Aladdin (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Aladdin (Live-Action)

Post by D82 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:"Speechless" is such an addictive song to sing along to. It's been my theme song the past three days because of something going on in my personal life right now. :lol: They should've got someone like Kelly Clarkson, P!nk, or Christina to sing an end credit version of the song. It would've been amazing. Such a shame it didn't get an Oscar nom.
You meant a Grammy nomination, right? It still can be nominated for the Oscar. I also find the song very addictive. By the way, whatever you're going through, I hope it gets better soon. :)
Disney's Divinity wrote:And from the way they talked together in interviews, I think Menken would at least enjoy working with them. I don't think he had that positive an experience with B&tB...
That's the impression I got from him too. When he was promoting Beauty and the Beast he didn't seem that happy, and he kept saying that he would prefer to work on original films. During the promotion for Aladdin, though, he looked much more optimistic and the praises to his partners felt genuine. Maybe it's just that he has made peace with the fact that the remakes won't stop anytime soon and that it's the only job he'll be getting for a while. Anyway, I'm glad he seems happier now, and that at least he has the remakes. I wouldn't mind he worked with Pasek and Paul on the sequel either.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

D82 wrote: You meant a Grammy nomination, right? It still can be nominated for the Oscar. I also find the song very addictive. By the way, whatever you're going through, I hope it gets better soon. :)
Oh, yes, I get the awards shows mixed up and remembered one of the major ones was discussed not long ago. And thanks. :)
D82 wrote:I wouldn't mind he worked with Pasek and Paul on the sequel either.
And that way he would get to do more original work, too, even if it's for an old property.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:And that way he would get to do more original work, too, even if it's for an old property.
Exactly. That's also the main reason why I hope they eventually make the Enchanted sequel.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

D82 wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:And that way he would get to do more original work, too, even if it's for an old property.
Exactly. That's also the main reason why I hope they eventually make the Enchanted sequel.
Although honestly after how they messed up WIR2, I'd rather they not make a sequel at all than butcher the original. Especially since they've been working on this film for years and haven't seemed to be able to crack it yet.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

New interview. I love how Pasek and Paul get named in the headline but Menken is referred to as "Aladdin composer". :roll: Also, it's not her first solo song. It's not even the first one written by Menken; this is the 4th solo he's written for Jasmine.

How Benj Pasek and Justin Paul Helped 'Aladdin' Composer Create Jasmine's First Solo Song
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ng-1260127
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Yes, there's "To Be Free," "Call Me a Princess," and "These Palace Walls."

The subtitle made me laugh though. "self-proclaimed 'members of the cult of Alan  Menken'" :lol: Plus, they are pretty respectful, like this quote:
JUSTIN PAUL We were incredibly nervous and intimidated to be adding something to what is such a glorious and iconic canon of songs. Of course, the advantage that we had — the only reason that we dared tread on that ground — is that we got to be in the room with Alan. Not only did he encourage us and allow us to find our own voice in this, he also shared with us. We got to see earlier drafts of some of the original songs in Aladdin, some of his and Howard's original work.
Although this line from Menken:
When we decided we were going to work together, they came over to my studio.
is definitely him being polite to both them and his bosses, because Disney decides those things and he has no control over it (for better or worse).

I agree with Menken that Jasmine is an unexplored character in the original film.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Sotiris wrote:New interview. I love how Pasek and Paul get named in the headline but Menken is referred to as "Aladdin composer". :roll: Also, it's not her first solo song. It's not even the first one written by Menken; this is the 4th solo he's written for Jasmine.

How Benj Pasek and Justin Paul Helped 'Aladdin' Composer Create Jasmine's First Solo Song
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ng-1260127
Poor Jafar and Jasmine have such a surplus of songs now but the general public wouldn't remember any of them. Definitely wish the animated film had given them their own songs although Prince Ali's reprise works for me. He's the only villain to take the hero's theme song and subvert it for his own use which I think is pretty unique. Jasmine should have definitely gotten To Be Free in the final film and I wish the Platinum Edition had inserted that song during Jasmine's introduction scene. The Hyperion Theater show was already out by then so the song would have existed.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

This is a very interesting and informative video:
Aladdin: How To Introduce a Character
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Wow, that was a really interesting video to watch. I like how he mentioned that the execution of just a few details can completely change a mediocre film into a great one and how, if he had to teach film and how one script can be completely different in the hands of two different people, he would use both Aladdin films as examples.

He really has a point that in the live-action film they immediately introduce Aladdin and Jasmine to each other without introducing them as individuals to us as an audience. You can tell that they were relying on the audience recognizing and already knowing these characters. I felt the same was true for the live-action Beauty and the Beast as well, especially with the enchanted objects.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, exactly, it's such small details that can do that, and yes, it's so cool how you could use the two films to teach that lesson.

Yes, Beauty and the Beast would be another good example, but not as good as Aladdin, because at least Aladdin did things a little more differently, so I feel Beauty and the Beast may actually be harder to teach the lesson. The Lion King was the worst Disney remake eveer though. OMG was that awful.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Maybe but BATB had some pretty major changes of its own. A lot of the songs were executed differently and same with the costumes. Belle's character was certainly not 100% the same and that is also true for Beast and Gaston. LeFou and Maurice are completely revamped and same with the Featherduster and Wardrobe. Mrs. Potts is younger, Cogsworth is married, Chip has a British accent lol. Then plot changes exist like Gaston leaving Maurice to die in the woods, the Enchantress being present, the servants actually becoming full objects at the end, the castle breaking down as rose petals fall, and all the various plot holes that the filmmakers tried to "fix" or add.

I agree about The Lion King. It had a few good points but it really was a waste and there wasn't a single good new song. The characterizations for characters like Scar were really off and even James Earl Jones didn't seem very into it.
ImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

"Speechless" has been nominated for Best Song at the Critics' Choice Awards 2019.
Best Song

Aladdin — "Speechless"
Breakthrough — "I'm Standing With You"
Frozen II — "Into the Unknown"
Harriet — "Stand Up"
The Lion King — "Spirit"
Rocketman — "(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again"
Wild Rose — "Glasgow (No Place Like Home)"
Source: http://www.criticschoice.com/2019/12/ir ... ce-awards/

Source: https://twitter.com/disneyaladdin/statu ... 4399382528
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Aladdin got snubbed at this year's Golden Globes. It didn't receive a single nomination. :(
Disney's Divinity

That’s a shame, but I can't say I'm really surprised. It was a stiff category this year, what with Frozen II, Cats, Rocketman, TLK, etc.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Aladdin has been nominated for Best Production Design in a Fantasy Feature Film at the Art Directors Guild Awards 2019.
Fantasy Feature Film

Ad Astra
Aladdin
Avengers: Endgame
Dumbo
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
Source: https://adg.org/awards/adg/nominees/2020/

Aladdin has been nominated for Best Production Design in an International Studio Fantasy Feature Film at the British Film Designers Guild Awards 2019. Update: Aladdin won!
International Studio Feature Film: Fantasy

Aladdin
Spider-Man: Far From Home
Source: https://britishfilmdesigners.com/awards ... m-fantasy/

Aladdin has been nominated for Excellence in Sci-Fi/Fantasy Film at the Costume Designers Guild Awards 2019.
Excellence in Sci-Fi/Fantasy Film

Aladdin
Avengers: Endgame
Captain Marvel
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
Source: https://costumedesignersguild.com/award ... 2019-2020/

Aladdin has been nominated for Best Music Supervision for Film Budgeted Over $25 Million at the Guild of Music Supervisors Awards 2019.
Best Music Supervision for Film: Budgeted Over $25 Million

Aladdin
Ford v Ferrari
Frozen II
The Irishman
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Source: https://www.gmsawards.com/10th-annual-gms-awards

Aladdin has been nominated for Best Achievement in Costume Design at the Film Art Awards 2019.
Best Achievement in Costume Design

Aladdin
Dolemite Is My Name
Little Women
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Rocketman
Source: https://tfa-awards.wixsite.com/the-film ... vie-awards
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Sotiris wrote:Aladdin got snubbed at this year's Golden Globes. It didn't receive a single nomination. :(
That's a shame. I hope that doesn't reflect its standing at the Oscars.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Maybe but BATB had some pretty major changes of its own. A lot of the songs were executed differently and same with the costumes. Belle's character was certainly not 100% the same and that is also true for Beast and Gaston. LeFou and Maurice are completely revamped and same with the Featherduster and Wardrobe. Mrs. Potts is younger, Cogsworth is married, Chip has a British accent lol. Then plot changes exist like Gaston leaving Maurice to die in the woods, the Enchantress being present, the servants actually becoming full objects at the end, the castle breaking down as rose petals fall, and all the various plot holes that the filmmakers tried to "fix" or add.

I agree about The Lion King. It had a few good points but it really was a waste and there wasn't a single good new song. The characterizations for characters like Scar were really off and even James Earl Jones didn't seem very into it.
Yes, true Beauty and the Beast had changes, I don't know whether Aladdin or Beauty and the Beast would be better to teach the lesson.

I love how the video said the original Jasmine was spontaneous and smart! And I, too, find her spacey look hilarious!

By the way, here is another video, and I think it's great because it talks about all the remakes, but it does address Jasmine specifically at points:
Woke Disney

I just find her wrong about Maleficent "developing" Aurora more. I actually thought Aurora had more personality in Sleeping Beauty.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

JeanGreyForever wrote:That's a shame. I hope that doesn't reflect its standing at the Oscars.
The HFPA only has 90 members, only one of whom is in the Academy (a former actress turned journalist). The Academy consists of about 8000+ voters. They're an interesting bellwether for what might be nominated at the Oscars, but they're entirely two different groups.

I find the guild awards and the BAFTAs are often a better indicator for how Academy members might vote, as there is a much bigger cross section between them.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

estefan wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:That's a shame. I hope that doesn't reflect its standing at the Oscars.
The HFPA only has 90 members, only one of whom is in the Academy (a former actress turned journalist). The Academy consists of about 8000+ voters. They're an interesting bellwether for what might be nominated at the Oscars, but they're entirely two different groups.

I find the guild awards and the BAFTAs are often a better indicator for how Academy members might vote, as there is a much bigger cross section between them.
Thanks for confirming. I'm glad to hear that.
ImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:Maybe but BATB had some pretty major changes of its own. A lot of the songs were executed differently and same with the costumes. Belle's character was certainly not 100% the same and that is also true for Beast and Gaston. LeFou and Maurice are completely revamped and same with the Featherduster and Wardrobe. Mrs. Potts is younger, Cogsworth is married, Chip has a British accent lol. Then plot changes exist like Gaston leaving Maurice to die in the woods, the Enchantress being present, the servants actually becoming full objects at the end, the castle breaking down as rose petals fall, and all the various plot holes that the filmmakers tried to "fix" or add.

Yes, true Beauty and the Beast had changes, I don't know whether Aladdin or Beauty and the Beast would be better to teach the lesson.

I love how the video said the original Jasmine was spontaneous and smart! And I, too, find her spacey look hilarious!

By the way, here is another video, and I think it's great because it talks about all the remakes, but it does address Jasmine specifically at points:
Woke Disney

I just find her wrong about Maleficent "developing" Aurora more. I actually thought Aurora had more personality in Sleeping Beauty.
It's an interesting video about how Disney finds promoting feminism as more lucrative than focusing on race and where they went wrong in the past. I'm glad it seems she despises Maleficent as much as others do, but I also disagree with her that the live-action Aurora was any real improvement over the original. Dumbo factors much into this video which frankly just reinforces my view that I wasn't missing out on anything from not watching it. I might catch it on Disney+ later but I'm even less interested in doing that now.
ImageImage