Aladdin (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Aladdin (Live-Action)

Post by Sotiris »

Will Smith Says He Was Terrified to Play the Genie in 'Aladdin' After Robin Williams' Performance
https://www.etonline.com/will-smith-say ... erformance

The Apprentice candidate Kurran Pooni is appearing alongside Will Smith in the Aladdin reboot: ‘It was an amazing experience’
https://metro.co.uk/2018/11/07/the-appr ... e-8115917/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Lamp prop at the CCXP 2018.

Source: https://twitter.com/colliderfrosty/stat ... 8205253632
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I hope we can see the magic carpet's design soon too.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I wonder if the handle on the lamp is supposed to represent the genie's smoke tail.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Looks very nice...I'm not too frond of the logo, though. Maybe it's because I'm accustomed to the animated film's one.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Talking to Marc Malkin at the GQ Men of the Year party, Massoud first described what it was like to work with Will Smith, who is playing a real life genie. “It was amazing. [Will’s] one of the most generous, grounded people in the industry,” Massoud says. “I’m just so lucky, megastar that he is.”

As for the new sounds that Disney is adding to the world of Agrabah, “We’ve got all the original music in there, plus a couple of new songs,” Massoud explains. “They’re really empowering. I gotta say one is very empowering for women, I think people are going to really, really dig it. The other one is awesome as well. We got the same guys who did ‘La La Land’ and ‘The Greatest Showman,’ we’re in good hands.”

But the biggest change could simply be the fact that this cast is made of flesh and bone and not line animation. “It’s live action,” Massoud says. “So you get to look into people’s eyes and see what they’re feeling and feel connected to them. And Will’s playing the Genie so that’s a little different too.”
Source: https://variety.com/2018/film/news/alad ... 203083803/
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Naomi talks about Jasmine!
Aladdin’s Jasmine is set to hit our screens all over again in the new live-action remake from Disney – and she will be a little different from how fans of the original animation might remember.

Naomi Scott, who is bringing the character to life, told The Hollywood Reporter: “Being a female character is also about being a real person, and guess what? [She] can be strong and have fun, but also get it wrong and be emotional.

She’s a multidimensional woman, and she doesn’t have to just be one thing. So in this movie, you see her go on such a roller coaster, as opposed to her one goal being to fall in love or get married.”

This Jasmine also has clear political drive. “You really get in this adaptation of the movie that her heart is for her people, and her main objective is what’s best for her kingdom,” Scott said. “And you really get a sense that she has those leadership qualities within her.”

But the biggest change for Jasmine is the introduction of a female, human confidante for her in the form of new character Dalia, a handmaiden Nasim Pedrad is playing. “I never realised it, but in the animation, Jasmine is really the only female character — isn’t that crazy?” Scott said. “The Dalia character is so important to this movie because she’s the only other female character. She may be the handmaiden but they’re best friends; they’re so close because they’ve grown up together. So we wanted people to watch the movie and see Jasmine’s relationship with another woman, and be like, ‘Ah, that’s what I’m like with my girlfriend,’ or ‘We would so do that if I was in that position.’ That’s something that’s missing from the animation.”

While there will be some changes, though, one thing remains a constant: once again, the independent princess is going to sneak into Agrabah in search of adventure in a whole new world.
https://www.stylist.co.uk/fashion/disne ... a-heroine/
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I think exploring her leadership qualities isn't really a large deviation from the animated film. She gave an apple to a starving child, which showed she does care about the people. I still love the little bit after Jafar makes himself Sultan and tells them to bow to her: her father immediately starts to bow while she says, "We will never bow to you." She always had more of a spine than her father, and they focus more on her role as leader in the TV series. I'm glad they're bringing that out more for the live-action film.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I don't really see how this "new" Jasmine is really any different from the original animated one anyway as pointed out, but I am glad for the introduction of another female character since that really does stand out. The first four DP films had female villains while Sleeping Beauty and BATB had female sidekick characters but Aladdin lacks in both of those categories, especially since the mother character was cut.

Also was that interview new because I swear I remember reading one exactly like that months ago?
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Also was that interview new because I swear I remember reading one exactly like that months ago?
You're right. That's an old, 2017 interview which had been posted on page 11 of this thread.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Japanese teaser poster and teaser trailer. I can't believe the Japanese trailer features even less footage than its American counterpart. That's a first! :lol:

Source: https://twitter.com/disneystudiojp/stat ... 3768924160

Disney released a poster to celebrate the Chinese New Year.

Source: https://twitter.com/DisneyD23/status/10 ... 0199491584
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It was really disrespectful and ungrateful of Disney not to hire him as the lyricist. Heck, even a position as a consultant would have been something. They always replace their creative people when someone shiny and new comes along. I hate this exploitative practice of theirs. They treat the people who contributed greatly to their success like they're worthless and disposable.
Sir Tim Rice wrote:Saw clips of upcoming Aladdin movie yesterday with the legend that is Alan Menken. Obv being self-centered most interested in my songs but I concede the whole pic is looking good.
Source: https://twitter.com/SirTimRice/status/1 ... 0107271168
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

Sotiris wrote:It was really disrespectful and ungrateful of Disney not to hire him as the lyricist. Heck, even a position as a consultant would have been something. They always replace their creative people when someone shiny and new comes along. I hate this exploitative practice of theirs. They treat the people who contributed greatly to their success like they're worthless and disposable.
Sir Tim Rice wrote:Saw clips of upcoming Aladdin movie yesterday with the legend that is Alan Menken. Obv being self-centered most interested in my songs but I concede the whole pic is looking good.
Source: https://twitter.com/SirTimRice/status/1 ... 0107271168
I do think at certain times it’s been disrespectful to not bring certain people back on for these live action remakes. However, in this case I’m okay with it. Why? Menken hasn’t written a truly great song since the mid-90’s, with the exception of Enchanted maybe. The lyrics are always awful in these new songs, and so clunky. Evermore for example wasn’t a terrible piece of music, but the lyrics were pretty putrid in my opinion. And let’s face it, Rice is the one who gave us the infamous “every moment red letter” line.

Disney also knows that none of these new songs are winning Oscars... so it’s time to switch things up.

I think Disney feels they need the standard Menken sound, but fresh lyricists to help him get back to that former glory he used to reach with Ashman, though nothing will ever reach those heights. Plus Pasek and Paul have fresh eyes, are huge Disney fans, and are great at crafting catchy tunes... something Menken’s work has not been in more than a decade.

My GUESS is also that this is a trial run for new projects with Pasek and Paul working with Menken. I wouldn’t be surprised if we get an animated film with that exact team announced in the next few years, dependent upon how these songs turn out.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I vehemently disagree on your opinions regarding both Menken and Rice but it doesn't matter. The perceived quality of the work is irrelevant because it's inherently subjective. Key creative staff of a project should always be involved in a derivative work, whether that's a sequel, a remake, a TV series or a stage adaptation, provided those people are able and willing. It's a matter of principle to me.
Disney's Divinity

I don’t think anything nomad said is true, but that’s neither here nor there. The overlying point is they're remaking the film because it was successful--in part thanks to Menken, Ashman, and Rice. If they want to try out new songwriters, they should pick a project that is new, not force them onto an already-finished piece to disrespectfully "add" to something they are in no way equal to without any regard to the original talent.
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

Sotiris wrote:I vehemently disagree on your opinions regarding both Menken and Rice but it doesn't matter. The perceived quality of the work is irrelevant because it's inherently subjective. Key creative staff of a project should always be involved in a derivative work, whether that's a sequel, a remake, a TV series or a stage adaptation, provided those people are able and willing. It's a matter of principle to me.
No worries. I do agree in certain regards to some projects. I think the issue here is that Disney is seeing these as “adaptations.” It’s the same as one production of Hamlet being totally different than another. Or even a standard Hollywood remake. You don’t bring in the original writer to work on those. I think they’re trying to give their directors the freedom of creativity any director should have on a film. What we’re running into over and over again is a fundamental misunderstanding of the source material in the first place... a la the changes made for Beauty and the Beast’s adaptation. Woolverton would’ve clearly don’t a better job because she knows the character a more than anyone. It’s a balancing act between blind loyalty to source material and allowing for a fresh interpretation. And I do agree, if they’re wanting to create big, majestic classics that will live on, them they should bring back some of the original creative team at least in a some form for guidance.
Disney's Divinity

This film (like B&tB and TLM) are adaptations of the ‘90s films, which comes with the soundtracks. It’s no different than a different version of a musical to me. You can change a lot of things, even omit songs, but adding new material is still disrespectful to me without the original composers involved in their creation. If you’re going to do that, you should discard the original soundtrack and have the new talent create a new soundtrack from the ground up.
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:This film (like B&tB and TLM) are adaptations of the ‘90s films, which comes with the soundtracks. It’s no different than a different version of a musical to me. You can change a lot of things, even omit songs, but adding new material is still disrespectful to me without the original composers involved in their creation. If you’re going to do that, you should discard the original soundtrack and have the new talent create a new soundtrack from the ground up.
I get that! I kind of wonder if this isn’t happening because of Ashman not being alive today. Aladdin brought in Rice. So maybe they feel they didn’t need to be loyal to him since he wasn’t part of the original, so maybe they didn’t feel loyalty was necessary for him? And I often wonder too how much of this is the directors choice, and how much is the studios.
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

This "disrespect" isn't exactly new. I can't remember where I heard this (I think it maybe was "The Boys"?) but the Sherman brothers actually pitched songs for The Little Mermaid but were beaten out by Ashman & Menken who up until that point, hadn't done much of renown but the soundtrack for Little Shop of Horrors (the movie) whereas the Sherman brothers had written tons and tons of songs for Disney like for The Jungle Book, Winnie the Pooh, The Sword in the Stone, Mary Poppins, Bedknobs & Broomsticks, theme park attractions, etc.

I know that's a bit of an apples/oranges comparison (Menken and Ashman weren't coming in an adding songs to say Bedknobs and Broomsticks) but in my opinion even the Sherman Brothers had some duds among their work. Like everyone knows A Spoonful of Sugar, and very few people know Higgitus Figitus or a Step in the Right Direction.

As much as I love Alan Menken's work (I actually liked the songs from Tangled but would concede they aren't as brilliant as those for The Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast or Aladdin) I don't personally think it stems from a place of hatred that Disney is trying out new talent like Pasek and Paul or Shaiman and Wittman.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:You can change a lot of things, even omit songs, but adding new material is still disrespectful to me without the original composers involved in their creation. If you’re going to do that, you should discard the original soundtrack and have the new talent create a new soundtrack from the ground up.
I completely agree.
nomad2010 wrote:My GUESS is also that this is a trial run for new projects with Pasek and Paul working with Menken. I wouldn’t be surprised if we get an animated film with that exact team announced in the next few years, dependent upon how these songs turn out.
nomad2010 wrote:I kind of wonder if this isn’t happening because of Ashman not being alive today. Aladdin brought in Rice. So maybe they feel they didn’t need to be loyal to him since he wasn’t part of the original, so maybe they didn’t feel loyalty was necessary for him?
Both things are possible. But, as others have said, I think they should've given Pasek and Paul a new project and hired Tim Rice for the Aladdin remake.