Lightyear

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Lightyear (Pixar Film)

Post by Farerb »

rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

I still don't understand what this film is about beyond "it's Buzz Lightyear's origin story" (and he looks so wrong with hair)
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

The teaser was kind of confusing. This is set before the '90s, right? But the technology featured is too advanced and the space station looks more futuristic than period. And what is the story supposed to be? Buzz goes to a strange planet and discovers aliens? The teaser hinted at that, but such a thing goes against the concept of Toy Story where its world is supposed to be the same as ours with the only exception being that toys come to life.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Here’s my reaction to the teaser trailer :-)Needless to say this went infinity and beyond my expectations! :-) As long as they don’t do anything weird with this like they did in the good dinosaur or worse than this movie will truly be beyond infinity; my most anticipated movie of next year,Hopefully it will be honourable enough and not ruined like I just said to release my 30th birthday year! :-)

https://youtu.be/sYDuXxUMxDk

Also if I may say so, who needs a new no way home trailer whenever we have this awesome And intriguing trailer instead! :-)
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Director Angus MacLane explains the world the movie is set in in this exclusive interview from EW. Basically, it's the movie in the Toy Story world that inspired the toy.
"'Set in the world of Toy Story' is kind of weird. Another way to get at it, it's a straightforward sci-fi action film about the Buzz Lightyear character," MacLane, who co-directed Finding Dory and multiple Toy Story shorts for Pixar, tells EW over Zoom. "In the Toy Story universe, it would be like a movie that maybe Andy would have seen, that would have made him want a Buzz Lightyear figure."

"The movie doesn't end and then you see Andy eating popcorn," the filmmaker clarifies. "This is its own thing… This is standalone. It's the Buzz Lightyear movie. It's that character but as the space ranger, not as the toy."
He also teases Emperor Zurg might be in the film:
A version of Emperor Zurg, Buzz's infamous nemesis in Toy Story, likely plays a part in Lightyear, as well, though MacLane can't say much. "If the core elements of what Buzz is were to be paid off correctly, you would want to make sure that he had a laser, you'd probably want to make sure that he had rocket legs, and you'd probably want to make sure that at some point he had a recognizable antagonist," the filmmaker teases. "But of course, I'm not at liberty to say anything about anything at this time."
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Now it's a movie in the Toy Story universe instead of a historical event? Then it's not the story of the "real" Buzz Lightyear. They previously said it was "the definitive origin story of Buzz Lightyear, the hero who inspired the toy" indicating that Buzz was a real, historical person who existed in the Toy Story universe and not a fictional character. Get your story straight, Pixar! :roll:
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

"In the Toy Story universe, it would be like a movie that maybe Andy would have seen, that would have made him want a Buzz Lightyear figure."
This is kind of what I thought it might be back when it was first announced. That's why I can see a movie happening for Woody eventually.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:Now it's a movie in the Toy Story universe instead of a historical event? Then it's not the story of the "real" Buzz Lightyear. They previously said it was "the definitive origin story of Buzz Lightyear, the hero who inspired the toy" indicating that Buzz was a real, historical person who existed in the Toy Story universe and not a fictional character. Get your story straight, Pixar! :roll:
Yes, the synopsis made it seem this Buzz was a real person in the Toy Story world, but I think it also works for what the movie really is. I already suspected it would be something similar to Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, because the more I thought about it, the less sense a Buzz origin story set in the real world made.

Personally, I think the movie looks amazing, but at the same time, it's so weird. It doesn't feel like a Pixar movie, but a live-action one, as you Patricier21 said in your reaction. Buzz and his suit look a lot like the toy versions, though. Now I wonder even more why they recast the role. Well, maybe they wanted a younger voice since this Buzz seems a bit younger than the one we know. And perhaps they though they needed a bigger star for the movie? By the way, I guess the Black woman in the same suit as Buzz is the film's co-lead mentioned in those book descriptions.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

That hairstyle again:

Who works at Disney and Pixar that they are so obsessed with this hairstyle? They put it in all their movies.

I guess I'm the only one who thinks it's meh. The interesting thing to me about this project was how they were going to make this movie look like it was a live action sci-fi adventure film made in the 90's, but it seems like it's going to be similar to how MCU/Star Wars look today, which makes this whole "animated" movie rather pointless in my opinion.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:I already suspected it would be something similar to Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, because the more I thought about it, the less sense a Buzz origin story set in the real world made.
I suppose making this a movie instead of the story of a real astronaut allows them to include supernatural elements such as aliens and whatnot without violating the rules of the Toy Story universe.
D82 wrote:Now I wonder even more why they recast the role. Well, maybe they wanted a younger voice since this Buzz seems a bit younger than the one we know. And perhaps they though they needed a bigger star for the movie?
I don't get this either. Since this Buzz is an actor and not a real astronaut, it would have made sense for him to reprise his role and lend his voice for the toy and the video game. I guess in the world of Toy Story, the actor who played Buzz Lightyear in the live-action movie Lightyear was too big for his britches to do voice work and was recast. :P
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

D82 wrote:
Sotiris wrote:Now it's a movie in the Toy Story universe instead of a historical event? Then it's not the story of the "real" Buzz Lightyear. They previously said it was "the definitive origin story of Buzz Lightyear, the hero who inspired the toy" indicating that Buzz was a real, historical person who existed in the Toy Story universe and not a fictional character. Get your story straight, Pixar! :roll:
Yes, the synopsis made it seem this Buzz was a real person in the Toy Story world, but I think it also works for what the movie really is. I already suspected it would be similar to Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, because the more I thought about it, the less sense it made a Buzz origin story would make sense in the real world.

Personally, I think the movie looks amazing, but at the same time, it's so weird. It doesn't feel like a Pixar movie, but a live-action one, as you Patricier21 said in your reaction. Buzz and his suit look a lot like the toy versions, though. Now I wonder even more why they recast the role. Well, maybe they wanted a younger voice since this Buzz seems a bit younger than the one we know. And perhaps they though they needed a bigger star for the movie? I guess the Black woman in the same suit as Buzz is the film's co-lead mentioned in those book descriptions.
The reason why they need a different voice Is actually answered if you look at The Overall Series itself. First of all in toy story 2, do you notice how Tim Allen is credited as buzz light year, and not separated for having voiced [Both the toy and the game version of] belt Buzz [as well as the other BuzzS’ in the Bloopers :-) This is because they are all meant to be this same form of Buzz Albeit The fact as Separate characters with their own soul personality [Albeit Again how very similar they all would be :-) etc. in toy story Toons: small fry [ which BTW it’s actually directed And co-written by Angus MacLane himself :-) Teddy Newton plays the mini buzz, as he is a completely different version of buzz not like the main toy of buzz and the other versions we’ve seen in toy story 2. It’s the exact same case here as this buzz is a human, And therefore different form of buzz then the toy versions, even if the toy versions are indeed modelled off of this human buzz, they are overall their own entity and as is the case with the actual toy story toys here particularly with Woody, the original actor/portrayer/form It’s not the exact same person brother someone who sounds like slash is very very similar to The original form/again overall it’s own thing either way :-)
Last edited by Patricier21 on Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Farerb wrote:That hairstyle again:

Who works at Disney and Pixar that they are so obsessed with this hairstyle? They put it in all their movies.

I guess I'm the only one who thinks it's meh. The interesting thing to me about this project was how they were going to make this movie look like it was a live action sci-fi adventure film made in the 90's, but it seems like it's going to be similar to how MCU/Star Wars look today, which makes this whole "animated" movie rather pointless in my opinion.
The movie looking more modern even if it came out in the 90s in the toy box [a.k.a. toy story world per Kingdom Hearts terms :-), once again makes perfect sense if you look at the rest of the series. In toy story 2, The buzz lightyear attack on Zurg Game is clearly being played on an SNES, and yet it’s graphics, Let alone gameplay style is way more reminiscent of modern day games. Likewise per my terminology of the series official world name, and Kingdom Hearts I I I of which in the timeline would be set again in the 90s or if not the early 2000s has the The Verum game Again with modern day graphics. Possibly because they live in a world with toys and other similar objects to come to life even if they are not known [let alone a world filled with other things That may or may not be actually connected…… :-) Their technology is therefore light years [strong pun tended :-) away from where the technology In the 90s, 2000s, 2010s and modern day etc. would be for our world :-)
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sotiris wrote: I guess in the world of Toy Story, the actor who played Buzz Lightyear in the live-action movie Lightyear was too big for his britches to do voice work and was recast. :P
:lol: That happens all the time, too.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

• The director talks a bit about why they cast Chris Evans as Buzz in another interview:
Also top of mind was finding the right person to voice the titular character. Enter Evans, a skilled performer who can easily find the humor amid moments of gravitas. “That’s what he does as Captain America really well,” MacLane said of Evans’ 10-year run in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). “This is not the same character, but that proved he could do it.”

“He’s a really good comedic actor, he’s a really good dramatic actor, and he’s really good at action,” MacLane continued. “When we pitched it to him, we saw how easy he was to work with and how excited he was for the project. Once he agreed to do it, we started recording, and it was a really natural fit; it couldn’t have gone better. It’s such a breeze every time we work together. Chris is such a great partner for the film, creatively and spiritually. He’s just so excited and just really positive about it. He’s exactly who you think he is. He’s awesome!”
Source: https://d23.com/the-director-of-lightye ... nd-beyond/

• Also, youtuber Grace Randolph says there'll be "substancial LGTB representation" in the film:
I hear there is substantial LGBT representation in #Lightyear as well! (Not Buzz, another character)
Source: https://twitter.com/GraceRandolph/statu ... 4850323460

• And I've noticed we can already know the name of some of the other characters due to their I.D. badges. Buzz's astronaut comrade is called Hawthorne. Her full name is most likely Izzy Hawthorne, which is a name Disney registered not long ago. The Black guy in the control room, who looks like their superior, is called Burnside; the blond woman next to him is called Dellwood or something similar (it's not completely clear in the image) and the robot cat's name is Sox.

Farerb wrote:The interesting thing to me about this project was how they were going to make this movie look like it was a live action sci-fi adventure film made in the 90's, but it seems like it's going to be similar to how MCU/Star Wars look today, which makes this whole "animated" movie rather pointless in my opinion.
It would make sense if it was like a movie from the 90's given that that's when the film that inspired a Buzz toy would've been released in the Toy Story universe, and I think it'll partly will, as the director says he was inspired by movies from that era. But, yes, it also looks like the films made today. I think it'll be a bit of a mix of the two.
Sotiris wrote:I suppose making this a movie instead of the story of a real astronaut allows them to include supernatural elements such as aliens and whatnot without violating the rules of the Toy Story universe.
Yes, exactly. Plus, they have more freedom regarding technology and space travel.
Sotiris wrote:I guess in the world of Toy Story, the actor who played Buzz Lightyear in the live-action movie Lightyear was too big for his britches to do voice work and was recast. :P
:lol: Well, that actually would be a good explanation for him having a different voice here.
Patricier21 wrote:in toy story Toons: small fry [ which BTW it’s actually directed And co-written by Angus MacLane himself :-) Teddy Newton plays the mini buzz, as he is a completely different version of buzz not like the main toy of buzz and the other versions we’ve seen in toy story 2.
That's a good point, I actually didn't know Tim Allen didn't voice the character. In Spain I think the same actor who voices Buzz here provided the voice for Mini Buzz.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:Also, YouTuber Grace Randolph says there'll be "substantial LGTB representation" in the film.
Buzz's friend Izzy seems pretty masculine. Maybe she's gay. Even though having an openly LGBT character in a '90s blockbuster film isn't exactly historically accurate. Perhaps it'll be subtle like the treatment of Jack Whitehall's character in The Jungle Cruise.
D82 wrote:It would make sense if it was like a movie from the 90's given that that's when the film that inspired a Buzz toy would've been released in the Toy Story universe, and I think it'll partly will, as the director says he was inspired by movies from that era. But, yes, it also looks like the films made today. I think it'll be a bit of a mix of the two.
I'm concerned about that as well. It looks too contemporary. It's supposed to be set in the '90s or earlier, but it doesn't give off that vintage feel.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

More interviews with director Angus MacLane:

Lightyear Exclusive Interview: Director Angus MacLane On The 'Real' Buzz's New Movie
https://www.empireonline.com/movies/new ... new-movie/

‘Lightyear’ Director Angus MacLane on Making the Action Sci-Fi Movie That Buzz Lightyear Is Based On
https://collider.com/lightyear-director ... lightyear/

Director Angus MacLane Calls Chris Evans 'Such A Joy' as Buzz in 'Lightyear,' Pixar's Love Letter to Sci-Fi Adventure Movies
https://www.fandango.com/movie-news/dir ... ies-754435

'Lightyear' teaser trailer debuts exclusively on 'GMA'
https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Culture/ligh ... d=80795280

Sotiris wrote:Buzz's friend Izzy seems pretty masculine. Maybe she's gay. Even though having an openly LGBT character in a '90s blockbuster film isn't exactly historically accurate. Perhaps it'll be subtle like the treatment of Jack Whitehall's character in The Jungle Cruise.
I immediately thought of her too. Mainly because she's described as Buzz's friend in one of the book descriptions and friendships between straight people of the opposite sex, while possible, are not too common. It's true that an openly LGBT character wouldn't be accurate for a '90s blockbuster, but I think it'll probably be very subtle, as you say. We'll see if it's actually her or another character. In any case, I like they've paired Buzz with a female co-lead this time. Had they given him a male friend instead, it would've felt too similar to Toy Story.

Speaking of her, I've now noticed the subtitles for the trailer reveal her name is actually Alicia, not Izzy. The registered name must be for this film, though, given that the surnames match, so I guess either her name was changed from Izzy to Alicia or she has a relative in the movie named Izzy, but I think the first option is more likely. I wonder why the actress who voices her hasn't been revealed when she's quite prominent in the teaser and we even hear her voice.
Sotiris wrote:I'm concerned about that as well. It looks too contemporary. It's supposed to be set in the '90s or earlier, but it doesn't give off that vintage feel.
Well, it could also be set in a not too distant future, but supposedly it should look like something that could've been released in the '90s. I don't think, though, they want to completely commit to that concept. In the EW article, the director said that "he hopes to give audiences the kind of sci-fi movie he grew up watching from 1977-91, but with more modern sensibilities". He also said that "in the Toy Story universe, it would be like a movie that maybe Andy would have seen, that would have made him want a Buzz Lightyear figure". He doesn't say this is "the" movie that inspired the toy. And he adds: "This is its own thing… This is standalone. It's the Buzz Lightyear movie. It's that character but as the space ranger, not as the toy." I think it's a bit like the live-action remakes, which are not only remakes, but also partly a new adaptation of the source material, since in many cases they add new elements taken from the books. I wish they just committed to the original concept, but it seems that's not the case.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I prefer the idea that Lightyear is a gritty reboot of the successful kids TV show Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, it's actually what this movie is, but I mean in the perspective of the Toy Story universe.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

The trailer was just meh. But it was interesting to see Buzz` haircut without his hood on.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Pete Docter said at last year's Disney Investor Day that "Lightyear" is meant to be a blockbuster movie in the "Toy Story" universe and that this fictional astronaut led to the creation of the toy and other merchandise. I think some wires may have gotten crossed with the initial announcement, hence the confusion. Pixar didn't backtrack and change their story.

I think what created the confusion was Chris Evans's Tweet last year where he wrote "And just to be clear, this isn’t Buzz Lightyear the toy. This is the origin story of the human Buzz Lightyear that the toy is based on." And everyone assumed he was talking about a real person and not a character in a fictional movie.
Sotiris wrote:I don't get this either. Since this Buzz is an actor and not a real astronaut, it would have made sense for him to reprise his role and lend his voice for the toy and the video game. I guess in the world of Toy Story, the actor who played Buzz Lightyear in the live-action movie Lightyear was too big for his britches to do voice work and was recast. :P
We do have a real-world example of this. Tom Hanks doesn't voice Woody in toys, video games and most non-movie productions. His brother Jim Hanks voices Woody for those things.

And, of course, Patrick Warburton voiced Buzz in the "Buzz Lightyear of Star Command" television series and I remember Pat Fraley (the voice of Krang from the '80s Ninja Turtles cartoon) voiced Buzz in computer games.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland