Aladdin (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Aladdin (Live-Action)

Post by ChrisLyne »

Would be a dream come true.

I really wanted them both to do the Whole New World cover for the end credits. They sounded so good together still when they did it for GMA for the last Blu-Ray release. And a proper recording of Brad singing Proud of Your Boy is something I've wanted since Music Behind the Magic.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:I have an inkling the digital release of the instrumentals and the cut song weren't planned from the start. That it was something done as an afterthought due to the film's unexpected success. I seriously doubt we would have gotten them had the movie underperformed.
I think you might be right, because releasing both of these things now seems a bit unusual. I guess they've realized they can make more money with products related to the movie now that it's a success.
ChrisLyne wrote:I've pretty much given up on Dan Lin's Jasmine comments at this point :lol:
I completely get that they have updated Jasmine and improved her character arc for this film, and I applaud them for that. I loved what they did and Jasmine becoming Sultan. But there's no need to repeatedly misrepresent the original to try and emphasis that change.
Yeah, that's the worst part. I don't understand why he has to lie about Jasmine and her motivations in the original film.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

I think it was planned all along. The movie is about to release on blu ray and whatnot, its the perfect time to release more material.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

D82 wrote: Yeah, that's the worst part. I don't understand why he has to lie about Jasmine and her motivations in the original film.
I don’t believe he’s lying outright. He doesn't come off scripted or deliberately malicious. He probably needs to watch the original again is all. Still, I thank God he isn’t on the same wavelength as this board or Jasmine would still be a dud of a character in 2019.

"Desert Moon" is beautiful. I'd love for Kane and/or Salonga to sing the new songs from this and the Broadway show, but I've felt the same about O'Hara and "Home" / "A Change in Me," Jodi Benson and "Beyond My Wildest Dreams," and Pat Carroll and "I Want the Good Times Back" (although I'd die to hear her sing cut songs like "All Good Things Must End," "Wasting Away," or even "Silence Is Golden"). Unfortunately those haven't happened and I doubt Aladdin will be a different case. :(
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

D82 wrote: Yeah, that's the worst part. I don't understand why he has to lie about Jasmine and her motivations in the original film.
It's par for the course when it comes to most of these new remakes. If they felt that Belle wasn't progressive enough for the 21st century, then it's no surprise that they felt the need to revamp Jasmine. At least Jasmine's arc was still natural in the remake unlike Belle getting shoehorned in with being an "inventor" or living in a village that refuses to educate women. I can't even imagine what they'll do to Ariel now.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

You dont have to, they made her black, which already feels like shoehorned diversity for the sake of it.
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
D82 wrote:I don’t believe he’s lying outright. He doesn't come off scripted or deliberately malicious. He probably needs to watch the original again is all. Still, I thank God he isn’t on the same wavelength as this board or Jasmine would still be a dud of a character in 2019.
Yeah, it's probably misremembering rather than maliciously lying (but still not a good look when you're the producer).

Agree to disagree on the original being a dud, but I thought most here liked the way Jasmine was adapted for this movie? It's a natural progression that adds to the story without detracting from other character's arcs. That's pretty much a perfect way to do it.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I never had a problem with the way Jasmine was portrayed in the original or her character arc considering she's not the protagonist or even the deuteragonist (I know some will disagree with me on that but in my opinion that's the Genie, not Jasmine). I felt her arc in the remake was forced and unimaginative.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

farerb wrote:I never had a problem with the way Jasmine was portrayed in the original or her character arc considering she's not the protagonist or even the deuteragonist (I know some will disagree with me on that but in my opinion that's the Genie, not Jasmine).
Agreed. Jasmine's a supporting character. A lot of people seem to forget that. Maybe it's because of her association with the DP franchise. I find she has more of a personality and a character arc than her male equivalents in other Disney movies such as Prince Eric. Yet no one ever criticizes them.
Kyle wrote:You dont have to, they made her black, which already feels like shoehorned diversity for the sake of it.
Perhaps now that she's Black she'll be spared of other updates to the way she's portrayed. I really don't want an Ariel who's an inventor or some other nonsense. :roll:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Sotiris wrote:I find she has more of a personality and a character arc than her male equivalents in other Disney movies such as Prince Eric. Yet no one ever criticizes them.
Don’t they? I read criticism of Eric and the Walt princes for being bland all the time. I know I’ve specifically compared Jasmine and Eric to one another before, on account of the fact that TLM and Aladdin have so many similarities, as far as both being bland love interests and both barely being worthy of the protagonists, who are much more interesting and worthwhile than they are.

Jasmine and Eric both have marriage plots, too, now I think of it. Of course, the difference is Eric can laugh Grimsby and the obligation off, whereas Jasmine is always going to be forced to marry at some point by the Sultan. Both Eric and Jasmine are enslaved by the villains, too, but Jasmine is much more sexualized and humiliated by Jafar than Eric is by Ursula. And ultimately Jasmine has no part in defeating Jafar, while Eric is solely responsible for defeating Ursula.

I’ll be fine with changes to Ariel, at least with how the ending resolves itself. The character deserves to play some role in conquering her own, self-created problems. Besides, from the cast they’re cobbling together, TLM isn’t going to be too faithful anyway. They can at least make Ariel a more powerful heroine in the 2nd half if they’re going to mess everything else up anyway.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I don’t believe he’s lying outright. He doesn't come off scripted or deliberately malicious. He probably needs to watch the original again is all.
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. What I meant is that the things he says about the animated Jasmine are not true, but I also believe he just hasn't seen the original in a long time.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

ChrisLyne wrote: Agree to disagree on the original being a dud, but I thought most here liked the way Jasmine was adapted for this movie? It's a natural progression that adds to the story without detracting from other character's arcs. That's pretty much a perfect way to do it.
Most of us here do like the live-action Jasmine. The complaints were just directed at how the animated version gets dismissed by the makers of the film in comparison to Naomi Scott's portrayal which isn't really fair.
farerb wrote:I never had a problem with the way Jasmine was portrayed in the original or her character arc considering she's not the protagonist or even the deuteragonist (I know some will disagree with me on that but in my opinion that's the Genie, not Jasmine). I felt her arc in the remake was forced and unimaginative.
D82 wrote: Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. What I meant is that the things he says about the animated Jasmine are not true, but I also believe he just hasn't seen the original in a long time.
Sotiris wrote:Agreed. Jasmine's a supporting character. A lot of people seem to forget that. Maybe it's because of her association with the DP franchise. I find she has more of a personality and a character arc than her male equivalents in other Disney movies such as Prince Eric. Yet no one ever criticizes them.
I'm glad to see all the support for the animated Jasmine, because she is easily a stronger character than all the princes before her, save for Beast who is a co-lead (if not the true protagonist of the film). Compare Jasmine to Eric, the best developed classical prince at the time, and she's not only got loads more screentime but also far more personality and presence. Even with the introduction of the Genie, the film makes sure to keep pulling back to her perspective so that she's never lost in the narrative and the endgoal of the film is always to unite Aladdin and Jasmine and provide some sort of personal freedom for both characters.

Actually, I'm surprised she's as strong and developed a character as she is in the final product considering how much material was deleted or modified. Originally she was meant to "run away" to seek help for her father when she recognized that he was being hypnotized. Then she was never supposed to have a second crying scene where she's in her room and the Sultan has to come and comfort her. She was supposed to confront the Sultan and demand that Jafar pay for what he's done. And in the finale, while Aladdin was fighting Jafar, she was supposed to free herself from the hourglass.
Sotiris wrote: Perhaps now that she's Black she'll be spared of other updates to the way she's portrayed. I really don't want an Ariel who's an inventor or some other nonsense. :roll:
For some reason, the live-action films really seem to favor inventors between Mowgli, Belle, and Clara (from The Nutcracker and the Four Realms) all being saddled with this side-story. The only character it felt genuine with was Mowgli considering he's a human with opposable thumbs living in an animal kingdom.
ImageImage
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

JeanGreyForever wrote: For some reason, the live-action films really seem to favor inventors between Mowgli, Belle, and Clara (from The Nutcracker and the Four Realms) all being saddled with this side-story. The only character it felt genuine with was Mowgli considering he's a human with opposable thumbs living in an animal kingdom.
Ditto Colin Farrell's daughter in "Dumbo", who kept being called a scientist at the expense of any further character development.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

estefan wrote: Ditto Colin Farrell's daughter in "Dumbo", who kept being called a scientist at the expense of any further character development.
Lol, Disney really loves this trope then. I assume a large part of its recurrent use is the fact that they want to appear progressive and push more girls into the sciences but it really comes across as manufactured in most cases. Except for, ironically, the one film where it was a male inventor (Mowgli).
ImageImage
Disney's Divinity

ChrisLyne wrote: Agree to disagree on the original being a dud, but I thought most here liked the way Jasmine was adapted for this movie? It's a natural progression that adds to the story without detracting from other character's arcs. That's pretty much a perfect way to do it.
It's always hard to tell. Most here seemed to react positively to the new Aladdin, but whenever the subject of Jasmine becoming a powerful character comes up, people get resentful and angry for whatever reason as if someone spit in their eye. I'm starting to wonder now if the only reason the TJB re-make seems to generally never be spoken bad about is because there are no major female characters in the film for people to feel like they should still be acting as if they walked out of the '60s when the original was made. But then, even if there were, the feminist movement began in the '60s, didn't it? So I guess they'd have hated those characters even if they were appropriate to the time the film was made. :lol:

I imagine how horrible it is for a company (playing the smallest violin here :wink: ), only focused on profit and not with right / wrong, to know what decision to make with these re-makes. At least when there's no possibility of winning, they sometimes choose to do the right thing purposely, and I give Disney props on this rare occasion that they have.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I thought The Jungle Book remake was boring. While I didn't like the forced Jasmine arc, I thought Jasmine and Naomi Scott were the best part of the film. Honestly I didn't really like the film like most people here, it is still a terrible film in my opinion, and I don't have any desire to watch it again.
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^Thanks for sharing! That's more or less how I had imagined it would be.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Here's a recording of the full "Desert Moon" deleted scene. It was screened during "The Musical Journey of Aladdin" panel at the D23 Expo. I'm glad we got a digital release of "Desert Moon" because the song is shorter in the deleted scene.
Last edited by D82 on Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

farerb wrote:I thought The Jungle Book remake was boring. While I didn't like the forced Jasmine arc, I thought Jasmine and Naomi Scott were the best part of the film. Honestly I didn't really like the film like most people here, it is still a terrible film in my opinion, and I don't have any desire to watch it again.
^^^^It just wasn't a funny film, which is the biggest crime for a film remaking a comedy.