Aladdin (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Aladdin (Live-Action)

Post by ChrisLyne »

Little behind so just seeing Al's Prince Ali look for the first time. I like it, definitely less busy and nicer to look at than his street rat outfit, but wow, I can't believe the stage version looks more opulent and expensive than the live action feature film!

I'm guessing they'll do similar to the stage show - cape and turban for the initial change and Prince Ali parade, then remove them before A Whole New World. Not going to complain if that's the case.

Marketing - I'm beginning to fear this could go the way of Solo. Ok, we got a teaser and poster earlier but I'm still surprised they didn't release something for the Super Bowl. We should get the final trailer next month (in time to be attached to Captain Marvel). I know it's the final trailer plus the TV and poster campaign that really drives awareness for general audiences so it's not too late, but I do wonder how confident Disney is on this one.

TBH I don't think Disney expects this to make a billion like BATB did. Squashing it between Avengers and Toy Story 4 and the lack of marketing kinda suggests they expect less and want to spend less. Could be wrong but that's how it feels at the moment. I think it will do well, probably even surprise people, but I'm not expecting a billion dollar blockbuster (but I'd love to be wrong).

I like most of what they've said so far. It seems to be finding that balance between being it's own thing/not being a carbon copy of the animated movie and not being a total reinvention (like the character butchery of Maleficent). There's a lot of interesting things in the mix, from Ritchie's action to Broadway/Bollywood inspired big dance numbers, so it could be something really unique and special, or it could be a mess. Obviously I'm hoping for the former! What little we've heard from test screenings sounds positive. The first teaser set a good tone. I'm optimistic. Hopefully the main trailer will blow people away and get a more positive buzz going.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Disney did only release a full trailer for "Mary Poppins Returns" in September, three months before its release. I assume it's the same strategy they're pulling with "Aladdin." So I think we're definitely getting a trailer this month, then.

Curiously, all of their summer movies have only released teasers thus far. Although I think with "Avengers: Endgame", that teaser was good enough that they don't need to release another trailer and audiences will still show up by the masses.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Just saw an Aladdin trailer during the Grammy's. I don't know if it's already been shown elsewhere or not, but the movie looks great.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Here's the new trailer (that Disney's calling a "special look"). It looks good overall. Jafar's acting was stiff and flavorless. Will Smith doesn't look good painted blue. It looked really weird to me, especially his body. Was it mo-caped? The face and the body didn't quite match, like they were spliced together in post. I got an uncanny valley vibe from the genie. I think this is proof that some things that work in animation, don't translate well in live-action.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Jafar's acting is really bad. I also don't like how young the actor is. It really takes away from the threatening element of the character.

I don't mind Will Smith's depiction as the Genie here. We only get a shot of him really so maybe he'll look better to other people once they see more of him. It was nice to see the Carpet as well.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

What on earth was Jafar? The blue CGI for the Genie looks extremely fake and glitchy. Even the lava scene looks chappy. All of this is just....

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I think the genie would have looked much better and more natural if it was just paint but they CG-fied him to make him bigger and bulkier and that's why he looks so off. The real footage of his face with the CGI body did not mesh well. It looks particularly unconvincing when he moves his arms.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Not only that, the CGI around his face is so obvious that the mouth looks fake. Even the Cave of Wonders looks extremely black. You would think Aladdin looks great in CGI, but it doesn't. And how could they get Jafar so badly?
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

Sotiris wrote:Here's the new trailer (that Disney's calling a "special look"). It looks good overall. Jafar's acting was stiff and flavorless. Will Smith doesn't look good painted blue. It looked really weird to me, especially his body. Was it mo-caped? The face and the body didn't quite match, like they were spliced together in post. I got an uncanny valley vibe from the genie. I think this is proof that some things that work in animation, don't translate well in live-action.
It’s because the CGI isn’t finished. They just finalized the design not long ago according the director so that’s to be expected. Though why they’d choose a shot that bad, I don’t know. Either way, they released a new still with the Genie where you can see what he’ll look like finalized film in the link below and I have to say I’m really impressed with that. If they can pull it off in time, I’ll have no hesitation.

https://www.slashfilm.com/aladdin-tv-spot/
Pasta67
Anniversary Edition

Post by Pasta67 »

Sotiris wrote:Will Smith doesn't look good painted blue. It looked really weird to me, especially his body. Was it mo-caped? The face and the body didn't quite match, like they were spliced together in post.
You hit the nail on the head for me. The face seems like it's just floating around on its own. It looks unfinished (hopefully it is). Smith's Broadway-show-style "human form" looks infinitely better than the so-called "blue floating lamp form".

Was hoping my feelings on Jafar would change, but nope. Still just a dude in a costume. No presence at all.

Carpet looks great!
- John
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Not only that, the CGI around his face is so obvious that the mouth looks fake. Even the Cave of Wonders looks extremely black. You would think Aladdin looks great in CGI, but it doesn't. And how could they get Jafar so badly?
Yeah, I agree. Mena and Naomi looked really good though (despite their poorly-designed outfits). They're both naturally photogenic.
nomad2010 wrote:Either way, they released a new still with the Genie where you can see what he’ll look like finalized film in the link below and I have to say I’m really impressed with that.
He looks much better in that still. I hope they rework the VFX and the shoddy footage of the genie we just saw doesn't make it into the final film.
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

Sotiris wrote: He looks much better in that still. I hope they rework the VFX and the shoddy footage of the genie we just saw doesn't make it into the final film.
Agreed. I’m really hoping they learned their lesson with the Beast and take the time and effort to make him look 100% believable, instead of on and off uncanny valley.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

Everything about this film looks wrong, cheap, small, fake and ugly. What a waste!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Pasta67 wrote:Was hoping my feelings on Jafar would change, but nope. Still just a dude in a costume. No presence at all.
Which is hard to explain. Jafar is a really fun, meaty, and relatively easy, role. You don't need to be a Shakespearean actor to pull it off. Did they instruct him to play it straight and subdued? Perhaps the director didn't like Jafar being theatrical and broad and decided to take a more "realistic" approach with the character in a misguided attempt to make him appear more formidable and intimidating. :shrug: Naveen Andrews from Once Upon a Time in Wonderland made an immensely better Jafar.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Sotiris wrote:Yeah, I agree. Mena and Naomi looked really good though (despite their poorly-designed outfits). They're both naturally photogenic.
And Abu :P

But, really though. I gasped when Naomi came on. She's beautiful! You can feel her power already. And I can tell Mena has the right charm for Ali. Just hope his singing is good. And that shot of them taking each other's hands is gorgeous. I think Naomi's costume is gorgeous. But, Mena's is cheap.
Sotiris wrote:He looks much better in that still. I hope they rework the VFX and the shoddy footage of the genie we just saw doesn't make it into the final film.
And the CGI actually looks natural and not phoned in. I love the red lighting on him.
nomad2010 wrote:Agreed. I’m really hoping they learned their lesson with the Beast and take the time and effort to make him look 100% believable, instead of on and off uncanny valley.
I honestly thought the Beast looked great. Yes, def CGI, but at least more convincing than Will's face being copied and pasted to a CGI model.
Old Fish Tale wrote:Everything about this film looks wrong, cheap, small, fake and ugly. What a waste!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

disneyprincess11 wrote:But, really though. I gasped when Naomi came on. She's beautiful! You can feel her power already. And I can tell Mena has the right charm for Ali. Just hope his singing is good. And that shot of them taking each other's hands is gorgeous. I think Naomi's costume is gorgeous. But, Mena's is cheap.
Jasmine descending the staircase was a nice shot. I like the color of her outfit but I find it overtly geometrical and needlessly busy, especially the bodice. It's like it was patched together with all the different colors and those lines left and right.

REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

Will Smith looks absolutely ghastly...that "final shot" doesn't look better at all. It's the same dude...same cheap cgi...just larger in size. I'm sorry..but everything thusfar is a NO for me. They butchered the source material. The cave of wonders doesn't even move...it rose out of the dessert...not encased in a wall like here. Jafar has zero appeal as a villain. Jasmine's dress screams out..almost a character onto itself. I really tried to like it...but as I am such a devoted fan of the animated film the only reason I will be watching this is out of sheer curiosity. Disney is stifling creativity by rehashing. Just wait what they will do to The Lion King
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I hate the costumes. I hate the whole look. I don't think Jafar's gonna work. This looks bad. Will probably do bad in theaters.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I'm still hopeful it could be laughably bad, otherwise it's just gonna be boring bad like Beauty and the Beast.
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

Honestly, I liked most of what I saw.

I love the vibrant colours, especially in the brief shot of Prince Ali. Agrabah skyline looked great. Aladdin and Jasmine look good. Even the stripes on Al's shirt, which I hated in the still images, didn't bother me once I saw the costume in motion (holding off judgment on the pants as they were far worse and we don't get a good look at them here). Abu, Rajah and Carpet all look good which gives me faith that Genie will look better in the finished movie. But honestly, I didn't think he looked bad here. Yes, the CGI could be better (I can't believe they've been in post for almost a year and only recently finalized the Genie's look), but he's a big, blue, Will Smith. It's pretty much what I would have expected. Yes, I prefer the human, thanks to the Broadway show, but I can't say I was surprised or disappointed with how he looked in the teaser.

Jafar, yeah, I still can't get how young they made him. I'm guessing it's for a more physical confrontation at the end of the movie but so far I'm not really feeling it. I'm trying not to judge too much on the one line of dialogue we get here as the context is obviously different from the animated movie. As much as I think it's no where near sinister enough, it may play fine within the context of the scene.

Still cautiously optimistic. Hopefully the main trailer will have final (or close to it) CGI and we'll get to hear some of the cast singing. That's what I really want to hear now, and that's when I'll probably start forming a solid opinion either way.