Aladdin (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I really don't know what to think of this. Time will tell, I guess.
Prudence
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prudence »

UmbrellaFish wrote:I really don't know what to think of this. Time will tell, I guess.
Same here. If done correctly, this will be extraordinary.
That's hot.
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

akhenaten wrote:
noooooooooooo aida should be animated!!!! that could be the most powerful animated movie ever done.
I saw the show in it's initial test run in Chicago and I couldn't believe that they wanted to do it as an animated film. The show is very adult. If they did it animated, they would probably try to handle it the way they did "Pocahontas," which also has some more adult themes, but those are watered down for children. I would hate to see Aida as a slave with some animal friends helping her with her duties. And how could they possibly handle the fact that Rameses is cheating on his bride-to-be with Aida? And the fact that the two lovers are burried alive at the end in a tomb? I figured that if this show was ever addapted for the screen, it would deffinaltey be live action and I figured it would probably premier under the Touchstone Pictures bannar due to it's content, more than likely with a PG-13 rating. Hopes for this show to ever grace the silver screen are slim to none. The chances of it being animated are probably zero at this point.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Live-Action Aladdin in Development: Thoughts?

Post by Sotiris »

I'm only on board with this if it's a musical.

Guy Ritchie To Direct Live-Action ‘Aladdin’ For Disney
http://deadline.com/2016/10/aladdin-guy ... 201834102/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sotiris wrote:I'm only on board with this if it's a musical.
I wonder if they'd use the original songs, get Miranda to write new ones, and not even invite Menken back this time?

But I thought this was already planned to come after the Genies prequel? Honestly, I think it’d be a better idea to do this first and the the prequel afterwards…
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Sotiris wrote:I'm only on board with this if it's a musical.
I wonder if they'd use the original songs, get Miranda to write new ones, and not even invite Menken back this time?

But I thought this was already planned to come after the Genies prequel? Honestly, I think it’d be a better idea to do this first and the the prequel afterwards…
Agreed especially since there isn't Robin Williams to pull in a sizable crowd for Genies.

I hope this film is based off of the actual animated film and not the musical. I prefer Abu over Aladdin's three human friends and I also prefer Iago as a parrot rather than a human. None of the musical songs are really that good anyway, except for Proud of Your Boy which should be included. Really the main songs i hope they add are To Be Free for Jasmine and Why Me? for Jafar.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Guy Ritchie seems an odd choice to direct a Disney movie.
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

At least if it flops we won't have the prequel instead of the prequel flopping and we not getting the main product.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Some more info on the project.
Dan Lin, who was a producer on the Holmes movies for Warner Bros., is producing what Disney touts will be an ambitious and non-traditional take on Aladdin via his Lin Pictures banner. Jonathan Eirich will executive produce the movie and oversee it for Lin Pictures. John August wrote the script for the live-action version, which sources say will keep many of the musical elements of the original. Still to be determined is the approach to the Genie, which to this day remains closely associated to Williams' singular and defining performance. Also, part of the non-traditional aspect of the project is the studio's intent to make it non-linear, a move right out of the Ritchie playbook.
Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... sts-936881
Disney's Divinity

Also, part of the non-traditional aspect of the project is the studio's intent to make it non-linear, a move right out of the Ritchie playbook.
??? What does that mean?
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^I think it means the story won't be told in chronological order.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

If this is non-linear, as in non-chronological...I hope they have a good reason for it and it's not just a director's favorite thing to do so he does it just because he likes to do it...I think I wish this was linear instead.
JeanGreyForever wrote:I hope this film is based off of the actual animated film and not the musical. I prefer Abu over Aladdin's three human friends and I also prefer Iago as a parrot rather than a human. None of the musical songs are really that good anyway, except for Proud of Your Boy which should be included. Really the main songs i hope they add are To Be Free for Jasmine and Why Me? for Jafar.
Can you tell me more about "To Be Free" and "Why Me?" Never heard those songs. And I think one song from the musical is really, really good, and that's "Beyond These Palace Walls". I think it's sooo beautiful!
rodrigo_ca wrote:At least if it flops we won't have the prequel instead of the prequel flopping and we not getting the main product.
GREAT POINT!
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Anyone think the humor/comedy of this will be massively changed from the original (and not just "let's change the specific jokes since the Jack Nicholson jokes will be very dated nowadays").

I'm saying it not only because of Robin Williams, but also because cinema/shows have been littered with the "pop culture references" jokes to death ever since Aladdin (well also before but never the less). The jokes here have to be either really good to work well or the whole movie flops or turns into something like the MAD tv show.

They could even change the tone from a big comedy to focus more on the magic and the adventure. It could give it a "fresh take" on Aladdin, but what makes the original Aladdin memorable is the humor...
Disney's Divinity

Yeah, I'm expecting a much more serious film. Although, a serious film is already there in the animed movie if you cut out Robin's parts. I wonder if they'll get the Igleheart to play Genie or not?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:I hope this film is based off of the actual animated film and not the musical. I prefer Abu over Aladdin's three human friends and I also prefer Iago as a parrot rather than a human. None of the musical songs are really that good anyway, except for Proud of Your Boy which should be included. Really the main songs i hope they add are To Be Free for Jasmine and Why Me? for Jafar.
Can you tell me more about "To Be Free" and "Why Me?" Never heard those songs. And I think one song from the musical is really, really good, and that's "Beyond These Palace Walls". I think it's sooo beautiful!
To Be Free is Jasmine's song from Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular, the show that used to play in Disneyland before the Frozen show replaced it. It is set to the melody of "To Be Free" which is basically Genie's theme but it plays for Jasmine a lot too in the original movie. It's a really pretty song and reminds me a lot of the other I Want songs like Part of Your World and Belle (Reprise). Because it uses the movie's original score, it doesn't sound out of place next to the other original songs from the film. If someone was unfamiliar with Aladdin and was just watching the Disneyland show, they wouldn't be able to tell that To Be Free was not in the original film imo.

Why Me? is Jafar's villain song that was cut from the film. It's on the DVD and Blu-Ray. He's had a few villain songs but this is the one they were going to include until they felt it was weird having a villain song so close to the end of the film so they cut it down. Prince Ali (Reprise) replaced it, and if you watch Why Me? on youtube, you'll notice that Prince Ali (Reprise) is basically the same thing but shorter. It follows the same sequence of events (Jafar exposing Aladdin, blasting him off, holding Jasmine and the Sultan captive) so Prince Ali (Reprise) could be considered to be the abridged version of Jafar's full villain song.

I didn't care for many of the new musical songs. I actually like Beyond These Palace Walls, especially Jasmine's parts and the ending, but I don't think it fits as seamlessly with the original Aladdin songs. I haven't seen the full musical so it probably fits better with the musical version, but I don't think it would work with the animated movie. I'm not really a fan of the attendants singing in it. The movie makes a big deal out of isolating Jasmine and having her only friend and companion being Rajah so I feel like that doesn't mesh well in this scene where she has attendants as friends who talk to her and support her into leaving the palace. And some parts are just a bit odd like when one of them tells Jasmine that she should learn to "stand on her own too feet." It feels like an odd statement to make to a princess and heir of a kingdom who will never need to learn that lesson so it feels like a more modern sensibility thrown in which doesn't work in the context of Jasmine's story.
Disney's Divinity wrote:Yeah, I'm expecting a much more serious film. Although, a serious film is already there in the animed movie if you cut out Robin's parts. I wonder if they'll get the Igleheart to play Genie or not?
People really like him so he might be the safe choice rather than picking someone else untested who audiences may or may not enjoy playing the Genie.

But I agree, that I hope the comedy is toned down. I want something closer to the original Menken/Ashman version of Aladdin which was more about Aladdin and his relationship with his mother. If they also changed the three wishes to infinite wishes, I wouldn't mind that. But I hope they keep Aladdin's human sidekicks out because they never did anything for me and I prefer Abu.

Also hoping Jasmine doesn't get sidelined, but I doubt that would happen. The original plan for Jasmine had her running away, not to escape marriage, but because she recognized that her father was being hypnotized so she goes off to find help away from the palace. So in the marketplace, she is "attacked" by faith healers who claim they can help her father which is where Aladdin comes in. I don't mind Jasmine running away for her more "selfish" reasons in the final movie, but I know a lot of people aren't fond of her (and Ariel) because of that and prefer Belle and Mulan for sacrificing themselves for their respective fathers. Mainly, I think it makes Jasmine sharper because they make a big deal out of saying that Jasmine is quick-witted and adaptive so I never understood why she didn't realize her father is being hypnotized when Aladdin noticed in a second.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I didn't care for either of those songs...

But I'm glad you liked "Beyond These Palace Walls" except you're right it wouldn't work if she didn't have attendants. I'm ok with "stand on your own two feet" because Jasmin wants not to be a princess, and wants to learn that lesson.

I don't think the musical songs clash with the original film. But I only like "Beyond These Palace Walls" and the song about Aladdin and his three buddies.

I didn't know all that info about Jasmine running away for help! But I like her running away for her own reason. People should be selfish. People need to get that.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I don't think Jasmine doesn't want to be a princess as much as she wants to select her own husband for marriage. If being a princess means that she can't do that, then she doesn't want to be a princess, but of course by the end of the film those two things turn out to not be mutually exclusive.

I like A Million Miles away, the duet between Aladdin and Jasmine when he takes her to his home. But I'm not a fan of how they butchered A Whole New World in the musical. It's not nearly as good as it was in the movie. The Babkak, Omar, and Kassim song is nice though which makes sense since Howard Ashman wrote it.

I agree with you that people should be allowed to be selfish at times. I'm partial though because I've always admired Ariel and Jasmine for the traits that other people despise them for. And I'm more sympathetic towards them than Belle and Mulan for the sacrifices they make for their fathers, because I can relate to the former more (not sure what that says about me as a person lol). But I do think it is odd that Jasmine never noticed her father being hypnotized by Jafar especially since she doesn't like Jafar in the first place. So I like how they have her recognize what is going on before anyone else, rather than in the movie where Jafar literally hypnotizes her father in front of her, and she still doesn't understand, but Aladdin catches on instantly.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh. Hm. I always thought Jasmine wanted the free life of a non-royal, but I guess you have a point that she simply wants some more freedom while still being royal.

Oh, yea, that Aladdin's three friends songs is great, I didn't know Ashman had a hand! No wonder!

You're no bad person for going after what you want. People may call it selfish. I call it our God-given right to pursue happiness. You do have a point though that her noticing her dad is hypnotized should have happened. Ah well, would have ruined the story I suppose. Plot hole.
Disney's Divinity

I love “High Adventure,” but, like JeanGreyForever, I’m not fond of Aladdin’s human friends and hope they aren’t resurrected here. “Beyond These Palace Walls” is okay, not bad… It just always felt kind of thrown together quickly in an attempt to give Jasmine something to sing after they cut "Call Me a Princess" from the musical. "Diamond in the Rough" is great largely because of Jonathan Freeman...so I'm not sure if it's worth carrying over or not (and it would make the Cave of Wonders scene too comedic). I don't really care too much about the other songs and I hope the mother isn't resurrected either. Maybe they could have Aladdin singing "Proud of Your Boy" to his mother's grave so they can use the song without physically having the character enter and alter the story.

I guess I’ve always felt Jasmine was a streamlined, less interesting version of Ariel. They could potentially flesh the character out to a huge degree here. I only think that’s possible because I loved Jasmine in the animated series after hating her in the movie.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Luke Pasqualino is in negotiations to star in the live-action adaptation of Aladdin. Even though he can pass as Middle Eastern, apparently he's only of Italian descent. People are not going to be happy about this.

He kinda looked like Aladdin in the BBC TV series The Musketeers.