Mary Poppins Returns

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Re: Mary Poppins Returns

Post by Old Fish Tale »

thedisneyspirit wrote:I think i'm the only person in the world who doesn't find Miranda as amazing as everyone constantly does. :? The fact that Disney seems enamored with him and placing him in every project and him inserting his shitty rap everywhere even where it doesn't fit (freaking Mary Poppins?) is not appealing at all. :roll:
Errr... Dick Van Dyke rapped in 'Mary Poppins'. Meryl Streep rapped in 'Into the Woods'. Why can't he rap in 'Mary Poppins Returns'? Don't worry. It won't sound like an Eminem song.
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

I finally realized why the theatrical poster is so freaking good. It seems to be inspired by the poster artwork of the late great Bob Peak, who was a very talented artist and illustrator who designed most of the musical film posters of the 1960's and 70's. With his best known ones being the posters for My Fair Lady and Excalibur.

Very proud of Disney for going this route instead of doing it the modern way which isn't terrible, but is starting to get old.
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

thedisneyspirit wrote: I dunno, aside from his music just overall leaving me underwhelmed most stuff I've read about this guy just turns me off. I can just smell the ego and smugness running off this guy and I hate how american/european liberals and other idiots on the internet want him to be the Latino icon that represents Latinamerica as a whole, while ignoring other more deserving latinos, is just insulting.
Yeah, there's an annoying trend when it comes to Latino celebrities where one person is elevated to the point that they represent the whole Latin American community. I know lots of people can't stand Sofia Vergara because they feel she fits in a similar mold as you described Lin.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

And Old Fish Tale just showed that it's impossible to not have a neutral opinion on Miranda, the moment somebody isn't fawning all over him like a wild dog, the fanboys will rush in, with knives and torches at hand, ready to kill anyone who disrespected the master. And accusations of "racist", "bigoted"; will soon follow.

JeanGreyForever, yes, I agree, it's basically insulting to the latin community as a whole. We've had artists, singers, philosophers, writers, and so much more for so many years, but all of them get ignored in favor of this rando who just popped up in the last years. It makes it seem as if all of our own hard work and artistry doesn't mean shit since we didn't cuddle up with Uncle Sam to make our work noticed. And morons want to make HIM the face of the Latin-American community? No, get the hell out of here. Maybe he can stand for Latin-USAians, but the rest of the continent don't need that crap.

In b4 disneyprincess, estefan and fish tale accuse me of being a bigot. :D
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

thedisneyspirit wrote:And Old Fish Tale just showed that it's impossible to not have a neutral opinion on Miranda, the moment somebody isn't fawning all over him like a wild dog, the fanboys will rush in, with knives and torches at hand, ready to kill anyone who disrespected the master. And accusations of "racist", "bigoted"; will soon follow.

JeanGreyForever, yes, I agree, it's basically insulting to the latin community as a whole. We've had artists, singers, philosophers, writers, and so much more for so many years, but all of them get ignored in favor of this rando who just popped up in the last years. It makes it seem as if all of our own hard work and artistry doesn't mean shit since we didn't cuddle up with Uncle Sam to make our work noticed. And morons want to make HIM the face of the Latin-American community? No, get the hell out of here. Maybe he can stand for Latin-USAians, but the rest of the continent don't need that crap.

In b4 disneyprincess, estefan and fish tale accuse me of being a bigot. :D
Thanks for answering my question. Hehehe! Stay pressed.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Old Fish Tale wrote: Thanks for answering my question. Hehehe! Stay pressed.
LMAO! I SCREAMED at "stay pressed." But you're right! It seems like rap has such a bad connotation on this forum. Like you said, Dick Van Dyke rapped in 'Mary Poppins' and Meryl Streep rapped in 'Into the Woods.' It won't be like Jay-Z.
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

JeanGreyForever wrote:
thedisneyspirit wrote:I think i'm the only person in the world who doesn't find Miranda as amazing as everyone constantly does. :? The fact that Disney seems enamored with him and placing him in every project and him inserting his shitty rap everywhere even where it doesn't fit (freaking Mary Poppins?) is not appealing at all. :roll:
You're certainly not the only one. In fact, this is the more popular consensus on this forum. I haven't seen Hamilton but I've listened to some of the songs and they don't do anything for me. The songs from Moana are fine but I didn't find them exceptional either. It's middle-tier when it comes to Disney soundtracks for me.
You're not alone. I HAVE seen Hamilton and my wife and I were totally underwhelmed by it like, "Really? We went through all that work to get tickets for THIS?" It was just ok for me. I do think LMM is talented and I thought Hamilton was decent, but I don't think either worthy of all the hype. Just my opinion; beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that . . .

I'm not worried about the rap in this movie because as others have pointed out, other movies have had rap-like sequences and been ok. And while it wasn't my personal favorite, the rapping in "You're Welcome" didn't stand out (as in a "this doesn't fit" way) the same way I thought "Shiny" did.

As for Emily Blunt, I do enjoy her work, but was pretty surprised (and skeptical) by the announcement that she had been cast. That being said, I have to say that I am rather intrigued by what they showed in the trailer. Her voice is different, but she did seem to capture the essence of Mary Poppins for me - particularly with the line where she is scolding Michael about discussing a woman's age and then at the very end where she falls into the bath tub. I just hope that vocally she is up to snuff. IMO, Julie Andrews is in a league all her own. And I wasn't overly impressed by Blunt's vocals in "Into the Woods." I can't decide whether it was her vocals or whether it was the material she had to work with. Right now, I'm leaning toward the latter and staying optimistic that she can knock it out of the park as Mary Poppins.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Miranda is an asshole, and easily the single, most unappealing thing about Mary Poppins Returns so far. That’s the reason I won’t be seeing this in theaters or buying the soundtrack, because I’m not giving the man one penny.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

It’s okay, Duster. My eyes are much better now, but it can still hurt. I’m just grateful for my sight. Minus the colors, the scene is wonderful!

Not to be a fan girl, but am I missing something with the Lin hate? I know we are worried about the LM movie and the Moana soundtrack is hit and miss here. But, asshole? Parasite in another forum? Isn’t that a little much? Did someone have a bad encounter with him?
Last edited by disneyprincess11 on Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disney's Divinity

disneyprincess11 wrote: Not to be a fan girl, but am I missing something with the Lin hate? I know we are worried about the LM movie and the Moana soundtrack is hit and miss here. But, asshole? Parasite in another forum? Isn’t that a little much? Did someone have a bad encounter with him?
:lol: That would be pretty hard to accomplish from NC. As if I’d ever want to meet him in the first place. I'd rather meet people like Alan Menken, Angela Lansbury, Cate Blanchett, Joy Behar, Kelly Clarkson, Dolly, Groban, Bette, Christina, Hillary, etc. etc. if I wanted to encounter a celebrity.

As for the first part of your post, you must be thinking of Duster. Sorry you're experiencing optic neuritis though; that sounds terrible.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Haha, my bad and thank you! Funny thing is I almost did meet Lin a while ago at a IN THE HEIGHTS signing and my plans fell through :( , but I did see Bette in Hello Dolly and she was phenomenal. And I actually met Paige O'Hara while I worked at Disney and she was the sweetest woman!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Lin Manuel doesn't bother me in the slightest. I haven't listened to all of Hamilton yet, but I didn't like most of what I heard, but I like most of Moana's songs, and I liked him as Burt in the trailer, and I have no idea what he will be doing in The Little Mermaid, so I have no reason to hate him.
disneyprincess11 wrote:It’s okay, Duster. My eyes are much better now, but it can still hurt. I’m just grateful for my sight. Minus the colors, the scene is wonderful!

Not to be a fan girl, but am I missing something with the Lin hate? I know we are worried about the LM movie and the Moana soundtrack is hit and miss here. But, asshole? Parasite in another forum? Isn’t that a little much? Did someone have a bad encounter with him?
Could I see a comparison of the scene you are talking about and "Jolly Holiday"? Unless it will hurt your eyes?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I really wish this were a remake or a reboot instead of a sequel. Emily Blunt would have been able to put her own spin on the character instead of trying to replicate Julie's version (which she has to since it's supposed to be the same person). I, for one, have a hard time believing she's the same Mary Poppins of the original. I'm also not too keen on the inclusion of the Bert-like character, Jack. Not only it's unoriginal (they're just changing his occupation and name, it's the same character otherwise), but by having him serve as Mary Poppins' new love interest (which they surely will) takes away from her and Bert's romance and cheapens the special bond they had. All of these implications could have been avoided with a remake.

Regarding the storyline, it's a bit too paint-by-the numbers. The Banks children turning out just like their parents is too convenient and clichéd for me and I've grown quite weary of the man-forgoes-his-inner-child trope. I wish they went with a fresher approach for Michael's arc.

The production numbers look ambitious and lush which is to be expected since that's the area Marshall excels in. The 2D animation looks a little too digital for my taste, but beggers can't be choosers.
Disney's Divinity wrote:Miranda is easily the single, most unappealing thing about Mary Poppins Returns so far.
Agreed. While I think he's a decent (albeit overrated) songwriter, I find him horrible as an actor. His British accent here is abysmal. I kept cringing whenever he spoke in the trailer.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I'm a little confused by the "asshole" remark, too, and I'm genuinely interested in if he did anything to warrant such a label.

For the record, I'm not a LMM fanboy. I'm only familiar with his Moana songs and some of the Hamilton songs, in addition to him singing the theme song for the new Magic School Bus series. I don't even follow him on Twitter. I merely saw that Tweet retweeted onto my timeline and found it amusing and oddly fitting, since a previous poster just happened to mislabel Mary Poppins Returns a remake (which is confusing, considering the "Returns" in the title and it's about the Banks children grown up).

From my point of view, he's just a guy who had a monumentally successful Broadway musical and like anyone who had an extremely successful project, Hollywood studios want to hire him for their productions.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney's Divinity

Sotiris wrote: Agreed. While I think he's a decent (albeit overrated) songwriter, I find him horrible as an actor. His British accent here is abysmal. I kept cringing whenever he spoke in the trailer.
So do I. But I wonder how anyone would've thought he should be playing Bert? Why not some random character like Lansbury / Streep, where he isn't trying to look / sound like a previous character he looks / sounds nothing like? I suppose he decided to push himself in to play a character since he was already composing, which is what is happening with the live-action TLM, too. Although I guess it's not worth bothering about there, since it looks like the TLM film is headed straight into the garbage anyway. This film, on the other hand, actually has potential thanks to the rest of the cast list.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I wouldn't be shocked if they end up hiring Lin to play King Triton or even Sebastian at this point.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

To me this isn't the same versions of the characters as the original. Same characters, yes, but different versions.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I suppose he decided to push himself in to play a character since he was already composing.
Thankfully, he's not composing for Mary Poppins Returns. Marc Shaiman and Scott Whitman are the songwriters. Of course, they decided to add rapping in the movie just because LMM is in it. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out he requested that.
JeanGreyForever wrote:I wouldn't be shocked if they end up hiring Lin to play King Triton or even Sebastian at this point.
Just a voice acting gig wouldn't satisfy him. He would want a role that's in front of the camera. King Triton will be Black so that's out of the question too. My money is on Grimsby.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

TheSequelOfDisney wrote:Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
rotfl

Bless you, David. #WIST

The occasional priceless nuggets like this is what keeps me coming back.

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?