DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1394 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:37 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

JeanGreyForever wrote:
The overuse of Beyonce in that ceremony is why I thought they'd want to bring her back here and give her the spotlight again, especially after how prominent Lady Gaga was last year (and rightfully so). I'm glad they didn't go that route.

I'm glad too. I guess the producers of the show would've loved her to be nominated, but they have some other really famous performers this year, so they don't really need her this time to help with the ratings. By the way, just out of curiosity, for what performances do you think Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie weren't deserving of being nominated?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:46 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

D82 wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:
The overuse of Beyonce in that ceremony is why I thought they'd want to bring her back here and give her the spotlight again, especially after how prominent Lady Gaga was last year (and rightfully so). I'm glad they didn't go that route.

I'm glad too. I guess the producers of the show would've loved her to be nominated, but they have some other really famous performers this year, so they don't really need her this time to help with the ratings. By the way, just out of curiosity, for what performances do you think Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie weren't deserving of being nominated?

I'm surprised they didn't nominate something from Cats either for Taylor Swift to appear.

It was the movie The Tourist (2010). It was critically panned but Depp and Jolie were nominated for Golden Globes for their performances (not Oscars as I originally thought). There was a lot of controversy over that and online, everyone says they were only nominated to boost ratings.

"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:11 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

JeanGreyForever wrote:
It was the movie The Tourist (2010). It was critically panned but Depp and Jolie were nominated for Golden Globes for their performances (not Oscars as I originally thought). There was a lot of controversy over that and online, everyone says they were only nominated to boost ratings.

I had forgotten they were nominated at the Golden Globes for that film. I agree with you, those nominations weren't deserved at all. Though, to be fair, looking at the films nominated in the Musical or Comedy category that year (three of them have a rotten score on Rotten Tomatoes: The Tourist, Alice in Wonderland and Burlesque), it probably wasn't a good year for those types of movies, so that might've been a factor too. Either way, I've also heard they've been accused of doing that several times. And it could be true because unlike the Academy, which has thousands of members, they're a really small number and it would be easier for them to speak among themselves and plan who to vote.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:25 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

D82 wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:

I had forgotten they were nominated at the Golden Globes for that film. I agree with you, those nominations weren't deserved at all. Though, to be fair, looking at the films nominated in the Musical or Comedy category that year (three of them have a rotten score on Rotten Tomatoes: The Tourist, Alice in Wonderland and Burlesque), it probably wasn't a good year for those types of movies, so that might've been a factor too. Either way, I've also heard they've been accused of doing that several times. And it could be true because unlike the Academy, which has thousands of members, they're a really small number and it would be easier for them to speak among themselves and plan who to vote.

Yeah they've done stuff like this loads of times which is why the Golden Globes don't have as credible a reputation as the Oscars for example. Can't believe Alice in Wonderland was nominated for Best Picture lol.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:23 am 
Platinum Edition

Wow Alice in Wonderland as Best Picture! Lol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:46 pm 
Platinum Edition

Aladdin was Japan's third highest-grossing film of 2019, surpassing The Lion King and Toy Story 4. :shock:

Quote:
Makoto Shinkai's Weathering With You was the biggest hit of the year in Japan, with the director's follow-up to smash hit Your Name pulling in $129 million. It was a bumper year for Disney, which released the four top-grossing imports, led by Frozen 2 with $117 million, Aladdin pulling in $111 million, Toy Story 4 taking $92.5 million and Lion King, which brought in $63 million in Japan.
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... 19-1274000

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:16 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Wow, I'm really psyched for how well Aladdin did in Japan (and other international box offices). Japan loves Frozen so Aladdin coming so clear is a really good sign although I've also heard that Frozen II didn't do as well as the original Frozen in Japan.

Love how they practically dismissed The Lion King in comparison to Frozen, Aladdin, and Toy Story, although the latter three are franchises that Japan absolutely loves and markets the hell out of.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:34 pm 
Platinum Edition

I'm glad Weathering with You, Frozen II, and Aladdin were the top 3.

Christina Aguilera ~ "Shotgun"
Ronnie Dunn ~ "Bleed Red"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:14 am 
Platinum Edition

Aladdin has been nominated for the Razzie Redeemer Award at the Golden Raspberry Awards 2019.

Quote:
Razzie Redeemer Award

Eddie Murphy — Dolemite Is My Name
Keanu Reeves — John Wick 3 & Toy Story 4
Adam Sandler — Uncut Gems
Jennifer Lopez — Hustlers
Will Smith — Aladdin
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists ... s-1267859/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:05 am 
Limited Edition

Good for Will.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:14 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Good for Will! Can’t say I’m disappointed because that would be rude, but l have to say that I’m shocked the guy who was Jafar in the live Aladdin wasn’t nominated for a Razzie. :o

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:33 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

The Razzie voters don't actually watch the movies they nominate. It's just a $40 fee to join and the nominees often just go for easy targets.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:05 am 
Platinum Edition

estefan wrote:
The Razzie voters don't actually watch the movies they nominate.

Isn't that true of all award voters? You can never truly know if members have actually watched the movies they nominate.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:10 pm 
Platinum Edition

Aladdin has been nominated for two Kids' Choice Awards.

Quote:
Favorite Movie

Aladdin
Avengers: Endgame
Captain Marvel
Jumanji: The Next Level
Spider-Man: Far From Home
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Favorite Movie Actor

Chris Evans — Avengers: Endgame
Chris Hemsworth — Avengers: Endgame, Men in Black: International
Dwayne Johnson — Hobbs & Shaw, Jumanji: The Next Level
Kevin Hart — Jumanji: The Next Level
Tom Holland — Spider-Man: Far From Home
Will Smith — Aladdin
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists ... 11-1279205

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1394 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70