Aladdin (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Re: Aladdin (Live-Action)

Post by lord-of-sith »

unprincess wrote:Stuff like this is where I worry all of this as an attempt to replace the animated versions.
This has yet to happen with any previous movie, and is certainly not going to start with this one.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

JeanGreyForever wrote:
Previous live-action film designs for Alice, Cinderella, BATB, Dumbo, etc. haven't replaced the animated versions so there's really no fear of that happening to Aladdin either. By this time next year, we won't be seeing any merchandise of the live-action Aladdin. :wink:
yeah but I think those used live action images from the films and promo shots. Exception was for some of the graphic novel adaptations. This and Lion King LA are gonna have a lot of merch with newly made bright cartoon designs based on the new films. But I hope all of you are right. I really don't want the classic character designs replaced.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

New still.

Source: https://www.empireonline.com/movies/new ... ive-image/
When the first look at Smith’s Genie arrived in a teaser trailer in February, the internet responded as it tends to do: with copious memes. From Genie-Shrek hybrids, to Arrested Development ‘I blue myself’ gags, and Papa Smurf Photoshops, there was a slew of images involving Smith's Genie.

But the actor wasn’t hurt by the reaction – in fact, he was tickled by the memes too. “It was very funny,” Smith tells Empire in the new issue. “There was a Sonic The Hedgehog / Genie frog. Everything is under such critical scrutiny. I came up in an era where there was no internet. It’s a new thing that I’m trying to get a handle on.”

By the time the latest trailer came out, with tweaked and improved Genie shots, Ritchie was satisfied that the critics were back on board. “It even came with apologies from the cynics who were so adamant initially,” the director says. “I’ve never seen apologies in that world. I thought, ‘Oh well, great, we’re back to where I’d hoped we’d be.'”
Source: https://www.empireonline.com/movies/new ... ive-image/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:It's really fortunate how good the new songs for the remakes turned out to be. Evermore, Days in the Sun, and now Speechless are among my favorites in the Disney canon. It just goes to show that Menken never lost his touch. He had just been sidelined and underutilized.
I completely agree, he continues to make amazing songs. I wish Disney would realize that and value him more, but yes, we are lucky that at least they're hiring him for the remakes. For me the new songs are the best thing about them. "Evermore" is definitely among my favorite Disney songs as well. I also like "Days in the Sun" very much, and "Speechless" will probably be among my favorites too. And we still haven't listened to the second new song in the movie. :D
Sotiris wrote:I tried transcribing the lyrics for Speechless. Let me know if you notice any mistakes.
Thank you so much! You caught a lot more words than me. There are some parts that are quite difficult to understand, but I think you probably got most, if not all of it right. I really like the lyrics so far and how they show Jasmine can't stand her situation any longer. Naomi Scott also helps to convey it with her performance.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

unprincess wrote:
yeah but I think those used live action images from the films and promo shots. Exception was for some of the graphic novel adaptations. This and Lion King LA are gonna have a lot of merch with newly made bright cartoon designs based on the new films. But I hope all of you are right. I really don't want the classic character designs replaced.
Oh you mean because the past live-action films always used the actors themselves on the merchandise whereas Aladdin and TLK are using cartoon versions of the live-action characters for merch. I agree that this is new for Disney but I don't really think it has any nefarious ramifications. I think the original live-action 101 Dalmatians used to use the cartoon Cruella in the live-action outfits for a lot of storybooks and other items.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

yeah that's what I meant and I do remember how they'd use Cruella from the animated films in the live action merch and the puppies looked like the ones from the animated films too, for the most part(I think some may have had their spots done more like the LA film?) I actually wouldn't mind if they'd do something like that for the LA Lion King and Aladdin merch, like having new LA merch have the animated versions of the characters wearing the new LA costumes, I think that would be kinda neat. But I could also see how it could be confusing.
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

I managed to catch the Disney Cruise preview, a few minor spoilers for those interested...

One Jump Ahead has been given a major pop, Bollywood updated sound-wise. It fits the song well, and works with the action in a great way. The song also now takes place right as Aladdin helps Jasmine escape from the market place after trying to help the starving kids. It’s all there, there’s some new lyrics though nothing major. And it all works fairly well other than a little bit of odd pacing shot-wise. Some of the cave of wonders scene was also shown when the Genie first appears. Definitely it’s own vibe, humorous without all the pop culture, which I think works in its favor.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Thanks for letting us know, nomad2010! What you said eased my concerns about the songs being updated.
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

Sotiris wrote:Thanks for letting us know, nomad2010! What you said eased my concerns about the songs being updated.
No problem! I think you and everyone will be pleasantly surprised. It’s just a poppy orchestration. Very Greatest Showman, but still true to the original and keeps the cultural element as well. I’m excited to hear the soundtrack version for sure.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I'm really excited to hear the new renditions of the songs. Thanks for sharing!
unprincess wrote:yeah that's what I meant and I do remember how they'd use Cruella from the animated films in the live action merch and the puppies looked like the ones from the animated films too, for the most part(I think some may have had their spots done more like the LA film?) I actually wouldn't mind if they'd do something like that for the LA Lion King and Aladdin merch, like having new LA merch have the animated versions of the characters wearing the new LA costumes, I think that would be kinda neat. But I could also see how it could be confusing.
That would be neat actually if they made Aladdin and Jasmine in the new merchandise look more like the animated versions, just with the live-action clothes.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

New still.

Source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/mov ... 477203002/
The animated musical gets the live-action treatment, with Will Smith in the iconic Genie role that Robin Williams made famous, and co-star Naomi Scott feels it’s a perfect marriage of A-list actor and over-the-top character. “Will carries a charisma and an energy that is just true to him,” says the British actress, who plays Princess Jasmine. “There's no one else who could have done this.” Also, don’t sleep on the former Fresh Prince’s musicality, Scott adds. “When you hear the songs and his voice and the way he goes for it, you aren't going to be able to take your eyes off him.”
Source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/mov ... 477203002/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

We have Naomi's A WHOLE NEW WORLD! Gosh, that IS her natural voice! Amazing!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwhXVRqFKDQ/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I love her singing voice! I'm so glad they chose leads who can sing well.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Thanks for sharing! I like the new footage. Hopefully Disney will release these promos and spots on their official accounts soon so we can get a better look.

I like Jasmine and Aladdin's outfits in this scene.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwh5lUgnqq6/
NeverLand
Gold Classic Collection

Post by NeverLand »

This movie is getting better and better!

So excited! :dance:
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Thanks for posting all that stuff, D82! I prefer the international poster over the domestic one. The moon and the blue hue as background suit the composition better. The concept art on the walls is stunning! I hope those pieces are included in the 'Art of' book. I also like the stickers with Jasmine in 2D form. Jasmine's wardrobe looks much better as an illustration than it does in real-life. I wonder why is that. Maybe it's the lighting? In any case, my favorite outfit of hers is the wedding dress. The only reason those dolls look decent is because they're manufactured by Disney Store instead of Hasbro. Hasbro sucks when it comes to dolls.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I agree with Sotiris on the international poster.