Descendants: The Royal Wedding

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
NeoSuperBlissey
Gold Classic Collection

Descendants: The Royal Wedding

Post by NeoSuperBlissey »

Deadline.com is reporting that an animated special, "Descendants: The Royal Wedding," will air on Disney Channel this summer. The special will be dedicated to the memory of Carlos deVil actor Cameron Boyce (who passed away in 2019), with the character's absence set to be explained in some as-yet-unknown way.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Descendants: The Royal Wedding

Post by Sotiris »

Logo.

Source: https://twitter.com/DisneyD23/status/13 ... 2251212802
"Descendants: The Royal Wedding," an animated special that invites viewers to Auradon's epic social event - Mal and King Ben's wedding - will premiere this summer on Disney Channel. Reprising their popular roles are Dove Cameron as Mal, Sofia Carson as Evie, Booboo Stewart as Jay, Mitchell Hope as Ben, Sarah Jeffery as Audrey, Melanie Paxson as Fairy Godmother, China Anne McClain as Uma, Jedidiah Goodacre as Chad, Anna Cathcart as Dizzy, Dan Payne as Beast, Bobby Moynihan as Dude the Dog and Cheyenne Jackson as Hades. The absence of the character Carlos, played by the late Cameron Boyce, will be acknowledged in the storyline and Boyce's memory will be honored in the telecast.

Gary Marsh, president and chief creative officer, Disney Branded Television, said, "'Descendants' introduced a fantasy world of stories and characters anchored in Disney mythology. For the past six years, it captivated young viewers and grew to become among Disney Channel's biggest entertainment franchises ever. It had the benefit of immensely talented stars, who we now welcome back for this animated 'Royal Wedding' special that will bridge the audience to what we hope will be a new chapter of compelling 'Descendants' stories and characters yet to come."

"Descendants: The Royal Wedding," by Sara Parriott & Josann McGibbon and Ricky Roxburgh, is based on the "Descendants" movies by Parriott and McGibbon ("The Starter Wife," "Runaway Bride," "Descendants," "Descendants 2", "Descendants 3"). Produced by Le Cube, Salvador Simó is set to direct.
Source: http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2021 ... 2disney01/
“I mean, you guys know how much I adore Descendants and Evie, she changed my life forever,” Sofia said. “This is an animation, like an animated special. There was an animated series for Descendants called Wicked World, and Disney wanted to do kind of one last chapter and it’s the wedding special.” “I don’t know how much I can spoil, but I know that that has been revealed, and you know, you can imagine it was tremendously difficult to do without Cam,” she continued. “But you know, the fans love this franchise so much, and I think they’re really excited about kind of seeing this special that they put together.”

When asked if there was a reason they did it as an animated special as opposed to live action, Sofia said, “I honestly couldn’t have imagined doing a live action without him… You have no idea [how hard it was]. Yeah, it was tough.” “They don’t bring back his character but he is honored,” Sofia added. “It is touched on… Fans, ever since Descendants 3 have been asking for another chapter, and I think this felt like the right way to do it.”
Source: https://www.justjaredjr.com/2021/04/08/ ... ron-boyce/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I can't wait for this.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The animated special will air on August 13, 2021. Interestingly, the production studio has changed since the initial announcement from Le Cube to Final Frontier Entertainment.
Bibbidi, Bobbidi, Boom! "Descendants: The Royal Wedding" invites viewers to Auradon's most anticipated social soiree —Mal and King Ben's wedding. Happily-ever-after continues for Auradon's power couple as they prepare to say "I do" at an epic celebration with their friends and family, but Hades threatens to ruin it all. TThe animated special will feature a brand new song, and the original "Descendants" cast is set to reprise their roles including Dove Cameron as Mal, Sofia Carson as Evie, Booboo Stewart as Jay, Mitchell Hope as Ben, Sarah Jeffery as Audrey, Melanie Paxson as Fairy Godmother, China Anne McClain as Uma, Jedidiah Goodacre as Chad, Anna Cathcart as Dizzy, Dan Payne as Beast, Bobby Moynihan as Dude the Dog and Cheyenne Jackson as Hades.
Source: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... ey-Channel
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oooh cool promos! Pretty animation, you know, for, not feature Disney animation.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

yeay Im glad Hades/Cheyenne is back!(even if its just his voice!) I actually liked the Wicked World shorts so I hope the new studio keeps those designs... though it looks like this might be 2d(which for Disney Channel probably means something cheap like flash.) :|
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

The animation isn't smooth Disney feature quality, but I found it beautiful nontheless.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

good lord I just accidentally stumbled upon the full trailer for this on YouTube while looking for something else:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0QOxiXNZ7Y

I think in this case I actually preferred the CGI animation from the shorts. At least those looked like the dolls. This reminds me of the animation used for straight to videos releases from the 90's(not the Disney ones, those had slightly higher quality animation, but for other studios), or those DC animated films. It just looks so weird.

I really REALLY hope the Tiana D+ show...or the animated segments for the Enchanted sequel... do NOT look like this. :huh:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Articles.

Inside the Magic of Descendants: The Royal Wedding
https://d23.com/inside-the-magic-of-des ... l-wedding/

Salvador Simó Walks ‘Descendants’ Down the Animation Aisle for ‘The Royal Wedding’
https://www.animationmagazine.net/tv/sa ... l-wedding/

‘Descendants’: Disney Channel SVP Addresses ‘Royal Wedding’ Cliffhanger
https://deadline.com/2021/08/descendant ... 234817413/

Is ‘Descendants 4’ Happening? The Cast Says Series May Not Be Over After All
https://www.j-14.com/posts/is-descendan ... isnt-over/
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

unprincess wrote:good lord I just accidentally stumbled upon the full trailer for this on YouTube while looking for something else:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0QOxiXNZ7Y

I think in this case I actually preferred the CGI animation from the shorts. At least those looked like the dolls. This reminds me of the animation used for straight to videos releases from the 90's(not the Disney ones, those had slightly higher quality animation, but for other studios), or those DC animated films. It just looks so weird.

I really REALLY hope the Tiana D+ show...or the animated segments for the Enchanted sequel... do NOT look like this. :huh:

Ooof! Yeah, that trailer is rough, haha! From my understanding though the new Moana and Tiana series are going to be produced by a new Animation Studio Disney is founding in Canada, so I’m assuming they both will be a higher standard.

I’m overall looking forward to this. I’ve found the series as a whole pretty charming, and I can’t deny that I’ve really loved some of the songs. “What’s My Name” is in my opinion one of the best songs ever written for a Disney Channel Movie. So I’ll be checking this out!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I think "Queen of Mean" is one of the best songs ever! It's honestly one of my favorite songs!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

The animation was really jerky and the story lame and kinda stupid, but at least I did enjoy the frames of animation that were in, hehehe. Loved the Fairy Godmother stuff the most. I was surprised it sounded like some of the cast was voice actors that weren't the original actors. Was that the case?
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I didn't know this was out already and for some reason I thought it was gonna a Disney + thing. Guess Ill have to keep an eye out for a rerun or check Xfinity on demand to see if its available there.
NeoSuperBlissey
Gold Classic Collection

Post by NeoSuperBlissey »

Speaking of Disney+ as unprincess was, I can tell you that, according to What's On Disney Plus, "Descendants: The Royal Wedding" will debut on the service on September 17th.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Dove Cameron has a single out. Like Olivia Rodrigo, she's trying to make herself sound like Billie Eillish. That's why I didn't get Rodrigo's album right away, because, although I loved her voice on HSM: The Musical: The Series, it was like she was putting an affect on for her pop stuff. But, hey, I hope it works out for Cameron. She seems nice enough.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Dove's had other music released before. She was in a band called The Girl and the Dreamcatcher, and she's had other solo singles released: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dove_Ca ... iscography

I've always loved her voice.