Aladdin (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
megustajake
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Aladdin (Live-Action)

Post by megustajake »

Disney Duster wrote:Saw it again, and it was hilarious that carpet not only builds the castle (which I did notice first time around), but he also throws sand around it in an arc like the pixie dust in the castle openings of Disney movies! Lol
What scene is that in? I missed it both times.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

megustajake wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:Saw it again, and it was hilarious that carpet not only builds the castle (which I did notice first time around), but he also throws sand around it in an arc like the pixie dust in the castle openings of Disney movies! Lol
What scene is that in? I missed it both times.
The scene before Genie turns Aladdin into a prince, when Genie explains the importance of clearly stating what you want in a wish which he illustrates by creating/teleporting a prince to Aladdin. The carpet can be seen in the background creating the Disney castle out of sand.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Interesting. I'll go a second time this weekend, and I'll pay attention to that scene. :)
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

New cover of "A Whole New World" with Alan Menken and several young singers from around the world: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKwzdLGvt78
WarriorDreamer
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WarriorDreamer »

Saw it for first time yesterday. I did quite enjoy the slightly gritty, edgy tone set by Guy Ritchie, though I did worry that it might be too 'gritty' and not have the sense of fun the original had. I don't think Will Smith managed to 'beat' Robin Williams' version, but he did have a unique cool take.

Mena and Naomi were pretty good. Slightly more modern gender ideas with them both. The only real let-down was Jafar. The man who played his guard would have been far preferable since he was older and the actor who played Jafar wasn't particularly menacing or have enough presence.

If it had been him in the role, he would have came across more menacing, much like the original.

I was hoping it would be on the level of Cinderella. Instead I'd say it was about as impressive as Beauty and the Beast. A nice enough remake, but didn't really add a great deal more to the story.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Look out, here comes live action remakes of the direct-to-DVD sequels.
Skyler Shuler @Skylerhxc

Expect a sequel announcement soon!

Don’t expect Guy Ritchie back though.
https://twitter.com/Skylerhxc/status/11 ... 2683195392
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Look out, here comes live action remakes of the direct-to-DVD sequels.
Skyler Shuler @Skylerhxc

Expect a sequel announcement soon!

Don’t expect Guy Ritchie back though.
https://twitter.com/Skylerhxc/status/11 ... 2683195392
I’m totally okay with this. I think this movie knew what it wanted to be, and although the direction was a letdown, it really sets itself up for more in this world.

And I firmly believe the actor who played Jafar could’ve been perfect for the role, but Ritchie’s direction left him little to work with. So seeing him possibly return would not be a bad thing, although I’m sure they have other plans than to do a strict Return of Jafar remake. I’d personally love to see them take the barebones of it and go at it, mixing some deeper mythology from the culture. And who knows, maybe we’ll get some more accurate costumes under another director rotfl
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

If there has to be sequel, I hope it's a musical with Menken involved. It'd be great to have him write a new movie musical from scratch. He hasn't done that since Tangled. Back in the '90s, he expressed discontent he wasn't invited to work on the direct-to-video sequels so I hope Disney makes up for it by hiring him for the live-action sequels and doesn't screw him over again.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

Sotiris wrote:If there has to be sequel, I hope it's a musical with Menken involved. It'd be great to have him write a new movie musical from scratch. He hasn't done that since Tangled. Back in the '90s, he expressed discontent he wasn't invited to work on the direct-to-video sequels so I hope Disney makes up for it by hiring him for the live-action sequels and doesn't screw him over again.
I’d lose my mind if they got him to create a trilogy of these. My guess if if they do a sequel (or sequels), they’ll bring back Pasek and Paul, which I’m not thrilled about for this piece. I think they’re so talented, but their lyrics do not fit a Disney musical where the lyrics are literally the core of the character. At the very least, at least all the music will be cohesive unlike Speechless being the odd one out.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Oh, I'd love for this to become a trilogy--and see more of this cast. I don't know if any sequels would be musicals or not. And, even if they were, I could just as easily believe Disney would dump Menken and use the new songwriters instead.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Looks like Aladdin will make anywhere between $800-900 million worldwide, which puts it on par with The Jungle Book. Like that film, this one lends itself well to a sequel although I wonder how'll they utilize the Genie. If they really want to franchise this, they should consider bringing Will Smith back for the Genies prequel they originally had planned. They could hire other big actors to play more genies or jinns to create more bombastic characters.

I just hope they do a better job with Jafar in the sequel and as others said, I'd love to see more of the Arabian Nights fairytales or mythologies to be utilized (maybe giving Jafar an Egyptian background and utilizing characters like Anubis or Bastet). I also hope the sequel would feature lots of big musical numbers and dance sequences.
ImageImage
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I am relieved the film is a box office success as I really liked it and was hoping we’d get to return to Agrabah. It’s been so long since I’ve watched the DTV sequels that I have no memory of them. I do hope that the sequel remains a musical. It was delightful seeing all those wonderful production numbers on the big screen.

Was/is there not serious talk that Beauty and the Beast will get a sequel, too? When I rewatched that film recently, I thought perhaps they could retcon Gaston’s death with the Enchantress saving him from his fall but cursing him as she did the Prince. But Gaston ends up terrorizing the village and doesn’t get a redemptive arc— it’d be more like a werewolf story. Well, that’s what I’d like anyway. It’d be a nice little nod to Cocteau’s film, too.

And God knows The Lion King is going to break the box office. I could actually see them directly remaking The Lion King II.
Disney's Divinity

I think there was something that came out about how they really want to make a sequel to B&tB, but it’s just harder to figure out what to do with. I think they had an idea of Gaston becoming the “new” Beast, but Emma Watson as Belle would still be involved somehow although that would be weird. Not sure how it could work really. If they were to go with it, I wouldn’t mind a sequel where the Beast (Dan Stevens) is struggling not to relapse into being a spoiled brat or something along those lines, with possible small effects of the Curse showing itself at moments, or maybe a drama about how if he causes Belle to fall out of love with him, he might be returned to his cursed state or something. *shrug*

Doubtless any sequels to these films would be roasted for inferior soundtracks if they feature music. Although, come to think of it, they could re-purpose other songs already-written for the property for different plots in some way or another. “High Adventure,” “Proud of Your Boy,” “Desert Moon,” “These Palace Walls,” etc. Maybe sparingly reprise a few of the songs from the first film here or there. Somehow I doubt they'd follow plots of the horrible DTV sequels, even if Aladdin's and TLK's weren't as bad as others. I would love to hear "Out of Thin Air" re-used even if it didn't involve Menken/Ashman/Rice.
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

Very happy at the potential sequel news. Actually a little disappointed Guy Ritchie won't be coming back. He seemed like an odd fit but he really made it work and surprised a lot of people.

Musically I can see it being Menken, Pasek & Paul. Let's be honest, it's worth a sequel for a new Menken score alone. Whilst Speechless may not have fit as smoothly as Rice's work did (I think Menken made it work by seeding the theme into the score so it didn't come out of nowhere), a sequel has the benefit of them all starting from ground zero so it will have a cohesive feel and tone.

Story wise, they definitely set up Jafar's return with his dialogue as he got sucked into the lamp, but any sequel will be VERY different from the animated ones simply because of what happened with Genie (and removing the wedding from any potential KoT adaptation). As others have said, they could take bits from both and rework them into something new.

There's definitely some stuff I'd love to see them expand on it the sequel - like why did Jafar hate Jasmine's mother's kingdom? He mentioned spending five years in jail there so maybe we'll get some of that history, or even see that kingdom, in a sequel. Plus, he's a genie now, there's no need to play it "real" like he did in the first movie. He can go big and over the top, which is exactly what he needs.

Plus every time I see the film I wonder about Genie and the founding of Agrabah. Genie says he's been in the lamp for a thousand years, which seems a deliberate change from ten thousand, and Sultan says Agrabah has a thousand year history. Maybe just pure coincidence but I've love to know if Genie was there and played any role.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Is it just me or has Aladdin been the best received remake by Disney fans? At least the Disney fans on this website— most everybody seems to have liked, or mostly liked the film. Perhaps The Jungle Book gives it a run for its money.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

On here it seems to be the most liked remake since there's been equal amounts of praise and dissent for previous ones like Alice in Wonderland, Maleficent, Cinderella, The Jungle Book, Pete's Dragon, Beauty and the Beast, and Dumbo.

Outside of this forum, critics seemed to most love Pete's Dragon and The Jungle Book. However, through social media such as Tumblr, Twitter, Reddit, and YouTube, the most beloved remake tends to be either Cinderella or The Jungle Book. Beauty and the Beast to a lesser extent but it gets a lot of flack for mischaracterizations, poor costumes, autotuned singing, meaningless plot changes and additions, as ewll as the acting abilities of the main cast, especially in comparison to Aladdin now. Half of the comments for Speechless are trash talking Emma Watson for example.
ImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Aladdin seems to be fairly well-received at least by audiences and successful at the box office to boot, unlike MPR, Cinderella, Pete’s Dragon, Alice’s sequel, and Dumbo, which all did either poorly or meh, I guess? I’m not sure if it’s being received too differently from B&tB and TJB though. Of course, can’t overlook that the critics are tearing into it either unlike the two of those—albeit unfairly.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Still on the train that Cinderella was unsuccessful at the box office huh. All those other films you mentioned were considered commercial flops or disappointments for Disney with the sole exception of Cinderella. Yet, you believe that people will buy into your revisionist history just because you have an axe to grind even four years later. It's one thing to dislike a film but to blatantly lie about its success is just tiring at this point for the rest of us.
ImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Still on the train that Cinderella was unsuccessful at the box office huh.
Well, he did say performed "poorly or meh" which Cinderella did. It was a modest success. But let's not derail the thread any further.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I am in agreement with JeanGreyForever and would call it more successful than meh. That's all I'll say.