Aladdin (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Aladdin (Live-Action)

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh wow, thanks JeanGreyForever! I'll have to read those links later. Farerb, I hate to say it, but with Aurora it seemed to me like she felt helpless and unable to make the choice to go with whom she loved over her duty as a princess.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Disney Duster wrote:Oh wow, thanks JeanGreyForever! I'll have to read those links later. Farerb, I hate to say it, but with Aurora it seemed to me like she felt helpless and unable to make the choice to go with whom she loved over her duty as a princess.
I have to agree with this reasoning. I never felt it was as much out of duty as much as Aurora realizing that there was nothing she could do about it. I've always been curious to see what her reaction would be like if she hadn't been put under the spell by Maleficent and thus Phillip never came back to the castle because he was still in the forest/cottage. They wouldn't be reunited at this point, so how would Aurora take to meeting her parents if all had gone to the fairies' plan? Would she still be weeping? And would her parents sympathize upon learning why she is so miserable?
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I think we all have a lot to say on the Princesses, and I want to chime in but feel bad about hijacking the Aladdin thread, so I'm going to post on Disney Princess Criticism - What's Your Opinion?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32716
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Here are several links from fanpop about Aurora. A lot of them probably start to regurgitate the same information but I posted the main ones I found in case you're interested. The top one is about the classic princesses so you might find some interesting insight on Snow White and Cinderella as well.

http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/disney-prin ... perfection
http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/disney-prin ... t-mary-sue
http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/disney-prin ... ove-aurora
http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/disney-prin ... ra-updated
http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/disney-prin ... ra-college
https://www.fanpop.com/login?redirect_u ... aurora-1-3
http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/disney-prin ... ves-aurora
Interesting read, are there more articles like those about the other princesses? Especially Cinderella and Belle?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Is that news though? Because we've already seen her hairstyle before.
Considering we've only seen her with this hairstyle in illustrations, I'd say yes. This is the first photo of Naomi where she's sporting the hairstyle. None of the trailers or stills released so far had shown her with this hairdo.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I'm reading Steve Hulett's book Mouse in Orbit, and I'm at the part about Aladdin. Andreas Deja talking about when he first started on Jafar reminded me of how people are saying live-action Jafar doesn't seem menacing enough.
Andreas Deja wrote:The more scenes I animated, the more I found out that the character works best by holding him back: small gestures, little things like that. He would rub his finger on his cheek, rather than being extravagant in gestures. And the more I held him back, the scarier he got and the more he contrasted with the other characters, who were more bouncy and animated.
[Hulett, Steve. Mouse in Orbit. Theme Park Press, 2018.]
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Sotiris wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:Is that news though? Because we've already seen her hairstyle before.
Considering we've only seen her with this hairstyle in illustrations, I'd say yes. This is the first photo of Naomi where she's sporting the hairstyle. None of the trailers or stills released so far had shown her with this hairdo.
But isn't the hairstyle the exact same one she was sporting in earlier released images? It looks the same to me but maybe there's some detail I'm missing.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

JeanGreyForever wrote:However, at least with Mulan, I've heard Chinese audiences criticize her a lot. Beyond her general appearance, they have a huge issue with how westernized she is. They complain about the scene at the end when Mulan wonders if she really ran away to join the army just for her father's sake or if she actually did it for herself as well. Chinese audiences said that a real Chinese person would never have this dual purpose and would only have run away with the sole purpose to protect one's parent. They also felt that she displayed undesirable traits like cheating to meet the matchmaker, although Fa Li got equal criticism for learning about this but not more seriously admonishing Mulan.
You know, I really think this is awful of China. That they would try to brainwash their entire culture to think one way. Everyone has a unique soul that thinks differently than everyone else, so Mulan wouldn't be the same as every Chinese person ever, she would think on her own, and maybe think about herself in addition to thinking of her father.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote: You know, I really think this is awful of China. That they would try to brainwash their entire culture to think one way. Everyone has a unique soul that thinks differently than everyone else, so Mulan wouldn't be the same as every Chinese person ever, she would think on her own, and maybe think about herself in addition to thinking of her father.
It does seem a bit rigid, but I suppose China doesn't approve of one of their most nationalistic heroes being so westernized to the point that she goes against core Chinese values. I do find it hard to believe though that in all of history, there would never be people in China who would try and rebel against the status quo because there is always some sort of dissenter in any time or culture.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, exactly!
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

blackcauldron85 wrote:I'm reading Steve Hulett's book Mouse in Orbit, and I'm at the part about Aladdin. Andreas Deja talking about when he first started on Jafar reminded me of how people are saying live-action Jafar doesn't seem menacing enough.
Andreas Deja wrote:The more scenes I animated, the more I found out that the character works best by holding him back: small gestures, little things like that. He would rub his finger on his cheek, rather than being extravagant in gestures. And the more I held him back, the scarier he got and the more he contrasted with the other characters, who were more bouncy and animated.
[Hulett, Steve. Mouse in Orbit. Theme Park Press, 2018.]
That's definitely the case; the scariest Jafar gets--to me--is in the opening with the Cave of Wonders, where the character's more reserved. Maybe part of it has to do with Jonathan Freeman's voice carrying so much power that adding exaggerated expressions to the character, too, would way overdo it.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

This is slightly off topic, but I wondered if anyone has a copy of / Disney has released the film version of 'A Whole New World' ? The one that I have about a billion copies of from various Disney compilations / Aladdin soundtrack is the piano - led soundtrack copy, rather than the beautiful orchestral version as heard in the film.

I wondered if this version has ever been released anywhere before ?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Atlantica wrote:This is slightly off topic, but I wondered if anyone has a copy of / Disney has released the film version of 'A Whole New World' ? The one that I have about a billion copies of from various Disney compilations / Aladdin soundtrack is the piano - led soundtrack copy, rather than the beautiful orchestral version as heard in the film.

I wondered if this version has ever been released anywhere before ?
Not that I know of. Maybe if a Legacy Collection is ever released.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

That's what I was thinking ! But looks like the Legacy collection is dead now, so probably won't ever happen ... so annoying, always wanted to own it, and always wondered why Disney Records only have the studio version.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

New still.

Source: https://www.empireonline.com/movies/new ... ive-image/
“In the original movie, it felt like [Jasmine] didn’t have as compelling a goal,” producer Dan Lin tells Empire. “Her main aim was to find the love of her life. In this case, the romance is important, but she also wants to see more of Agrabah, and take more of a leadership role in ruling the city. Her character has a much stronger journey.”
Source: https://www.empireonline.com/movies/new ... ive-image/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I'm sorry what now ?! :x

She literally says "If ( big emphasis on if ) I do marry, I'd want it to be for love". That is in no way her main goal, her main goal is to absolutely avoid an arranged marriage at all costs !

Honestly, when will Disney / their reps / creative teams redoing all their Classics understand that you truly DON'T have to bash the original plot / characters / story or whatever. They can all exist in harmony, just because this is your 'fresh take' doesn't guarantee that it is in any way better. Not at all.
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

"We didn't like it because it's animated."

That's all you guys need to say. No extra B.S. No basing your claims on foggy memory. Just come out and say you prefer live action and better yet, make your own live action movie instead of "improving" on the cartoons.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

For a desert kingdom, there seems to be a lot of greenery and shrubbery.
Atlantica wrote:I'm sorry what now ?! :x

She literally says "If ( big emphasis on if ) I do marry, I'd want it to be for love". That is in no way her main goal, her main goal is to absolutely avoid an arranged marriage at all costs !

Honestly, when will Disney / their reps / creative teams redoing all their Classics understand that you truly DON'T have to bash the original plot / characters / story or whatever. They can all exist in harmony, just because this is your 'fresh take' doesn't guarantee that it is in any way better. Not at all.
Precisely. This film is probably going to be as forgotten as the live-action BATB will in a few years and decades from now, there'll be making another one anyway.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

JeanGreyForever wrote:For a desert kingdom, there seems to be a lot of greenery and shrubbery.
Yes! I was thinking...what's with the flowers? Lol
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

Dan Lin needs to really stop talking about animated Jasmine and her goals. He fails every time he opens his mouth on the issue. At least he's only a producer and hopefully just saying what he thinks will get audiences interested rather than what the writing/creative team actually thought of the original film.