Turning Red

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Turning Red

Post by D82 »

Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^Thanks for posting! I think the synopsis for the second book is also new; at least I hadn't seen it before:
Based on Disney and Pixar's film Turning Red, this middle grade novel explores the crazy, amazing, and often-times hilarious experiences of thirteen-year-old Meilin Lee.

Meilin Lee started out like any other thirteen-year-old: hanging out with her friends, dealing with middle school, and helping her family. You know, normal stuff. Then one day . . . POOF! Suddenly, she was a GIANT. RED. PANDA. She thought her life was over, but it turns out it was only the beginning.

People may think they know the real Meilin, but don't be fooled by the fluffy exterior. This Red Panda Girl has A LOT to say!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

If this was a family curse, how come her parents didn't warn her that this might happen? By the way, do we know if Mei's father will be in the picture? We've only seen her mom so far.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

New book cover, image and synopses from an online catalog:

Image Image
TURNING RED: ULTIMATE ACTIVITY BOOK (DISNEY PIXAR)
Mei has a BIG Panda Problem! But she can solve anything with her friends and family by her side.
Help her with 64 pages of puzzles, games, activities and colouring featuring the art and quirky characters of Disney and Pixar’s Turning Red in this Ultimate Activity Book!

TURNING RED: SUPER STICKER BOOK (DISNEY PIXAR)
Mei is a normal thirteen-year-old girl. She tries hard at school, has fun with her friends and helps her family, until one day, she gets a little over-excited and POOFS into a giant red panda!
Come along for a journey of friendship, magic and self-love in this super sticker book with activities, puzzles and heaps of stickers featuring all your favourites from Disney and Pixar’s Turning Red.

TURNING RED: GIANT ACTIVITY PAD (DISNEY PIXAR)
Mei gets the surprise of her life when she poofs into a GIANT red panda! Follow her antics as she and her besties navigate school, parties, family and concerts.
This explosive GIANT activity pad includes 32 pages of colouring and activities, plus a sticker sheet and an awesome scene to decorate.
Source: https://www.scholastic.co.nz/media/5707 ... parade.pdf

Sotiris wrote:If this was a family curse, how come her parents didn't warn her that this might happen?
I don't know much about curses, but something that occurs to me is that maybe it's a very old one which is only fulfilled under certain circumstances and her parents don't even know about it or don't tell her about it because they think it's very unlikely to happen to her.
Sotiris wrote:By the way, do we know if Mei's father will be in the picture? We've only seen her mom so far.
You're right. I hadn't thought about it. Maybe only her mother will appear.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Images from the wrap party. They've finished production very early, haven't they? I guess the boys in the pictures are the members of the boy band Mei is a fan of.

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/CWQ4OiDvUlh/

Source: https://twitter.com/vanillacrawfish/sta ... 7391687683

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/CWP6W77rYUr/

Source: https://www.instagram.com/bjoyyyful/ (Instagram stories)
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

So far this feels like the most promising animated film for 2022. It seems that Domee Shi was confident with her vision and that the production went really well. Good for her.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:I guess the boys in the pictures are the members of the boy band Mei is a fan of.
So, they're not just using a Backstreet Boys song for the trailer, they are actually doing a parody of them in the film? I'm not sure how I feel about that. It sounds something DreamWorks or Illumination would do.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

• A couple more pictures from the wrap party:

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/CWPwVBprp9C/

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/CWRrn_zvXoh/

• Also, on the Pixar Post Forum they posted a tweet from a Pixar artist who says a new trailer will be released on Thanksgiving:
Saw this gem of a movie last night and I couldn’t stop crying I don’t think I’ve ever related to a film the way I did with this. I laughed and cried so hard bc this film is me as an Asian 13 y.o girl again. LIKE PLS EVERYTHING ABOUT IT IS SO GOOD

It’s a story about moms and daughters. Like I couldn’t stop thinking about my mom the whole time

There’s a particular aspect of this film I can’t talk about until they release the next trailer on thanksgiving but like when I say I related so hard, I RELATE SO HARD
Source: https://twitter.com/_minababes/status/1 ... 4179507204

Farerb wrote:It seems that Domee Shi was confident with her vision and that the production went really well. Good for her.
I guess so; otherwise most likely they'd still be working on it. It's a good sign.
Sotiris wrote:So, they're not just using a Backstreet Boys song for the trailer, they are actually doing a parody of them in the film? I'm not sure how I feel about that. It sounds something DreamWorks or Illumination would do.
They have more in common with the Backstreet Boys that I thought. They're pretty much like a teen version of them. I don't know how big their role will be, though. Will they just appear on TV and posters or will they actually be part of the plot and Mei will get to meet them?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:I don't know how big their role will be, though. Will they just appear on TV and posters or will they actually be part of the plot and Mei will get to meet them?
I think she'll go to one of their concerts and maybe even get to meet them. I just think boy band parodies are tired. Everyone and their mother has done that.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Since the movie is about a teenage girl in the early 2000s, it makes sense to me that this would be the kind of music she would listen to. I assume there's a semi-autobiographical element to the story and Domee Shi listened to bands like Backstreet Boys and *NSync when she was the main character's age.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

This movie looks kind of bad now. The boyband stuff is a massive cringe. :headshake:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

^I agree, but I think audiences are going to eat it up. I bet the boy band scenes become the most popular ones from the film.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

Speculation time: one of the 5 boy band members has a similar animal tf curse. :milkbuds:
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:I think she'll go to one of their concerts and maybe even get to meet them. I just think boy band parodies are tired. Everyone and their mother has done that.
Maybe it's also possible they'll appear in a dream sequence, either in Mei's dreams or daydreams. The first image from the wrap party I posted seems to suggest so. Though, I guess it's likely she also goes to one of their concerts, as you said, and/or she gets to interact with them. Personally, I don't find it tired, but maybe it's just because I haven't seen many movies in which bands like this appear. The only one that comes to mind is A Goofy Movie and that one wasn't even a boy band.
estefan wrote:Since the movie is about a teenage girl in the early 2000s, it makes sense to me that this would be the kind of music she would listen to. I assume there's a semi-autobiographical element to the story and Domee Shi listened to bands like Backstreet Boys and *NSync when she was the main character's age.
Yes, the movie seems quite inspired in her own teenage years, so the inclusion of boy bands makes sense to me too.
Last edited by D82 on Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

The only thing I'm reminded of is the Backstreet Boys special on Arthur.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:Maybe it's also possible they'll appear in a dream sequence, either in Mei's dreams or daydreams. The first image from the wrap party I posted seems to suggest so.
You're probably right. It makes sense she'd be dreaming about them.
D82 wrote:Personally, I don't find it tired, but maybe it's just because I haven't seen many movies in which bands like this appear. The only one that comes to mind is A Goofy Movie and that one wasn't even a boy band.
Just on the top of my head there's Despicable Me 2, Trolls Wold Tour, Bob's Burgers, American Dad, The Simpsons, South Park, We Bare Bears, Big Hero 6: The Series, Gravity Falls, Phineas and Ferb, Milo Murphy's Law, Kim Possible, Star vs. the Forces of Evil, SpongeBob SquarePants, and I'm sure many more.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Pixar has officially announced Billie Eilish and her brother Finneas wrote three songs for the boy band in the movie. They also revealed their voices.
Meet Pixar’s first-ever boy band in Turning Red… #4Town, with three all-new songs written by Billie Eilish & FINNEAS. The five harmonious voices of #4Town are: Jordan Fisher, Grayson Villanueva, Josh Levi, Topher Ngo and FINNEAS.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland