressed in Italian on our trip to Rome. Simple truth is they don't look that different. It's history, religion and concepts of west versus east that have separated Southern Europeans from Iranians and Arabs, but evolutionarily they are practically identical.

These differences that supposedly make a casting choice like this 'offensive' are all in our heads.

The guy literally looks like he stepped out of the animated feature. I'd even say he looks slightly Indian.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:57 pm 
Limited Edition

Sotiris wrote:
Luke Pasqualino is in negotiations to star in the live-action adaptation of Aladdin. Even though he can pass as Middle Eastern, apparently he's only of Italian descent. People are not going to be happy about this.

He kinda looked like Aladdin in the BBC TV series The Musketeers.

He is very hot but reminds me more of Flynn than Aladdin. Aladdin is good looking but needs a boyish charm I think. Toby Sebastian looks the part more imo.

But Luke Pasgualino looks good and I'm sure would be great in the role.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:29 am 
Special Edition

I liked Luke in Musketeers and he definitely has the right look for the part. My dream pick is still Adam Jacobs (I know, never gonna happen) but I'd be more than happy if Luke did get the role.

To be honest I'm actually hoping this isn't a musical. I'm way too protective of the animated classic and the stage show and I just know if they did the movie as a full blown musical they'd cast names/stars over singing ability for most of the roles and I'd just be really disappointed. I'm hoping for more of an action/adventure comedy with some of the music retained where appropriate (like Jungle Book). Hopefully that's what they meant when they said this will retain some "musical elements".

Plus I'm still holding on to the hope that if Newsies Live does well they'll do the same for Aladdin whilst it still has most of it's original cast! That would be the best of both worlds, a full HD recording of the stage show and a more action/adventure live action movie version, both inspired by but different from the animated feature in their own ways.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:44 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Quote:
In a recent interview, the film's producer, Dan Lin, expressed his intention to cast the film with ethnically authentic actors, stating: "Look at me. (Laughs) I mean I'm not a typical guy. Listen I'm very fortunate working in Hollywood; I am diverse. So when I came in to make the movie, I wanted to make a diverse version of the movie. Luckily for me Guy Ritchie has the same vision and Disney has the same vision, so we're not here to make Prince of Persia. We want to make a movie that's authentic to that world. "We're gonna be discovering new people because it's a real challenge, because not only does an actor have to act, but they really have to have singing chops."

http://collider.com/aladdin-live-action ... t/#dan-lin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:50 am 
Platinum Edition

Quote:
They really have to have singing chops.

Yes! Fingers crossed it'll be full-blown musical à la Beauty and the Beast and not just a couple of songs like it was in The Jungle Book.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:39 pm 
Limited Edition

Maybe it's just me, but after BATB I'm not really invested in any other remake. Aladdin could work, but brr, a horrible CGI Genie/Friend like me/Prince Ali can really turn me off the experience.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:16 pm 
Platinum Edition

Sotiris wrote:
Yes! Fingers crossed it'll be full-blown musical à la Beauty and the Beast and not just a couple of songs like it was in The Jungle Book.

Same. (And I'm guessing the reaction to B&tB-LA will be the deciding point in its favor, actually.) If that happened, I wonder if they would carry anything over from the musical or make new songs like with B&tB-LA?

Dolly Parton, Jordin Sparks, Sara Evans, Monica, Rita Wilson ~ "Pink"
Sara Evans ~ "Anywhere"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:38 pm 
Platinum Edition

Disney's Divinity wrote:
If that happened, I wonder if they would carry anything over from the musical or make new songs like with B&tB-LA?

They'd probably carry over Proud of Your Boy, if nothing else.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:06 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

My money would be on Golshifte Farahani for Jasmine. She's beautiful, Persian, can sing and she's already on Disney's radar with a role in Dead Men Tell No Tales. The only objection would be she's early 30s and knowing Hollywood they will cast someone younger.

Otherwise I'm very curious to see who they'd pick.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:35 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

If they're making it a musical, than I would really like to have "High Adventure" included. Even if they have to change some of the lyrics in the event they don't use the characters of Aladdin's three friends.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:56 pm 
Platinum Edition

Disney has sent out a casting call notice for Aladdin and Jasmine.

Source: https://twitter.com/msdanifernandez/sta ... 3377911808

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:43 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Thank God for this! Good luck everyone!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:12 am 
Platinum Edition

Oh wow they're actually looking for unknowns. I thought they would cast people slightly more known. At least we won't have the same issue Emma Watson had, with a lead actor who can't sing.

"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:35 am 
Platinum Edition

Welp. I guess I'm too old for the part. :(

Watch them go through the whole dog-and-pony-show about an open casting call for an ethnically-accurate Aladdin, and then they hire a white guy because "he just brought something so unique to the part and we felt he was the best fit for the role as written."

Albert

WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:03 am 
Limited Edition

So Jasmine is NOT fifteen then. Good.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:52 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I'm not trying to be condescending, but I highly doubt that Jasmine is be only fifteen. She certainly looks older and behaves even more so. I was baffled when I learned that Belle was only seventeen, due to her acting and looking more mature and I could buy that. But Jasmine must be sixteen, at least.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:51 pm 
Platinum Edition

DisneyFan09 wrote:
I'm not trying to be condescending, but I highly doubt that Jasmine is be only fifteen. She certainly looks older and behaves even more so. I was baffled when I learned that Belle was only seventeen, due to her acting and looking more mature and I could buy that. But Jasmine must be sixteen, at least.

She was turning 16 in the movie. So far the live-action actresses have looked close enough to their ages in the animated movie (18 for Cinderella and 17 for Belle) so I hope Jasmine and Aladdin are cast young enough to look 16 and 18 respectively.

"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1403 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 71  Next