Im an adult who likes collecting Disney dvds am i wrong?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Lightyear
Special Edition

Post by Lightyear »

I think the timeless and agless appeal belongs to the magic of disney .. Whenever I pop a dvd in and see the disney logo and the works, you feel like a kid again, you can relive some childhood memories, even with the newest releases, There's a magic to watching it... for a few hours, you can be 10 again and let the worries of the world be forgotten...

I too find the cliche that animation is just for kids laughable.. I would go out on a limb and say that 80% of the animation created today is geared towards adults, Anime is 100% adult oriented, Family Guy, Futurama, King of the hill, Ren and Stimpy.. all adult oriented.

But there's a special appeal to Garfiend and Heathcliffe, Mighty Mouse, Tom and Jerry, Super Friends, etc etc.. Child oriented in nature, easily enjoyed as an adult as well.

In closing :lol: 8) Good animation has no age demographic nor needs one associated with it. If you like it, watch it, if others make fun of you for it, they are losing out on one of life's last true simple pleasures.

Good day... godspeed.. Lightyear..signing off the soapbox..
! !EBAY BOOTLEG'ERS! !
STDVDS : gasconsherri : haasenterprises : helppay4kidscollege : mtandk0614 : zoosed : sniperxray2 : moker04 : dvdtitan : jedsdvds4u : dvd_isle : ander_island : hollabrady : aikon83 : nowentertmt : tell_your_story
universALLove
Collector's Edition

Post by universALLove »

I'm 16 and I love Disney but I never think of it as a childrens film, I think of it as a family film, therefore it can appeal to everyone not matter what age. So you shouldn't worry.
MK Sharp
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MK Sharp »

Lightyear wrote:Good animation has no age demographic nor needs one associated with it. If you like it, watch it, if others make fun of you for it, they are losing out on one of life's last true simple pleasures.
Words to live by! They should be inscribed on a brass plaque somewhere.

I've loved golden-age animation for as long as I can remember. I recall being thrilled at seeing some clips from b/w Mickeys like Mickey's Choo-Choo and Traffic Troubles when I was 4 or 5 (back in the 1970s, when it was unheard of to see things like that on TV) and being fascinated. Then, over quarter of a century later, I finally got to see them complete on the Treasures and was thrilled all over again. In fact, I don't think I would have appreciated them as much if I'd seen them when I was a kid.

I don't care if people think I'm silly for watching old cartoons - I'm having too much of a good time!

I think I'll still love classic animation when I'm 80. I certainly hope so.
"I hope we never lose sight of one thing - that this was all started by a little girl and a cat. And a rabbit."
littlefuzzy
Anniversary Edition

Post by littlefuzzy »

Most of the early theatrical animation shorts (WB, Disney, MGM, etc.) were created for an adult audience (by which, I DON'T mean sexual jokes like South Park...) These cartoons, along with a newsreel, a couple of live action shorts, and so forth, were shown before the main feature.

If I recall correctly (from reading about it, I wasn't there!) the premiere for Snow White was mainly adults.

As far as I know, in the early years of cinema, most of the movie-going audience was adults or families. Drive-in theaters would have play-yards in front of the screen, where the kids were too close to see the screen, and there probably weren't speakers in the play-yard. Movies at the time didn't have blatant sexuality, gore and violence, and strong language. Instead, they had complex dialogue, characters, and situations that were over the head of children, who would be bored.

There is a difference between films that are targeted for a family audience, which includes children and adults, and films that are targeted solely towards children. Most of the Walt-era Disney films were targeted towards families, however (in my opinion) some of the newer films are only targeted towards children, such as Treasure Planet, and the numerous direct to video sequels.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with liking Disney as an adult. The problem is narrow minded people who think "D1zzzne i§ 0wnlE 4 k!dz". People like this used to make me feel guilty about having Disney on DVD, but I soon realised that they were the dorks, as I felt happy with Disney.

Plus, how can one say that Disney is just for kids when kids liking Disney is debatable? I am sure that a lot of kids will get bored by Fantasia and the old Silly Symphony shorts, as they are more arty and have more appeal for adults in them.

I also think that along with some of the 2+ disc editions of classic films that Warner puts out (Casablnca, The Wizard of Oz, The Adventures of Robin Hood), 2 Disc sets of Disney films and shorts are some of the best things to get on DVD, as the releases are great, as a lot of the bonus material is amazing, therefore showcasing how cool DVD is. And some of it is collector orientated. See, even Disney markets their things as also for adults.

One thing that just gets me though; do you only buy the platinums though? If so, you should get some of the non Platinum labeled 2 Disc Sets too(Alice in Wonderland, Mulan, Mary Poppins, Pocahontas). In my opinion, they're actually a bit better than the platinums. And considering that most of the platinums are good, you will be amazed...
eap_44
Gold Classic Collection

Post by eap_44 »

i'm 32 and still collecting Disney DVD. actually i'm only missing 10 out of the 44 animated classics. :D
Disney_maniac15

Post by Disney_maniac15 »

I don't really think anyone is too old to be collecting disney movies because we've all seen them when we were kids and they remain with us so it's like childhood memories. I think no one is too old :)
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

I'm 21 and I still collect Disney Animated DVD's I just need Cinderella to finish my set. Yes I got the Limited Issues of The Little Mermaid, Jungle Book, 101 Dalmatians and Lady and the Tramp.

Remember cartoons are for kids and adults even if you don't have any kids. Cartoons just give adults memories when they were kids themselves.
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
Mouseketodd
Gold Classic Collection

Too old?

Post by Mouseketodd »

I'm 37, and I enjoy the classic Disney animation and live action movies.

Sure, my wife thinks it strange that I like cartoons and the 1950s Mickey Mouse Club, but that's okay. I'm having a good time. And, I want our kids to experience Mickey, Donald, Goofy and the rest of the gang. They certainly can't get them on Disney's channels, except for the House of Mouse.

I like having these DVDs so I can enjoy the shows I grew up with -- at almost any time I want.
My handmade paperweights, including Disney subjects -- some contain viewable movie cells!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/tmhofherr
Currently listed: Ludwig Von Drake, Annette, Zorro, Star Wars, the Wicked Witch, Classic Tron, and more!
Nala
Anniversary Edition

Post by Nala »

I'm 44 and I still love Disney. You're never too old when you feel young at heart. I have no kids and am single. Heck, my mom is in her 70's and she enjoys Disney movies as much as I do.
My Growing DVD Collection!

http://www.invelos.com/DVDCollection.aspx/Pocahontas

Disneyland Trips: 09/87, 12/08

Walt Disney World Trips: 09/08, 12/09, 06/11, 09/14

Knott's Berry Farm: 09/87, 12/08
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Im an adult who likes collecting Disney dvds am i wrong?

Post by blackcauldron85 »

BuzzFeed is looking for adult Disney fans to interview- I just filled out the form. Some of you might be interested as well:

Are You A Disney Adult?
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/mi ... ves-disney

I forgot to add that I moved to Florida because of WDW and that I'm a forum member. Oh well!
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

As far as I’m concerned, no other movie studio [Besides Pixar, which is the best movie studio in the world and it’s owned By slash has all of their movies namebranded by Disney :-) Has ever given me as much deep satisfaction Overall as Disney; even when they’re at their Lowest , you can tell that they truly learn from their mistakes at least try to overall have something be great with just about everything they do :-)
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

I feel like the ones who dont allow themselves to enjoy good/great movies are immature themselves. Does anyone actually think "general audience" excludes adults? It doesn't.
blackcauldron85

blackcauldron85 wrote:BuzzFeed is looking for adult Disney fans to interview- I just filled out the form. Some of you might be interested as well:

Are You A Disney Adult?
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/mi ... ves-disney
For Disney adults, the brand offers more than childhood nostalgia: It’s an ever-present lifestyle and they’re not ashamed of it.
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/mi ... ou-like-it
blackcauldron85

This was recommended for me by Google and I had to post it here!

Help! My Spouse Assured Me She Wasn’t a Disney Freak When We Married. That Was a “Psychotic Lie.
https://slate.com/human-interest/2021/1 ... rance.html
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

:lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"