Create your own PE DVD Cover art!

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by PrincePhillipFan »

:o Beautiful work, Steve! I'm amazed at the quality and how it looks exactly like a true Disney DVD. I only wish now that it was for sale. :p
-Tim
steve
Gold Classic Collection

Post by steve »

I hope this answers everyone's questions - it's gonna be a BIG post...

I'll just use Off-Model Esmeralda as an example. So, here's the scanned drawing.

For the rest, I use a Wacom graphics tablet (http://wacom.com/index.html). Without one it would be impossible (for me, at least - also, there's probably a much more efficient, less time-wasting method than mine, but you asked, so here it is). I imported the scan of the sketch into Photoshop, then created a New Layer over the sketch. Using the Wacom tablet pen, I drew over the sketch with the Brush Tool to create the outline.
As you can see, I started by outlining Esmeralda's skin. Knowing that the skin outline would be different a different colour to the other outlines, I stopped and created another New Layer for the next outline colour, this time the hair.
I'll explain later why I create each outline on a new layer. Once the outline was finished...
...I removed the original sketch...
...and began to colour the picture using the Brush Tool. (Because the outlines are on different layers, I can't use the Paint Bucket Tool.)
In Photoshop I can automatically apply a certain colour to a whole layer, so creating all the outlines on different layers means that I can quickly change the colour of an outline to suit the main colour. This comes in handy if I change the main colour. If the outlines were all connected, I would have to separate the outline around the changed colour, which would involve tracing around it, cutting, etc. This way is just handier, and frees me up when it comes to choosing colours for everything. To change the colour of one of the outlines, go to the options at the top of the screen and click Layer > Layer Style > Color Overlay... From there you can change the colour of the layer. Once that was done...
...I began the shading by painting shadow around edges with a soft Brush Tool, then erasing any excess with a smaller, hard-edged Eraser Tool. I then did the highlights the same way.

So, em, that's it! I hope that explains everything properly. I've never written a tutorial before...
Disney Villain
Special Edition

Post by Disney Villain »

Steve I truly appreciate your tutorial. I'm going to try it with my own graphic work. Thank you so much!
drfsupercenter
Anniversary Edition

Post by drfsupercenter »

Call me late, but I just now found this thread.

These are covers Mollyzkobou made in some cover-making program, and we're most likely gonna use these for our fan-releases (of course, with actual info on the back... once they're finalized). Sorry for the small sizes, that's the max. resolution of the program.

Aladdin...

Beauty and the Beast...

The Little Mermaid...

Basically these are the John Alvin posters made into an actual DVD cover. Another possible creation would use the Japanese promo-cover of Cinderella (here's a picture if you wanna see)

Howard Ashman:
He gave a mermaid her voice, a beast his soul, and Arabs something to complain about
Arabian Nights (Unedited)
Savages (Uncensored)
If it ain't OTV, it ain't worth anything!
Mollyzkoubou
Limited Issue

Post by Mollyzkoubou »

The software is Imandix, and I used it to throw together 3D images to show what the cover would look like on an actual case. I have slightly better copies here.

I'd recommend not saying too much about fan-releases. Call them "personal custom editions" or whatever.
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

looks great!
And thanks for the tutorial, Steve!
yukitora
Special Edition

Post by yukitora »

I love the John Alvin posters. I wonder if anyone has high quality scans of them :lol:
xxhplinkxx
Collector's Edition

Post by xxhplinkxx »

Mollyzkoubou wrote:I'd recommend not saying too much about fan-releases. Call them "personal custom editions" or whatever.

:? :? :?

What do you mean by this?

"Hip hop frightens you, doesn't it....Hmmm...Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate. Hate leads to endlessly posting threads about stupid white people. Hmmmmm....."

I love Siren!
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

plinky wrote:
Mollyzkoubou wrote:I'd recommend not saying too much about fan-releases. Call them "personal custom editions" or whatever.

:? :? :?

What do you mean by this?
Well...somewhere NOT on the internet, there is NOT a group of fans who are NOT restoring/re-doing Disney DVDs to NOT be the actual original theatrical versions (as opposed to the edited versions that are NOT on DVD). And they are NOT going to have a site that is NOT going to sell them.

;)

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

So I tried out your tips on a coloring book scan. here's what I came out with. I wanted to use it for my own cover but nothing seems to go with it. Figured posting it couldn't hurt.

yukitora
Special Edition

Post by yukitora »

^Wow, that'd make awesome disc-art :lol: Did you use a tablet like Steve did?

The texture on the Beasts fur looks a little odd with those shades though, but other than that, it's practically perfect! Very on-model.
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

nope just a regular old scanner then applied a gradient map to it to remove the excess and then I had a perfect black and white outline. And I went from there.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

That's awesome work, steve!

I think Clopin and the Gargoyles should go on the empty left corner of the package, since they are also important figures in the story as well.
ImageImageImageImage

Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Custom Covers for Disney DVDs

Post by Disney Duster »

Pap64, try reading everything in the person's post you talk about. Steve already said he wanted to put the gargoyles in the empty right corner.

Steve, was your tutorial...the answer to my questions?

Well, Disney Villain, your picture impressed me and my eyes opened to take in the beauty and amazement. More people should be talking about it! However, I would like to see your tweaked version. Of course the fairies' colors need help, and generally everything should be colored more accurately and more uniformly. Like the bright candy-colored castle doesn't fit in with the darker, more movie-matching forest.

I would love to help you in your quest to fix the cover. That image you want clearer, I don't have it, but I agree it's better than the image we have on the current cover (and more like the movie's...well, Phillip's way off). So, I could actually try to re-draw the cover and then we could try to Photoshop color it in together! I have to aks my folks about setting up the scanner.

When you said the bottom "transforms" with the fairies, do you mean something like the fairies' magic (from the middle right of the cover) flows down to Aurora's dress and starts turning it pink, or something? With further explanation, I can try to draw something. I will work until you (and I) are satisfied (and if my scanner gets set up...my folks may not want to)!

Let me know if you are interested and I will pm you my E-mail address, or if you already remember it (it should be in your pm inbox) maybe you could E-mail me already.
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

I'm no STEVE or Chernabog, but hey I hope you'll enjoy this
little something I whipped up a couple of hours ago...

It's an underrated picture that should have gotten a decent sequel and deserves a re-release anytime soon.

Last edited by REINIER on Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

Notice that I haven't finished the paw yet :lol:
drfsupercenter
Anniversary Edition

Post by drfsupercenter »

The Great Mouse Detective cover looks great... and while I think it should have a 2-disc re-release, the existing release is great (except for someone telling me the colors were way too bright in a few scenes). I'd probably buy it as a PE, I agree that it's awesome.

The other two are good, but somehow I think The Rescuers Down Under text should be a little bigger, and higher in the picture. Oliver and Company looks good for a start, but what's with the all-new musical sequence? You're not supporting more Lion King releases, are you? :lol:

Howard Ashman:
He gave a mermaid her voice, a beast his soul, and Arabs something to complain about
Savages (Uncensored)
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

drfsupercenter wrote: You're not supporting more Lion King releases, are you? :lol:
NO, I just think these songs are great and I'd like to hear more!
Bette Middler, out of retirement and more singing!!!

As far as your comments go, you're right the text on RescDownUnd should've been bigger, but that perticular one took me the longest, I had to start from scratch, there are very very few images of this film!
In fact Joanna looks a bit blurry, that's because I took a photo from my TV-screen, turned out rather bogus I'm afraid :lol:

Oliver & Company, again no background images to work with, it's more of a starting point really :)

I'll be bringing more of these here, love your comments, I'll hope to improve my work along the way :wink:

In fact I'll bring in different versions for you to comment on!

An r-rated cut...

(coulden't decide in terms of colour scheme :D )

A PG version for the kiddies is soon to follow :lol:
drfsupercenter
Anniversary Edition

Post by drfsupercenter »

In fact Joanna looks a bit blurry, that's because I took a photo from my TV-screen, turned out rather bogus I'm afraid
Do you know how to take screenshots?

I'm sure there are plenty of promo pics if you use Google Image Search... and those Black Cauldron covers look good, I just wouldn't buy it with that cover :lol:

Howard Ashman:
Savages (Uncensored)