Aladdin (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Aladdin (Live-Action)

Post by JeanGreyForever »

At this point, if there really is just one new song, for Jasmine alone, they should have just used "To Be Free" since I'm sure it'll be a lot better than whatever ends up in the final film.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Interview with the actor who plays Hakim (=Razoul) in the movie.
Q: What did you like about the storyline and your role in Aladdin?

Numan Acar: I was, of course, aware of the original story. I was also familiar with the storyline from the 1992 animation film. When I was first offered the role of Hakim, I was not sure if I even remembered him from the original story. But when I spoke to the creatives and read the script I realized Hakim was important to the plot. And of course working with Guy Ritchie was enticing. I was drawn to the impossible love between two different classes. The princess and the street rat. I respected the fact that the producers, director and casting director really tried hard to find actors who could really meet in Agrabah, the place where the story unfolds. It was a very special experience to be on location and seeing all the costumes, make-up, production design, it was incredibly impressive. My character Hakim is the general of the army of Agrabah and the right hand of the Sultan but also the Vizier, Jaffar. The Sultan wants his daughter to get married to the next best prince. The Vizier smells a way to be Sultan and rule the kingdom. So poor Hakim is between these figures and tries to find his place. His main questions in life are power and loyalty. The eternal problem of human existence.

Q: How was the filming with Naomi Scott, Mena Massoud, Will Smith, Billy Magnussen...and the director Guy Ritchie?

Numan Acar: I was so lucky to have had a chance to work with such talented and amazing personalities. Like Naomi Scott. Naomi is a lovely person and has an incredible voice. Mena such a big talent and smart man. Billy Magnussen, is an amazing actor and human being. We had a really great time. On and off screen. He visited me in Berlin, where I live, just a couple of weeks ago and we remain friends. And of course, Will Smith, a gentlemen, polite and friendly to everybody. He enjoys film making and acting. When I see that, in someone who has had such longevity in this business, I know I made the right decision and I am in the right place. Guy Ritchie, I love his films, what a smart filmmaker. That impressed me a lot. He is a timing and dialogues machine. You could make a film about him directing a film, which would be incredibly entertaining,we had so much fun during the shoot. I had a great experience.

Q: Did you watch Aladdin (animated movie) of 1992, before to perform in this movie?

Numan Acar: I didn’t need to. I watched it already so many times. I am a big animation film fan. I watched it with my family several times. It is a rare film that the whole family can sit together and enjoy. I have five brothers and sisters and my parents, lots of different tastes and generation gaps. Difficult to find the right film. Now I am very excited to watch this version of Aladdin again after so many years with my family and the new generation too.
Source: http://www.cinema-movietheater.com/in-e ... -director/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Sotiris wrote:His main questions in life are power and loyalty. The eternal problem of human existence.
Yeah, that's the eternal problem of human existence. :roll: Well if all he otherwise says is really true about how talented the actors and director are, this would be a great film.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Q: What’s the status of the live-action film?

Alan Menken: I wrote some new songs with Benj Pasek and Justin Paul as my lyricists and also rewrote some of the songs from the original. It’s done. It’s just a matter of doing our scoring. We got the score in a few weeks in London, and then a lot of post work (before) it’s coming out May 24. These adaptations are almost like spokes in a wheel, as opposed to being a continuous evolution. Each one is a different telling. So we have one song in particular that’s new to the movie called “Speechless,” which we’re all really excited about. It’s a song for Jasmine.

Q: How was it working with Pasek and Paul? Were they a little star-struck?

Alan Menken: Well, we certainly had fun with me telling them behind-the-scenes stories. We had a lot of laughs. They’re very dear, and they’re incredible talents. I had known about them since they were in college. My daughter went to the University of Michigan and was telling me, “Oh, there’s this team called Pasek and Paul, and they’re really good.” When it was suggested that they collaborate with me on these songs, I said, “Hey, that’s great.” (And they told me) “Also, on the ‘Mermaid’ musical you’ll be working with Lin-Manuel Miranda” — who I also knew of when he was a little boy in New York, through my sister, who was a musical-theater actress, and her daughter went to the same school as Lin. So it’s a whole generation of young talent that I’ve known about as they were coming up, the other one is Bobby Lopez, watching each of them come of age and make an impact on musical theater.
Source: https://www.azcentral.com/story/enterta ... 668465002/
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

There's a rumor going around Instagram that Lily James and Emma Watson have been spotted on the set of Aladdin. Sounds like BS to me and no other sites are reporting it.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Would be funny if they appeared as "cameos" of Belle / Cinderella in one of Genie's scenes respectively (perhaps when Genie is explaining the love rule or when Aladdin is telling Genie about Jasmine), similar to Sebastian and Pinocchio in the original film.

I can only speculate as to how "Speechless" will sound, but sounds like something that could've had a dark reprise (performed by either Jasmine herself or Jafar) during the climax when we see her as Jafar's slave.

This confirms, too, that Miranda was forced on TLM.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney's Divinity wrote:
This confirms, too, that Miranda was forced on TLM.
So apparently Miranda was "forced" on TLM but Pasek and Paul weren't "forced" on Aladdin? Double standard much?
ImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Did I say they weren't forced on him???? No, I did not. Keep your words in your mouth and out of mine.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

All of them were forced. If Menken had any say, he would have picked Tim Rice for the Aladdin remake and Glenn Slater for The Little Mermaid one. It's so disrespectful they didn't even bother to ask him about it or make him part of the decision-making process. They just announced it to him. :roll:
Disney's Divinity

This made me remember in the past when they made some gracious statements about Menken which made me go back further in the thread to look for it (click for that post). I do think it's disrespectful to Tim Rice (while looking, also found this post to when the news was first announced they were put on the film with Menken), but at least they don't act like they're the authority on what Aladdin should be as Miranda has been.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Mooky wrote:There's a rumor going around Instagram that Lily James and Emma Watson have been spotted on the set of Aladdin. Sounds like BS to me and no other sites are reporting it.
The rumor started from a random person's tweet. :embarrassed: It's highly unlikely it will happen but it would be cool if it did.
Ooooh Grace, I just spoke to someone who was an extra for the reshoots of the wedding scene in the live-action Aladdin & supposedly Emma Watson & Lily James were on set!!! Belle & Cinderella coming from their kingdoms to support Jasmine??!! I might cry.
Source: https://twitter.com/metton_chloeee/stat ... 1790462976

Disney's Divinity wrote:At least they don't act like they're the authority on what Aladdin should be as Miranda has been.
Yes, and in my humble opinion, Pasek and Paul are much more talented and versatile songwriters than LMM.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney's Divinity wrote:Did I say they weren't forced on him???? No, I did not.
But you only pointed out Lin-Manuel Miranda, despite Pasek and Paul being mentioned in the same article. And it comes off as even more deliberate since this is the Aladdin thread, not TLM one.
ImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Yeah, because the quote was posted in this thread. Like you or the Cinderella troll give two ****s about staying on-topic in any thread.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Literally no one's mentioned Cinderella here except you, with the exception of the Lily James cameo that Mooky first reported, but I didn't even see it purposeful to comment on that. I mean you literally revived an old post on a dead thread just to troll Cinderella yourself and I'm still not even certain if that post was one you made or someone else wrote.
ImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Good for you, aren't you a saint. :roll: :roll: :roll: Actually thedisneyspirit revived that thread. Just re-reading through it, I laughed at the Britney joke.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I...do not know what's going on. I know Disney's Divinity affectionately is calling me the Cinderella troll, but when I clicked on the links they didn't take me to anything about Cinderella. I thought Divinity was just saying he was off-topic this time like I often go off-topic about Cinderella in general. I don't know what revived thread you guys are talking about.

EDIT: I have learned of the thread in question. I actually laughed! Eh, wrong fun can still be fun.

Anyway, I do not recall Lin ever saying he knew how The Little Mermaid had to be, but just that because he loved it so much he wanted to be a part of it, don't you guys think?

And Divinity stop being so mean to JeanGreyForever!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I would prefer all the original artists to return to the film instead of being booted out (such as Tim Rice), but like Disney Duster said, I don't remember Lin ever saying anything negative about TLM either, just like Pasek and Paul. Frankly, I'm glad Glenn Slater wasn't brought back because Menken's weakest work has been with him (TLM Musical, Tangled).

Lol, thank you for the support Disney Duster. This is just our normal way of interaction it seems and I'm not the only one singled out either.
ImageImage
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Sotiris wrote:
Mooky wrote:There's a rumor going around Instagram that Lily James and Emma Watson have been spotted on the set of Aladdin. Sounds like BS to me and no other sites are reporting it.
The rumor started from a random person's tweet. :embarrassed: It's highly unlikely it will happen but it would be cool if it did.
Ooooh Grace, I just spoke to someone who was an extra for the reshoots of the wedding scene in the live-action Aladdin & supposedly Emma Watson & Lily James were on set!!! Belle & Cinderella coming from their kingdoms to support Jasmine??!! I might cry.
Oh, that's where the rumor came from! And it's only one person reporting it? I'll believe it when I see it lol.
Disney's Divinity

JeanGreyForever wrote:I don't remember Lin ever saying anything negative about TLM either, just like Pasek and Paul.
I didn't say he said anything negative. Again with the inventing nonsense I didn't say.
This is just our normal way of interaction it seems
I guess it will have to be if every thread is going to become a chatroom for you to repeat the same things ad nauseum about B&tB and Cinderella in this thread, and the Little Mermaid thread, and the Mulan thread, and on and on. SSDD. Don't respond to me and I won't respond to you; I've more than made it clear I have no interest in a "discussion" with either one of you.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Mooky wrote:Oh, that's where the rumor came from! And it's only one person reporting it? I'll believe it when I see it.
As expected, it's not happening.
The DisInsider wrote:Need to address this before people start asking me. Emma Watson (Belle) and Lily James (Cinderella) do NOT make cameos in Aladdin.
Source: https://i.imgur.com/JUDPkgZ.jpg