Aladdin (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Re: Aladdin (Live-Action)

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I really loved it. I think the professional critics are just suffering from remake fatigue— which is understandable, but this movie doesn’t deserve their ire. It has issues— the characterization of Jafar is a little scatterbrained, one moment cold and calculating, the next cartoonishly out of control. The Speechless reprise should have either been rewritten or removed because it stops the action dead in its tracks. But the actors are well cast (Will Smith seemingly achieves the impossible by, ever so often, putting Robin Williams out of your mind). the musical numbers fun to watch, and the story expanded on in meaningful and not superfluous ways. It’s the first of these remakes that had made me say, “Oh, I want to see that again.” Well done.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Alan Menken reveals "Desert Moon" was the first song they wrote for the remake and explains why "Speechless" is divided into two parts in a new interview:
"The first [new] song we wrote actually was a duet for Aladdin and Jasmine," he admits. "It was called ‘Desert Moon.' It was a lovely song (though it wasn't used in the final film). Then we wrote "Speechless," and that really created a new agenda to make sure story-wise we were supporting that aspect of the plot and also stylistically we were playing the appropriate themes in the score."

The song also had to land at the right point in the movie, and it actually appears twice, with the second part being the film’s climax. "If it came too early it wasn’t earned, and if we placed the whole song late, it was too late for it. We found it was best to do it in two parts," Meken explains.
Here are more interviews with him:

‘Aladdin’ Sings a New Tune: How Will Smith, Alan Menken and Pasek & Paul Updated a Beloved Song Score
https://variety.com/2019/music/news/ala ... 203225518/

Legendary Composer Alan Menken on Returning to ‘Aladdin’ and His Favorite Disney Song
http://collider.com/aladdin-alan-menken-interview/

Alan Menken Interview: Aladdin
https://screenrant.com/aladdin-2019-ala ... interview/

And with other members of the cast and crew:

From playing SNL's Princess Jasmine to starring in Aladdin, Nasim Pedrad reflects on her full-circle role
https://ew.com/movies/2019/05/25/aladdin-nasim-pedrad/

Meet 'Aladdin's' hot new Jafar
https://ew.com/movies/2019/05/24/aladdi ... hot-jafar/

Emmy-Winning Production Designer Gemma Jackson on Bringing Disney’s ‘Aladdin’ to Life
http://collider.com/aladdin-gemma-jackson-interview/
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I disagree with Menken. Speechless part 2 came out of no where, killed the momentum and could have been cut. I actually think one song at the beginning would have been much preferable. There's a reason why few movies have songs in the third act with the exception of a reprise at the end of the movie.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Mooky wrote:One thing my friend group noticed was that they toned down the sensuality of the original. The balcony kiss is not as steamy as it was in the original, Aladdin and Jasmine are dressed more modestly (so no sex slave red outfit), and there's no kiss with the villain.
It's also noticeable in the drowning scene. In the original he's chained and gagged at night just after his passionate kiss with Jasmine, while here it's much more downplayed. The original is infamous for having a certain kinky quality.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I saw it and loved it! Or if not loved it, really enjoyed it! I liked how Aladdin and Jasmine were portrayed. Perfect. The genie was well-done. I even liked what they were trying to do with Jafar, though, yes, he needed to be more of a presence. I didn't mind the fast-forwarding or slowing down, but whatever. I don't remember any flashbacks that showed what had just happened, rodrigo_ca, other than Aladdin realizing it was Jafar who he ran into in the streets towards the end when Jafar took the lamp which was not just a flashback but showed something we hadn't seen before so it was necessary to me. I liked "Speechless" and didn't think it stuck out in a bad way. I just needed a more menacing Jafar, snake Jafar, "Desert Moon", and some darn soul that none of these remakes have, and maybe a better director, and maybe it would have been perfect. I think this was the best remake. This or Cinderella. And yes, I know I'm biased. :P
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

I loved the movie!!! And I'm so glad it's doing so well at the box office! :up:

I've noticed that in this "Special look" of "Speechless", they're showing some deleted footage from "Desert Moon". I really hope they're including that scene on the blu-ray...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlRCsfzXAVk&t=1s
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I'm really curious about Desert Moon because they have so much Jasmine merchandise from that scene, second to only her turquoise outfit, that clearly it was cut late in the film's production and must have been pivotal. It's also a shame that we don't even get to look at Jasmine's dress in that scene in the film, with the exception of a headshot.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

The clip from "A Whole New World" has been released in English: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzUZVacgyJI

bruno_wbt wrote:I've noticed that in this "Special look" of "Speechless", they're showing some deleted footage from "Desert Moon". I really hope they're including that scene on the blu-ray...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlRCsfzXAVk&t=1s
It's true! I didn't notice Jasmine was singing in these shots when I watched that featurette.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Songwriters Pasek and Paul reveal they actually wrote three new songs for the remake in a new interview. The third one was a solo number for Jafar:
“Speechless” is one of three new songs Pasek and Paul wrote for Aladdin, but the other two didn’t make the final cut. (They might make an appearance on the home video release.) One of the eliminated songs was a solo number for Jafar that Pasek and Paul say “fell away pretty early in development” but would have been part of the extended opening number of “Arabian Nights.” The other track was “Desert Moon,” a duet crafted for Aladdin and Jasmine to take place after Aladdin is captured by Jafar and doesn’t show up to the midnight palace courtyard meeting he arranged with Jasmine.

“Alan wrote a really beautiful piece of music and we were really thrilled to get to write some lyrics for it; both [Massoud and Scott] sound amazing on it,” Paul says. “It’s a really beautiful song, and we do hope that people will get to hear it, but it’s one of those things where the pacing of a musical and getting to the action, there just ended up not being room for it.”
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I love how the deleted songs might make an appearance in the home video release. That's certainly reassuring.

As for Jafar's song, we've seen footage of him singing so that explains that.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I would have liked Jafar's solo to be in, too.
Mooky wrote:Another thing I liked was the absence of infantile, sickeningly sweet humor and characters (ugly fairies in Maleficent or the mice in Cinderella). They could have done it with Abu but thankfully didn't.
Aw, I loved the mice. And they saved the day.
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:I love how the deleted songs might make an appearance in the home video release. That's certainly reassuring.

As for Jafar's song, we've seen footage of him singing so that explains that.
I’m kind of wondering if this won’t be the movie to get an Extended Edition, simply because of the love the crew and cast have for the film and the clear abundance of extra material.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

nomad2010 wrote: I’m kind of wondering if this won’t be the movie to get an Extended Edition, simply because of the love the crew and cast have for the film and the clear abundance of extra material.
This is something I was secretly hoping for but didn't expect would amount to much since Disney seems so against extended editions these days. I'd love for the song to be reinserted especially after all the positive reception towards Naomi and Mena's singing voices, plus their chemistry. I'm not sure what Guy Ritchie's take on director's cuts is though.
ImageImage
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Why don't they put the deleted songs on the soundtrack ? It can't be that hard; it must have been final mixed and so on for them to have filmed the scene ?

They did it for Tangled; When Will My Life Begin ( Reprise 1 ) isn't in the film, but is there and in place on the soundtrack. And as far as I'm aware, they didn't even animate the scene fully of where it was supposed to go ! So it can be done.
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

Glad to learn Jafar did sing at one point! That explains that shot in the behind the scenes video. And EW saying the songs might appear on the home release gives me a lot of hope, especially after the positive reception the movie's received. EW tends to have a bit more weight than a fan site speculating.

Nice to have confirmation of where Desert Moon went as well. Honestly, as much as I want to hear the song, I can understand why they thought the pacing at that moment worked better without it (I reserve permission to totally change my mind when we get to hear the song rotfl )

As for why they didn't put them on the soundtrack, I don't think Disney had a lot of confidence in the movie. I'd love to be wrong, but they didn't give it a deluxe soundtrack like they did Beauty and the Beast, despite it being a musical as well (which is where the delete songs and demos would have been). And it's probably why they gave it a rough slot in the release schedule (sandwiched between Avengers and TS4 with lots of competition on a weekend that's traditionally a low earner). I mean, can you imagine them giving Lion King a slot where it would lose its IMAX screens after 1 week? I'm not sure if it was the movie or the brand in general (remember the stage show was originally intended for licensing not Broadway and only went to Broadway due to fan demand) but Disney always seems to underestimate Aladdin's potential.

I would LOVE there to be an extended cut but I'll be happy with deleted scenes as well.

What I really want is for it to reach the $750/800million mark worldwide. That's still going to be a push but it would put it firmly in sequel territory if it can make it. Now, Disney's live action sequels haven't got a strong track record, but I'm all for anything that will give me a new Menken score and songs.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

ChrisLyne wrote: As for why they didn't put them on the soundtrack, I don't think Disney had a lot of confidence in the movie. I'd love to be wrong, but they didn't give it a deluxe soundtrack like they did Beauty and the Beast, despite it being a musical as well (which is where the delete songs and demos would have been).
I noticed the absence of a Deluxe this time around. I'm sure you're right. For whatever reason, Disney has treated Aladdin with less reverence the past few years.
What I really want is for it to reach the $750/800million mark worldwide.
Me, too. I'd love if it cracked a billion like B&tB or just nearly like TJB, but maybe that's too much to hope for with so much competition out at the same time. I don't know why there would be less nostalgia for this film than B&tB and TLK though. :(
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

D82 wrote:
Mooky wrote:(I just realized the song may have been inspired by the "You're speechless I see? A fine quality in a wife" line from the original.)
Yes, it was inspired by that line. The songwriters have confirmed it in interviews.
Oh alright. Thanks for the confirmation!
thedisneyspirit wrote:
Mooky wrote:One thing my friend group noticed was that they toned down the sensuality of the original. The balcony kiss is not as steamy as it was in the original, Aladdin and Jasmine are dressed more modestly (so no sex slave red outfit), and there's no kiss with the villain.
It's also noticeable in the drowning scene. In the original he's chained and gagged at night just after his passionate kiss with Jasmine, while here it's much more downplayed. The original is infamous for having a certain kinky quality.
Hahaha, I guess that is true. I feel like the original is one of the few if not the only Disney film where the leads have palpable sexual chemistry.
Disney Duster wrote:
Mooky wrote:Another thing I liked was the absence of infantile, sickeningly sweet humor and characters (ugly fairies in Maleficent or the mice in Cinderella). They could have done it with Abu but thankfully didn't.
Aw, I loved the mice. And they saved the day.
Yes, but they could have been less annoyingly sweet. The mice in the original aren't nowhere near as cringeworthy as the ones in the remake. Maybe because animation makes it easier to accept.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

The oddest thing is that they had that band record their version of A Whole New World for Brazil, and it's used on the album, but it's not heard on the credits. Instead we had Zayn singing with one of the members of the band (Gabriela Melim), which they didn't release anywhere. Sometimes it's hard to understand Disney's reasoning
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Mooky wrote: Yes, but they could have been less annoyingly sweet. The mice in the original aren't nowhere near as cringeworthy as the ones in the remake. Maybe because animation makes it easier to accept.
I really don't understand this criticism because the mice are barely in the film. They don't have enough screentime to be considered sickeningly cloying.
ImageImage