DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:38 am 
Platinum Edition

I hope "Proud of Your Boy" is in but I like "These Palace Walls" best for Jasmine.

But you're right, if Mowgli can have his animal friends and Cinderella and her stepmother can have their animal friends, why can't Aladdin, Jasmine, and Jafar?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:25 am 
Platinum Edition

Do you think they will ignore the stage musical like they did for BATB ? Save for a few notes from 'Home' I think they made a proper decision to move away from it; wonder if it will be the same here.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:38 pm 
Limited Edition

Atlantica wrote:
Do you think they will ignore the stage musical like they did for BATB ? Save for a few notes from 'Home' I think they made a proper decision to move away from it; wonder if it will be the same here.

From the sounds of the way they are also approaching The Little Mermaid, I think they are probably going to avoid the stage musical for Aladdin as well. Maybe Menken will push to use the original Howard Ashman songs especially since it sounds like Aladdin won't be a straight copy of the original so following the original version of the film would differentiate it but there's been no indication of that either so far. I don't really care for any of the musical songs so I'm fine with this route. Ideally they would use the original film's songs, throw in Proud of Your Boy for Aladdin, To Be Free for Jasmine, and then a villain song for Jafar like Why Me that many or may not replace the reprise of Prince Ali.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:32 pm 
Platinum Edition

JeanGreyForever wrote:
Sotiris wrote:
Disney's Live-Action 'Aladdin' Casts Billy Magnussen as New Character
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... er-1035329

Sounds like he'll be playing a rival prince for Jasmine's affections. Basically a Prince Achmed character but likely European.

Creation of New White Character, Prince Anders, in Live-Action Aladdin Draws Controversy
http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories/cre ... ntroversy/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:26 pm 
Platinum Edition

blackcauldron85 wrote:
Creation of New White Character, Prince Anders, in Live-Action Aladdin Draws Controversy
http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories/cre ... ntroversy/
Not surprised considering the character is not necessary.

What a cute cast pic you posted, Sotiris. I don't care if Iago's role is replaced. The humor is not going to be the same without Gottfried just like Will Smith is not going to be the same as Robin Williams. I have a feeling the film will be mostly without the OTT humor of the animated film, and I'm fine with it.

I could see "PoYB" being included, but I won't be too bothered if it's not considering I don't expect Massoud will sound as good as Adam Jacobs anyway. I don't care if Jasmine or Jafar get songs either, really. I'd prefer the new songs to be for Aladdin and Genie.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:01 pm 
Limited Edition

Disney's Live-Action 'Aladdin' Might Be Based On The Folktale 'Aladdin And The Wonderful Lamp'
https://moviepilot.com/p/live-action-al ... le/4366581

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:36 pm 
Platinum Edition

^Well, in the most recent press release it states that the live-action film is going to be based on both the animated film and the original story.

Quote:
“Aladdin” is directed by Guy Ritchie (“Sherlock Holmes,” ) from a screenplay by John August (“Frankenweenie”) based on the 1992 animated film “Aladdin” and stories from “One Thousand and One Nights.”
Source: http://www.laughingplace.com/w/news/201 ... ill-smith/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:33 pm 
Limited Edition

Sotiris wrote:
^Well, in the most recent press release it states that the live-action film is going to be based on both the animated film and the original story.

I thought the vizier’s son plot the article talks about was something new that was exclusive from the adaptation of the Aladdin tale that is mentioned in the article, Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp. But I’ve seen now that it’s also in the original fairytale, so you’re right Sotiris, that article doesn’t provide any new information we didn’t already know.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:15 pm 
Limited Edition

It'll probably be like Beauty and the Beast, how they took elements of the original fairytale like Maurice picking a rose from the Beast's castle. The original film already splices things from different tales from the Arabian Nights like the flying carpet for example.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:06 pm 
Platinum Edition

It's a shame Adam Jacobs didn't go for the role. Maybe he would have gotten it.

Quote:
Will Smith will be Genie in a live-action 2019 “Aladdin.” Jacobs had some initial interest in reprising his role in the film, “but I knew they were seeking an actor of true Middle Eastern descent, so I did not pursue it,” he said. The role went to Egyptian Canadian actor Mena Massoud.

Jacobs’ ancestry is Russian, Polish, Jewish, Filipino and Spanish, he said. “I have always been quote-unquote ‘ethnically ambiguous,’ and that has helped me play a variety of roles” in the theater, he said. But “there is more of a realistic mentality in TV and film,” Jacobs said. “I have gone through a couple of pilot seasons, and have gotten sort of that ‘we are not sure where to put him.’”
Source: http://www.sfchronicle.com/performance/ ... 306271.php

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:51 pm 
Limited Edition

Sotiris wrote:
It's a shame Adam Jacobs didn't go for the role. Maybe he would have gotten it.

Quote:
Will Smith will be Genie in a live-action 2019 “Aladdin.” Jacobs had some initial interest in reprising his role in the film, “but I knew they were seeking an actor of true Middle Eastern descent, so I did not pursue it,” he said. The role went to Egyptian Canadian actor Mena Massoud.

Jacobs’ ancestry is Russian, Polish, Jewish, Filipino and Spanish, he said. “I have always been quote-unquote ‘ethnically ambiguous,’ and that has helped me play a variety of roles” in the theater, he said. But “there is more of a realistic mentality in TV and film,” Jacobs said. “I have gone through a couple of pilot seasons, and have gotten sort of that ‘we are not sure where to put him.’”
Source: http://www.sfchronicle.com/performance/ ... 306271.php

After all the flack that Jasmine's actress got for being Indian and not Arabian, I can't imagine the controversy Disney would get for casting Adam Jacobs. I wouldn't mind him in the role though because he's quite talented, but he's never had that Aladdin look for me. He's too buff and his hair also doesn't look like Aladdin's.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:00 am 
Platinum Edition

I would have liked Adam in the film but maybe Mena will deliver a better performance.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:28 pm 
Platinum Edition

For some reason, Adam Jacobs has always looked a tad too old for the role to me? That's something more forgivable on stage, but the man they cast does look the part at least. Somehow I doubt he'll sing as well as Jacobs, but I expect nothing from live-action film musicals.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:56 pm 
Limited Edition

Next Gen: 'Aladdin' Star Naomi Scott Says Jasmine is "a Multidimensional Woman"

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/aladdin-star-naomi-scott-is-reinventing-jasmine-shes-a-multidimensional-woman-1055350

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:02 pm 
Platinum Edition

Yes, Disney’s live-action Aladdin will feature Jasmine’s tiger
http://ew.com/movies/2017/11/08/disney- ... ion-rajah/

EXCLUSIVE: Abu To Appear In The Live-Action ALADDIN Remake!
https://disneyfilmfacts.com/2017/11/30/ ... in-remake/

EXCLUSIVE: Iago To Appear In The Live-Action ALADDIN Remake!
https://disneyfilmfacts.com/2018/01/17/ ... in-remake/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:45 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm glad Rajah is staying. Hope they keep Abu and Iago as well.

Not a big fan of updating the heroines, but I suppose Belle was always progressive enough that I didn't think she needed an update. A lot of Jasmine's role in the film got cut down to put more of the focus on Aladdin, so I guess I don't completely mind making Jasmine more "multidimensional."

I have mixed feelings on the addition of the handmaiden. The original Aladdin really was lacking in female characters, especially after scrapping Aladdin's mom (I wish she was included here). However, I always liked how the Disney Princesses in general were isolated with only animal friends, although I understand that something like that works better in animation than in live-action. I hope Rajah isn't sidelined too much with the addition of the handmaiden. I do like the actress who is playing her, so that makes me more receptive to the character.

I also don't like the notion that the animated characters never felt real until they are brought into live-action where they can become more fleshed out. Isn't the whole point that audiences fell in love with these characters in animation and could relate to them? Hence, why they're being brought back into live-action because people will pay to see them again?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:19 am 
Platinum Edition

I'm less concerned with Rajah than I am Abu, if only because I want see if they'll train a monkey or CGI him to be more humany-wumany. He was human in Thief of Bagdad, so I wonder if they might go that route again.

Albert

WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:34 am 
Limited Edition

Escapay wrote:
I'm less concerned with Rajah than I am Abu, if only because I want see if they'll train a monkey or CGI him to be more humany-wumany. He was human in Thief of Bagdad, so I wonder if they might go that route again.

Albert

I wonder if they'll go with that treatment for Iago especially since he's human in the musical.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:02 am 
Platinum Edition

My guess would be a CGI Abu and Iago turned into a human servant.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:56 am 
Platinum Edition

Yea, these characters were fully realized and 3-dimensional in the original animated films, but I'm excited to see Jasmine have even more added to her.

I really hope we get Abu and Iago as animals. All the other remakes kept the animals or enchanted objects.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 17  Next