Aladdin (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Aladdin (Live-Action)

Post by Disney Duster »

A book all about the making of this movie is coming April 30th!!!

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Making-Aladd ... 683836820/
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

The other live action remakes' books also had chapters on the animated films; not this time around?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Strange, but maybe because Aladdin (1992) already has a definitive making-of book unlike Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty's respective animated films which never had any before the books featuring the live-action releases.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Strange, but maybe because Aladdin (1992) already has a definitive making-of book unlike Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty's respective animated films which never had any before the books featuring the live-action releases.
That's true. I have the Aladdin book from years ago; I'm just being greedy!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

At least with a new edition, they'd have the opportunity to actually include Robin Williams' name, unless the part of his will that restricted Disney from using his Aladdin outtakes for 25 years also meant they couldn't acknowledge his work.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Naomi Scott talks a bit about her character in a new article and in this video:
On accepting the role of Jasmine, she tells Vogue: “I saw her as a young woman, not a teenager, with a mature strength that can cut you down. So I said to them, ‘Just to let you know, I want to play her strong, and if that’s not what you’re looking for, that’s OK, but it’s not for me.'"
Source: https://www.vogue.co.uk/article/naomi-s ... cover-star
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

What little we've seen of the film so far, I definitely see the strength she's brought to the character. Particularly in these two pictures that were posted prior:
Sotiris wrote: Image
As I was scrolling through to find that second picture, I again saw the cast breakdown that was posted in the past that revealed Jasmine assumes the throne when the Sultan dies prior to Jafar's attempted coup. I just wanted to say that I think that was a really good choice, imo, and I hope it's in the finished film. First, Jafar acts when the kingdom is at a moment of weakness (the transfer of power + a woman in charge likely being uncomfortable and controversial to the other power figures). And it builds on the tension that's already between Jasmine and Jafar from the animated film, mainly that scene when he lies to her about Aladdin having been beheaded; Jafar knows he wouldn't be able to skirt around her like he did her father and would most likely be ousted. Going by that interview with the actor playing the army general, Jafar will likely try to get the military on his side in his attempt to depose Jasmine. Perhaps the Sultan's death and Jasmine's ascension happens at / replaces the part in the original film when Razoul and the guards attempt to drown Aladdin and Jafar mesmerizes the Sultan to force Jasmine to marry him, in other words this is Jafar's first takeover plan before he has the lamp and nobody can stop him.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

^Thanks for the heads up! Looking forward to it.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

I'm nervous for them! I honestly didn't think Genie looked that bad last time. But after what happened I really want this to look amazing.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I think the best strategy would be for them to not show the genie in his blue form anymore. It's something that will polarize people no matter what they do. They don't need a blue genie to wow people. They just need to play up all the other great aspects of the film and deliver an impressive trailer by making use of those elements.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

The person who described clips from upcoming Disney movies shown at the last Disney shareholders meeting also answered some questions about the Aladdin footage. Among other things, he says the blue Genie looks better now and that, from what he remembers, Aladdin does wear a turban when he's Prince Ali.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

D82 wrote:from what he remembers, Aladdin does wear a turban when he's Prince Ali.
That's great to hear. I hate whenever I have to watch GMA for a trailer or artist's performance, because the show goes on and on and on, and I never know when what I want to see will actually happen. Regardless, I can't wait to see the trailer! :D
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:The person who described clips from upcoming Disney movies shown at the last Disney shareholders meeting also answered some questions about the Aladdin footage.
Thanks for sharing that. I'm going to quote it here in case it gets deleted.
Aladdin looked really good. The clip had brief glimpses of several scenes. Carpet scenes looked good. We saw big blue Genie, regular size blue Genie, and not blue Genie. Big Blue Genie would be the jumbo size version when Aladdin rubs the lamp in the Cave of Wonders as in the trailer released publicly. We also saw him jumbo sized during parts of Friend Like Me, just like in the animated film. Normal size Genie is just human sized Genie (aka Will Smith size). We saw a scene at a distance looking out and down on Aladdin and Genie side-by-side looking out towards Agrabah (I think that's what it was). The cool part was Genie didn't have legs and instead his lower half was like smoke as what comes out of the lamp all sparkly and magical looking. Yes, not-blue Genie looks just like Will Smith does in real life. The first photo published by EW showed him and Aladdin under a tent or something in the sand sitting and talking. They showed us a bit of that scene and Aladdin is talking to Genie about making him a prince.

We did hear Aladdin and Jasmine speak. She and Aladdin were talking, and he says something along the lines of "I thought a princess could go anywhere" and she replies "not this princess". We saw Aladdin ask her if she trusts him while inviting her to step onto the carpet. Also Genie and Aladdin talking while he is Prince Ali. Genie says something about now's the time to go talk to her, Aladdin stops and says he's the boss and will decide when it's time and Genie makes a motion with his hand and Aladdin moves backwards against his will away from Genie towards Jasmine's direction, and Aladdon says something like "Really?" and then he slowly turns round to face that direction.

We did see some quick scenes from Prince Ali and Friend Like Me. I recall the Friend Like Me scene showed those big disembodied Genie hands (that dance with Genie in the animated film) working smaller versions of Genies like marionettes.
Mmmadelon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mmmadelon »

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The theatrical poster and the theatrical trailer have finally been released!

Source: https://twitter.com/disneyaladdin/statu ... 5690671104

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv4Nq3NncNQ/
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

Genie looks much better, the singing sounds great, the all the effects look miles better, the action looks good. I'm really happy with that trailer! Love the brief glimpses of the Broadway show inspired dance numbers, plus what looks like a really good adaptation of Friend Like Me. Seems incredible after last month, but I think they might have pulled this off!
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

No, I rather they keep the drowning scene. it's the only scene I'm looking forward to.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

The poster looks awesome! But that trailer, omg! :D It's so beautiful. Jafar's outfit is great, and I think he looks and sounds so much better than in the Special Look clip they released a month ago. The CGI and visuals are top-notch, and I love that they gave us a glimpse into the film's songs. Will Smith's Genie is awesome (I liked how he looked in the Special Look clip too, to be honest). Finally, we're able to hear Aladdin and Jasmine talk (their chemistry is so nice). I'm super looking forward to seeing what they'll do to The Lion King after seeing this.
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

thedisneyspirit wrote:No, I rather they keep the drowning scene. it's the only scene I'm looking forward to.
Looks like that's still in there. There's a shot in the trailer of Aladdin, hands and feet bound, falling towards the water.