Bambi (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Bambi (Live-Action)

Post by Sotiris »

farerb wrote:Yes, they might add more from the book, but MPR took ideas from the book and we saw how that turned out. IMO Disney of today can never make a serious, sincere and melancholic piece like Bambi, they will probably add unfunny jokes and make it all cynical and heartless like all the other remakes.
You're not wrong but it's not just the remakes that are like that. Is the recent output from WDAS or Pixar much better? An earnest, pensive, slow-paced film like Bambi would have never been made today by either studio. Neither would Fantasia for that matter. They aren't considered commercial enough anymore.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

This is what happens when we spread WGTC news folks! Disney starts getting ideas!

In all seriousness, I thought the CGI in TLK was impressive if inferior at capturing emotion like traditional animation. Kind of interested to see how these photorealistic deer turn out.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Thumper is probably going to be some obnoxious sidekick now. Flower will probably be completely revamped because the original character will be considered too effeminate for a modern-day audience. Or they'll make him gay but it'll be one brief allusion to that which will never be brought up again and everything else featuring him in the movie will try to downplay his sexuality.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Sotiris wrote: You're not wrong but it's not just the remakes that are like that. Is the recent output from WDAS or Pixar much better?
I can't group them together with the remakes because I still find films like Coco or Moana to have a tremendous amount of sincerity, even if they are not as serious as Bambi. As much as I want something new from WDAS, I don't think their recent output (except Ralph) was bad.
I agree that Pixar relied too much on sequels recently, but sometimes they'll come up with something like Coco. The remakes will never achieve that cause they're not here to make art or something they are passionate about, they're here to make money.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I liked Coco a lot. It's the only original Pixar film I've enjoyed from this past decade. Brave was a letdown, The Good Dinosaur was terrible, and Inside Out didn't work for me even though that tends to be the favored film. I think it's highly overrated and while it has some interesting ideas, I don't care much for the execution. The human characters are all cliches and unmemorable and I don't think the emotions benefited from the standard buddy comedy formula.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Something tells me they won't change the death of Bambi's mother, meaning we still won't see it onscreen like in the original. It'll be like in TLK where they didn't alter the death from the animated film in any shape or form, just a shot-by-shot remake. Of course that applied to the whole movie basically but still.
You're right, they'll probably won't change it. It's been such a harrowing, iconic and traumatic scene that it would've been downright outrageous if they actually changed it.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Will this have an all-star voice cast ?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Skyler Shuler wrote:Don’t be shocked if we get live-action Bambi news soon, because the project is moving forward.
Source: https://twitter.com/SkylerShuler/status ... 3706024960
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Well, I`m shocked, anyways :P We haven`t heard anything about this project until now. So it wasn`t certain that Disney was going to see Bambi through. Since the live action remake of Dumbo proved how not all of the remakes of Walt`s pictures were Box Office baits. But Bambi was one of my true favorites of mine, so I`ll hope that Disney will give it some justice.
Hardbackyoyo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Hardbackyoyo »

As long as they do it like The Jungle Book (2016), and borrow elements from both the original animated movie and its source material, it may turn out good.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Hardbackyoyo wrote:As long as they do it like The Jungle Book (2016), and borrow elements from both the original animated movie and its source material, it may turn out good.
Well said :up:
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

My prediction for the Bambi remake:

1. There will be a young girl or a teenager that will actually be the focus of the film, Bambi will only be a secondary character. The girl is an activist for animals rights and against hunting, but her father is a CEO of some company that harms animals and the forest in some way. There's a conflict, everyone is sad.

2. Bambi's mother doesn't die because we need to think of the children, instead she is only injured, the girl hides her and tends to her wounds, her main goal is to reunite Bambi with his mother.

3. Thumper and Flower will be more like Timon and Pumbaa. They'll have a lot of pop culture references and jokes.

4. Instead of Bambi's rival, there will be a rival for Feline, there will be a huge love triangle and both of them will fight for his affection. There will be a huge battle between them and apparently that is a moment they have been waiting for their whole lives.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Farerb wrote:My prediction for the Bambi remake:

1. There will be a young girl or a teenager that will actually be the focus of the film, Bambi will only be a secondary character. The girl is an activist for animals rights and against hunting, but her father is a CEO of some company that harms animals and the forest in some way. There's a conflict, everyone is sad.

2. Bambi's mother doesn't die because we need to think of the children, instead she is only injured, the girl hides her and tends to her wounds, her main goal is to reunite Bambi with his mother.

3. Thumper and Flower will be more like Timon and Pumbaa. They'll have a lot of pop culture references and jokes.

4. Instead of Bambi's rival, there will be a rival for Feline, there will be a huge love triangle and both of them will fight for his affection. There will be a huge battle between them and apparently that is a moment they have been waiting for their whole lives.
No offense, but I doubt that Disney would go for the two first changes. After all, the remake of Lady and the Tramp proved how Disney could remake a movie and be faithful to the original story. I highly doubt they would ever would revive Bambi`s mom. It`s such an iconic (and harrowing) moment that I doubt that Disney would ever tamper with it (a more likely suggestion would have her to come back as a ghost). Your two latter suggestions sounds more plausible to happen (despite how I think that both Thumper and Flower are great characters on their own right and don`t need to be like Timon and Pumbaa).
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

DisneyFan09 wrote:I highly doubt they would ever would revive Bambi`s mom. It`s such an iconic (and harrowing) moment that I doubt that Disney would ever tamper with it (a more likely suggestion would have her to come back as a ghost).
Yeah. If they didn't spare Mufasa, they won't spare Bambi's mother either. Although they might actually give her a name.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Yeah. If they didn't spare Mufasa, they won't spare Bambi's mother either. Although they might actually give her a name.
Most likely. As a Bambi-obsessed kid, I always thought it was odd that she was never given a name. But yeah, I know that I`m nitpicking.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Why was Jungle Book good while The Lion King sucked? Were the animals animated more emotionally in Jungle Book? Because this should be more like Jungle Book and I hope to God it is not like Lion King.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Yeah. If they didn't spare Mufasa, they won't spare Bambi's mother either.
Sorry for not editing my previous response, but I thought you would most likely see my response in a new post. The reason for not sparing Mufasa in the remake was how pivotal his death was to the story. The whole plot revolved around his death, so it was expected that he was going to die. While Bambi`s mom was also an integral part to the story, it`s still not as crucial as it was to The Lion King.

While that being said, I think it`s somewhat unfair how Bambi has been more remembered for the death than The Lion King. Sure, it`s not as the death in the latter picture has been completely dismissed, as it`s been labeled as a traumatizing part of the movie. Yet regarding the legacy and reputations of both movies, it`s notable how Bambi has been more labeled for the death than Lion King has ever been. Perhaps because how Bambi is more mellow and subdued and often remembered for it`s mellow tone and (yes, let`s be real here, guys) the dated approach to a story. Lion King is more cherished as a whole (and deservedly so), but the death is even more harrowing and explicit in Lion King. Cause unlike Bambi, the death is shown on-screen. But most likely because of how storytelling had evolved and it was more acceptable to be more explicit about depictions of deaths in the 90`s than it was in the 40`s.
sunhuntin
Special Edition

Post by sunhuntin »

with bambi, the scenes following the death, with his father, drive the point home. the silence, the quiet voice, the snow falling and all but obscuring the picture.
with lion king, the immediate scene is scar telling the hyenas to kill him, followed by humorous falls into the thorns. a few minutes later, we are singing hakuna matata, and all is right with the world.

bambis mother was handled in a much more serious and mature fashion that did not seek to shield the young audience from the pain of someone so young losing the only parent he had ever really known. lion king sought to help the audience forget the tragedy and remind them everything would be ok. yes, with bambi we moved quickly on to the twitterpated song, but at least the characters had aged, so you feel bambi had time to recover from what happened, whereas simba only had a day or two, if that, before meeting timon and pumbaa.
big kid at heart
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

sunhuntin wrote:with bambi, the scenes following the death, with his father, drive the point home. the silence, the quiet voice, the snow falling and all but obscuring the picture.
with lion king, the immediate scene is scar telling the hyenas to kill him, followed by humorous falls into the thorns. a few minutes later, we are singing hakuna matata, and all is right with the world.

bambis mother was handled in a much more serious and mature fashion that did not seek to shield the young audience from the pain of someone so young losing the only parent he had ever really known. lion king sought to help the audience forget the tragedy and remind them everything would be ok. yes, with bambi we moved quickly on to the twitterpated song, but at least the characters had aged, so you feel bambi had time to recover from what happened, whereas simba only had a day or two, if that, before meeting timon and pumbaa.
Didn't Simba remain traumitised by the event of his father into adulthood? Because he thinks he's the one responsible for Mufasa dying in the stampede, he retains that guilt and that's why he fears returning home. I've long felt the film was saying that "Hakuna Matata" was a flawed system and that Timon and Pumbaa's philosophy of forgetting your past isn't effective in removing trauma. Rafiki's meeting with Simba and him eventually seeing his father in the clouds, plus him seeing Nala again, are important in showing Simba that he can't just block out what happened.

Yes, there's more comedy in The Lion King, but I don't think the filmmakers ever shy away from the tragedy of what happened to Mufasa and the effect it has on Simba throughout his life.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

sunhuntin wrote:with bambi, the scenes following the death, with his father, drive the point home. the silence, the quiet voice, the snow falling and all but obscuring the picture.

True, but the hyena chase in The Lion King was actually followed by the scene where both the rest of the pride and Rafiki mourns over Mufasa. So while those scenes have bits of comedy in between, the grief is given some time in Lion King as well. In fact, Bambi pretty much gets excludes with the grief after the transitional scene to the spring.