Snow White (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Snow White (Live-Action)

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, you didn't like it as a kid? Yes, it's something you realize looks good later. But though it looks good for what they were trying to do, I still personally don't think it looks good for what it should be! Lol.

Historical accuracy. I am a costume designer as a hobby. I mostly just do fairy tales. Occasionally Shakespeare. I don't do requests or make money, I just do it for myself. So, I have learned a lot about fashion, especially from the 13th century to the 19th century. Not everything, I really am still a novice, but I know enough for some things like I can tell you, Beauty and the Beast 2017 was not very historically accurate for Belle. Yes, everyone else was pretty historically accurate, but not Belle. She wore bloomers under her hiked up skirt, which did not exist at the time. The rest of her blue outfit was still fairly historically accurate, but it had the pockets on the outside (which I liked anyway, lol). Her other outfits were mostly accurate...but that yellow dress? Oh no, man, oh no! The sleeves missing was definitely inaccurate. The layered overskirts on the sides of her underskirt were totally inaccurate. And it looked bad. Now, the yellow gold gown in the animated film? Yes, it was inaccurate, but it could be said to be a rather accurate 19th century ball gown.

Here's what Belle's ball gown could have looked like for the live-action film, which was set in the 18th century, which this picture is from:

Here is my idea for Belle's yellow gold gown:

Anyway, I am sad you say historical accuracy has no place in a fantasy land. Remember, in the animated Beauty and the Beast, they say, "After all miss, this is France!" You have got to have some believability in a fantasy land to make the magic seem more special. And if the land is completely fantasy and not based on anything, you don't buy it. Snow White's collar and sleeves are actually based on Renaissance fashion, so that's some historical accuracy, there. Now remember, I said based on, because Snow White's sleeves are half accurate, they just need to be longer. I know you think these all took place "in a far away land", but as a kid I always took that to just mean a place far away from where I lived, and it could still have happened somewhere in Europe. I think I have argued well why there needs to be some historical accuracy in fairy tales. There just needs to be a balance. Certain things historically accurate, others not.

I would like Disney to do something like this:

Snow White's hair still looks short, but it's historically accurate long and just put in a net.

I also would love even more something like this:

I didn't make the left picture, but I did add the white parts to the right one. I don't like the primary color look on Snow White, but the golden skirt and sleeves do look good and make a reference to the coffin of gold and glass she gets put in. I do love the red in her sleeves and hair. It calls back to her lips red as the rose and the apple. I like the blue because it reminds me of snow, you know, wintery, but it also just looks really good. Blue almost always looks good. And then, I thought white would be a better color for Snow White's skirt, because she's Snow WHITE, lol, but Disney will never stray from the original colors. Still, I made my white version.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Yeah, I really didn't like it when I was younger. I used to draw her a lot, but with long hair. But as time went by, I began to like it, and then love it.

Your drawings for the Belle costume are really nice. If this is something you enjoy, you should do it for a living, because your sketches are really nice. I remember you shared a Cinderella poster you made, and it was really cool.

Anyways, regarding the setting of a story, I never thought it was an important aspect. For instance, in Pinocchio, Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty, they never mention where the story takes place. Well, actually, in Cinderella, taking into account that we hear so many French words, we can assume it's in France. What I mean is that I like the name to remain unknown. Because when someone says "in a faraway land" or "in a far-off kingdom", it gives the story a more mysterious tone.

Those ideas for Snow White's costume are nice, and would really look awesome in live action, but their choice for the costume in the animation is perfect. It's such a simple, yet iconic design.
Last edited by Vlad on Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I respect your opinion, and I totally get the idea of, if it's always ina far away land to whoever reads or watches the story, it is more mysterious. I'm glad you like Snow White as she is in the film. You know, I have come to like her design in the film more as I got older, too. I just would prefer something like the last picture I posted. That's just me, though.

Thank you so much for your kind words about my artwork! That really means something to me.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I used to feel the same about Cinderella's hairdo when I was younger. I used to think it made her look old and boring, but again, as I got older, I began to see it made her look elegant, graceful and stylish. And I appreciated it a lot more. However, I was always in love with Aurora's hair. I love those curls.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I actually have always loved Cinderella's princess up-do. I always liked how mature and elegant it made her look. It's a good thing for this Cinderella fan, huh?

Aurora has the best hair of all though! Yes, I also love those curls, and especially her upward-curled bang!
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I've never much liked Aurora's design either. I wouldn't call it ugly like SW by any means though. The prettiest she looks is in the blue dress with the tiara. Something about the lines of the dress (the way they're jagged in a way to suit the film's aesthetic) is very beautiful. About SW, I always thought she looked better in the rags we see at the beginning of the film, mostly for how the colors accent one another not really the design itself, lol. Her main outfit is, well, I've never been fond of all that yellow. @Duster: I love that picture of SW you worked on--the white one with the hairnet-thing and the extra puffs on the elbows. But, yes, as far as her collar-thing that goes around the back of her shoulders, I think the one in the first picture you posted is much prettier what they went with in the movie. But perhaps that would have been too complicated for them at that time when they were still struggling with the Prince's design.

I always loved Cinderella's look though, no matter which outfit. She even looks nice in the work clothes. The ballroom dress was my favorite Disney dress before Tiana came along. The short hair never bothered me with her; I suppose if I had to pinpoint a least favorite aspect of the outfit, it would be the necklace that looks like a collar. The pictures Duster posted for Belle makes me think of that historically accurate series of artwork that was some artist did some years ago. I don't think they ever continued, but at least they did most of the princesses up to that time.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks for liking my white skirt and collar picture, Divinity! I prefer the first pic I posted's collar, too. Which necklace looks like a collar, though? Tiana's? Can I have a pic? By the way, the artist you're thinking of is shoomlah. She did every princess up.to Elsa. If you look her up you can find all her pics, she even did Maleficent!
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I wish my hair looked like a Disney proncesses'... On a good day it's sort of like Merida's lol, but even then I don't have her volume and where I live is humid = frizz.

All of them have unrealistic hair, sadly. If my hair could be short and perfect like Snow White's, I'd go that route. If my ponytails looked like Belle's, I'd be thrilled. Aurora's is beautiful and I wouldn't know where to begin and the curls wouldn't hold anyway. Ariel's bangs- gravity is a thing. :p. I wish my braids were thick like Elsa's. I wish my hair was thicker like Jasmine's. Cinderella never has a bad hair day, does she? Doesn't look like it.

Short or long, Snow White is the fairest in the land and her hair will always be flawless. I really like the hair net idea.
Disney's Divinity

Disney Duster wrote:Thanks for liking my white skirt and collar picture, Divinity! I prefer the first pic I posted's collar, too. Which necklace looks like a collar, though? Tiana's? Can I have a pic? By the way, the artist you're thinking of is shoomlah. She did every princess up.to Elsa. If you look her up you can find all her pics, she even did Maleficent!
Oh, no, I meant Cinderella's black collar/necklace when she goes to the ball.

Oh, yes, shoomlah. I loved that line. I think they eventually did do Elsa and Anna, but they haven't done any sense, I believe. Not sure about Rapunzel. I should go check their posts on DeviantArt again. I would love to see Moana, Mirabel, Raya, and even Namaari.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh. Yeah, that is what we call a choker. I love that part of her outfit. Makes her look sophisticated yet kinky lol.

Shoomlah did indeed do Rapunzel, but I don't think she did Anna, just Elsa.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

This is making the rounds. Even if it gains traction, it's too late to change something this integral to the narrative as rehearsals have already begun. So, unless the dwarfs weren't included from the start, they won't be able to remove them this late in the process. The only change I can see Disney doing at this point is changing the title to just 'Snow White'.

Peter Dinklage Blasts Disney’s ‘Snow White’ Remake: ‘A F—ing Backwards Story About Dwarfs’
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/pete ... 235161936/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

What’s Dinklage’s point exactly? Aren’t dwarves just a staple in the fantasy genre in general? Is he trying to get rid of the concept of that? Because there’s a lot there. From Lord of the Rings to Disney and D&D.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It seems to me he opposes all fantastical creatures that are of short stature and may have been inspired by little people: hobits, oompa loompas, munchkins, gnomes, leprechauns, trolls etc.
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

The thing that bugs me a bit about that interview is that he seems to equate 'little people' to 'dwarves'. I mean, I know little people are often called that (the medical condition is even officially called dwarfism) and it must be a hurtful term to some, but technically dwarves (like the ones from the Snow White fairytale) are fantastical, magical creatures that don't actually exist. They're creatures from folklore, just like fairies or goblins.

There is no way Disney is suddenly gonna axe the Seven Dwarves from this new live-action movie. They're an integral part of the story. I wonder who they're gonna cast the roles though. Maybe the most save route would be to just cast actors of average height, just like they did on OUAT. Though that could anger people since they're then 'taking roles away' from actors with dwarfism (I believe that's what happened with that Snow White and the Huntsman movie). It's a tricky situation.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

The movie is in pre-production and doesn’t start filming until March. They are currently in rehearsals. My issue with what Dinklage said is that we do not know how the seven dwarves will be portrayed. He was just making an assumption. Disney has not released anything about this movie besides the casting of the three main roles. It may be a situation like Snow White: A Tale of Terror where the dwarves were seven forest dwellers and only one was a person of short stature.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Disney Responds to Peter Dinklage’s ‘Snow White’ Live-Action Criticisms
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235080612/
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

According to The Wrap, Disney will substitute the dwarfs with what the studio describes as “magical creatures,” and they are currently looking for voice actors.

https://www.thewrap.com/snow-white-pete ... -response/
Disney's Divinity

:lol: Should the original film and LOTR be banned now, too? Why bother making movies at all at this point.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

No prince and now no dwarfs. Sigh. I was looking forward to this remake, but it seems it's going to be a mess. They should have just cast little people in the roles and called it a day. No one had a problem with fairytale dwarfs outside this one actor.