Strange World

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Untitled Don Hall Film

Post by D82 »

Now that I see that Pixar is going to release behind-the-scenes featurettes about Turning Red and Lightyear, maybe I was wrong about a possible announcement of this film. Though, since WDAS won't have a full special on that day like Pixar or Marvel, maybe we'll get less content from WDAS.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

It's preposterous that Disney is prioritizing other studios like Marvel and Pixar and treating WDAS like the red-headed stepchild (again). If it wasn't for the animation studio, there'd be no Disney company today. They really have forgotten that it all started with a mouse.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:It's preposterous that Disney is prioritizing other studios like Marvel and Pixar and treating WDAS like the red-headed stepchild (again). If it wasn't for the animation studio, there'd be no Disney company today. They really have forgotten that it all started with a mouse.
Maybe the projects from WDAS are at a less advanced stage and they couldn't fill a full special with them, but it's still disappointing that other divisions of the company will have these specials and not them. They could've filled a big part of it with more new stuff about Encanto, for example, which hasn't been released yet either.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

When I said that they'd probably officially announce it, I meant something like a short video on Youtube, but I guess that they might be more focused on Disney+, though it'll be the first time that their next film won't be officially announced before their upcoming film.
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

Personally, I'm fine with WDAS not being lumped with Disney+ stuff
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Sotiris wrote:It's preposterous that Disney is prioritizing other studios like Marvel and Pixar and treating WDAS like the red-headed stepchild (again). If it wasn't for the animation studio, there'd be no Disney company today. They really have forgotten that it all started with a mouse.
I ... don't really get this either.

I've always felt it was weird how WDAS is treated as "less important than Pixar" by the Walt Disney Company. Prior to Frozen and Zootopia I figured it may have been due to the animation studio still rehabilitating its image. But after those successes? What's keeping Disney from showcasing WDAS front and centre?

Or maybe this is just my perception and only my WDAS bias at play? I dunno ...

Anyway, it'll be pretty disappointing if Encanto comes out and we still do not know what's coming next from WDAS (officially, at least.)

I understand the studio's lack of willingness to announce distant future projects given what happened in the past, but it surely it cannot hurt to officially announce the next two films on the horizon, right? These films would have been greenlit and well into production, or almost there.

We always have a good idea what Pixar is cooking up two years in advance. Why not WDAS?

EDIT: It does seem to me that Disney acknowledges WDAS' recent success, but that it still considers the studio less "prestigious" than Pixar in the way it promotes it.

Oh, and off-topic, but I've long wondered why Pixar gets to make three movies every two years, but WDAS has stuck to one movie per year, and sometimes even fails to do that. I'm not saying that having WDAS make the same amount of movies as Pixar is necessarily a good thing, but the disparity in output is notable.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Curiously, the attitude I've seen elsewhere on the Internet is the feeling that Disney is showing favouritism towards WDAS over Pixar, due to Pixar's last two films being relegated to Disney+ in most markets, while Raya and Encanto are given wide theatrical releases. It's only on this forum that the opposite is expressed.

FYI, I'm of the opinion that neither gets favourable treatment. Lucasfilm isn't getting a special like Marvel, even though they have The Book of Boba Fett, Season 3 of The Mandalorian, the Cassian Andor, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Willow series, plus Indiana Jones 5, coming soon and I'm sure many are eager to hear about those. So Disney Animation isn't unique there. Lightyear and Turning Red and those two shows are probably a lot more further along than what WDAS is working on, but I won't be surprised if we hear something about their next movie on Friday.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

And not to mention how WDAS has (once again) risen up from their dud-reputation. It`s shameless how they`ve been treated.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

WDAS had always been on the backburner for modern Disney. It's a real shame, considering how long most of the studio's films have managed to endure.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

From the end credits of Encanto:

Looks like a blue submarine or an airplane, probably an easter egg for this movie.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

With Encanto now out, I wonder when Disney will officially announce the next WDAS movie. We usually know what it is at this point, but it surprisingly hasn't been revealed yet. Maybe they will time an announcement with Encanto's release on D+ in three weeks.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I heard that this is the official name of the film:
https://twitter.com/DisneyAnimation/sta ... 1587531777
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^Thanks for posting! I've read the logo was found on an official Disney site for the press, so I guess it's legit. I like it. It's not great, but better than some other recent logos from WDAS, in my opinion. As for the title itself, I don't know, I guess it's fitting for the times we live in :P. We'll see if it also fits the movie when more details are revealed. The image from the end credits of Encanto looked like a mix between a submarine and a fish to me, but I imagined it probably wasn't a living combination of those two things since that would be too strange. However, now that we know the movie's called Strange World, who knows; maybe it's not too weird for it. I'm really curious about this project now. If Disney already uploaded this logo on one of their sites, I bet the film is going to be announced really soon.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

I'll say, I'm intrigued!

I would be thrilled if this turns out to be a sci-fi film. We need more sci-fi in the Disney canon. (I love the little we already have.)
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

FIRST LOOK: Walt @DisneyAnimation Studios’ “Strange World,” journeys deep into an uncharted and treacherous land where fantastical creatures await. Directed by Don Hall, co-directed & written by Qui Nguyen, & produced by Roy Conli, Strange World arrives November 23, 2022.
https://twitter.com/Disney/status/1468943558191288321
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Hmmm ... so it is sci-fi, but more of a fantastical than hard sci-fi it seems. (I wanted the latter.)

The concept image released so far is nice, but there is nothing in it which grabs my interest. Design-wise, I would like something completely original that knocks my socks off, not a world that looks like we've seen it in many other big-budget sci-fi films already. It looks too Avatar-esque for me right now.

Looking forward to more info that may reveal far more fascinating aspects of the film in the future!

EDIT: I think I am much less impressed by exotic creature and landscape designs these days, than I was 15 years ago. They almost bore me. Not sure why.

EDIT 2: I want something a bit more grounded from WDAS in the future. A film with no fantasy, or magic, set either in contemporary times or throughout any period of the 20th or late 19th century. Grand, large-scale film after grand, large-scale film starts to feel fatiguing. I would love a small-scale, modest WDAS film with a reduced budget.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Brief synopsis and some words by the director:
Inspired by the pulp magazines and popular fiction from the first half of the 20th century, this original action-adventure "journeys deep into an uncharted and treacherous land where fantastical creatures await the legendary Clades, a family of explorers whose differences threaten to topple their latest—and by far— most crucial mission."

“I loved reading the old issues of pulps growing up,” said director Don Hall. “They were big adventures in which a group of explorers might discover a hidden world or ancient creatures. They’ve been a huge inspiration for Strange World.”
Source: https://www.comicbookmovie.com/disney/s ... #gs.idh6zi
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

James Cameron also cited pulp magazines and authors like Edgar Rice Burroughs as a major influence on "Avatar", so if there are similarities, it's because Hall is inspired by the same sorts of stories. Sort of like how "John Carter" brought up comparisons to "Star Wars" and "Avatar", because the original books already inspired those movies before Andrew Stanton made his adaptation.

Don Hall's remarks also bring to mind Jules Verne's "Journey to the Centre of the Earth" and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's "The Lost World."
robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

It sort of makes me think of an 80's animated series which dealt with explorers who travelled through the human body explaining how it worked etc battling diseases and viruses etc. It was developed in France under the name "Il etait une fois... La vie"

Original opening sequence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imP2MZxoM-s

DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

So Strange World is the title after all, huh? It reminds me of the time when Frozen II was rumored to be named Strange Magic. But if that`s the final logo, it`s truly generic and underwhelming.

The whole premise sounds like something that Pixar could come up with and not WDAS.