Aladdin (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Aladdin (Live-Action)

Post by D82 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:The overuse of Beyonce in that ceremony is why I thought they'd want to bring her back here and give her the spotlight again, especially after how prominent Lady Gaga was last year (and rightfully so). I'm glad they didn't go that route.
I'm glad too. I guess the producers of the show would've loved her to be nominated, but they have some other really famous performers this year, so they don't really need her this time to help with the ratings. By the way, just out of curiosity, for what performances do you think Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie weren't deserving of being nominated?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

D82 wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:The overuse of Beyonce in that ceremony is why I thought they'd want to bring her back here and give her the spotlight again, especially after how prominent Lady Gaga was last year (and rightfully so). I'm glad they didn't go that route.
I'm glad too. I guess the producers of the show would've loved her to be nominated, but they have some other really famous performers this year, so they don't really need her this time to help with the ratings. By the way, just out of curiosity, for what performances do you think Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie weren't deserving of being nominated?
I'm surprised they didn't nominate something from Cats either for Taylor Swift to appear.

It was the movie The Tourist (2010). It was critically panned but Depp and Jolie were nominated for Golden Globes for their performances (not Oscars as I originally thought). There was a lot of controversy over that and online, everyone says they were only nominated to boost ratings.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:It was the movie The Tourist (2010). It was critically panned but Depp and Jolie were nominated for Golden Globes for their performances (not Oscars as I originally thought). There was a lot of controversy over that and online, everyone says they were only nominated to boost ratings.
I had forgotten they were nominated at the Golden Globes for that film. I agree with you, those nominations weren't deserved at all. Though, to be fair, looking at the films nominated in the Musical or Comedy category that year (three of them have a rotten score on Rotten Tomatoes: The Tourist, Alice in Wonderland and Burlesque), it probably wasn't a good year for those types of movies, so that might've been a factor too. Either way, I've also heard they've been accused of doing that several times. And it could be true because unlike the Academy, which has thousands of members, they're a really small number and it would be easier for them to speak among themselves and plan who to vote.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

D82 wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:It was the movie The Tourist (2010). It was critically panned but Depp and Jolie were nominated for Golden Globes for their performances (not Oscars as I originally thought). There was a lot of controversy over that and online, everyone says they were only nominated to boost ratings.
I had forgotten they were nominated at the Golden Globes for that film. I agree with you, those nominations weren't deserved at all. Though, to be fair, looking at the films nominated in the Musical or Comedy category that year (three of them have a rotten score on Rotten Tomatoes: The Tourist, Alice in Wonderland and Burlesque), it probably wasn't a good year for those types of movies, so that might've been a factor too. Either way, I've also heard they've been accused of doing that several times. And it could be true because unlike the Academy, which has thousands of members, they're a really small number and it would be easier for them to speak among themselves and plan who to vote.
Yeah they've done stuff like this loads of times which is why the Golden Globes don't have as credible a reputation as the Oscars for example. Can't believe Alice in Wonderland was nominated for Best Picture lol.
ImageImage
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow Alice in Wonderland as Best Picture! Lol
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Aladdin was Japan's third highest-grossing film of 2019, surpassing The Lion King and Toy Story 4. :shock:
Makoto Shinkai's Weathering With You was the biggest hit of the year in Japan, with the director's follow-up to smash hit Your Name pulling in $129 million. It was a bumper year for Disney, which released the four top-grossing imports, led by Frozen 2 with $117 million, Aladdin pulling in $111 million, Toy Story 4 taking $92.5 million and Lion King, which brought in $63 million in Japan.
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... 19-1274000
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Wow, I'm really psyched for how well Aladdin did in Japan (and other international box offices). Japan loves Frozen so Aladdin coming so clear is a really good sign although I've also heard that Frozen II didn't do as well as the original Frozen in Japan.

Love how they practically dismissed The Lion King in comparison to Frozen, Aladdin, and Toy Story, although the latter three are franchises that Japan absolutely loves and markets the hell out of.
ImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I'm glad Weathering with You, Frozen II, and Aladdin were the top 3.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Aladdin has been nominated for the Razzie Redeemer Award at the Golden Raspberry Awards 2019.
Razzie Redeemer Award

Eddie Murphy — Dolemite Is My Name
Keanu Reeves — John Wick 3 & Toy Story 4
Adam Sandler — Uncut Gems
Jennifer Lopez — Hustlers
Will Smith — Aladdin
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists ... s-1267859/
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Good for Will.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Good for Will! Can’t say I’m disappointed because that would be rude, but l have to say that I’m shocked the guy who was Jafar in the live Aladdin wasn’t nominated for a Razzie. :o
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

The Razzie voters don't actually watch the movies they nominate. It's just a $40 fee to join and the nominees often just go for easy targets.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

estefan wrote:The Razzie voters don't actually watch the movies they nominate.
Isn't that true of all award voters? You can never truly know if members have actually watched the movies they nominate.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Aladdin has been nominated for two Kids' Choice Awards.
Favorite Movie

Aladdin
Avengers: Endgame
Captain Marvel
Jumanji: The Next Level
Spider-Man: Far From Home
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Favorite Movie Actor

Chris Evans — Avengers: Endgame
Chris Hemsworth — Avengers: Endgame, Men in Black: International
Dwayne Johnson — Hobbs & Shaw, Jumanji: The Next Level
Kevin Hart — Jumanji: The Next Level
Tom Holland — Spider-Man: Far From Home
Will Smith — Aladdin
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists ... 11-1279205

Aladdin has been nominated for a Webby Award.
General Video (Variety)

The Late Show With Stephen Colbert: Stephen Has a Story
Behind the Scenes of Aladdin Crosswalk the Musical w/ Will Smith
Leonardo DiCaprio & Quentin Tarantino Break Down Once Upon a Time in Hollywood’s Main Character
Best Interview Ever: Gaten Matarazzo
If I Could Tell You Just One Thing
Source: https://www.webbyawards.com/press/press ... announced/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Aladdin has won Best Film Music at the BMI Film, TV & Visual Media Awards 2019.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Financial analysis for Aladdin.
Aladdin cost more than Disney’s 2017 feature live-action adaptation of Beauty and the Beast, $185M to $160M before P&A, even though the genie’s overall global costs were slightly lower at $455M compared with Beauty‘s near half billion. Overall difference? Beast made more with $912.5M in all global theatrical, TV and home entertainment revenues to Aladdin‘s $811M. Participations of $25M were mostly collected by Ritchie and Smith. Interest here at $30M is the amount figured on production costs; essentially when a studio looks at their own profitability, it includes an allocation for their borrowing costs. Net profit for Aladdin was $356M versus Beauty and the Beast‘s $414.7M.
Source: https://deadline.com/2020/04/aladdin-mo ... 202915385/
Disney's Divinity

They both did enormously well. Somehow I don't see the new TLM doing as well as the other three of the Fab Four, unfortunately, just like the Broadway show flopped because of horrible casting / design, too. I actually think TLM is a more simplistic, basic story than the other three, which makes the fact that they keep flubbing it pretty amazing.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

This is interesting. The screenwriter for the remake, John August, who also happens to be a songwriter, had written songs for the film before Menken came on board.
In the case of Corpse Bride, John August worked directly with Danny Elfman and shares a writing credit on the songs. “What I’ve classically done, I just write the songs and I know the songs are going to get swapped out at some point… The same thing happened with Aladdin. I wrote some new songs and then Alan Menken swapped them out.”
Source: https://www.laughingplace.com/w/article ... ter-hours/
Disney's Divinity

I wonder why they would've had another composer working on the Aladdin re-make? At least he's humble enough to realize his work was going to be thrown away as soon as Menken came aboard.
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I wonder why they would've had another composer working on the Aladdin re-make? At least he's humble enough to realize his work was going to be thrown away as soon as Menken came aboard.
To be fair, while Alan Menken is a composer while the other guy is mentioned to be a songwriter. Alan Menken could have partnered with him if he wished (and Disney allowed, that is)