Encanto

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Re: Encanto

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Don't know if it has already been mentioned, but the strong woman reminds about Doris from Shrek.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:Here's the original source, in case anyone wants to see it in a higher resolution.
It's interesting to see the three CG princesses of color side by side. Technically, both Elsa and Anna are women of color too since they were retconned into being half-indigenous in the sequel, but everyone seems to ignore that.

D82 wrote:I thought they represented each character's powers and Mirabel didn't have any because she has no gift, but come to think of it, if that's the case; why the portraits for other family members who don't have powers either, like Agustín or Félix, are adorned with flowers?
Perhaps the point the illustration is trying to get across is not that everyone else's has powers besides Mirabel, but that everyone else feels they belong and fit in except for her.
D82 wrote:I wonder if there'll be some meaning behind that.
Well, the candle and the butterflies are yellow, so I assume it's to establish a visual connection to Pedro, who incidentally is also wearing yellow pants, hat, and shoes in the family tree illustration.
D82 wrote:Hands and hearts on Julieta's (which I guess represent healing and health)
It's also an indication of her role as a nurturer.
D82 wrote:Given how customized for each character the clothes are, I wonder if the house also creates them for the Madrigals.
Oh, I hope not. That's just too much. But given how the house brings their shoes and their coffees to them, I wouldn't be surprised if that was indeed the case. I've mentioned this before, but I find this whole arrangement unsettling. The concept may seem fun on the surface, but the implications are kind of disturbing when you think about it. If the house is sentient and can think and feel, is it really OK for it to be the Madrigals' servant for all eternity?
D82 wrote:First, what is written on her skirt, apart from her name with a drawing of her glasses next to it, is not what I previously said, but "yo amo a los Madrigal" (I love the Madrigals).
I think that speaks to her insecurities. It's not common for people to write on their clothes that they love their family. Her trying so hard is maybe her way of convincing herself that she's an equally important member of the family and that she belongs with them.
D82 wrote:I forgot to mention it back then, but I'm really glad it's set in the past and not in the present as we first thought.
Me too, even though it's still a little too modern for my taste.
D82 wrote:And who knows, maybe it's also possible Madrigal is Alma's first surname since there's a matriarchy in this case.
The possibility occurred to me too, but wouldn't that be too progressive for the time and place the film is set? It wouldn't be historically or culturally authentic.
D82 wrote:The only animals I see being proper sidekicks are the jaguar and the toucan, which are always shown near Antonio. They're likely the ones to have the registered names Chispi and Parce.
Good point. That's probably the case.
D82 wrote:There are very few female Disney protagonists who don't have an animal sidekick.
Out of the official princesses, only Snow White and Aurora don't have an animal sidekick, but even they are close to a bunch of woodland creatures. Tiana may also qualify since Louis and Ray don't exactly function as sidekicks.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Another one of these clips, this time with Mirabel and Isabella:
https://twitter.com/DisneyStudiosLA/sta ... 81479?s=19
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

So pretty! It would be better if Raya had a better pose. She could've simply stood facing the audience, giving off that same Lone Ranger vibe a lot of the early images of her had.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Farerb wrote:Another one of these clips, this time with Mirabel and Isabella:
https://twitter.com/DisneyStudiosLA/sta ... 2591081479
Good grief. Could they have made her any more of a dork? :roll:

Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

To me it felt like they're the Colombian version of Anna and Elsa.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I can see how they might have tried to replicate the same dynamic here, but it doesn't quite work in this case. A similar vignette for Frozen is much more playful and works without making Anna the butt of the joke.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I agree.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

If they ever make a live action version, the girl who plays Beth in Stargirl would be perfect.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:Technically, both Elsa and Anna are women of color too since they were retconned into being half-indigenous in the sequel, but everyone seems to ignore that.
That's true, I guess many people don't even realize that.
Sotiris wrote:Perhaps the point the illustration is trying to get across is not that everyone else's has powers besides Mirabel, but that everyone else feels they belong and fit in except for her.
That makes sense; you must be right about that.
Sotiris wrote:Well, the candle and the butterflies are yellow, so I assume it's to establish a visual connection to Pedro, who incidentally is also wearing yellow pants, hat, and shoes in the family tree illustration.
It's true; Pedro is also wearing yellow clothes there. Maybe you're right about that, but what about the shades of blue Julieta's family is wearing? What could they represent?
Sotiris wrote:It's also an indication of her role as a nurturer.
That's true. Byron Howard said the powers are related to the role each member plays in the family, so I guess the same happens with the other characters.
Sotiris wrote:Oh, I hope not. That's just too much. But given how the house brings their shoes and their coffees to them, I wouldn't be surprised if that was indeed the case.
It occurred to me because the different rooms are also customized in a similar way and we now know they're created by the house's magic, but maybe it's just a detail they decided to add to make the designs more interesting. However, if the magic does indeed create them special clothes, maybe that's why Mirabel does her own embroideries. Perhaps if she didn't get a magical room, she didn't get a special outfit either, and she decorates the one she has to not feel less special than the rest.
Sotiris wrote:I've mentioned this before, but I find this whole arrangement unsettling. The concept may seem fun on the surface, but the implications are kind of disturbing when you think about it. If the house is sentient and can think and feel, is it really OK for it to be the Madrigals' servant for all eternity?
On the one hand, I think the house being a character more in the film could be fun and original, but I also understand your point of view. I certainly wouldn't like to live in a sentient house. Not only it could be not OK for the house to be their servant, but for the people living there it could also be a bit difficult at times. They can never be completely alone if they want and they have no privacy. Although, they have full worlds inside the house, so maybe that's not a problem after all. We'll see, I hope these possible issues are not too distracting while watching the film.
Sotiris wrote:I think that speaks to her insecurities. It's not common for people to write on their clothes that they love their family. Her trying so hard is maybe her way of convincing herself that she's an equally important member of the family and that she belongs with them.
That's an interesting observation. It makes sense she would do it for that reason.
Sotiris wrote:The possibility occurred to me too, but wouldn't that be too progressive for the time and place the film is set? It wouldn't be historically or culturally authentic.
Yeah, it wouldn't. It's most likely Pedro's surname.
Sotiris wrote:Out of the official princesses, only Snow White and Aurora don't have an animal sidekick, but even they are close to a bunch of woodland creatures. Tiana may also qualify since Louis and Ray don't exactly function as sidekicks.
Anna and Elsa don't have an animal sidekick either, do they? Maybe Sven could count as one, but he's actually Kristoff's pet.
Farerb wrote:Another one of these clips, this time with Mirabel and Isabella:
https://twitter.com/DisneyStudiosLA/sta ... 81479?s=19
I guess that gives an idea of how their relationship is going to be. Isabela will probably be a fan favorite no matter what because of her looks, but I don't know if she's going to be very likeable in the film. Well, at least at first. I guess they'll also show her positive side and Mirabel and her will end up having a good relationship at the end.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:Maybe you're right about that, but what about the shades of blue Julieta's family is wearing? What could they represent?
Could it symbolize the river Alma and Pedro had to cross? :shrug: It's a stretch, but maybe it's a reminder of the obstacles they had to overcome to get a better life.
D82 wrote:However, if the magic does indeed create them special clothes, maybe that's why Mirabel does her own embroideries. Perhaps if she didn't get a magical room, she didn't get a special outfit either, and she decorates the one she has to not feel less special than the rest.
That's a good theory. You're probably right about that.
D82 wrote:Not only it could be not OK for the house to be their servant, but for the people living there it could also be a bit difficult at times. They can never be completely alone if they want and they have no privacy.
That's true. It didn't even occur to me how creepy it would be for the inhabitants. It's something straight out of a horror movie! :lol:
D82 wrote:Anna and Elsa don't have an animal sidekick either, do they? Maybe Sven could count as one, but he's actually Kristoff's pet.
Anna has a horse named Kjekk and Elsa has Bruni and Nokk. Of course, neither of them are official princesses i.e. part of the Disney Princess brand.
D82 wrote:Isabela will probably be a fan favorite no matter what because of her looks, but I don't know if she's going to be very likeable in the film. Well, at least at first. I guess they'll also show her positive side and Mirabel and her will end up having a good relationship at the end.
Since Isabela is described as "the golden child" and presumably everyone is fawning over her and praising her, it makes sense she'll be a bit conceited or smug. But I doubt it will be to the point she's unlikable or she has a fraught relationship with Mirabel. This doesn't seem to be a story about sisters who don't get along and end up getting closer by the end of the film.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:Could it symbolize the river Alma and Pedro had to cross? :shrug: It's a stretch, but maybe it's a reminder of the obstacles they had to overcome to get a better life.
Who knows, but they also wear purple and pink which aren't usually associated with water, so I'm not sure it could be that.
Sotiris wrote:It's something straight out of a horror movie! :lol:
:lol: Maybe someone will do a horror version for Youtube.
Sotiris wrote:Anna has a horse named Kjekk and Elsa has Bruni and Nokk. Of course, neither of them are official princesses i.e. part of the Disney Princess brand.
Oh, it's true. I was only thinking about the first film; I didn't remember Elsa had animal sidekicks in the sequel. As for Anna's horse, it's so briefly in the movie that I had forgotten about its existence. And I didn't know it had a name. I wasn't sure if Anna and Elsa were part of the Disney princess brand either, but don't they appear along with the other princesses in merchandise or am I remembering it wrong? And they were in Ralph Breaks the Internet with the rest of the official princesses.
Sotiris wrote:Since Isabela is described as "the golden child" and presumably everyone is fawning over her and praising her, it makes sense she'll be a bit conceited or smug. But I doubt it will be to the point she's unlikable or she has a fraught relationship with Mirabel. This doesn't seem to be a story about sisters who don't get along and end up getting closer by the end of the film.
I actually agree with all of that, but even if she's just a bit conceited, in my opinion that could potentially make her less likable than other characters from the film. And yes, I don't think Mirabel and her won't get along, but I think their relationship could still improve by the end of the movie.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:I wasn't sure if Anna and Elsa were part of the Disney princess brand either, but don't they appear along with the other princesses in merchandise or am I remembering it wrong?
They don't appear with the other princesses in merchandise, but they're sometimes included in events like the Ultimate Princess Celebration and in Disney Princess ads (and so is Elena of Avalor on occasion). Basically, Disney bundles them together whenever it's profitable and convenient given the overlap in target demographic while still keeping them separate and distinct from the rest. That way they can sell to licensees two franchises instead of one.
D82 wrote:And they were in Ralph Breaks the Internet with the rest of the official princesses.
Those are supposed to be online avatars who live at Oh My Disney and not the "real" princesses, so I guess it doesn't count.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:They don't appear with the other princesses in merchandise, but they're sometimes included in events like the Ultimate Princess Celebration and in Disney Princess ads (and so is Elena of Avalor on occasion). Basically, Disney bundles them together whenever it's profitable and convenient given the overlap in the target demographic while still keeping them separate and distinct from the rest. That way they can sell to licensees two franchises instead of one.
I see. Thanks for the explanation.
Sotiris wrote:Those are supposed to be online avatars who live at Oh My Disney and not the "real" princesses, so I guess it doesn't count.
Oh, OK. I guess that's their excuse for using them without having to include them officially in the franchise.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Producer Yvett Merino and co-director and co-writer Charise Castro Smith gave a presentation about Encanto via zoom for the Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute 2021 Leadership Conference, followed by a Q&A session. Here's the full video if you want to watch it. They revealed a lot of things about the film and shared several images. First, I'll post the images and later I'll update this post with some of the info they said.

WDAS 60th motion picture logo

I wonder if this same logo will go in front of the movie like they did with Tangled and its 50th animated classic logo.

Stills from the movie

Image Image Image

I'll explain the sentence in the last still later.

Pedro's portrait

They also showed a very short clip with no sound of Mirabel coming down the stairs and talking to her parents. In it, the portrait of her grandfather Pedro can be seen. He looks quite different here than in the concept art, right? If you notice, there are butterflies around him.

Concept art

They revealed this concept art of the magical realm inside Isabela's room and also confirmed the tree is part of the magical world inside Antonio's room.

Three pieces of concept art of the Encanto. We can see the doors leading to different worlds in the first one; the one below it seems to be the entrance to the Encanto; and the one on the right is a picture of the entire village, with the magical house in the background.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

That picture of Mirabel with the questions is probably the best in-film image that's been put out so far. Still, there's something about her there that has me thinking of WALL E??

I like Pedro's design. The concept art for Isabela's bedroom reminds me of the centaur section of Fantasia.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:I wonder if this same logo will go in front of the movie like they did with Tangled and its 50th animated classic logo.
I think it will be and maybe the studio's logo in the blue background with the yellow butterflies will be included too.
D82 wrote:Stills from the movie.
Mirabel and Antonio seem really close. Is there a reason for that aside from the fact he's the baby of the family?
D82 wrote:I'll explain the sentence in the last still later.
I think the directors touched upon this in the GMA article too. It relates to the themes of the film, right?
D82 wrote:He looks quite different here than in the concept art, right? If you notice, there are butterflies around him.
He looks very different from the Art of Encanto cover, but not so different from the family tree illustration. He looked better in the latter. I can't say I like his CG design. He looks like Flynn Rider with a bigger nose. The character design overall on this movie is a :down: for me. Very disappointing.
D82 wrote:They revealed this concept art of the magical realm inside Isabela's room and also confirmed the tree is part of the magical world inside Antonio's room.
Isabela's room looks beautiful, even though the pink is excessive. It borders on being tacky which may actually be the intent.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:Mirabel and Antonio seem really close. Is there a reason for that aside from the fact he's the baby of the family?
Well, they also share the same room.
Sotiris wrote:I think the directors touched upon this in the GMA article too. It relates to the themes of the film, right?
Yes, I'll post it very soon.
Sotiris wrote:Isabela's room looks beautiful, even though the pink is excessive. It borders on being tacky which may actually be the intent.
Well, it's a concept art. Maybe the actual room will be a bit different.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:Well, they also share the same room.
Right. I completely forgot about that.