DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:37 am 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure

Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:07 pm
Posts: 3639
Location: Spain
JeanGreyForever wrote:
The overuse of Beyonce in that ceremony is why I thought they'd want to bring her back here and give her the spotlight again, especially after how prominent Lady Gaga was last year (and rightfully so). I'm glad they didn't go that route.

I'm glad too. I guess the producers of the show would've loved her to be nominated, but they have some other really famous performers this year, so they don't really need her this time to help with the ratings. By the way, just out of curiosity, for what performances do you think Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie weren't deserving of being nominated?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:46 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:29 pm
Posts: 5335
D82 wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:
The overuse of Beyonce in that ceremony is why I thought they'd want to bring her back here and give her the spotlight again, especially after how prominent Lady Gaga was last year (and rightfully so). I'm glad they didn't go that route.

I'm glad too. I guess the producers of the show would've loved her to be nominated, but they have some other really famous performers this year, so they don't really need her this time to help with the ratings. By the way, just out of curiosity, for what performances do you think Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie weren't deserving of being nominated?

I'm surprised they didn't nominate something from Cats either for Taylor Swift to appear.

It was the movie The Tourist (2010). It was critically panned but Depp and Jolie were nominated for Golden Globes for their performances (not Oscars as I originally thought). There was a lot of controversy over that and online, everyone says they were only nominated to boost ratings.

_________________
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:11 am 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure

Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:07 pm
Posts: 3639
Location: Spain
JeanGreyForever wrote:
It was the movie The Tourist (2010). It was critically panned but Depp and Jolie were nominated for Golden Globes for their performances (not Oscars as I originally thought). There was a lot of controversy over that and online, everyone says they were only nominated to boost ratings.

I had forgotten they were nominated at the Golden Globes for that film. I agree with you, those nominations weren't deserved at all. Though, to be fair, looking at the films nominated in the Musical or Comedy category that year (three of them have a rotten score on Rotten Tomatoes: The Tourist, Alice in Wonderland and Burlesque), it probably wasn't a good year for those types of movies, so that might've been a factor too. Either way, I've also heard they've been accused of doing that several times. And it could be true because unlike the Academy, which has thousands of members, they're a really small number and it would be easier for them to speak among themselves and plan who to vote.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:25 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:29 pm
Posts: 5335
D82 wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:
It was the movie The Tourist (2010). It was critically panned but Depp and Jolie were nominated for Golden Globes for their performances (not Oscars as I originally thought). There was a lot of controversy over that and online, everyone says they were only nominated to boost ratings.

I had forgotten they were nominated at the Golden Globes for that film. I agree with you, those nominations weren't deserved at all. Though, to be fair, looking at the films nominated in the Musical or Comedy category that year (three of them have a rotten score on Rotten Tomatoes: The Tourist, Alice in Wonderland and Burlesque), it probably wasn't a good year for those types of movies, so that might've been a factor too. Either way, I've also heard they've been accused of doing that several times. And it could be true because unlike the Academy, which has thousands of members, they're a really small number and it would be easier for them to speak among themselves and plan who to vote.

Yeah they've done stuff like this loads of times which is why the Golden Globes don't have as credible a reputation as the Oscars for example. Can't believe Alice in Wonderland was nominated for Best Picture lol.

_________________
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:23 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:02 am
Posts: 11266
Location: America
Wow Alice in Wonderland as Best Picture! Lol

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:46 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 am
Posts: 15564
Aladdin was Japan's third highest-grossing film of 2019, surpassing The Lion King and Toy Story 4. :shock:

Quote:
Makoto Shinkai's Weathering With You was the biggest hit of the year in Japan, with the director's follow-up to smash hit Your Name pulling in $129 million. It was a bumper year for Disney, which released the four top-grossing imports, led by Frozen 2 with $117 million, Aladdin pulling in $111 million, Toy Story 4 taking $92.5 million and Lion King, which brought in $63 million in Japan.
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... 19-1274000

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:16 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:29 pm
Posts: 5335
Wow, I'm really psyched for how well Aladdin did in Japan (and other international box offices). Japan loves Frozen so Aladdin coming so clear is a really good sign although I've also heard that Frozen II didn't do as well as the original Frozen in Japan.

Love how they practically dismissed The Lion King in comparison to Frozen, Aladdin, and Toy Story, although the latter three are franchises that Japan absolutely loves and markets the hell out of.

_________________
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:34 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:26 pm
Posts: 12433
I'm glad Weathering with You, Frozen II, and Aladdin were the top 3.

_________________
Image
Listening to most often lately:
Chrissy Metz ~ "Talking to God"
Hailey Whitters ~ "Heartland"
Taylor Swift ~ "my tears ricochet"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:14 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 am
Posts: 15564
Aladdin has been nominated for the Razzie Redeemer Award at the Golden Raspberry Awards 2019.

Quote:
Razzie Redeemer Award

Eddie Murphy — Dolemite Is My Name
Keanu Reeves — John Wick 3 & Toy Story 4
Adam Sandler — Uncut Gems
Jennifer Lopez — Hustlers
Will Smith — Aladdin
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists ... s-1267859/

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:05 am 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 19, 2018 4:09 pm
Posts: 2114
Good for Will.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:14 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:46 am
Posts: 4297
Location: Maryland, USA
Good for Will! Can’t say I’m disappointed because that would be rude, but l have to say that I’m shocked the guy who was Jafar in the live Aladdin wasn’t nominated for a Razzie. :o


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:33 am 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:27 pm
Posts: 2839
The Razzie voters don't actually watch the movies they nominate. It's just a $40 fee to join and the nominees often just go for easy targets.

_________________
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:05 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 am
Posts: 15564
estefan wrote:
The Razzie voters don't actually watch the movies they nominate.

Isn't that true of all award voters? You can never truly know if members have actually watched the movies they nominate.

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:10 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 am
Posts: 15564
Aladdin has been nominated for two Kids' Choice Awards.

Quote:
Favorite Movie

Aladdin
Avengers: Endgame
Captain Marvel
Jumanji: The Next Level
Spider-Man: Far From Home
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Favorite Movie Actor

Chris Evans — Avengers: Endgame
Chris Hemsworth — Avengers: Endgame, Men in Black: International
Dwayne Johnson — Hobbs & Shaw, Jumanji: The Next Level
Kevin Hart — Jumanji: The Next Level
Tom Holland — Spider-Man: Far From Home
Will Smith — Aladdin
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists ... 11-1279205


Aladdin has been nominated for a Webby Award.

Quote:
General Video (Variety)

The Late Show With Stephen Colbert: Stephen Has a Story
Behind the Scenes of Aladdin Crosswalk the Musical w/ Will Smith
Leonardo DiCaprio & Quentin Tarantino Break Down Once Upon a Time in Hollywood’s Main Character
Best Interview Ever: Gaten Matarazzo
If I Could Tell You Just One Thing
Source: https://www.webbyawards.com/press/press ... announced/

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:03 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 am
Posts: 15564
Aladdin Costume Facts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCM-AMiv_rA

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:59 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 am
Posts: 15564
Financial analysis for Aladdin.

Quote:
Aladdin cost more than Disney’s 2017 feature live-action adaptation of Beauty and the Beast, $185M to $160M before P&A, even though the genie’s overall global costs were slightly lower at $455M compared with Beauty‘s near half billion. Overall difference? Beast made more with $912.5M in all global theatrical, TV and home entertainment revenues to Aladdin‘s $811M. Participations of $25M were mostly collected by Ritchie and Smith. Interest here at $30M is the amount figured on production costs; essentially when a studio looks at their own profitability, it includes an allocation for their borrowing costs. Net profit for Aladdin was $356M versus Beauty and the Beast‘s $414.7M.
Source: https://deadline.com/2020/04/aladdin-mo ... 202915385/

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:38 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:26 pm
Posts: 12433
They both did enormously well. Somehow I don't see the new TLM doing as well as the other three of the Fab Four, unfortunately, just like the Broadway show flopped because of horrible casting / design, too. I actually think TLM is a more simplistic, basic story than the other three, which makes the fact that they keep flubbing it pretty amazing.

_________________
Image
Listening to most often lately:
Chrissy Metz ~ "Talking to God"
Hailey Whitters ~ "Heartland"
Taylor Swift ~ "my tears ricochet"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:19 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 am
Posts: 15564
This is interesting. The screenwriter for the remake, John August, who also happens to be a songwriter, had written songs for the film before Menken came on board.

Quote:
In the case of Corpse Bride, John August worked directly with Danny Elfman and shares a writing credit on the songs. “What I’ve classically done, I just write the songs and I know the songs are going to get swapped out at some point… The same thing happened with Aladdin. I wrote some new songs and then Alan Menken swapped them out.”
Source: https://www.laughingplace.com/w/article ... ter-hours/

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:34 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:26 pm
Posts: 12433
I wonder why they would've had another composer working on the Aladdin re-make? At least he's humble enough to realize his work was going to be thrown away as soon as Menken came aboard.

_________________
Image
Listening to most often lately:
Chrissy Metz ~ "Talking to God"
Hailey Whitters ~ "Heartland"
Taylor Swift ~ "my tears ricochet"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:15 pm 
Offline
Special Edition
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:49 pm
Posts: 387
Disney's Divinity wrote:
I wonder why they would've had another composer working on the Aladdin re-make? At least he's humble enough to realize his work was going to be thrown away as soon as Menken came aboard.


To be fair, while Alan Menken is a composer while the other guy is mentioned to be a songwriter. Alan Menken could have partnered with him if he wished (and Disney allowed, that is)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blackcauldron85, Google [Bot] and 42 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group