Goofy in How to Stay at Home

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Goofy in How to Stay at Home

Post by estefan »

Goofy’s back in a trio of all-new, hand-drawn animated shorts from Walt Disney Animation Studios, offering hilariously relatable insights on How to Stay at Home with such topics as mastering the skills of “How to Wear a Mask,” “Learning to Cook,” and “Binge Watching.” Like most people, Goofy spent the last year and a half staying at home… so it seemed only fitting to Eric Goldberg (the Genie in Aladdin, co-director Pocahontas) that Goofy could provide some good-natured lessons in How to Stay at Home and show how to make the best of a challenging situation.

Last fall, Goldberg pitched several shorts to Disney Animation chief creative officer Jennifer Lee and president Clark Spencer, who recognized that Goofy was the perfect “everyman” to relive some of the common experiences we’ve had during these unprecedented and unusual times. Goldberg directed all three of the films in the series and is the supervising animator on “How to Wear a Mask,” while fellow Disney Animation veterans Mark Henn and Randy Haycock are the supervising animators of “Binge Watching” and “Learning to Cook,” respectively. The Walt Disney Animation Studios Presents Goofy in How to Stay at Home series, streaming exclusively on Disney+ beginning August 11, is produced by Emmy Award® winner Dorothy McKim (Prep & Landing, Meet the Robinsons). Disney Legend Bill Farmer, the voice of Goofy since 1987, provides the charismatic and clumsy character’s familiar vocals, while actor Corey Burton is the narrator of each short.
https://d23.com/inside-goofys-hilarious ... n-studios/

Eric Goldberg and the animators probably already have animation desks at home, which is probably why Walt Disney Animation Studios was able to make these in hand-drawn animation.

Nonetheless, this is incredibly exciting!
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Goofy "How to Stay at Home" Shorts on Disney+!

Post by Sotiris »

This is great news! I'm glad we're getting more 2D shorts from the studio and that the three veteran animators left there were given something more substantial to do than pencil tests and draw-overs. However, I'm concerned about how these shorts will look. Based on the still below, it seems these shorts will look much more digital than even How to Hook Up Your Home Theater did. The backgrounds in particular are very simple and graphic and lack detail and dimensionality. Goofy also looks flat and lacking shading. Overall, that still looks like it came from a cheap, web-animated commercial than a traditionally-animated short. I hope in motion they will look much better than that.

Source: https://twitter.com/DisneyD23/status/14 ... 2973061149
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Zooming in on the still, it's clear the character was either drawn or traced digitally. The lineart is severely lacking.

D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

It's true that judging by that still the quality of the animation will probably leave a lot to be desired, but this is great news to me nonetheless.
Sotiris wrote:I'm glad we're getting more 2D shorts from the studio and that the three veteran animators left there were given something more substantial to do than pencil tests and draw-overs.
I'm glad about that too. I also like the idea for the shorts and I think Goofy is the perfect choice to star in them.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Oof, that does look rough. and not in a good way that's full of life either. I dont understand why they aren't using, say, TV paint to get more of that hand drawn quality. Aaron blaise uses it to great effect.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Woohoo! Hand-drawn animation at Disney again!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Logo, description, and a very brief snippet.

Source: https://dmedmedia.disney.com/news/disne ... ofy-shorts
Goofy’s back in “Disney Presents Goofy in How to Stay at Home,” a trio of all-new, hand-drawn animated shorts from Walt Disney Animation Studios. In these new shorts from acclaimed master animator/director Eric Goldberg (“Aladdin,” “Pocahontas,” “Fantasia/2000,” “Moana”) and Emmy Award®-winning producer Dorothy McKim (“Meet the Robinsons,” “Prep & Landing,” “Get a Horse!”), Goofy – the clumsy, charismatic and lovable Disney “everyman” character who has entertained audiences since his screen debut in 1932 – demonstrates how to make the best of challenging situations. Bill Farmer, the voice of Goofy since 1987, provides the familiar vocals for the character, and versatile actor, Corey Burton, is heard as the narrator.
Source: https://dmedmedia.disney.com/disney-plu ... ay-at-home

Articles

Inside Goofy’s Hilarious and Relatable How to Stay at Home Shorts from Walt Disney Animation Studios
https://d23.com/inside-goofys-hilarious ... n-studios/

Eric Goldberg Explains How Goofy's New Disney+ “How to Stay at Home” Shorts Came About
https://whatsondisneyplus.com/eric-gold ... ame-about/

Director Eric Goldberg Talks About “Goofy in How to Stay at Home” and Points Out a Few Easter Eggs
https://www.laughingplace.com/w/article ... ster-eggs/
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I like the logo. The animation looks OK, but I don't know how to explain it, like a bit too clean? Anyway, I'm looking forward to watching these shorts.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

I think you are looking for the word 'sterile'. :) I see it too, and I am almost sure it is attributable to the lineart quality as shown by Sotiris above.

I am not really sure why they did this. Since this is being overseen (and animated??) by Goldberg I have no doubt the animation articulation itself will be up to par, even if the line rendering is a smidge disappointing. We'll see. Perhaps in movement these issues will disappear.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

I absolutely love the concept of these shorts, and it’s welcoming to get some finished hand-drawn work from these amazing artists.

As for the overly-clean line art … I can deal with that, but who wants to bet it was some exec’s bright idea to go for this look? Conceptually, it’s kind of similar to what DNR does to Xerography. :lol: But realistically, I’m guessing that “inking” with vector-based lines like this was partially a budget issue, and partially an aesthetics issue.

I imagine a lot of the higher-ups have forgotten how appealing pencil work can be, if they even knew in the first place.

Regardless, I can’t wait to check these out! We could certainly use some light-heartedness over what our daily lives have turned into.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

How to hook up your home theater was originally gonna be their first digital short, but they ended up not doing much of it, maybe they were avoiding it looking like this. Just a theory.

You have to put some extra effort in to making the lines look more pencily. they certainly could if they wanted to.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

It’s hard to judge on just one image. Very much looking forward to this though. I hope Eric Goldberg pitches more hand drawn shorts to Jennifer Lee :)
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

@Elladorine

You hit the nail on its head with the terms "vector-based inking." I think what is happening here is that the drawings are being done digitally using a stylus and graphic tablet. But, rather than opting for raster brushes in their software, they are using vector tools.

I am on my phone right now, so I cannot edit the above image to illustrate, so I'll try to explain this as best as I can.

Guys, look closely at the back of Goofy's neck (on Sotiris' pic), and observe the outer edge of his green collar. You should be able to see that part of the curve at the back is perfectly straight. It's a small bit, but noticeable. What this tells me is that Goofy has indeed been drawn digitally, and as is bound to happen sometimes - as the animator/inker was carefully drawing the final lineart - a tiny software glitch caused a loss of part of the data from the tablet. The software filled in the missing information the only way it knows how ... by inserting a straight line between both points. I will concede that this could also be human error, with the software trying to compensate in a similar fashion.

However, technically it doesn't completely rule out a raster approach, as I have had similar stuff happen to me while usingn a raster brush, but such incidences are rare.

Agreed with Kyle that this look can be avoided with some effort. Personally, I would just use a raster brush, however I am certain there actual vector brushes these days that allow for expressive and beautiful lines too.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Red and Green lines are parallel to straight lines in the line art.

I'm starting to suspect I am overanalysing this way too much, and will feel pretty silly if it turns out those "straight" lines aren't straight at all! :lol:
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Jules wrote:I think you are looking for the word 'sterile'. :) I see it too, and I am almost sure it is attributable to the lineart quality as shown by Sotiris above.
Yeah, it's most likely that.
Jules wrote:I am not really sure why they did this. Since this is being overseen (and animated??) by Goldberg I have no doubt the animation articulation itself will be up to par, even if the line rendering is a smidge disappointing. We'll see. Perhaps in movement these issues will disappear.
I hope so.
PatrickvD wrote:I hope Eric Goldberg pitches more hand drawn shorts to Jennifer Lee :)
Me too. It would be amazing if they kept making more hand drawn shorts.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Poster.

Source: https://twitter.com/disneyplus/status/1 ... 9679912962
In “Learning to Cook,” Goofy is wearing the same outfit he wears in the 1942 short “Mickey’s Birthday Party,” where he bakes Mickey a cake! The music used in Goofy’s cooking montage in “Learning to Cook” is also from the 1942 short “Mickey’s Birthday Party!” The can of beans in Goofy’s pantry is a nod to Walt Disney, who was known for having a can of beans in his pantry for his favorite chili. Many of the sound effects featured in all three shorts are original sounds from Disney Legend Jimmy MacDonald’s library from the ‘40s and ’50s.
Source: https://twitter.com/DisneyAnimation/sta ... 3895880704
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

"Learning to Cook" from "Disney Presents Goofy in How to Stay at Home" l Original Short l Disney+:
https://youtu.be/suDp1a71mW8
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

That's it? Two minutes? So the others are two minutes as well?! What's all the fuss about?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

farerb wrote:"Learning to Cook" from "Disney Presents Goofy in How to Stay at Home"
https://youtu.be/suDp1a71mW8
The backgrounds were really distracting. Goofy felt out of place in that kitchen. The ending was too abrupt. Overall, the short felt incomplete and rushed. Like it was more of an animation test than a finished product. I did, however, enjoy the animation of Goofy by Randy Haycock. It was vibrant and expressive and you could tell it was real 2D and not vector-based.
farerb wrote:That's it? Two minutes? So the others are two minutes as well?! What's all the fuss about?
What did you expect? The studio has no pipeline in place for 2D animation anymore. Those six minutes of animation took them almost nine months to complete. There's no way the Tiana series will be 2D unless they outsource the animation production.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

I mean, they have other 2d series, like the lion guard.

Anyway, the animation is good from what I've seen, but the backgrounds look very rudimentary. They could probably reuse old backgrounds to better effect.

I'm trying to pin down what feels off about them. looking at house of mouse, is it that these have lines and those looked more lineless?