Encanto

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Encanto

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I like that hand-drawn image of all the family lined up together (including Bruno--I believe that was his name?--with the time powers who's hidden on the outskirts of the posters). I can see them being lined up like that for a family picture at the end of the film, actually.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Alan Tudyk will return and play the toucan, Pico.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Farerb wrote:I have heard that the Spanish dub will be made in Mexico and it will include only Colombian actors or actors who have Colombian ancestry. It will be used in every Spanish speaking country, including Spain, due to its Colombian setting.
Yes, that's correct. Well, all the voice actors for the Spanish dub haven't been revealed yet, but the ones who have are Colombian, so most likely the rest will be too. As I once told, the characters had Mexican accents in the Spanish teaser trailer and many people were worried the real dub would be like that too since they're always recorded in Mexico featuring mostly Mexican actors. The first trailers for a movie usually have provisional voices, though, since dubbings aren't recorded too far in advance, so I don't know if it was the backlash what made Disney make this decision or if it was the plan all along. In any case, I'm very glad it'll be dubbed by people from the country where the movie takes place and that it will be used in every Spanish speaking country. It's what they did with Coco as well, and I think it's the best choice. It would be strange for us here in Spain if the characters spoke in Spanish from Spain being them Colombian.

Also, like it happened with Coco, some actors who provide their voices for the domestic version will reprise their roles for the Latin-American one. So far, María Cecilia Botero (Abuela Alma), Carolina Gaitán (Pepa), Angie Cepeda (Julieta) and Mauro Castillo (Félix) have been confirmed as part of the Spanish cast as well. One interesting thing too is that it seems they'll include some words only used in Colombia. At least there was one at the end of the latest trailer. They usually try to avoid that since the Latin-American dub is supposed to be in neutral Spanish and work for many Spanish speaking countries, but in this case it makes sense to make an exception and it'll contribute to make the film feel more authentic.

I'm a bit nervous about the domestic voices, though. I haven't been able to find any video of Stephanie Beatriz speaking Spanish, but judging by the Spanish words she says in the trailer, I think her Spanish is not perfect. She's quite good, but still sounds like a foreigner to me. That won't be a problem for American audiences in general, but I know it'll be distracting to me. I understand they wanted a Colombian-American for the role, so Mirabel could speak English perfectly, but there must be many Colombian-Americans who can speak both languages equally well they could've cast. But we'll see, maybe she sounds better in the movie. And I hope all the characters pronounce names like Mirabel or Encanto the same way and not differently from one another like it happened in The Book of Life, for example. So far, it seems they are, but who knows. Coco also had a lot of consultants and there were still mistakes in the final film as far as language goes.
Farerb wrote:Alan Tudyk will return and play the toucan, Pico.
I totally forgot about Alan Tudyk this time. I'm glad he'll return. By the way, Pico means beak in Spanish. I wonder who's Parce then. Has that name been changed to Pico or will there still be a character named like that in the film?
Disney's Divinity wrote:I like that hand-drawn image of all the family lined up together (including Bruno--I believe that was his name?--with the time powers who's hidden on the outskirts of the posters). I can see them being lined up like that for a family picture at the end of the film, actually.
I like that image too. I can see them posing like that for a photo at the end of the movie as well. It would be a nice way to finish the film, especially because Mirabel was left out of the family picture shown in the trailer, which most likely takes place at the beginning of the film.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

It's nice to know that Coco got the same treatment. As far as I know trailers are dubbed separately and not necessarily with the same actors, but I don't pay much attention to dubbed trailers since the dubs have gone downhill here.

Was Parce the name according to Merchandise? I don't remember. Maybe that's the Jaguar or the Capybara?
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Farerb wrote:As far as I know trailers are dubbed separately and not necessarily with the same actors, but I don't pay much attention to dubbed trailers since the dubs have gone downhill here.
Yes, exactly. Sometimes the actors are the same in the film and sometimes they aren't. Also, I think the trailers and TV spots that are released closer to the release of the film tend to feature the final voices, since by then the dub has already been recorded.
Farerb wrote:Was Parce the name according to Merchandise? I don't remember. Maybe that's the Jaguar or the Capybara?
No, Parce was one of the names registered by Disney long ago. It hasn't been mentioned again. However, other registered name, Chispi, has been confirmed to be the name of the capybara in merchandise. So, Parce can't be that animal. There was also a plush of the jaguar, but it didn't have a name, so maybe that character won't be as important as the capybara or the toucan. Also, Parce means friend in Colombia and it's a masculine word and it has been revealed the jaguar is female, so I doubt it's its name either.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Yeah, it makes sense that closer to the release, they'll use the actual dub of the film.

Thank you for reminding me about the names in the merch, it foes seem that they might have changed the name.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

While I understand Alan Tudyk being brought in to do animal sounds has become a new in-joke for the studio, I wonder how professional voice actors like Frank Welker and Dee Bradley Baker, who are usually the go-to people to provide animal sound effects in movies and shows, feel about a live-action actor coming into their terrain (although Tudyk has certainly done a lot of voice work outside of Disney).
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

“Made with so much love, butterflies, and happiness.” @SebastianYatra sings “Dos Oruguitas” in Disney’s #Encanto!
https://twitter.com/EncantoMovie/status ... kv_Ug&s=19

https://youtu.be/wHip-I_vZqI
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^I wish they had shown a longer snippet of the song, but at least we got new footage. I bet this is the song they're planning to promote for the Oscars. Here are more details about it (by the way, "dos oruguitas" means "two little caterpillars"):
Sebastián Yatra performs the original song “Dos Oruguitas” in Spanish in the film, as well as “Two Oruguitas,” the English-language version of the song, in the end credits. Previously-announced artist Carlos Vives performs “Colombia, Mi Encanto.”

“Dos Oruguitas” marked a first for Miranda. “This is the first song I ever wrote—beginning to end—in Spanish,” he added. “It’s about the journey of Mirabel’s grandparents—their realization that sometimes you have to let go, you have to do the impossible.” The song is performed in the film in Spanish by Yatra.
Source: https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/art ... w-20211028

The soundtrack cover has also been revealed:

Source: https://www.target.com/p/various-artist ... 2?AFID=UMG

Here are some details about it. More on the link, including the titles of all the songs:
The Encanto soundtrack is available now for pre-order. The physical soundtrack will be available on Dec. 17.

The Encanto soundtrack features eight original songs and a full original score, plus one reprise and one end-credit version of a song from the film. The digital version of the soundtrack also includes instrumental versions of the songs.
Source: https://www.vitalthrills.com/encanto-soundtrack/
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

So Mirabel will have a full I Want song - Waiting on a Miracle

Interesting that the physical release will have both the songs and the score since for Frozen II they released the score only on digital.
Disney's Divinity

D82 wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:I like that hand-drawn image of all the family lined up together (including Bruno--I believe that was his name?--with the time powers who's hidden on the outskirts of the posters). I can see them being lined up like that for a family picture at the end of the film, actually.
I like that image too. I can see them posing like that for a photo at the end of the movie as well. It would be a nice way to finish the film, especially because Mirabel was left out of the family picture shown in the trailer, which most likely takes place at the beginning of the film.
That's why I wouldn't be surprised if it is the ending. It would represent their newfound family unity.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Farerb wrote:So Mirabel will have a full I Want song - Waiting on a Miracle
Yes, I'm glad about that. I guess that song is also likely to be the one promoted for the Oscars. We'll see, maybe they submit more than one. Finally, Isabela also had a song, as we thought, but it's a duet with Mirabel instead of a solo. I guess the shot of Isabela singing at the end of the promo is from that musical number.
Farerb wrote:Interesting that the physical release will have both the songs and the score since for Frozen II they released the score only on digital.
It's great that this time it will be included. I may purchase the physical release then.
Disney's Divinity wrote:That's why I wouldn't be surprised if it is the ending. It would represent their newfound family unity.
Yes, that's true. Maybe that's indeed how the movie ends.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I'm not sure I'll buy the soundtrack. I used to buy them since my old car had a CD player, but when I got my new car it didn't have any (I think they don't make cars with CD players anymore), so I've been using a USB cable connected to my phone in order to listen to music. I'm only getting the Legacy Collection for collecting purposes. However, I'm glad for people who still buy soundtracks that they are releasing everything on disc now.

I'm also glad Mirabel and Isabela will have a duet, I'm guessing it's going to be a reconciliation between the two of them.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

This tweet was removed- what was it?

And isn't it weird that the soundtrack comes out a couple weeks after the film comes out? Or am I mistaken?

All in the Familia Colombiana: Crafting Disney’s ‘Encanto’
https://www.animationmagazine.net/featu ... s-encanto/
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Are you sure they removed it? It still works for me. The tweet was what I quoted with a short clip.

The digital version of the soundtrack is released a week before, it will probably be available on Youtube and Spotify so we'll still get to hear the songs before the movie premieres.
Last edited by Farerb on Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

So your two posts at 1:43 and 10:53 we're the same? The link in the 10:53 post worked for me (I don't know that our time zones are set to the same thing on here...)?

Oh yeah, I forgot about the digital release- thank you! :)
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Oh I forgot about that. I think it was this one:
https://twitter.com/EncantoMovie/status ... SXv1A&s=19

They probably had a mistake or something in the original so they deleted it.
Disney's Divinity

So they'll release the Encanto soundtrack physically, but not Raya's? :roll: :roll: :roll: It's a miracle Raya did as well as it did considering how much they screwed it.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

• Billboard and a couple of theater standees:

Source: https://twitter.com/Disneylandpbp/statu ... 7346516998

Source: https://twitter.com/DisneyPlanetFr/stat ... 6212913153

Source: https://twitter.com/DrissiAdv/status/14 ... 5334206468

• A new German book reveals the age of all the family members. I don't know if it's canon, though. Julieta, Pepa and Bruno all being all 50 is not strange since they're triplets, but it seems too much of a coincidence that Agustín and Félix are also the exact same age.

Source: https://www.amazon.de/Disney-Encanto-Fr ... ef=sr_1_17

• Jared Bush, Lin-Manuel Miranda and Miranda's wife have talked about "Dos Oruguitas" on Twitter:
Jared Bush wrote:I will tell you, no one working on Encanto has been able to make it through this song without crying our eyes out. Not hyperbole. Sebastian Yatra puts so much into Dos Oruguitas - such a vulnerable performance, I can't wait until you get to experience it for yourselves.
Source: https://twitter.com/thejaredbush/status ... 3790993415
Lin-Manuel Miranda wrote:Dos Oruguitas is Vanessa's favorite song yet, and she's my toughest audience. Sebastian Yatra sings it to perfection. You'll hear it so soon, can't wait.
Source: https://twitter.com/Lin_Manuel/status/1 ... 9751811072
Vanessa Nadal (Miranda's wife) wrote:He’s right, it’s my favorite. It’s really beautiful. Really. And it makes you feel all the feels. So, if you like that sort of thing…
Source: https://twitter.com/VAMNit/status/1453847478198054937

blackcauldron85 wrote:All in the Familia Colombiana: Crafting Disney’s ‘Encanto’
https://www.animationmagazine.net/featu ... s-encanto/
Thanks for posting!
Farerb wrote:I'm not sure I'll buy the soundtrack. I used to buy them since my old car had a CD player, but when I got my new car it didn't have any (I think they don't make cars with CD players anymore), so I've been using a USB cable connected to my phone in order to listen to music. I'm only getting the Legacy Collection for collecting purposes. However, I'm glad for people who still buy soundtracks that they are releasing everything on disc now.
Well, if I buy it it's mainly for collecting purposes too. I actually don't have a way to listen to CDs anymore either since my CD player stopped working. I probably should buy a new one before they stop selling them. My car doesn't have one either, but I usually never listen to music while I'm driving. I know it's weird, but I've never gotten used to doing that. Though, who knows, maybe if I had to drive for longer distances I would start doing it.

Regarding the album, unless it's announced at a later time, I guess we're not getting a Deluxe Edition with deleted songs and demos like we've been getting for the last musical films. If so, that's disappointing. I hope it's still announced.
Farerb wrote:I'm also glad Mirabel and Isabela will have a duet, I'm guessing it's going to be a reconciliation between the two of them.
Yes, that's most likely what it is. I'm glad they'll have a duet too. It seems Mirabel will get to sing a lot after all, right? Though she only has a solo ("Waiting on a Miracle"), she sings in four of the other songs ("The Family Madrigal", "We Don't Talk About Bruno", "What Else Can I Do?" and "All of You"). That's more than what some other Disney protagonists have gotten. I wonder what the song that's getting a reprise is. Maybe she sings in it as well.

By the way, I've read some of the previous info we had about the songs again to see if I could guess which description belonged to which. I think it's clear that the one described as a "love song that sounds like it had been around for a hundred years" is "Dos Oruguitas", but which one could be "the big musical set piece in the middle of the film, where in the background a different kind of animation is used"? "All of You", perhaps? Though, that one seems to fit more with the description from this article: "The last song of the movie is pretty extraordinary. Lin really was able to combine lots of different themes from the entire movie into that one song. And it's just an amazing ensemble piece."

Reading that quote again made me wonder if this last musical number will be completely original or if musically it will be a mishmash of some of the earlier songs in the movie like Lin did in Moana with "I Am Moana", as it seems it's one of his trademarks. He also did something similar in Vivo.

I also wonder if "Dos Oruguitas" is going to be sung as a voiceover or if its performer will act as the voice of a character from the movie, like Abuelo Pedro, for example.