Aladdin (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Aladdin (Live-Action)

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:By the way, in the video description of the trailer it still says the movie has two new songs, though I'm not sure if this confirms anything or not. Maybe they just copied and pasted the same text from previous trailers without checking it.
I sure hope so. In a new article but old interview from the time EW was invited to unveil the first look at the film, Guy Ritchie said there are two new songs in the film. Fingers crossed they didn't cut the number in post-production.
Guy Ritchie never made a musical before Aladdin, but he knew just how important the songs were to fans of the original 1992 Disney animated classic. “Clearly people are very attached to the original songs and clearly that’s part of the DNA, so we didn’t really want to stray from the original stuff, just an embellishment with a couple of new tracks,” the director told EW as part of an exclusive first look at his upcoming live-action film.

Ritchie and the cast teased a couple of new songs being added into this film, composed by Alan Menken and featuring lyrics by La La Land songwriters Benj Pasek and Justin Paul. One will be a lullaby near the beginning of the movie, while another will be a solo song for Jasmine. Ritchie added that the new songs are “marginally shifted” to reflect societal changes that have taken place in the two decades since the animated movie came out. “We’re 26 years later, the world moves on, so there is a shift, which is just an unavoidable aspect of time,” the filmmaker said. “But essentially the soundtrack’s the same, just somewhat embellished with a couple of new tunes in it.”

As he revamped the music of Aladdin for a new generation, Menken said Ritchie brought his very own distinct style to the film. “It’s a Guy Richie musical,” Menken told EW. “It’s got a lot of his style of, as he puts it, he’ll take a moment and throw a hand grenade into it. It’s like he explodes it. And yet it’s very, very much Aladdin. It’s really been a push-and-pull to keep his style and yet also the Disney…what’s expected by the audience.”
Source: https://ew.com/movies/2019/03/12/guy-ri ... tion-film/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

lord-of-sith wrote: I am 99% sure that scene is a giant Iago, not a phoenix. Looks like a big action scene is Iago becoming very large and chasing after them.
More likely that Jafar turns Iago into a phoenix to chase after Aladdin. We know it's a phoenix because of merchandise. Actually clever to have Jafar do that, because it means Iago could never be killed for good.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

A little nitpicking, but Abu appears to be a capuchin monkey, which only lives in South America. Aladdin lives in an Arab country. So where did he get his hands on the monkey?
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Illegally imported? I can even conceive a side plot where he once was owned by a prince trying to impress jasmine with his wealth. Aladdin saw he wasnt being taken care of properly and rescued him. Bam, partners in crime for life.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:I sure hope so. In a new article but old interview from the time EW was invited to unveil the first look at the film, Guy Ritchie said there are two new songs in the film. Fingers crossed they didn't cut the number in post-production.
Thanks for sharing. I hope so too.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Kyle wrote:Illegally imported? I can even conceive a side plot where he once was owned by a prince trying to impress jasmine with his wealth. Aladdin saw he wasnt being taken care of properly and rescued him. Bam, partners in crime for life.
Could be a flashback or a made-for-TV spinoff.
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
lord-of-sith wrote:More likely that Jafar turns Iago into a phoenix to chase after Aladdin. We know it's a phoenix because of merchandise.
I feel like I missed this. Where was the phoenix merchandise revealed? Thanks!
WillytheDino
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WillytheDino »

@ChrisLyne
Sotiris wrote:Official merch for the live-action film. It looks like Jafar is going to transform to a bird (a phoenix?) in addition to a cobra.

Source: https://www.hottopic.com/product/disney ... 69225.html

Source: https://www.hottopic.com/product/disney ... 69236.html
'All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.' - Walt Disney
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
lord-of-sith wrote: I am 99% sure that scene is a giant Iago, not a phoenix. Looks like a big action scene is Iago becoming very large and chasing after them.
More likely that Jafar turns Iago into a phoenix to chase after Aladdin. We know it's a phoenix because of merchandise. Actually clever to have Jafar do that, because it means Iago could never be killed for good.
I mean...that giant bird in the trailer looks like a parrot to me...or else I wouldn't necessarily have suspected it to be Iago.
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

Thanks @WillytheDino
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I could see it looking like either a phoenix or a parrot. The former is likely because of the red coloring though. The Arabian Nights stories also feature mythological birds called rocs (found in the Sindbad stories and even the Aladdin TV series) so maybe Iago gets turned into something like that as well.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

We got Speechless!! Idk what to make of the song, but Naomi is amazing!!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvDHgfCFt9X ... jcdq7yfnzq
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Even from that low-quality snippet, I can tell I'm going to love this song! :D It sounds more Pasek & Paul than Menken but I'm here for it! The soundtrack can't come soon enough!
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

Sotiris wrote:Even from that low-quality snippet, I can tell I'm going to love this song! :D It sounds more Pasek & Paul than Menken but I'm here for it! The soundtrack can't come soon enough!
I’m hoping maybe we’ll be surprised by the composition and it’ll have that Menken magic too. Even as is from the vocals though, it’s gonna be a memorable song, and that’s a great sign.

Wild guess, but that shot of Jasmine turning around in the purple outfit in the trailer outdoors has gotta be from the song.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Very different from what I had imagined, but I like it.
nomad2010 wrote:Wild guess, but that shot of Jasmine turning around in the purple outfit in the trailer outdoors has gotta be from the song.
That's what I thought, too.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

That song sounds like it will be incredible! Yes, doesn't sound very Menken. Truly more Pasek and Paul like Sotiris said. But I love them and I really like how it sounds so far.
NeoSuperBlissey
Gold Classic Collection

Post by NeoSuperBlissey »

I've already decided never to see this film. Don't get it twisted: I am a Will Smith fan going back to the "Fresh Prince" days; and I liked Naomi Scott as Kimberly in the 2017 Power Rangers film; but from what I've seen from the trailers so far, they've turned this beloved classic into a FUBAR SNAFU*, if you know what I mean....

PS: "FUBAR"= (see here), "SNAFU": (See Here)
Last edited by NeoSuperBlissey on Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

NeoSuperBlissey wrote:I've already decided never to see this film. Don't get it twisted: I am a Will Smith fan going back to the "Fresh Prince" days; and I liked Naomi Scott as Kimberly in the 2017 Power Rangers film; but from what I've seen from the trailers so far, they've turned this beloved classic into a FUBAR SNAFU, if you know what I mean....
Yeah, the film looks cheap, but I didn't expect anything else from Guy Ritchie.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Nice poster. I liked it.