Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Chip 'n' Dale: Rescue Rangers (Live-Action)

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Yeah, I've heard the McDonald's criticism about Disney for as long as I've been alive. I don't feel it's any more or less true than it's always been--they've always been motivated by the lowest common denominator to suit the whole family, when Walt was alive, in the '90s, and now.

Oh, I really liked the concept of the Wrecked Princesses, even if I have no fondness for WIR, whereas I don't like this. I don't understand why a Disney+ show for the WP concept hasn't happened, actually.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

Loved it!

I really enjoyed every aspect of this movie, really funny. Can't wait to watch it again. :milkbuds:

I can't believe they even did a remix of The Disney Afternoon Theme Song! I love that song and it brings back so many memories!

This guy breaks down (almost) all the Easter Eggs, cameos and references:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl4FTfhpPZo
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:The Disney knockoff film covers gave me a good chuckle, and a few other one-off things (Batman v. E.T.,.
These were basically the only things I liked in it. And a couple times I was like, oh, look at that character in the background. And I paused it when the bootlegged characters were released to see who was made into what...I didn't like that aspect much at all, but I can't deny that some creativity went into that...I also liked Gadget, she sounded like herself, acted like herself... It absolutely could have been worse, but I didn't like it. I made myself finish it; my husband didn't finish it. He said a couple of times that they should have just made a straightforward C+D:RR movie, and I agree. What the heck were they thinking using Peter Pan in this way?! They bastardized a beloved classic character.

C+D:RR is my most favorite cartoon ever, since I was young, so this was just pretty painful for me. Of course, I'm sure plenty of fans enjoyed it, but just not my cup of tea. Just like how Once Upon a Time bothers me because I'm a purist, this movie does too.

*Edit* I also liked when Chip got his "Indiana Jones" outfit.

*Edit* and I liked Bjornsen the Cheese Monger.

*Edit* The actual studio that animated the Sonic the Hedgehog film also animated on this, so they used the actual Ugly Sonic model (per Wikipedia). *Edit again* But this article, referenced on the Wikipedia page, says Sonic's old model was not used/was made from scratch here...https://www.gamesradar.com/chip-n-dale- ... -schaffer/
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I'm not sure what's supposed to be "woke" about Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers. It's just a silly, goofy comedy. Akiva Shaffer's previous movie "Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping" got positive reviews from critics, so they have already shown an affinity for his work. The response here vs the critical reception reminds me of how "Teen Titans Go" haters felt about the movie being well-received. They assumed that the film would get terrible reviews, too, and were shocked when most critics reacted positively to the movie. However, critics didn't go into "Teen Titans Go To The Movies" with that pre-existing baggage and just judged the film on how much they liked the DC parodies and satire on superhero movies.
DisneyFan09 wrote:Captain Putty was one of the most cringeworthy aspects, as he looked like a distant cousin of SpongeBob and his animation style was on the same par.
Captain Putty is supposed to resemble the claymation character Gumby, who has a similar design and animation style.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney's Divinity

I was going to say that about Gumby, but I didn't want DisneyFan09 to feel like I was coming at him. I didn't mind that character because I loved Gumby growing up.

I feel like this is a movie where it's hard to express my full thoughts on. I do think it's bad in the sense that it's not a great movie or anything like that, but not bad as in it's completely terrible. If anything, I kind of hoped it would be worse, and more of a dumpster fire that goes all out in the craziness whereas the finished product is more "boring." So it's not really that bad--sort of bleh like the new Space Jam movie (good comparison to whoever mentioned that) where highlighting different IPs was more the point than anything else. And it's WORLDS better than something like the Chipmunks, Garfield, or Smurfs films--I wouldn't even watch those things *one* time, whereas this is in sort of a no-man's-land kind of boring. So it's not great, but it's not terrible? I never expected it to be good, but I would've enjoyed it more if it was worse (ie, the Pluto idea)? :lol: :lol:

@blackcauldron85: I also liked the part with the Cheesemonger.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Disgusting:
https://youtu.be/2B9OS0pFzBA

And they say that Disney is serious about returning to Hand Drawn animation :roll:
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I was going to say that about Gumby, but I didn't want DisneyFan09 to feel like I was coming at him. I didn't mind that character because I loved Gumby growing up.
Don`t worry, you weren`t coming at me at all ;) And thanks :)
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

Sotiris wrote:^Not only are they a couple, but they have like a gazillion crossbred, misshapen kids together.
like that gag in Family Guy? Laaaame.

I only like Wrecked Princesses b/c it reminds me of the cute Pocket Princess comics. But I still haven't bothered to see all the shorts or the whole WP scene online nor have I bothered to watch RBTI yet.

I like Disney poking fun at itself when its done tastefully, the way they use to do it back in the 90s, like in that animated short with Eisner that would run before the Peter Pan Return to Neverland movie in the old Disney/MGM Animation attraction. House of Mouse and Enchanted was the last time they knew how to do it with taste. But it seems with Shrek and the Stitch promos becoming really popular, they just wanted to go the tackier route to entice the teen boy and non-Disney fans.

I also heard thatugly CGI Sonic and Batman have cameos? WHY? HOW? They're from rival studios. I thought the more intense studio rivalry nowadays was one of the reasons a Roger Rabbit sequel couldn't be done today.
Last edited by unprincess on Mon May 23, 2022 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

There were a lot of non-Disney references in this movie actually. From what I remember:

- Shrek and Donkey toys are being burned at a factory
- Stan Marsh is in a sauna scene
- (verbally only) Paw Patrol, Rugrats, and Nickelodeon are mentioned
- My Little Pony Friendship is Magic ponies save Chip and Dale
- a Lego Movie poster in the background (it was a Les Miserables pun I think)
- a frozen dinner in an apartment has the Looney Tunes on it

Apparently from a YouTube review, Disney actually gives special thanks to their legal team for their assistance in making this movie. Which means they probably spent a lot of money on references. If I ever see the movie again I'll try to watch through the end credits to see if this is the case.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Farerb wrote:Disgusting:
Calling turning 2D characters into CG a "glow-up" is definitely insulting to the hand-drawn medium and their fans. If anything, it's a downgrade. It was so obvious from those ugly CG iterations of the characters they showed.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Kyle wrote:I haven't seen it yet, but isn't the whole point of the CG upgrade stuff supposed to be making fun of how most of the time these upgrades are anything but?
Woody woodpecker, yogi, Alvin and the chipmunks, schooby doo, these are all characters that looked better in hand drawn, we all know it, even Disney.
OK, it's possible they made him uglier on purpose. If that's the case, then I don't mind it that much, but I wish they'd made it clearer in the film, with a joke, for example, or something.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

The director says they wanted to include more cameos from Disney characters, but there were some Disney didn't let them use. I'm glad they at least put some limits, even though I think they went too far anyway with some of the things they let them do. I wonder who those characters were.
And then there were a lot of Disney characters we tried to put in where Disney was like, "don't mess with that one".
Source: https://youtu.be/rZVHLD2qJQ4?t=318
Certainly, there were some that said no, but honestly there were just many within Disney that said no. Sometimes it was easier to get someone from Hasbro to say yes than it was for Disney to let us use their own thing.
Source: https://youtu.be/OjS4ooRNLsw?t=860
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Honestly, I just wish they didn't use Peter Pan, and when you really think about it, it doesn't make any sense. Peter Pan is not some forgotten character, he had a sequel, he appeared in the spin off movie series, he appeared in House of Mouse, in Jake and the Never Land Pirates (which was more recent than Rescue Rangers) and he is represented in the parks. Other characters that should have been the villains are Bonkers, Pete, Fat Cat, Oswald or this guy:
Image.

Even Ugly Sonic could have been the villain and it would have been more creative, but I guess they really wanted that unclever and unfunny joke about grown up Peter Pan.
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

Farerb wrote:Disgusting:
I wonder why Lumiere was not in his new CGI form in this movie.

Farerb wrote:Honestly, I just wish they didn't use Peter Pan, and when you really think about it, it doesn't make any sense.
It does make sense, Peter Pan was also de villain in Once Upon a Time.

D82 wrote:The director says they wanted to include more cameos from Disney characters, but there were some Disney didn't let them use. I'm glad they at least put some limits, even though I think they went too far anyway with some of the things they let them do. I wonder who those characters were.
I guess it's the Disney Princesses. I hope Disney has other plans with them like a Comfy Squad show or something.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

bruno_wbt wrote: It does make sense, Peter Pan was also de villain in Once Upon a Time.
I've seen this argument before, but to me OUAT pre Frozen season did their own version of the characters based on the original stories and not necessarily the Disney films. Yes, we had Snow White humming "With a Smile and a Song" but things like that were more of an easter egg. OUAT's Peter Pan and other characters are divorced from the Disney films, while this film takes the same character and even uses a shot from the film.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

The director has mentioned Disney refused to let them use Mickey.
And then there were characters with Disney where it was like, even with them, where they're like, "Eh, we don't want that in the movie," for whatever reason. Or don't mess with the Fab Five — Mickey, Goofy, Donald [etc.] — don't even do anything with them. I don't want to give away any of the ones... There's a few really good answers to what you're saying that I don't want to say, because I'm hoping that if we ever get to do more, that I'm going to reapproach them and try to get it again.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney's Divinity

That makes sense, Disney refused to let Kingdom Hearts use Mickey Mouse in the first game outside of one ending scene where he was in shadow.

As for the other stuff--Peter Pan isn't even likable in the 1953 film. His character personality is "spoiled brat." No way a movie that will be forgotten in 5 minutes like this one is going to damage a character like that one. If anything, they could've used Tinker Bell, too. In the original film, she was a would-be murderer several times over, so... She could've got in a fight with the assistant cop and been squished like a bug.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

estefan wrote:Akiva Shaffer's previous movie "Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping" got positive reviews from critics, so they have already shown an affinity for his work.
Yes, he's a comedian actor/director/musician...But that movie wasn't based on beloved Disney characters. That was an original movie, if anything "making fun" of popstars in general (I saw it in the theater but not since then so I don't remember it much). If C+D:RR was original with original characters, make a back story of a fake '80s cartoon, I think it would have worked better; Roger Rabbit had a "made up" backstory of being an actor in cartoons and it worked great.

I agree with you, Farerb: there were other characters they could have picked. #shockfactor I guess.

Unprincess, the same studio animated on the Sonic the Hedgehog film as did this film, so that's how that was allowed (I mean, Sega could have said no still, I reckon...
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

The Rescue Rangers writers say they avoided talking down to kids:
"A lot of animation is very particularly driven towards writing down to children... I think that they can really manage much more mature messages and they appreciate it."
Get the full quote: https://t.co/Dp3MNHKJlG
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Chip ’n Dale: Rescue Rangers almost had a very different villain
https://www.polygon.com/23138745/chip-n ... rs-villain

Speaking of the villain, it seems we are not the only ones who have noticed the parallels between the portrayal of Peter Pan in this movie and Bobby Driscoll's tragic life and there's some controversy over it online. I said that maybe the filmmakers didn't know what happened to Driscoll and that's why they didn't realize doing what they did with the character was a bad idea, but now that I've read the details about Bobby Driscoll's life again, I see there are a lot of similarities, so it can't be a coincidence. Most likely they not only knew, but were inspired by it. I think it's sad Disney is taking advantage of Driscoll's tragic story, especially when the company is largely responsible for what happened to him.

Tragic Child Star Gets a Surprise Spotlight in Chip ’n Dale Movie
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... y-driscoll

Did Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers Take Peter Pan Too Far?
https://www.cbr.com/chip-dale-rescue-ra ... ve-disney/

Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers Has Audiences Talking About Peter Pan's Voice Actor
https://movieweb.com/rescue-rangers-vil ... ll-arnett/

Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers movie criticized for similarities between Peter Pan's story arc and life of actor who voiced character in original film
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... y-arc.html

‘Chip ‘n Dale: Rescue Rangers’ Under Fire For Mocking Original ‘Peter Pan’ Child Star Bobby Driscoll, Who Turned To Heroin And Died Penniless After Being Dumped By Disney
https://decider.com/2022/05/25/sweet-pe ... ll-disney/

Farerb wrote:Honestly, I just wish they didn't use Peter Pan, and when you really think about it, it doesn't make any sense. Peter Pan is not some forgotten character, he had a sequel, he appeared in the spin off movie series, he appeared in House of Mouse, in Jake and the Never Land Pirates (which was more recent than Rescue Rangers) and he is represented in the parks. Other characters that should have been the villains are Bonkers, Pete, Fat Cat, Oswald or this guy:
Image.

Even Ugly Sonic could have been the villain and it would have been more creative, but I guess they really wanted that unclever and unfunny joke about grown up Peter Pan.
Yeah, I agree. I suspect Disney let the filmmakers use him for this because Peter Pan is one of the classics that are considered problematic nowadays for its racial stereotypes and they don't care that much about its legacy. Dumbo is one of these movies too and the title character (well, at least his ears) is also used more prominently than most other Disney cameos here.

There are many things we don't know if Walt Disney himself would have approved or not, but I think it's safe to say Peter's portrayal in this film is not something he would have been OK with.
bruno_wbt wrote:I guess it's the Disney Princesses. I hope Disney has other plans with them like a Comfy Squad show or something.
It's likely they're some of the characters Disney didn't let them use. A Rapunzel doll does appear in the film, though, but I think that's all.
estefan wrote:The director has mentioned Disney refused to let them use Mickey.
And then there were characters with Disney where it was like, even with them, where they're like, "Eh, we don't want that in the movie," for whatever reason. Or don't mess with the Fab Five — Mickey, Goofy, Donald [etc.] — don't even do anything with them. I don't want to give away any of the ones... There's a few really good answers to what you're saying that I don't want to say, because I'm hoping that if we ever get to do more, that I'm going to reapproach them and try to get it again.
Oh, so the Fab Five were some of the characters Disney didn't let them use. I guess it makes sense. That "leaked info" in which Pluto was the villain was way off then. I thought it was still possible that person had seen an earlier cut of the movie at a test screening or something in which the story was quite different, but it seems it was totally made up.