DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:55 am 
Ultimate Collector's Edition

You should probably be grateful for Gad though, if you like Hunchback and want to see that film get this attention, since it appears like he's the driving force behind making this happen? I personally like Gad, so that might be why I'm looking forward to this despite never being that big fan of Hunchback aside from Menken's soundtrack, Tony Jay, and Frollo.

Kimberly Nichole ~ "Creep" (cover)
The Goo Goo Dolls ~ "Iris"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:41 pm 
Gold Classic Collection

Yeah.. No I'm not thankful for him.
I mean, after what they did with Maleficent (which was supposed to be this grandiose masterpiece because Jolie was attached).
Honestly, I really don't care about what's getting made or not when it comes to these remakes...Aside from The Little Mermaid that is but I guess that's only because I'll happy to get more mermaids scenes even if that film ends up being awful.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:20 am 

*shrug* :lol: Doesn't much matter to me either way. I don't consider myself a fan of Hunchback. That said, at least this and Pinocchio sound like proper remakes, not like the garbage that's happened / is happening with Mulan, Cruella, TLM, Snow White, and Hercules.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:00 am 
Gold Classic Collection

I still haven't watched Cruella and don't know if I will because I love the animated film and Glenn Close's performance. Most people say it's decent but I'm still not convinced. These origin stories are delicate to achieve and to me Maleficent is the worst remake so far. I mean, Mulan and the rest had, at least, the decency to respect the overall flow and message of each animated films they were based on but Maleficent was a huge FU to Sleeping Beauty's story and characters.

Last edited by Redadoodles on Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:53 am 
Platinum Edition

Redadoodles wrote:
Most people say it's decent but I'm still not convinced. These origin stories are delicate and to me Maleficent is the worst remake so far. but Maleficent was a huge FU to Sleeping Beauty's beauty story and characters.

Agreed! I couldn`t have said it better myself! The story is skimpy, with a major inconsistency to the original feature. The visuals are generic, as it doesn`t look like Sleeping Beauty at all and looks like every other fantasy movie ever made. But perhaps the worst choice was the casting of Elle Fanning as Aurora, as she was a complete miscast: She looked too young for the part and lacked beauty or any charisma whatsoever.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:14 pm 

I guess I don't consider Maleficent a remake exactly, but a reimagining. I'd have given Cruella a similar pass for being a reimagining if the character actually looked like herself there--the hair, the height, the cigarettes, and furs. In comparison, Jolie looked almost entirely like Maleficent, including the staff and the cold regal air, even if they re-imagined the character's backstory.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:44 pm 
Anniversary Edition

Redadoodles wrote:
I still haven't watched Cruella and don't know if I will because I love the animated film and Glenn Close's performance. Most people say it's decent but I'm still not convinced. These origin stories are delicate and to me Maleficent is the worst remake so far. In my opinion, Mulan and the rest at least had the decency to respect the overall flow and message of each animated films they were based on but Maleficent was a huge FU to Sleeping Beauty's beauty story and characters.

Good for you! :up: :up:

Giving you all my applause for not giving this garbage an audience. I would literally stick a knife in my liver than watch Estella....oops I mean Cruella. As if Maleficent wasn't trash enough. #NotMyCruella

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:35 am 

You can view Maleficent and Cruella as alternate, what if movies. And since Cruella is fun, I reccomend a watch.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:10 pm 
Anniversary Edition

Praying actual Roma are considered for the roles just to tick off a certain salty queen I know who spouts out lies about the Romani.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:27 pm 

Disney Duster wrote:
You can view Maleficent and Cruella as alternate, what if movies. And since Cruella is fun, I reccomend a watch.

It could be a long time before I see Cruella, since it's relegated to Disney+ for now. Probably not until it shows up on Freeform. I always give them one view even if they're bad.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:47 pm 
Collector's Edition

As far as I'm concerned the only good thing about Hunchback's and Hercules' remakes is that the originals might be released on 4K.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:13 am 

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:
It could be a long time before I see Cruella, since it's relegated to Disney+ for now. Probably not until it shows up on Freeform. I always give them one view even if they're bad.

I hope it comes to Freeform soon, then! Everyone thinks Cruella's a good one!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:30 am 
Gold Classic Collection

DisneyFan09 wrote:
Redadoodles wrote:
Most people say it's decent but I'm still not convinced. These origin stories are delicate and to me Maleficent is the worst remake so far. but Maleficent was a huge FU to Sleeping Beauty's beauty story and characters.

Agreed! I couldn`t have said it better myself! The story is skimpy, with a major inconsistency to the original feature. The visuals are generic, as it doesn`t look like Sleeping Beauty at all and looks like every other fantasy movie ever made. But perhaps the worst choice was the casting of Elle Fanning as Aurora, as she was a complete miscast: She looked too young for the part and lacked beauty or any charisma whatsoever.

To be honest, Aurora is the least of my worries when it comes to that film. I mean, sure she’s bland and forgettable but she’s not that awful compared to the treatment of the other characters. I still can’t believe they turned Stephan into a psychotic power hungry rapist when he was a devoted husband and father in the original.
Then, you have the fairies who went from being sweet, hilarious and brave to embarrassingly annoying and obnoxious.

Finally, all the male characters in the film are either awful people or completely useless to the plot (Hello Phillip!!).
You could argue that Diaval is sweet and caring but if you actually think about it, he only gets that treatment because he’s Maleficent’s servant. There’s clearly some disturbing feminazi subtext there.
I tried to find another likeable man in the movie but I couldn't spot one.. Not even the guard who takes Aurora to the king. He literally drags her by the arm like a prisoner. :lol:

What’s funny is that they tried to make the film appear feminist friendly when the original was not only a beautiful film but also had a strong feminist message as the three fairies save not only Phillip and Aurora but also the entire kingdom. Of course, it seems like Disney execs think that if the female characters are over 20, the message might not be clear and loud enough for the dumb audience that's watching.

Disney's Divinity wrote:
I guess I don't consider Maleficent a remake exactly, but a reimagining. I'd have given Cruella a similar pass for being a reimagining if the character actually looked like herself there--the hair, the height, the cigarettes, and furs. In comparison, Jolie looked almost entirely like Maleficent, including the staff and the cold regal air, even if they re-imagined the character's backstory.

I would gladly consider this a reimagining if they had tried to distance themselves from the original and used different names (especially for Stephan). The fact that they used Once Upon A Dream at the end is such a blatant example of how they don't care about the script nor the project because that song doesn't fit whatsoever with the content of the film.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:57 am 

I think Phillip and Diaval are both interesting male characters in Maleficent. As you said, even the three good fairies--all female--are made useless in Maleficent, so I don't really see it a "feminazi" subtext that men are lesser otherwise they wouldn't have done the same to the female fairies.... You could turn that kind of logic around in reverse and apply it to 20-30 animated Disney films and call them misogynist since none of the female characters have any use other than to be saved or be killed at the end, depending on if an attractive male character is in love with them or not. Phillip isn't any more useless in this film than Aurora is in the original or the Queen who is a nonentity. It's not that complex: The film operates the same way most every other story that makes the villain a "misunderstood good character"--it turns the original protagonists into villains. Just like in Cruella, apparentlydalmatians killed Cruella's mother or something. rotfl

I do think, however, there was an attempted matriarchal / nature v. patriarchal / civilization dynamic in this film between the protagonist and villain.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:43 pm 
Gold Classic Collection

Disney's Divinity wrote:
I think Phillip and Diaval are both interesting male characters in Maleficent. As you said, even the three good fairies--all female--are made useless in Maleficent, so I don't really see it a "feminazi" subtext that men are lesser otherwise they wouldn't have done the same to the female fairies.... You could turn that kind of logic around in reverse and apply it to 20-30 animated Disney films and call them misogynist since none of the female characters have any use other than to be saved or be killed at the end, depending on if an attractive male character is in love with them or not. Phillip isn't any more useless in this film than Aurora is in the original or the Queen who is a nonentity. It's not that complex: The film operates the same way most every other story that makes the villain a "misunderstood good character"--it turns the original protagonists into villains. Just like in Cruella, apparentlydalmatians killed Cruella's mother or something. rotfl

I do think, however, there was an attempted matriarchal / nature v. patriarchal / civilization dynamic in this film between the protagonist and villain.

Well, Aurora is my favourite Disney princess so clearly I don't agree with you concerning her character. Actually I disagree about most of what you wrote in your post. Let's just agree to disagree! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:10 pm 

Liking the character is an opinion that everyone has a right to--I don't like her, although the design and voice acting are both very pretty--but that wasn't what I was talking about anyway? :? I think it's factual to say that Aurora does nothing at all in the original film. Well, I suppose you could argue she attempts to resist Maleficent's spell later...but that only happened because of Merryweather's voice ringing in her ears, so I'd give the credit to the fairies for that, too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:47 pm 
Platinum Edition

Redadoodles wrote:
To be honest, Aurora is the least of my worries when it comes to that film. I mean, sure she’s bland and forgettable but she’s not that awful compared to the treatment of the other characters. I still can’t believe they turned Stephan into a psychotic power hungry rapist when he was a devoted husband and father in the original.
Then, you have the fairies who went from being sweet, hilarious and brave to embarrassingly annoying and obnoxious.

Agreed! That was always my main gripe with Stephan! He wasn`t an antagonist in the animated feature, so why even bother to make him one in Maleficent? He`s Aurora`s father, for God`s sake!

Quote:
I would gladly consider this a reimagining if they had tried to distance themselves from the original and used different names (especially for Stephan). The fact that they used Once Upon A Dream at the end is such a blatant example of how they don't care about the script nor the project because that song doesn't fit whatsoever with the content of the film.

Word! I couldn`t have said it better myself!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6