DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:54 am 

What stuff did you watch as a kid?

I have to admit that I never really grew up on Disney. I grew up on Nickelodeon.

Now both Nick and Disney have succumed to the next generation...geez. :roll:

When I grew up, Nick had shows such as:

1. You Can't Do That On TV - The holly grail of my youth. It was basically saturday night live, done kid style. They had kids puking every episode, people getting slimmed, soaked with water.

With the classic lines...Water! I Don't Know. Who Do You Think's In The Burgers? Don't Encourage Your Father! I Heard That!

The most memorable segments for me was the kids in the dungeon, the kid who got in trouble at school always was chained to the back of the classroom, and left there over the weekend, and the segment which made fun of the bathroom. They locked the comode so no one could go. :lol:

2. The Secret Life of Alex Mack - much better than any kid show they have now. After getting dosed with GC161 in an accident, she could turn herself into water, leviate objects and control the electricity in the room! Darn they need to bring a concept like that back! :)

Those are only two of what I got in store. So what are yours?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:26 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

First of all I believe this thread belongs in the off-topic forum but it's alright you're new you're leaning. Welcome to the Forum! :eye:
But anyways...
I use to watch a lot of Nickelodeon when I lived in California but after we moved to Colorado it's been nothing but PBS. Then I grew too old to appreciate those cartoons anymore because by that time they were pretty sucky. And when I was living in California I was about 3 until we moved so that was about 16 years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:36 am 
Limited Edition

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

I used to watch:
DuckTales
Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers
Aladdin (TV Series)
Arthur
Sabrina, The Teenage Witch
The Golden Girls
Home Improvement
Suddenly Susan
Friends

The list just goes on and on. :wink:

Last edited by Robin Hood on Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:03 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

When I was a kid Disney Channel and Nickleoden were not around yet. We had our cartoons Saturday and Sunday mornings, 3-5 during the week and 6-10 weekday mornings. Now we have all day cartoon channels, like Cartoon Network and Bomerang, Nick, and Too Disney, where were they when I was a kid 30 years ago :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:53 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Sadly, I never had any kid's channels of any sort as a kid as cable and satellite weren't on my parent's priority list. Which is a shame, especially since I grew up in the day when the Disney Channel was made up of Disney stuff rather than just an Eisner influenced approximation of what Disney material is. So anyway, here's the TV stuff that due to them actually being on terrestrial TV, I watched a lot as a kid;

Rugrats
    Arthur
    Chip n' Dale: Rescue Rangers
    Duck Tales
    The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
    Scooby Doo
    The Flinstones
    Looney Tunes (shown on TV)
    Classic Disney Shorts (shown on TV)
    Classic MGM Shorts (shown on TV)
    The Peter Rabbit TV specials
    Tiny Toon Adventures
    Animaniacs
    Ren and Stimpy
    The Simpsons (years behind than the US due to the UK sattelite and cable channel Sky only getting new episodes, though :roll:)
    Julia Jeckyl and Harriet Hyde
    The Queen's Nose
    Big Kids
    Blue Peter
    Art Attack
    Playdays
    Tomorrow's World (I was a nerdy kid :P)
    Neighbours
    Round the Twist
    Top of the Pops
    Clarissa
    Maid Marian and her Merry Men
    Sabrina the Teenage Witch

When it came to films, I mainly watched Disney stuff. We had a good number of the animated films on video, and I think that due to exposure to these films, I wouldn't have been such an animation buff today. Films that I watched (non Disney included) were...

Alice in Wonderland
    Pinocchio
    Peter Pan
    Cinderella
    Fantasia
    Sleeping Beauty
    The Great Mouse Detective
    Beauty and the Beast
    Aladdin
    Dumbo
    Mary Poppins
    Bedknobs and Broomsticks
    Toy Story
    Shrek (I was thirteen/fourteen at the time, but still :P)
    Matilda
    The Wizard of Oz
    Return to Oz
    Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

So yeah, that's what I watched as a kid. :D

Blog | Deviantart

Last edited by Wonderlicious on Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:43 am 
Special Edition

Well, I have to admit. Growing up I was a Nick Jr kid.
(I am 13 although I feel so old! lol)

I grew up watching the following shows (Which would still be my favorites if Nick didn't change into Dora the Explorer and Spongebob Channel.

The shows I watched were:
Gullah Gullah Island
Franklin
Little Ber
The Busy World of Richard Scarry
Eeureka's Castle
Allegra's Window
David the Gnome
Doug
Muppet Babies - FAVORITE!!! (Origninal to CBS)
Blues Clues -- Actually, when I was little I thought it was a baby show so I didn't start watching it until much later.

Disney
PB&J Otter
Ducktales
Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers
Recess
Disney's Dough (I liked better, music and animation)
Pepper Ann
Out of the Box

*That was pretty much it because I only watched it on Disney's One Too

Other
Arthur
Wimzie's House

All shows which have not been taken off the air or on DVD sets I still proudly watch.:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:54 am 

hi! i wantched disney cartoons when i was young, i think the simpsons, flitstones, jetsons too.. and came the ge of nickelodeon and cartoon network, i watch most of the shows there. and how can i forget disney channel? i love student bodies and boy meets world.. hope to watch them again...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:40 am 
Special Edition

Wow, I feel old. When I was a kid our local (Chicago area) station was still running old epsiodes of the original Mickey Mouse Club, which was far & away my favorite show. I watched a lot of Warner cartoons on Saturday mornings (back when Saturday mornings belonged to unexpurgated, non-educational cartoons), but I remember the Disney stuff best. Possibly my single favorite program was the Halloween edition of The Wonderful World of Disney, which included Ichabod Crane, Lonesome Ghosts, the evil Queen's transformation from Snow White...fabulous stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:49 am 
Limited Edition

I used to watch mainly The Simpsons when I was young

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:04 am 
Limited Edition

jamminjake245 wrote:

? I thought that was called Welcome to Pooh corner... that show was funny....with the narrator guy and the prople dressed up in pooh character outfits.....oh man..........I also remember Dumbo's Circus on the Disney channel.......I could probablly think of a million more :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:18 am 
Limited Edition

I just thought of one! I used to love the super mario brothers super show.....with Lou Albano dressed up as Mario! It's supposidaly coming to dvd soon, along with the Legend of Zelda show! I can't find box art for Mario, but here's box art for Zelda :wink: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AA4F2E/102-9670183-3347309?v=glance&n=130&n=507846&s=dvd&v=glance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:21 am 
Platinum Edition

Wow! That is going back a few years - like almost sixty.......television was in its infancy. I remember watching The Adventures of Beany and Cecil, and there was this guy on Channel 5 in Los Angeles called Captain Tom who used to draw pictures of different characters and he also showed Popeye cartoons and Betty Boop cartoons.

I was 14 when Walt Disney Presents showed the first adventures of Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier with Fess Parker and Buddy Ebsen. There wasn't any thing like color television back then, and the biggest screen was a 25 inch. And we used to watch television as a family.

We watched shows like Colgate Comedy Hour with Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis, Milton Berle, Sid Caesar and Imogene Coca and Abbott & Costello. There were no shows directly related to cartoons only. Colonel Tim McCoy had a westerns program in which he showed a cartoon before the feature film, which was always a pretty good shoot'em up cowboy movie.

I was a young teenager when the first Disney programs came to television. I remember watchng "Disneyland" and watching the special programs as they constructed the theme park called Disneyland in Anaheim, California where the large orange groves used to be. I was fifteen when Disneyland opened and we went as a family the third weekend it was open. All I can remember is that construction was still going on, but the Jungle Ride was open and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride in Fantasyland.

Those are some of my fondest remembrances. On and off television. I remember doing a lot of things that didn't involve television because it wasn't on all day long like it is now. We actually went outside and played with our friends. There were no such thngs as malls, or skate parks, we didn't know what a skateboard was. Saturday morning was movie day at the local theater where it cost a whole quarter to go see a chapter of a serial, a cartoon, and a good cowboy movie.

Yes, those were the days.

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:16 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

This sounds like a better thread for off-topic, but anyway...

I'm probably the last man on Earth to get cable t.v.(okay so it's an exaggeration, but I got mine really late) so I didn't really "grow" up with "old" Nickelodean!

Well I remember watching a few Rugrats episodes at people's houses, but that's is the only show from "old Nickelodean" I even remember.

I was trained the "right" way so when I was little I watched PBS and shows like Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers NeighborHood and Arthur quite alot.

As for Disney shows, I watched ALOT of them too, here are the ones I grew up with:

DuckTales
The New Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Chip N' Dale(well not as much as the others)
Darkwing Duck
Tale Spin
Goof Troop
Timon and Pumbaa
Doug(hey, I liked Disney's version as a kid! :oops:)
Recess
Mickey Mouse Works
Buzz Lightear of Star Command

Also I watched ANYTHING that had Bugs and Daffy in it! :D (don't kill me, but I think they're funnier than Mickey and Donald! :shifty: )

I'm kinda surprised to see most people list "The Simpsons"! I mean, is it a hilarious show with tons of laughes? Oh yes definitely! Sure it can get overrated some times(like that animation UK list :roll), but overall, it is one of the funniest shows ever made! However is it a good KIDS show? No, not really. I mean kids probably wouldn't get more than 3/4 of the jokes anyway! Overall even though it's animated, it's for adults, not kids! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:46 pm 
Limited Edition

Alan wrote:
I used to watch mainly The Simpsons when I was young

You we're watching the Simpsons when you we're five years old?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:49 pm 
Collector's Edition

TV:
Rugrats
Aaah Real Monsters!
Kenan & Kel (when I was a bit older)
Hey Arnold!
All That
Arthur (and I still watch it regularly to this day :lol: )
MGM cartoons
Recess
Tiny Toon Adventures

Movies:
Aladdin
Cinderella
Dumbo
The Fox and the Hound
The Lion King
101 Dalmatians
Peter Pan
Pinocchio
Pocahontas
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
The Sword in the Stone
My Neighbor Totoro
Thumbelina
The Swan Princess
A Troll in Central Park
Once Upon a Forest
The Princess and the Goblin
Toy Story
The Parent Trap (1961)
That Darn Cat (1965)
Return to Oz
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Jumanji
Matilda
Good Burger (big kid)
The Neverending Story
The Goonies
The Wizard of Oz
The Nightmare Before Christmas
ET

My animation collection

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:00 pm 
Limited Edition

T.V. shows, including gradual progression:

Barney
Welcome to Pooh Corner
Seasame Street
LambChop
Mr. Rogers
Eeureka's Castle
Allegra's Window
Gummi Bears
Darkwing Duck
Doug
Looney Tunes
Muppet Babies
Ducktales
Smurfs
Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers
Mouse Works
Care Bears
My Little Pony
Gullah Gullah Island
Franklin
Little Bear
Goof Troop
Timon and Pumba
Winnie the Pooh
Tale Spin
The Little Mermaid
Gullah Gullah Island
Aladdin
Jetsons
The Brady Bunch
The Wonder Years
Pete and Pete
Clarissa Explains It All
The Facts of Life
Growing Pains
Boy Meets World
CatDog
Rugrats
Hey Arnold!
Thundercats
Rebot
Dexter's Labratory
Pokemon
Digimon
Dragonball Z
Sailor Moon
Tenchi Muyou
Outlaw Star
Zoids
House of Mouse
X-men Evolution
Justice League
Yu-Yu Hakusho

now: nothing :lol:

I'm probably missing a few

3. The Hurt Locker
4. Coraline
5. Ponyo

Last edited by castleinthesky on Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:04 pm 
Limited Edition

I grew up watching:

Dumbo's Circus
Welcome to Pooh Corner
Reruns of Zorro and the original Mickey Mouse Club
Sesame Street
Mr. Rogers' neighborhood
Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego
The Disney Afternoon Shows
Super Mario Brothers
The Real Ghostbusters
He-man
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Looney Tunes
Muppet Babies
Scooby Doo
The Flintstones
The Jetsons
The Cartoon Express ( It came on USA. I remember watching reruns of the Ninja Turtles and Scooby Doo during this cartoon block)
Tiny Toon Adventures
Doug
Ren and Stimpy

And I watched the classic Disney cartoons and movies, when the Disney Channel actually aired them. I'm sure I have forgotten other shows I watched growing up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:09 pm 
Gold Collection

Oh, I used to watch many TV shows. These are the ones I remember, but I'm sure I've missed some when writing the list:

Disney:

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
DuckTales
Darkwing Duck
Gummi Bears
Tale Spin
The Little Mermaid
Aladdin
Timon and Pumbaa
Goof Troop
Quack Pack
Mickey Mouse Works
House of Mouse

Other:

The Adventures of Alfred J. Quack
Dr. Snuggles
Transformers (original)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (original)
Tao Tao
Moomin
Digimon Adventure and Zero Two
He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (original)
Super Mario Brothers
Looney Tunes
Smurfs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:31 pm 
Suspended

Well, I was SUCH a television nut and I watched all throughout the late 80s to the mid 90s, and from there I just watched some things religiously. But I was easy to buy in terms of viewership. It would be quicker to say what I didn't like to watch : 1) news bored me, 2) anything I found to be gross, like Ren & Stimpy (YUCK!!! I still think that's the grossest show ever).

But I remember watching a lot of stuff, everything from Sesame Street, to Mister Rogers, to Bill Nye the Science Guy, to those great After-Schoolish documentaries that were actually for really young kids made in like the 70s that weren't about sex at all but more like about friendship and people being different, for again- really young kids in school, all kids before high school (high school didn't get their own after-school documentaries until the 80s and they were all about sex, alcohol, and drugs). So that takes care of my PBS. Then, HBO - Tales from the Crypt, Dream On... I had HBO in my bedroom so I could watch all this really cool dirty and scary after-hours stuff in the privacy of my own bedroom and no one could censor what I saw (aw, those were the days!!!), and I was a really young kid at the time so I was in heaven. And Cinemax was really inspirational for me, because there I was so many different kinds of movies on their different-genre-a-night program and that's definitely where I got my love of horror from. On Thursday, they used to show a horror movie every night at 11:30pm, and then that switched to Wednesday when Thursday became about drama and the schedule kept changing (their Tuesday Suspense and Wednesday/Friday Premiere also sometimes showed horror movies, so they were great too).

Some Disney Channel, of course I watched Pooh Corner, Dumbo Circus, Under the Umbrella Tree, Merry Melodies / Silly Symphonies, Adventures in Wonderland, the Mr. Boogedy TV-movies, lots of pieces on classic cartoons with Donald Duck, Pluto, and some Mickey Mouse-rs with Donald and Goofy along. And I absolutely adored their yearly Halloween specials where they would show great Halloween-themed cartoons from their stock and I always got so excited around Halloween time when I was a kid because Disney WAS such a great channel that time of year. Now, it's not so imaginative or exciting - not nearly. But hey, what can you do.

A lot of Nickelodeon! I watched everything on that channel : Count Duckula, The Noozles, All That, Eureka's Castle, Are You Afraid of the Dark?, Doug, Rugrats, Rocco's Modern Life, a teeny bit of Hey Arnold!, Welcome Freshman, You Can't Do That on Television, Salute Your Shorts, Adventures of Pete and Pete, Clarissa Explains it All, Space Cases, Secret World of Alex Mac, Mystery Files of Shelby Woo, Ah! Real Monsters, Double Dare / Family Double Dare, Nick Arcade, Guts, a little bit of that Animal transformations show with the kids and they can transform and their like in England or Australia and they're so plain looking, and that show about THE GNOMES (what the heck was that show called??). There was also a show about a department store and Muppets' like puppets would do things after the store closed...

And other kids shows : HeMan, Garfield & Friends, Rude Dog and the Dweebs, Inspector Gadget, The Smurfs, Alvin & the Chipmunks, The Snorks, The Real Ghostbusters, Jem & the Holograms, My Little Pony, The Care Bears, The Littles, Heathcliff, lots of Warner Bros. cartoons, Tiny Toon Adventures, The Animaniacs, Life with Louie, Eek & the Terrible Thunderlizards, Bobby's World, Beakman's World, Back to the Future (the cartoon series), a couple of shows about superheroes (one of them has a mythical theme with very mythology-oriented villains and a team of heroes, the other was like Ghostbusters because the villains were a team of ghosts and they all had really cool powers).

I loved professional wrestling (can you blame me??) and they used to show that on TBS, USA, and The Sports Channel. The WCW was always on TBS and Sports, and USA pretty exclusively got the WWF. Also, Weird Science the series on USA. I loved Carol Burnette & Friends on The Family Channel. I think Family Channel also showed The Muppets, or Nickelodeon. Designing Women and The Golden Girls on Lifetime, or whatever channel used to show it before Lifetime got them (but it feels like they've always had them, doesn't it?). Seinfeld sometimes on the early channels (CBS/NBC/ABC), also on those channels : The Simpsons. Sailor Moon on FOX Kids, also Mighty Morphin Power Rangers on that channel as well. Then, I loved MTV. It took a friend to make me appreciate Beavis & Butthead, but I love that show. The Real World, Singled Out, My So-Called Life, The Jenny McCarthy Show, and all their specials. I saw plenty of Roseanne, Taxi, Wings, though now I'm wondering what channels I saw them on... A little bit of California Dreams, Who's the Boss?, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Full House, Night Court, Alice, Family Ties, Growing Pains, Beverly Hills 90210, and Nasa specials, sometimes. I used to really love Small Wonder, Punky Brewster, and The Three Stooges (that was the channel that eventually became Paramount/UPN Network - it was called TVN-38 when I was really young).

I didn't really value too many shows more than most. I used to like everything, just about.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:43 pm 
Special Edition

my favorate tv show is eureeka's castle and danger mouse.

in disney
adventures in wonderland
fraggle rock

chip and dale'srescue rangers