Aladdin (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Aladdin (Live-Action)

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks for watching! I feel like Halle Bailey was Disney's "response" to race after I heard what she said in that video. Yes, I feel like Aurora was actually less of a character in Maleficent. Dumbo is...well, I would never really reccomend it. You're not missing anything, lol. I liked it, but I really do not reccomend it.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Glad to hear I'm not missing out then. I will eventually check the film out on Disney+ but there's no hurry after all.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:Aladdin has been nominated for Best Production Design in a Fantasy Feature Film at the Art Directors Guild Awards 2019.
Fantasy Feature Film

Ad Astra
Aladdin
Avengers: Endgame
Dumbo
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
Source: https://adg.org/awards/adg/nominees/2020/

Aladdin has been nominated for Excellence in Sci-Fi/Fantasy Film at the Costume Designers Guild Awards 2019.
Excellence in Sci-Fi/Fantasy Film

Aladdin
Avengers: Endgame
Captain Marvel
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
Source: https://costumedesignersguild.com/award ... 2019-2020/
Curious that all the films nominated in those categories are from Disney.

estefan wrote:The HFPA only has 90 members, only one of whom is in the Academy (a former actress turned journalist). The Academy consists of about 8000+ voters. They're an interesting bellwether for what might be nominated at the Oscars, but they're entirely two different groups.

I find the guild awards and the BAFTAs are often a better indicator for how Academy members might vote, as there is a much bigger cross section between them.
You're right. And also, the HFPA tends to favor songs performed or written by artists who are very popular, like Beyoncé or Taylor Swift this year, so personally, I wasn't surprised "Speechless" was snubbed. I hope it makes at least the shortlist that the Academy will publish tomorrow.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

"Speechless" has been shortlisted for Best Original Song at the Oscars. Fingers crossed it gets nominated.
Music (Original Song)

Aladdin — "Speechless"
The Black Godfather — "Letter to My Godfather"
Breakthrough — "I'm Standing With You"
The Bronx USA — "Da Bronx"
Frozen II — "Into the Unknown"
Harriet — "Stand Up"
The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part — "Catchy Song"
The Lion King — "Never Too Late"
The Lion King — "Spirit"
Motherless Brooklyn — "Daily Battles"
Parasite — "A Glass of Soju"
Rocketman — "(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again"
Toni Morrison: The Pieces I Am — "High Above the Water"
Toy Story 4 — "I Can’t Let You Throw Yourself Away"
Wild Rose — "Glasgow (No Place Like Home)"
Source: https://oscars.org/oscars/92nd-oscars-shortlists
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Thank goodness. I hope it gets the full nomination.
ImageImage
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Dumbo was actually really good. Had a simple charm to it amidst the glitzing - up nature of any remake.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Thank goodness. I hope it gets the full nomination.
I hope that too, but as I said on another occasion, I don't want to get my hopes up like I did with "Evermore". If it doesn't get the nomination, I'm glad at least the Academy liked it enough to include it in their top 15.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

D82 wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:Thank goodness. I hope it gets the full nomination.
I hope that too, but as I said on another occasion, I don't want to get my hopes up like I did with "Evermore". If it doesn't get the nomination, I'm glad at least the Academy liked it enough to include it in their top 15.
I forgot, did Evermore not get a nomination?
ImageImage
WarriorDreamer
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WarriorDreamer »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Wow, that was a really interesting video to watch. I like how he mentioned that the execution of just a few details can completely change a mediocre film into a great one and how, if he had to teach film and how one script can be completely different in the hands of two different people, he would use both Aladdin films as examples.

He really has a point that in the live-action film they immediately introduce Aladdin and Jasmine to each other without introducing them as individuals to us as an audience. You can tell that they were relying on the audience recognizing and already knowing these characters. I felt the same was true for the live-action Beauty and the Beast as well, especially with the enchanted objects.
Yes, as previously mentioned I didn't feel this film lived up to the original. They could have planted a short scene at the beginning which show Aladdin as a child and how he didn't have a good start and see him running away from the family on his own as a child (they could be on the run) then cut to him running away from the guards as an adult.

That could have given more empathy to his character and warmed us up to him up better. I didn't feel enough emotion from this film at all.

I hope some aspects are dealt with in the sequel.
Last edited by WarriorDreamer on Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

WarriorDreamer wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:Wow, that was a really interesting video to watch. I like how he mentioned that the execution of just a few details can completely change a mediocre film into a great one and how, if he had to teach film and how one script can be completely different in the hands of two different people, he would use both Aladdin films as examples.

He really has a point that in the live-action film they immediately introduce Aladdin and Jasmine to each other without introducing them as individuals to us as an audience. You can tell that they were relying on the audience recognizing and already knowing these characters. I felt the same was true for the live-action Beauty and the Beast as well, especially with the enchanted objects.
Yes, as previously mentioned I didn't feel this film lived up to the original. They could have planted a short scene at the beginning which show Aladdin as a child and how he didn't have a good start and see him running away from the family on his own as a child (they could be on the run) then cut to him as an adult.

That could have given more empathy to his character and very him up better. I didn't feel enough emotion from this film at all.

If they had done young Aladdin or something with his mother, they could have been brought back Proud of Your Boy.

Not only did they just skip ahead to introducing Aladdin and Jasmine only when they meet each other, rather than building them up as individuals, they even sped up their first meeting. The scene where he sees Jasmine for the first time and the rose petals from the trailer are falling were deleted. We also see more about the plight of people in Agrabah and Jasmine's reaction to this.
ImageImage
WarriorDreamer
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WarriorDreamer »

JeanGreyForever wrote: If they had done young Aladdin or something with his mother, they could have been brought back Proud of Your Boy.

Not only did they just skip ahead to introducing Aladdin and Jasmine only when they meet each other, rather than building them up as individuals, they even sped up their first meeting. The scene where he sees Jasmine for the first time and the rose petals from the trailer are falling were deleted. We also see more about the plight of people in Agrabah and Jasmine's reaction to this.
Agreed that the meeting scene was very very rushed. Disney couples meeting are normally magical in the films and they ruined that aspect entirely. ☹
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

WarriorDreamer wrote:Yes, as previously mentioned I didn't feel this film lived up to the original. They could have planted a short scene at the beginning which show Aladdin as a child and how he didn't have a good start and see him running away from the family on his own as a child (they could be on the run) then cut to him running away from the guards as an adult.

That could have given more empathy to his character and warmed us up to him up better. I didn't feel enough emotion from this film at all.

Why would Aladdin run away from his family? I thought they died. Why would we be ok with a boy who ran away from loving parents?
WarriorDreamer
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WarriorDreamer »

Disney Duster wrote: Why would Aladdin run away from his family? I thought they died. Why would we be ok with a boy who ran away from loving parents?
My thinking is his family were theives too in the new version but they weren't able to look after Aladdin, so they told him to run away. A selfish move, but they could be selfish parents.

And the sequel is about him finding his parents as an adult.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

WarriorDreamer wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote: If they had done young Aladdin or something with his mother, they could have been brought back Proud of Your Boy.

Agreed that the meeting scene was very very rushed. Disney couples meeting are normally magical in the films and they ruined that aspect entirely. ☹
And it's even more odd because the original film has that same moment which is so beloved so the fact that they even filmed it but then cut it is strange. Actually pretty much all the Jasmine deleted scenes probably should have been retained because they add to the story and parallel the original. The Aladdin-Genie deleted scenes are funny but aren't really necessary.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

WarriorDreamer wrote:
Disney Duster wrote: Why would Aladdin run away from his family? I thought they died. Why would we be ok with a boy who ran away from loving parents?
My thinking is his family were theives too in the new version but they weren't able to look after Aladdin, so they told him to run away. A selfish move, but they could be selfish parents.

And the sequel is about him finding his parents as an adult.
Oh, ok I understand. That might be a good idea.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:I forgot, did Evermore not get a nomination?
No, it didn't. I didn't expect it to win, but I was hoping it would get at least a nomination. And to make matters worse, another Disney song ("Remember Me" from Coco), which in my opinion was inferior, not only did get a nomination but won the award that year.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Aladdin has been nominated for Best Motion Capture/Special Effects Performance at the Austin Film Critics Association Awards 2019.
Best Motion Capture/Special Effects Performance

Josh Brolin — Avengers: Endgame
Mark Ruffalo — Avengers: Endgame
Rosa Salazar — Alita: Battle Angel
Will Smith — Aladdin
Will Smith — Gemini Man
Source: https://austinfilmcritics.org/2019-afca ... 2ed1544f62

Aladdin has been nominated for Best Voice/Motion Capture Performance at the Latino Entertainment Film Awards 2019.
Best Voice or Motion Capture Performance

Tony Hale — Toy Story 4
Tom Hanks — Toy Story 4
Shirley Henderson — Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
Rosa Salazar — Alita: Battle Angel
Will Smith — Aladdin
Danny Trejo — Dora and the Lost City of Gold
Source: http://www.latinojournalists.com/2020/0 ... ent-award/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Wow, Japan sure loved Aladdin.

Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... nd-1266103
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I'm glad this film did so well internationally especially in Japan and South Korea. Not surprised to see it so high in the UK as well considering they love the original Aladdin.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, I noticed the UK obviously loves it because they love the animated Aladdin a lot.